Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, cool! I just got through the HD version for the first time, and with the few tweaks they gave it, it's definitely in contention for my all-time favorite game. Especially with the change to how sailing is handled, I just can't get enough of the overworld (not to mention the main overworld theme, which somehow doesn't get old after ten or fifteen hours in the ship). I've enjoyed the new perspective on Ocarina of Time from the blind playthrough of that game, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the videos for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Having never played many Zeldas before, all I can really say right now is that the cel shading in HD is very pretty. :3:

Yoake
Sep 13, 2011

This LP is already great. Have some dumb art.

I'm all for BUDZ being a crazy ocean-worshipping person.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Times like this I wish I could art. I'm always jealous when the artists come out of the woodwork in LP threads :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yoake posted:

This LP is already great. Have some dumb art.

I'm all for BUDZ being a crazy ocean-worshipping person.
Oh my god :h:

I need to go back and gut my second post so it can be used for art stuff :3: You guys are outstanding

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

A charming LPer playing a charming game! I haven't seen an LP this charming since Medibot started another Kirby LP... so it's been like a couple of weeks!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

When does the Hyrule/Lordran rap beef begin?

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Everything so far is has been SO ADORABLE. :swoon:

Also, when Vicas backseat games, he throws his legs over the back of the driver's seat and begins to drive with his feet.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Just want to say Geop that I have not stopped laughing or smiling during the first two videos. This is a great LP, keep up your enthusiasm.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Holy crap, those clouds! This is an amazingly pretty game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Huh, a left-handed Link. Interesting.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Link's always been left handed save for the silly Wii games :ssh:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bellmaker posted:

Link's always been left handed save for the silly Wii games :ssh:

Not being a Nintendo owner of any kind, I would not know this. Plus I figure they used mirrored sprites in the earliest games.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Not being a Nintendo owner of any kind, I would not know this. Plus I figure they used mirrored sprites in the earliest games.

His sprite was left-handed more often than it was right-handed for the early games, and in the more recent ones they actually bother to have separate sprites for left/right facing so he's always left-handed. :eng101:

e: They actually had some sort of silly excuse for why his sprite flipped, like "always keep your shield pointed towards the evil mountain" or something.

e2: Also, remember how there was a gamecube version of Twilight Princess in addition to the Wii version? Well, he was right-handed in the wii version and left-handed in the GC version. But to make sure there weren't any goofy balance issues, they mirrored the entire game world between the versions.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 6, 2015

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

aaaa those pictures, Id! =}

Also I just wanted to plug this in here, but I can't believe the charm/polish in this game. Noticed this while editing, but your sister smiles for the camera once it does the "YOU GOT THE TELESCOPE" animation. So adorable:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wind Waker is such an amazing game it's funny to look back on all the negative attention it got pre release. It's always great to see someone's first reaction to it

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

bobjr posted:

Wind Waker is such an amazing game it's funny to look back on all the negative attention it got pre release. It's always great to see someone's first reaction to it

I suppose for a lot of folks who expecting something along the lines of the early Gamecube tech demo the art style change was really jarring. Only a couple of games had ever done cel shading before this too so most people had never seen anything like it before.

Honestly I kinda see where some of the criticism is coming from. While Link and the various environments look great a lot of the NPC's in the game have their designs so simplified and stylised that they just come off as really blocky and freaky looking.

Of course then the response to Wind Waker led to them swinging back way too far in the other direction and making Twilight Princess. Not that Twilight Princess is a bad game, (It's got by far the best dungeons of all the 3D Zeldas and a lot of really neat, if underutilised, tricks and items to play with,) but it's choice of art with all the weird lighting effects wasn't a great decision.

They really didn't get it right, in my mind, until Skyward Sword. You can complain all you want about the motion controls in that game but goddamn the art is loving perfect. I'm really glad that the upcoming Wii U Zelda appears to be sticking with it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I've said it before but I really hate Link's appearance. His eyes are too big and football shaped compared to most of the other characters, and for all the "expressiveness" people claim it gives him, that's not really capitalized on in any way as you would have been able to do the same with a smaller head at the same resolution and distance from the camera. On the other hand, all the non-linklike characters are really great and I wish they gave you more than just minimal interaction with all the interesting looking people. I don't think there's a single person that looks like another which also isn't a "plot character."

I'm not so sure what difference the HD version makes aside from a clearness boost, though, as the textures are already somewhat minimal... At least give me a bonus dungeon or something. They haven't done that since Link's Awakening DX.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cheez posted:

I've said it before but I really hate Link's appearance. His eyes are too big and football shaped compared to most of the other characters, and for all the "expressiveness" people claim it gives him, that's not really capitalized on in any way as you would have been able to do the same with a smaller head at the same resolution and distance from the camera. On the other hand, all the non-linklike characters are really great and I wish they gave you more than just minimal interaction with all the interesting looking people. I don't think there's a single person that looks like another which also isn't a "plot character."

I'm not so sure what difference the HD version makes aside from a clearness boost, though, as the textures are already somewhat minimal... At least give me a bonus dungeon or something. They haven't done that since Link's Awakening DX.

You really have just the worst opinions don't you.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Rumda posted:

You really have just the worst opinions don't you.

Opinions can be wrong? Someone's in the football eyes elitist club today!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

When on a forum about video games... Yes. :rolleyes:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is the only Zelda game I have finished, and my first console Zelda. In retrospect, it isn't that memorable for its gameplay, it's all about the charming design. I remember the combat audio cues and music better than the actual battle system or any of the dungeons.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
There are a lot of aspects that WindWaker does that other Zelda games don't that I really like, but since this is a blind LP I'll leave them for Geop to discover. The countering system is a big part of them, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, apparently booger kid is considered the epitome of cuteness in Japan.

I don't get it either.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray it is the best Zelda game! Well, my favourite anyway. Everything about it is just wonderful and charming. The sound design is amazing too. Played the poo poo out of the original, interested to see the fancy new bits.

Also how far in advance was this recorded? Are you still playing it? Because there's a million and a half great little things to do and I hope your co-commentators direct you to some of them. You must roll into the wall in Orca's house.

And that personal self rear end-kicking machine is excellent.

Oh, and I just remembered, there's an official manga thingamabob for this game. Think it's called something like Link's Logbook? It is The Best.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
We've actually only done one recording session because I'm an rear end in a top hat who travels for the holidays and only just got back

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

By the way, apparently booger kid is considered the epitome of cuteness in Japan.

I don't get it either.

When I think of cute I think of getting sticky nose leakings all over me. It doesn't sound right though, because everyone I've seen (from Japan) who's played this game didn't like the kid too much.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

President Ark posted:

His sprite was left-handed more often than it was right-handed for the early games, and in the more recent ones they actually bother to have separate sprites for left/right facing so he's always left-handed. :eng101:

e: They actually had some sort of silly excuse for why his sprite flipped, like "always keep your shield pointed towards the evil mountain" or something.

e2: Also, remember how there was a gamecube version of Twilight Princess in addition to the Wii version? Well, he was right-handed in the wii version and left-handed in the GC version. But to make sure there weren't any goofy balance issues, they mirrored the entire game world between the versions.

Right Handed Link is often regarded as the Black Sheep of the Links, Nintendo classes the GC version as the official one anyway, the Wii port of TP was purely to squeeze out extra sales as the old Cube was running on vapors at that time.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Judge Tesla posted:

Right Handed Link is often regarded as the Black Sheep of the Links, Nintendo classes the GC version as the official one anyway, the Wii port of TP was purely to squeeze out extra sales as the old Cube was running on vapors at that time.

Of course Hyrule Historia and Hyrule Warriors uses the mirrored versions like a bunch of jerks. :argh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Graphically the only thing that looks bad to me is that Nintendo went too heavy with the bloom. Besides that it looks really nice!

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

You went too heavy with the bloom, this game is without flaw or peer

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Captain Fargle posted:

a lot of the NPC's in the game have their designs so simplified and stylised that they just come off as really blocky and freaky looking.

Considering what came before...

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Even outside of fluff and gameplay, using your sword in the left hand has helped me a lot in sparring, since left handed people are somewhat rare(10% I think?) and most people that are left handed still use their right hand has their sword hand since the person training them is most likely right handed, same with martial arts, people get mindfucked since they're not used to fighting someone who for all intents and purposes is doing stuff mirrored to them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh yeah I just remembered, spoiler policy's active for Wind Waker, but what about other Zelda games? What's the policy for those?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cheez posted:

Opinions can be wrong? Someone's in the football eyes elitist club today!

Move it, football-eyes!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
They're cat eyes, I know hand eggs are common in the United States but cmon :smith:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Dastardly posted:

They're cat eyes, I know hand eggs are common in the United States but cmon :smith:

Didn't you know? There is only america now :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

Okay, so first of all, my head would have to be a little bean. With real, real big eyes. Get rid of my thumbs, make me all shiny ...my boots would be a whole lot cooler. Like robot boots. And for some reason, I got blue hair. You gotta have blue hair. Then there's my mouth. Real tiny when it's closed; ridiculously huge when it's open. And then you basically just put me in space and let me fly around in cool poses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh yeah I just remembered, spoiler policy's active for Wind Waker, but what about other Zelda games? What's the policy for those?
Eh, I honestly don't care about 'em :staredog: Folks shouldn't parade them around without good reason, that said.

• Locked thread