Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Born Hero, Solo. EE on my iPad

I figured that having a bonus to saves against everything would come in handy, and I was right. Tarnesh tried to fear our hero, but he was all "YOLO!" and refused to be frightened. Unfortunately Tarnesh had also cast Mirror Image on himself and proceeded to get max damage on Magic Missile, ending Mr. Swaggins' adventure before it got off the ground. Both Yolo and a guard failed to hit Tarnesh even once during the fight.

E: breaking tables. That's the first iPad screenshot I've taken and I cropped the poo poo out of it. :shrug:

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

My female blackguard, Pumpkin-Spice Latte got trounced by some dudes from Thay. gently caress wild mages.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

My current character encountered a bear, two wolves, a dire wolf, a dread wolf and a few gibberlings outside of Candlekeep, all singly. I was clearing the screen with the MC and Imoen before recruiting others to get them an xp boost towards level two. I think it worked. Dread wolf came one point shy of killing Imoen due to a misclick while kiting. Used all of the wand of magic missile charges. Two characters can effectively kite a single melee opponent rather effectively. I think my post-tutorial survival rate will shoot up due to this knowledge. It doesn't hurt that I have a pretty cautious amount of pause settings enabled (enemy sighted, weapon broke, cast spell, target gone and a couple others). I've never gotten very far in BG and haven't played BG II, so there's a nice thrilling terror to the whole thing. I'll post some pics and stuff later if I live very long.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Slings are the kings of the battlefield. If an encounter went badly, you didn't have enough slings.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Does a belt ogre have more hitdice than a normal ogre? Where is he anyway?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Is there a mod to force a cooldown on order acknowledgement lines? I don't want to hear my MC's pithy quote all the drat time while traveling.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Thank god. Those sound options mean I might keep my sanity.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

This game is run by the worst DM ever. "Ok, you're at the foot of the stone stairway that leads to the Friendly Arm Inn. In mere seconds you will catch sight of the other players' characters and then we can kick this campaign off. A man in robes approaches you [insert dialog here] ... smiles at you you menacingly and casts fear. :csgo: you fail your save and are now cowering helplessly in the stables as the guards panic around you. The man casts magic missile and...how many hp do you have?":rip:

E: then the GM cancels the game because your character was the plot hook.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 10, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I've found so far that having your mages and support characters flee in terror whenever a melee guy even thinks about attacking them makes this game much more survivable. The AI really has a preference to engage melee guys and will quickly abandon the chase and go right back to your tanks. Pause is OP.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So, is an Elven fighter/mage/thief even survivable in BG1? Is there any armor you can cast/thief in either game?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cool. Thanks guys. Trying to keep my options open for when my current character inevitably dies.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'd like to call bullshit on the belt ogre. Made a half-orc barbarian. 16 hp, AC around -4 when I activated rage. Ogre approached and swung first. My character died. Core rules. The gently caress?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The all grunts and yells voice is great. I also enjoy the southern preacher voice from Neverwinter Nights.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Does it bother anyone else that you can't make a half-Orc blackguard but you sure can run into one a few screens into the game, at least in EE?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So, I discovered today that Jaheira is not restricted to Druid armors, just Druid weapons. Full plate shillelagh here we come!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Anomen is also illegal (Wis is too low to dual-class to cleric), and I think either Minsc's Wis or Int is too low for a ranger.

On stat requirements you can fudge that as stats changing later, through magic or injuries or whatever.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

It's a rather interesting dungeon and you get some decent loot out of it. It's just once you start you have to finish. Think of it as your DM sending you on a quick, classic dungeon crawl. Monsters, traps and a boss fight.

If it doesn't have rot grubs, rust monsters and loot that melts in sunlight, it's not classic enough.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Alright. After a few abortive starts I decided to try something different. Meet Yolo Cashmoney Swaggins III, CG Gnome Illusionist.

Things went very well. Yolo controlled fights with plenty of castings of Blind and Spook (thanks ring of wizardry!), Jaheira leveled up and gained near max hp, I picked up the wild mage and she killed herself with her own magic missle in the spider fight and Khalid died too. For some reason I didn't get any antidote potions from the quest giver. I've always gotten them before. :shrug:

No problem though, just a hop skip and a jump back to the Friendly Arm for a ressure...

I killed half of those fuckers before they put Yolo down.

gently caress you, Dungeon Master. All I actually said was "your girlfriend just isn't my type." I never said she was ugly, FRANCIS.

E: I might have to give another gnome illusionist a try. Maybe a multiclass.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 14, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, multiclassing a whatever/Illusionist is IMO the best reason to play a gnome. Those would've been good stats for a Thief/Illusionist.

You should have gone to the temple east of Beregost. There's no travel time if you're coming from town and (I think) no risk of ambush.

That's the great thing about doing this ironman. I know where some of the very early game nice stuff is (ring of wizardry), but beyond that I've beaten the Nashkel mines a handful of times and done a smattering of side quests. I usually put Baldur's Gate down after I get distracted by games that have a less punishing early game, like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or Tales of Maj'Eyal. Blind ironman is great.

E: That's why I didn't go east of Beregost. I forgot that temple exists.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 14, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Taliesyn posted:

Looking at his post history, it appears he hasn't. These threads are cursed, I tell you!

It seems thematically appropriate the the thread dies right out of the gate.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Levitate posted:

jesus christ this game sometimes. I was picking up Viconia in Peldvale (decided to pick her up as the parties 6th and run two clerics for the hell of it) and random encounter with Black Talon Elites killed Edwin because as they uncovered from the fog of war (in the direction I was not traveling), he was the closest to them and immediately ate 3 ice arrows before he had time to do anything.

On the other end of things, goddamn people weren't kidding about that summon undead spell, that skeletal warrior kicks rear end

The pause settings are your friend. Set it to enemy spotted. If you immediately back off, you usually won't activate the hostiles, which gives you plenty of time to cast buffs and maybe fling entangle and a fireball or two to start things off.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Heya, it's me, Ironman!: Baldur's Gate Ironman 2015 Enhanced Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

That was Dorn's job of course. That boy sure loves dying repeatedly.

To quote Michael Dorn, "today is a good day to die!"

• Locked thread