Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Forgot to take screenshots at the start of this session, but I beat the guys at the top of the iron throne and then hosed off to Candlekeep.

Iron Throne leaders down like chumps.

These weirdos as well. Arrow of Detonation + Poison Weapon is so fun.

Then I got sidetracked on the countryside for some classic basilisk hunting and other stuff to get the final level before the XP cap. Also picked up the charisma and constitution tomes.

Then it was back to Baldur's Gate. I meant to lure Slythe to some traps but then this happened

Aaaand the duchal palace. I'm scared so I gotta stop here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap the avenger, born hero, reporting in. Running EE edition with no mods, hard difficulty.

Look at those stats!

E: fixed broken link.

Umbra fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 8, 2015

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Other then my username not having any spaces, that's accurate enough for me. Anyway, update time.

Iron Archer the archer went to high hedge to buy some scrolls for Neera, and some nice and lovely ammo for himself, and back in town...

So I now have a monetary incentive to hunt bandits, and know where they are. But first, better get some more equipment for my group. So I went north.

...Into ankheg country. And Neera decided she wanted to be really useful against the first ankheg we found.

After that, ran back to town to heal, and discovered I didn't have enough gold to buy the armor. Welp, time to run around picking up magic items I forgot about to help pay it of-

Ajantis no what are you doing? Stop leveling off someone picking locks. Ajantis no stop being a horrible paladin.... anyway, running around in the wilderness looking for easy to get cash and items and...

I discovered that the xarts have stealth bear technology. Seriously, bear appeared in the middle of the group.

And after that, and some selling, got enough gold for the armor. So it's time to head back to Ankheg Country.

Went a lot better, no deaths

visited farmer to let him know son is dead and gave him 100 gold that was just burning a hole in my pocket. Trying to leave however...

Welp guess one more ankheg won't kill me.

drat it, stop throwing ankhegs at me.

Anyway...

armor has been commissioned, and I rested up and identified all the magic items I still hadn't gotten around to iding, and selling off what I didn’t need. After some more buying and item shuffling...

Ajantis is ready to tank some bandits. Just need to figure out what to do while waiting for the armor to finish.

...Maybe I'll just get started clearing out Larswood and Peldvale.

Orrfieldmedic fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 7, 2015

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Just got out of the mines, proceeded to get half-slaughtered by the surprise Ankheg south + a mob of skeletons, blew all my money on ressurections and killed Nimbul!

I hadn't considered just how cruel HP rolls were when you can't reload... right now my Dorn has less HP than Viconia. :smith:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I really think it's unfair to give a "demerit" or whatever for max HP rolls on level up.

If you were playing BG1 only, then fine.

But pretty much every single NPC in BG2 joins with max HP, and the game is designed around your fighters having shitloads of health.

If anything, there should be an award for finishing WITH random rolls, but the default should be with max HP.

Anyway, I had no idea how easy Nimbul was if you buy the shield amulet. You can literally just cast "resist fear" on yourself, pop shield, and stand there while he burns all his magic missiles on you.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Shield Amulet is such a good item. It's cheap too, one of the best value buys in BG1.

Anyway, some progress for Mr. Kipling. Calming Marl down, killing spiders, some miscellaneous quests and picking every locked chest in Beregost easily got me to level 4. I couldn't pickpocket Algernon, so I stabbed him. Then I travelled to Nashkel, picking up the stealth boots along the way. (I killed Zhurlong, annoying little git)

Once I cleared the Inn of Neira and reached level 5, I headed to the area where Bassilus is, making sure to arrive at night for easier stealth. I killed the hobgoblins that have that +2 short sword, rescued Mellicamp, and killed Bassilus after a tough fight where I had to stealth to avoid his spells. (Got lucky here, one failed stealth = one dead thief)

On the way back to the Beregost Temple for the reward I tried my luck against a random Ghast, and got another big backstab.

The reward money went toward some new gear. Normally in a non-ironman game at this point I'd go and kill Drizz't, but to be 100% safe I'm going to wait until I get the Boots of Speed.

Next stop is High Hedge, to try and sort out this talking chicken, as well as kill a pair of flesh golems for some big exp for another level.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Iron Archer the archer got himself and his whole party ripped to shreds at the bandit camp. Because I tried a cute plan that killed 4 members of my party, didn't realise items despawn after some time if it isn't in a container so almost all my nice equipment went poof... and decided why yes, I could totally take on the 4 camp leaders with just me, Neera, and an entaglement spell.

Note to self, play better next time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I really need to take more screenshots apparently. In the continuing adventures of Talindra the Swashbuckler, she's still alive after a lot of hilarious events!

Finishing up Beregost went okay. Silke went down by way of murdering herself with a lightning bolt after it bounced through Kagain and Khalid. I don't know if BGEE did it but Raise Dead is a lot cheaper - like 100g per level of who you're raising. Which is a blessing without save-scumming, really. It's fun actually having death matter, and I think I'm going to stop save scumming on deaths even after this in non-ironman runs.

So I cleared out Beregost, got Algernon's cloak after I figured out what was up, and headed south to Nashkel. I knew I would be fighting Neira, so I grabbed the ankheg plate, talked Noober 's ears off, and picked up Edwin. Went in the inn and the fun started.

I don't know what happened but Neira somehow confused Khalid. And by confused I mean after Neira went down, Khalid started slaughtering people in the inn dropping my reputation to 2 and bringing the guards after me. Cue a mad-dash chase out of Nashkel with me trying not to run into whatever a "Flaming Fist Battle Wizard" is (since it cast Protection from Normal Missiles and I'm like level 2 at this point) with the guards running after me.

I had like 200g to my name at this point and I was at Reputation 1. I didn't really have any way to fix things and I figured my run was over. Then I had a blast of inspiration. I had both the Carnival and the Beregost Temple discovered so I could travel to them. Neither are technically towns, so they don't spawn guards. I could use them and clear out the wilderness to get money to fix my rep to be able to go back to town. I cleaned out the Carnival to resupply.

First up was going west to the Gnoll Stronghold, since Edwin was already getting antsy. Because I couldn't go back to Nashkel and head west from there, I ended up going west from south of Beregost. Which lead me to the wilderness zone with Drizzt in it. Which is where my problems started. I ran into Teyngan and co and tried to take them down. Khalid almost got chunked. Imoen got magic missiled to death while running around horrified. Kagain wandered around and died randomly somehow I don't know how. I would have been killed except Edwin landed a Blindness on Teyngan and he wandered off into the fog of war. I had just enough money to go back to the temple and raise my dead, then returned, found Teyngan again and killed him.

Oh, except he killed three MORE of my characters along the way. Raise them AGAIN come back to that same wilderness map and then start clearing it out. I get hurt pretty well by a random bear attack, sleep and what shows up? An Ogre Berserker that kills two more party members. That's EIGHT in one map if you've been counting. Kill the Berserker, sleep with my remaining four party members, ANOTHER ONE spawns and I just run for it. After I raised my party I had spare money to buy a scroll of Stone to Flesh, so I pick that up and head south to the Carnival, grab Branwen, and dump Khalid and Jaheira. I make a fake trip to the Nashkel Mines and pick up Dorn as well.

Then I REALLY need to head west because Edwin's muttering about leaving. That goes relatively okay. I realize that killing Dynaheir and a couple more things I want to do are going to cost me some more Reputation so I skip the quests along the way to save for later. I make it to the Gnoll Stronghold and gently caress. As soon as I zone in, Edwin says his time is up and leaves. A bit of googling and some time with EEKeeper and Edwin is "convinced" to stick around by his timer somehow now being ten times longer! I clean out the Gnoll Stronghold and here's my only screenshot of the night for picking up the Charisma tome:

Killed Dynaheir and Imoen complained, so I ran over to Peldvale and traded her out for Viconia. Then I did the Nashkel Mines for easy xp - very easy, in fact, with Mulahey pretty much being a pushover versus a bunch of level 3-4 characters. Came out through the secret exit, cleared out a little bit of that side of the wilderness, and picked up Shar-Teel to finally replace the gross & ugly Kagain.

With most of my evil party together (NE MC, Dorn, Shar-Teel, Edwin, Viconia and Branwen as a stand-in until I can get Tiax) it was time to get my rep back up. I started clearing out the western side of the map and sold a ton of stuff at High Hedge, finally putting me above 10,000 gold. That + Bassilus was enough to finally give me money to fix my issues. Turned in Bassilus for 5,000gp and donated a ton, now I'm up to 17 reputation.

I headed south to Nashkel and crossed my fingers. Hopefully the game reset. Hopefully the entire town doesn't hate me. Hopefully I can turn in quests here now or I'm not sure what I'll do. Zoned in...and I was fine. Except for Nimbul. Who got held and murdered pretty quickly. I audibly sighed when I turned in my quests to Oublek and Berrun Ghastkill. No Flaming Fist Battle Mages, no nothing. I was in the good graces of the Sword Coast again. I had survived the weirdest turn of events I've ever had in Baldur's Gate.

I cleared out a little bit more of the wilderness and picked up that dude to take to the Temple of Wisdom at the Friendly Arm Inn. I deposited him, stocked up on all the potions I was missing, and checked in to the Inn for our first rest not on the road in like 30 days. My party deserved it.

Next up is clearing out the rest of the wilderness south of the Bandit Camp, getting Branwen revenge against Tranzig, and then the camp proper. Fun times!

I do have a question for those of you more experienced than me: I remember Firewine Bridge being a deathtrap, and I'm a bit wary of doing it ironman. Should I avoid it?

And my other issue is debating when to dual my Swashbuckler. 10 or 11 for the bonuses I guess? I'm not sure if the AC bonus is 1-5-10 or 1-6-11.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 8, 2015

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

She casts Rigid Thinking. That's who zapped Khalid and caused him to reenact Captain Brage.

Dual your swashbuckler at 10. Bonuses are every 5 levels, and the bonus 1ac you get at level 1 is a separate class benefit altogether. The first hit, damage, and AC bonus happens at 5.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Reenacting Captain Brage is about right. 10 it is, thank you very much!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That's a heck of a turnaround, I'd have just started over if that happened to me. Way to go!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jorgo the Punisher the Wizard Slayer

So here we go! Born Hero, Purist, a loving Wizard Slayer. Probably won't be rezzing anyone either, but we'll see.

I landed a pretty good roll anyway. So he's a nigh illiterate meathead who can hit things very hard. Works for me.

Some fetch questing, and the game's biggest threat gets a flail to the head. I sense good things.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 8, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
whothefuckismydndcharacter.com if you need help in deciding on a character to play.

Some examples:

quote:

obnoxious Gnome Wizard from a company of sellswords who always wakes up on the right side of the bed

dependable Halfling Paladin from a mercenary company who hates the monarchy

egotistical Halfling Monk from a carnival freak show who can't stand the sight of blood

bigoted Half-orc Barbarian from an underground city who is afriad the rest of the party will kill them if they try to leave

gloomy Human Fighter from a small town tavern who is a recovering cannibal

short-tempered Tiefling Bard from the best library in the city who secretly became an adventurer to impress a love interest

agreeable Dwarf Barbarian from a village without a tavern who doesn't understand the concept of politeness

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I knew I said I was sick of fighter/clerics but I'm gonna give it one more shot. If this guy croaks I'll start a Stalker ranger or maybe a ranged fighter to dual class into mage... and start using the tweaks that let you recruit different party members earlier.

Anyway, Oldman the human Ranger. Purist, Core Rules, but not a born hero this time. Currently scrambling around Candlekeep to re-do the starter quests. They don't take long, I never thought I'd consider using the tutorial skip mods available.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I promised the people in Jade's stream that I'd participate in this again, so here's my first post. A preamble:

I have the OLD VERSION of the game. It is not the enhanced edition.

I hear there are significant differences between the two, but I'm not sure what all of them are. You are all welcome to comment and tell me.

I have the full thing so we're gonna go for broke, or until I burn out.

I have a confession, I did this last year with a ranger/cleric named Cedric but he died to beholders in a bonus dungeon and I never admitted it, I'm sorry.

This year, we're gonna TRY AGAIN.

Oh nevermind, my new windows 7 laptop refuses to even run the disk.

Welp, it was fun you guys.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Good run, one for the ages.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Halfling kensai bit off more than she could chew vs. Sendai and company. Couldn't even get away. What the hell is their Thac0? They were hitting me with a -8 AC thanks to a potion of defense.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FairGame posted:

Halfling kensai bit off more than she could chew vs. Sendai and company. Couldn't even get away. What the hell is their Thac0? They were hitting me with a -8 AC thanks to a potion of defense.

Got the same treatment with a half orc barbarian run that died before I could even post it. They're pretty bananas.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Then I failed to capture the best moment of them all, despite hitting the screenshot key like a madman. I went to the Mines and found Prism and Greywolf. I took Greywolf down easily enough, but he left me wounded. And I fought him during a rainstorm. Anyone who has worn metal armor in a rainstorm in these games knows what comes next.
I have never seen this happen before. Do you have to play the game on harder rules settings or something?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Lady the Archer and her Teen Girl Squad continue to survive, despite a few incidents along the way.

A funny thing happened, we got ambushed by a basilisk while traveling from Firewine Bridge to Beregost and Safana was petrified. I kind of freaked out since I had no Stone to Flesh scrolls, and I thought Safana would be lost forever if I left her on a random battle map. Turns out that repeating the same journey between Firewine and Beregost eventually landed me on the same map when another basilisk attacked.

Not pictured: Lady being the closest character to the basilisk at the battle start. The run could have ended right there if not for Neera immediately firing off her wand of paralyzation.

We went on to do the bandit camp and most of Cloakwood without any problems (didn't get any screenshots). In the mines, however...

Uhhh...

The Ogre Mage down there confused the whole party just as it died, causing Lady to murder Imoen and Branwen, and nearly doing the same to Jaheira. Was just barely able to pick up their stuff and run back to the Friendly Arm Inn for revivals. These were my first deaths, for the record, if you don't count Safana's petrification.

Back at the mines, we killed Davaeorn despite his efforts to impress us with a sweet backflip. On to Baldur's Gate!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm seeing a lot of problems and near-disasters caused by confusion effects. What's the best way to avoid that stuff at low levels? Just don't cluster up and hope you hit your saves?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar the First cleared the initial area, and for the first time I've played this game, I picked up the Diamond and the +1 ring of protection next door.

Added the 2 Z'ed agents to the party.

I told the old hasbeen to bugger off at the crossroads. Stupid pointed hatted busybody. I could USE a good mage!

The 3rd assassin went down pretty quick, with the help of 2 guards.

For some reason, one of the mods seems to have deleted the Ring of Wizardry. Leaving me with this reaction:

Khalid is a fighter/mage...which makes him a bit more interesting to use now. After dealing with the local hobgoblins I decided I needed some more help as I didn't like the idea of being the party tank, and went and picked up Ajantis and dumped the two Z'ed agents. See you in Aum!

Current Party Make-up:
CHARNAME Cleric/Ranger
Ajantis the Paladin
Jaheria the Fighter/Druid
Imoen the Thief
Khalid the Fighter/Mage

I'd like to get one or both of the archers in BG, as I've never used them before (Kivan I guess), and I think I'll unfreeze Branwen in Nashkell and one of the NPC thieves to replace Imoen - maybe Safana.

Getting to:
CHARNAME cleric/ranger
Archer Kivan
Cleric Branwen
Thief Safana

I'm tossing up who to get as the mage and another fighter or 2nd mage. Yeslick? I already have 2 clerics. Kargin maybe. Minsc and Dynaheir?

I've never taken Xan, is he any good? Depressing as he is.

I've found a beta version of the NPC banter mod for BG1, I hope it won't break anything.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 8, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm seeing a lot of problems and near-disasters caused by confusion effects. What's the best way to avoid that stuff at low levels? Just don't cluster up and hope you hit your saves?

I'd say 1. Spellcasters are pretty flimsy so try to kill or disrupt them before they can do bad things to you, and 2. What you said, don't let the whole party get bunched up. Sometimes you have to face a spellcaster in tight quarters, though, and spreading out isn't feasible. Cloakwook Mine was just a really bad place to get jumped by an ogre mage.

Comstar posted:

I'm tossing up who to get as the mage and another fighter or 2nd mage. Yeslick? I already have 2 clerics. Kargin maybe. Minsc and Dynaheir?

Xan sucks. Since you seem to be willing to use evil characters, just take Edwin.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 8, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

e: quote is not edit

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

WHY DID I THINK ANKHEGS WOULD BE A GOOD THING TO GRIND FOR XP?

Made it out alive but I had to leave Adjantis's starter gear behind. So long, Iron Party honor.

Oldman the human ranger is hobbling his way back to the FAI, making sure not to get close to the entrance before resurrecting Adjantis. I was just going to snag him before returning to deal with Tarnesh when one of the Ankhegs attacked and it went down pretty easy. The next ones taught me hubris, then that last one showed up when I tried to rest. I hope I have enough gold.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Ankhegs are great for xp grinding :colbert:. You just need a mage or cleric since they're vulnerable to Command and Sleep.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

No really, quote is not edit. Yeah, I think I'll grab Branwen ASAP. I need me some spells.

Comstar posted:

I've found a beta version of the NPC banter mod for BG1, I hope it won't break anything.

You can never have enough cleric. Yeslick comes with innate Dispel Magic casts, he's practically a proto Keldorn.

Xan... I really want to like Xan. I guess you can slap wands on him for offense and save all his spells for buffs?

And that NPC banter mod is pretty terrible, really sophomoric writing. Plus it adds some questionable quests and loot. I remember getting a free suit of elf chainmail once right outside Baldur's Gate.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
So hey guys, just kidding, I will troubleshoot this but for now I still have my old desktop from 2002 that will run this thing.

It's actually Windows 98 upgraded to Windows XP but man oh man, fun times.

Oh yeah, disks.

Ahem, let's get started.

When I first started this game last time I was largely playing blind and had made a male half-elf Ranger/Cleric because Ranger/Cleric is probably my favorite class to play in Balder's Gate (since they get druid spells too) and the female romance options in Balder's Gate 2 are horrible. However, I already tried to show you guys a Ranger/Cleric before and I don't really expect to make it to BG2. If I do, I don't intend to romance anyone. (This is a lie, I'll probably show off the terrible dialog) so I'm going to switch it and be a lady because boys are gross for the sake of being different. I'll also be switching other things up in SMALL WAYS.

Meet Birchwin Elithea Rhapsody Gearsplitter, who's name is too long for Balder's Gate so Birchwin Gearsplit is what she's going by or, for the sake of brevity, Bwin. A real Forgotten Realms Gnome would probably not be okay with people just calling them Bwin but this is not a narrative LP.

Also in case you didn't get it, it's a small change because she's a gnome. Get it? :thejoke: I am hilarious.

W-what... But Balder's Gate I selected female. You guys saw it right? Do female gnomes have beards? I thought that was only dwarves.
WHATEVER BIRCHWIN IS A SEXY LADY.

Onto Candlekeep then.

Augh, you guys shut upppp.

Wolves_outside_Candlekeep.png

Worse_than_wolves.png

Thanks for the gear, losers.

So the truth is, with stats like the kind Bwin got all she really needs to do it hit something and it almost always explodes into chunks. And even if it doesn't pulp it still dies.

Case in point:

Hobgoblins ain't poo poo.

One thing I do know that's different between the enhanced version of the game and this one is this hidden item over here.

It's a Ring of Wizardry and it is VERY GOOD. It's right around x: 2552, y: 3760 at the Friendly Arm Inn. Don't patch your game, kids.

Oh hey look, it's legendary Run Wrecker, Tarnesh.

Tarnesh status:

Still vulnerable to Command.

See you guys next update in Nashkil.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
The really big problem I've found with Xan is not the no evocation magic, it's that with his low con he gets -1 hp per level and with a d4 that means he gets a lot of 1 hp levels which makes him super super squishy.

Edit: He does have some awesome dialogue with Eldoth, including one for if Eldoth dies.

psudonym55 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 8, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Ring of Wizardry is in BGEE. Edwin's wearing that one from the FAI in my run right now.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Parts Kit posted:

I have never seen this happen before. Do you have to play the game on harder rules settings or something?

Nah, the game sometimes just zaps a party member with lightning in the rain. It's a thing. I lost characters to it a lot more in BG2, though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think in BG2 you catch a bolt of lightning if you fake pledging allegiance to Cyric at the docks.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap has cleared the Nashkel Mines.

The journey from candlekeep to Beregost was without incident. However, I decided to try my luck against tarnesh.
Montaron made the ultimate sacrifice for the team, which was just as well as I was about to dump him and Xzar anyways.

I picked up Khalid and Jaheira. The spiders in Beregost set a trend for most fights so far: entangle everything!

After more miscellaneous adventures I pick up my first level. Not a bad hp roll.

My lack of an arcane spellcaster started to irritate me, so I picked up Minsc and headed to the gnoll fortress to pick up Dynaheir.

A successful clear, and I have a full party for now. I might change up the roster as I don't have a proper cleric yet.

Neira handled without much trouble.

Mulahey was a little troublesome. Minsc's sword broke midfight, and Jaheira was hit with rigid thinking despite Mulahey being damaged twice during its casting.
Somehow, nobody dies.

Cap hits level 3, and does me proud by getting his first minimum hp roll. Go get 'em!

Cap as of current. Next time I'll see if I can tackle Nimbul.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Nah, the game sometimes just zaps a party member with lightning in the rain. It's a thing. I lost characters to it a lot more in BG2, though.
Huh, I have never seen it happen since I got the game in '98.

ed: well I gave this a solo shot and died in one hit to a wolf outside Candlekeep, after brutally murdering Imoen and just north of those two douchebags who I always rob. :v:
ed2: we barely knew ye :911:

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 8, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

RIP Not-Frodo.

On brighter news, I finally ended a session without dying.

After reviving Ajantis and killing Tarnesh, the party meandered down the map, hitting the usual spots. Karlat was dealt with, Silke was dealt with, Garrick was sent packing, quests were done, and we took a side-path to that one area with the +1 two-hand sword. This time I didn't rush the ettercap and it died quick. Ioin and those other two bandits even died pretty fast, managed to snag a few +1 arrows from them before they fired them all. However, all was not perfect. We lost an important ally.

I couldn't save the cow. Pretty bizarre, I don't think I ever failed this little battle before.

Anyway, after that it was to Nashkel. Snagged Branwen as usual, Neira went down without a big fuss (Ajantis and his paladin saves sure are handy), and instead of fooling around I decided I wanted to clear chapter 2 at least. So it was straight to the mines!

Well, right after defending the arts.

Feels good to finally have Branwen on the team again. Greywolf only got one hit in.

I called it a night before tacking the mine dungeon, so
Oldman the Ranger reached Nashkel is poised to solve the Mystery of the Mines. And after that discussion about Xan I decided to leave a slot open for him until Imoen is set to dual class. Things are looking up!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

First step of the journey from Nashkel to the Gnoll Fortress is the Xvart Village. Xvarts aren't very dangerous but to be safe I still bottleneck in the southern entrance, drag them in, and cast Sleep before killing them.

Then I trigger the bear Ursa, which I still remember wiping my very first Mage PC in 1999 when it spawned right behind him and mauled his face off. Fortunately my positioning is a hell of a lot better this time around.

Ursa and Nexlit go down pretty easily, only barely scratching Branwen. With two minor skirmishes and one more cast of Sleep the Xvart Village is cleared.

On the way to Bear River, there was an ambush by a Bear. It tore up Minsc and started to kill Ajantis. Not wanting to take an unnecessary risk, I ran. I ran so far away. The bear nicked Jonathan on his way out but thankfully didn't kill him. Minsc's platemail got left behind but he didn't have anything else of value on him.

Minsc gets a raise at Nashkel, and the party shops at the store and rests before tackling the route through Bear River again.

Once I reach Bear River, I'm ambushed by Neville.

I take out his archers with Sleep and focus on attacking him and...it goes pretty badly. The sleep I cast on him fails, and he wails away at my frontline, killing all three of them after I use up my healing. I really don't remember him being this tough. Soon, the hobgoblin archers wake up and start attacking the retreating Neera and Jonathan, killing them.

RIP Jonathan Joestar. You will be succeeded by Joseph Joestar, the Bounty Hunter.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Jenner posted:

Oh yeah, disks.

Ahem, let's get started.

Ahaha oh man I hope you can copy the CDs to your hard drive and point to them through an ini. Changing disks all the time sucked in the first version of Baldur's gate.

I didn't do much with my assassin, Zara the other day. Bee-lined for Beregost pretty much and picked up Kaigan, who is much less impressive than I remember (I must have been thinking of Korgan). Still, I need a tank and am running an evil party, so he's in for now. Picked up some XP by sweet talking Marl but for the most part that was it for the moment since I want to pick up some of my favored party members before collecting lots of quest XP. Oh yeah, Montaroon got dead along the way, I think some xvarts did him in, so I left his corpse on the road and continued on. After picking up Kaigan, I left Khalid trapped upstairs in Firebeard's house, never to leave again.

At this point I foolishly thought I could try picking up Shar-teel for an actual good fighter and just use Kaigan to tank for her, but turns out I need to prep Kaigan a lot better for that fight! So I've got one more chance to do that...off to pick up some better armor and maybe a level. While there I used Korax to help kill a few basilisks, but there's plenty more left.

So, on to Nashkel, where on the way Jaheira got beat up by some hobgoblins pretty good and my party was a bit roughed up, but I threw caution to the wind and went after Neira anyways. She held a couple of my party members and I missed a backstab but it eventually worked out.

Next up is freeing Branwen, grabbing the Ankheg plate for Kaigan, joining with Edwin and then clearing out the Gnoll Stronghold. After that then I'll try recruiting Shar-teel again and do some more poking around the wilderness (though honestly, drat, the encounters there are way more dangerous than just going straight through to the mines).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Jorgo the Punisher the Wizard Slayer returns to FIrebead Elvenhair. Something then dawns on him, however.

That motherfucker is a WIZARD, and he must be SLAIN!

He did get me with an Acid Arrow in there, but I was able to mitigate that with the potion I received somewhere in the fetch quests.

Those tutors look like Wizards too! SLAIN!

So then I head outside, and...uh, something unexpected happens. The choir decides they've had enough of the murders there's no way they could have seen.

Wah! There's only one thing Jorgo can do!

You're going down, Gorion! Honestly, I wanted to see if I could do like I did to Firebead and catch him with some lucky Spell Failure.

Yeah, no.

RIP Jorgo the Punisher. You almost pulled off something awesome.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
WELL poo poo!

Got one shot crit'd by one of those half ogre guys on the bridge at the Gnoll Stronghold. drat, what a pain in the rear end, they were almost dead too

Down goes Zara. Might work up another character though, that was annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

You're going down, Gorion! Honestly, I wanted to see if I could do like I did to Firebead and catch him with some lucky Spell Failure.

Sadly Gorion cheats so you can't spell-fail him. :(

• Locked thread