Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Geop posted:

Eh, I honestly don't care about 'em :staredog: Folks shouldn't parade them around without good reason, that said.

The thread is young, still plenty of time for it to devolve into people arguing over which Zeldas are best/worst for arbitrary reasons as well as the inevitable timeline spat. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

tlarn posted:

The thread is young, still plenty of time for it to devolve into people arguing over which Zeldas are best/worst for arbitrary reasons as well as the inevitable timeline spat. :smugdog:

Instead of doing that we should import the best seafaring developments from other games, like Zelda themed Sea shanty's for long boat rides.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Geop posted:

Eh, I honestly don't care about 'em :staredog: Folks shouldn't parade them around without good reason, that said.

Link beats Ganon.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

ban that man

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

tlarn posted:

Thanks to the Hyrule Historia (a brilliant way to get nerds to stop asking stupid questions while simultaneously seperating them from their money) There shouldn't be any timeline arguments. Other than the fact that Zelda "timelines" are kinda inherently dumb.

Stormgale posted:

Instead of doing that we should import the best seafaring developments from other games, like Zelda themed Sea shanty's for long boat rides.

YES. Somebody with talent should get on this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tlarn posted:

I like Spirit tracks and Phantom Hourglass.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Andrast posted:

Link beats Ganon.

maybe in some timelines :rolleyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stormgale posted:

I can only do lyrics, but I'll see if I can't whip some up.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Vicas posted:

I blame my brother for having that book with the Zelda timeline stuff (Hyrule Warriors thing?) for getting this reference.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah, Hyrule Historia showed that there is one true timeline.

Honestly though as long as they aren't blatantly discussing the timeline in the games I just figure it's decent background stuff.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
well it took 2 more pages then i predicted but there it is, zelduhtimeline.jpg

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Vicas posted:

We all know who the real hero is :colbert:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Kuvo posted:

Dude, that's not actually the timeline.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silegna posted:

Sure it is. It has Tingle and everything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kuvo posted:

That's not the actual timeline, it's way way way better.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Silegna posted:

:eyepop:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How about this one then?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I can only do lyrics, but I'll see if I can't whip some up.

Depending on if Geop is cool with it I might go buy a code for Hyrule Warriors for the WiiU and throw that up as a prize for the best shanty?

Cernunnos posted:

Thanks to the Hyrule Historia (a brilliant way to get nerds to stop asking stupid questions while simultaneously seperating them from their money) There shouldn't be any timeline arguments. Other than the fact that Zelda "timelines" are kinda inherently dumb.

The Only timelines anyone at Nintendo probably cares about are the lines of high grade coke they can buy considering anything Zelda related causes money to spontaneously fly out of peoples wallets (Including mine, The Hyrule Historia is really pretty to be fair).

Edit: Kuvo I will fight you with 1:1 motion control.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 6, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

How about this one then?

obv a fake because skyward sword is in the amazing category

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Obviously fake because Majora's Mask isn't in the amazing catagory.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kuvo posted:

Sindai posted:

These are both the rightest opinion.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kuvo posted:

Sindai posted:

Some Numbers posted:

These are both the rightest opinion.

Was literally just about to post these.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
alright I think this thread has hit its Official Zelda Timeline humor quota, thanks for the good work guys

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

RBA Starblade posted:

Graphically the only thing that looks bad to me is that Nintendo went too heavy with the bloom. Besides that it looks really nice!

That is specifically an issue with the HD version by the way. Compare. They also have some odd lighting decisions in HD, compare that screenshot Geop posted of getting the Telescope with this one, look at Aryll especially.

But really, apart from a very few minor issues, the HD version is a complete improvement over the original. I'd argue that they could have went a bit further at times, but whatever, it's still a great game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stormgale posted:

Depending on if Geop is cool with it I might go buy a code for Hyrule Warriors for the WiiU and throw that up as a prize for the best shanty?

I already have Hyrule Warriors, but here's a ditty set to the main menu theme. Particularly this abridged version because I'm not writing 5 minutes worth of lyrics.

As we sail across the wide blue oceans
On our journey, I wonder what awaits us, who can say?
On our journey, oh what shall we see on the way-hey?

Setting off from home with gleams of adventure in our eyes
The world that awaits us is all just a big surprise
So let's raise the anchor and set sail for endless glory
Let's travel and we'll write our own story

Heave ho
Heave ho

On our journey, I wonder what awaits us, who can say?
On our journey, oh what shall we see on the way-hey?

The sea is cold
But we still roam
Remembering
The ones at home

Quickly now
To the next land
To foreign sands

Who shall we see?
Some new friends
Life on the sea
Will never end

The winds shall see
Our destiny
That's all in a normal day
So let's go on our way
Let's go on our way
Go on our way

The sea is cold
But we still roam
Remembering
The ones at home

And if the waves
May take us there
We'll hold them close
With utmost care

For now, we sail the seas
Drifting, that's how we will be

Ahoy!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Mmm. I missed seeing nerds get really mad at Zelda lore, and nerds getting really mad at nerds getting really mad at Zelda lore. Thank you Geop.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Less timelines, more sea shanties:

Weigh heigh and up Link rises,
early on his birthday.

What shall we do as a drunken hero,
what shall we do as a drunken hero,
what shall we do as a drunken hero,
early in the mornin?

Figure how to jump from rock to rock there,
figure how to jump from rock to rock there,
figure how to jump from rock to rock there,
early in the mornin.

Head on off to gran'ma's for a sweater,
head on off to gran'ma's for a sweater,
head on off to gran'ma's for a sweater,
early in the mornin.

early on his birthday.

Chuck a little pig into the ocean,
chuck a little pig into the ocean,
chuck a little pig into the ocean,
early in the mornin.

See the woman's vase and try to tip it,
see the woman's vase and try to tip it,
see the woman's vase and try to tip it,
early in the mornin.

early on his birthday.

Find a booger kid just walkin round there,
find a booger kid just walkin round there,
find a booger kid just walkin round there,
early in the mornin.

Watch yer little sis be taken by a bird now,
watch yer little sis be taken by a bird now,
watch yet little sis be taken by a bird now,
early in the mornin.

early on his birthday.

Learn to swing a sword from some old man,
learn to swing a sword from some old man,
learn to swing a sword from some old man,
early in the mornin.

Go and steal a shield from grandma's house now,
go and steal a shield from grandma's house now,
go and steal a shield from grandma's house now,
early in the mornin.

early on his birthday.

Ignore little sis to chase a pig, we
ignore little sis to chase a pig, we
ignore little sis to chase a pig now,
early in the mornin.

Send everything back to mother ocean,
send everything back to mother ocean,
send everything back to mother ocean,
early in the mornin!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Robviously posted:

:allears: This is exactly what I was hoping would come out of this thread. Someone please sing this.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

SHANTIES :allears: Oh man oh man microphone time later maybe

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

This is the only Zelda that I've actually never played or gone out of my way to watch someone play so I'm really happy to be taking the ride along with everyone. (I will be damned if my lack of game knowledge stops me from writing more shanties.)

I'll admit that I was one of the people that was turned off by the change in art styles. To me, ,it seemed just a little too cartoony at the time and I think a big part of it was the cel shading. The only games I remember that were cel shaded around that time were Jet Set Radio and I want to say one of the DDR games. I know that I felt like it was a little too different from what I perceived as the overall tone of the series which, in retrospect, was a terrible opinion to have. Looking forward to seeing what I missed.

Edit: I'm sure at some point in this thread I will branch out to Pirates of Penzance or HMS Pinafore for inspirations but drat if shanties and sea songs aren't wonderful. :allears:

Robviously fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 6, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Geop posted:

SHANTIES :allears: Oh man oh man microphone time later maybe

Record a master of every sea shanty, release the file, and then have everyone in the thread add their voice.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jsor posted:

Record a master of every sea shanty, release the file, and then have everyone in the thread add their voice.
This is an amazing idea oh man

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So what I'm seeing is that in 5 years, we'll all be able to go watch The Legend of BUDZ on Broadway?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

If CATS was/is gonna be on Broadway, The Legend of BUDZ deserves to be there. :colbert:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Geop posted:

This is an amazing idea oh man

Then mod it into Asscreed Black Flag. :yarr:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh boy this game, you have chosen well. There's so much character in every detail of this game. I can't wait for you to get to the part which is every part.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Robviously posted:

:nsallears:

I didn't realize I was singing this to myself out loud until halfway through it :saddowns:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Geop posted:

You might want to ask people to to avoid spoilers for Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks since they are direct sequels to this game.

Okay! :eng101: post incoming!

For those of you reading this thread who are in the same boat as Geop and know jack poo poo about Zelda , all this timeline crap is probably really confusing. See, the Zelda series has a really, really loose chronology. Very few of the games are actually directly connected to each other and instead are linked by common themes and motifs. Each game features a hero called Link, (A young boy/teenager wearing a distinctive green outfit) who goes on a quest to save the land, (Generally the medieval fantasy kingdom of Hyrule) from some kind of evil wizard or demon. This often involves saving the local princess, Zelda (A young girl who is invariably the same age as Link and has magic princess soul powers or whatever) and trying to stop the evil du jour from getting their hands on a powerful sacred relic called the Triforce.

The confusion arises from the fact that sometimes the local iterations of these things isn't new. Sometimes it's a villain from previous game back for revenge, with a new Link and a new Zelda having to stop them, or sometimes it's an old Link from a previous game travelling off to new lands in search of adventure. As the years went by and the franchise grew, game after game compounded the whole issue and when asked to provide clarification or give some kind of official chronology, Nintendo would invariably refuse outright. The only answer anyone could get was "There is one". Fans were left on their own to try and work things out. Naturally this resulted in a lot of batshit and stupid nerd arguments because nerds.

It wasn't until the series 25th Anniversary and the release of Skyward Sword that Nintendo eventually chimed in on the matter. As part of the anniversary celebrations they released Hyrule Historia, a large art book filled with concept drawings, behind the scenes info, trivia about the games etc. This book included for the first time Nintendo's official timeline for the series with all the games released up to that point included. It turns out that, as suspected, the series takes place across multiple branching timelines with the splinter point being the time travel shenanigans that take place in Ocarina of Time. Inevitably this got a lot of dumb nerds pissed off because, "Goddamnit Nintendo that's loving stupid! MY timeline is way better!" and so forth.

Wind Waker, the game this thread is about, is the first game chronologically in one of these splintered timelines. THIS DOES NOT MATTER. Nothing in the game, or any of the games released after it at the time of writing this, makes any reference or note to this. IT IS NOT IMPORTANT. It exists only so that when stepping back and looking at the series as a whole things fit into nice little boxes.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The only thing you need to know about the timeline is that people figured out it branched long before Nintendo said anything so Nintendo was like "well uh there's actually 3 branches, what now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The only thing we need to know is that Zeldas can all be approached as different universes, tada, I simplified things.

No more timeline chatter :colbert:

• Locked thread