Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Okay, now that the thread is up, here's my character for BGEE: Gwydion ap Don, NG fighter.

I lucked out and got an 88 point roll right off the bat, so I'll accidentally be shooting for Born Hero. I'm also playing at the highest difficulty level for Double Damage.

I haven't gotten very far yet. So far, I've simply left Candlekeep, watched Gorian get slaughtered, told Xzar and Monty to bugger off, and met Khalid and Jaheira at the Friendly Arms Inn. Managed to interrupt the mage would-be assassin before he got his first spell off, and Imoen managed to crit him with back-to-back arrows to take him down.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Almost. Last thread was in late 2013.

Nice stats, Taliesyn. You going to dual to Cleric?

That's the plan, yes.

That said, I'm kind of curious to know how long it took Sworder to get that 95 point roll - I don't think I've ever had one that high on anything other than a paladin.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

psudonym55 posted:

Wow Insane is a lot rougher on low level parties than I remember. At the rate I'm going at I'm not going to have enough characters to see me to the end of the game even with the ones added with enhanced edition.

*snip*

I haven't even got to the mines yet and I've had 5 people die. Apart from Branwin and Rassad who is going to die I don't even know what non evil party members I have left that I have access too. It's certainly making things interesting.

Yeah, I remember from the last thread that Insane Ironman is a bitch and you go through a LOT of party members.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

I really need to remember to take screenshots.

Gwydion ap Don the Berserker, after meeting up with Khalid and Jaheira, recovered a ring from Hobgoblins and a belt from an ogre. Suitably rewarded, they traveled to Beregost, recruiting Neera, killing Silke and making a general nuisance of themselves. Eventually the Harpers started getting testy, so the crowd went south to Nashkel, where they encountered the Rashemani berserker Minsc. Taking his quest for their own, they headed into the wilds and stormed the gnoll stronghold, only for Dynaheir to be killed by gnolls while scouting out the escape on her own.

In order to assuage Minsc's grief, the party went exploring, searching the land north of the stronghold, only to encounter an ultra-civilized bandit and his hobgoblin archer cronies. Our intreped adventurers refused to pay...and the first arrow of the combat punched through both of Gwydion's ears, cleaning out any earwax and, unfortunately, killing him instantly. (In English: first arrow shot was a critical hit for 35 (!!!) damage. G was level 2.)

Thus ended the run for Gwydion ap Don in the wilds of the Sword Coast.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 14, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Couldn't tell you, but you're right, it was absolutely insane. The fight starts, I hear a bowshot, and my guy's been chunked (he had 22 hp and took 35). My own damned fault for forgetting to put his helm on, but that's still a ridiculous amount of damage for a single arrow from a Hobgoblin Elite. The bandit I spoke with wasn't even in melee range yet.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 14, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Yes, it was insane difficulty, but even 8 damage base is higher than a hobgoblin elite's shortbow and arrows should be doing. My guess was it was crit + max damage rolls + massive poison roll. It was honestly just one of those random deaths you risk when playing on insane.

Now the question is what to reroll as. I was kind of geeked about the whole Fighter dual to cleric bit, planning on eventually dual-wielding Crom Faeyr and the Runehammer as kind of a holy wrecking machine, but now I don't know if I want to try that or something else.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 14, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Nope. Anyone know if Sleep of Bronze has been posting at all since then?

Looking at his post history, it appears he hasn't. These threads are cursed, I tell you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Haven't really had a chance to dig in yet because of work etc but I'm going to. Going to play on insane because I clearly have mental problems. Probably leaning Sorcerer at the moment. Classes in the back of the party are generally your best bet for an ironman. Stoneskin and then eventually mislead, etc should make for a very durable character.

I'm sure melees can work out too but it's just asking for trouble. The sorc can certainly die very fast too especially on insane but once I get stoneskin I should be okay so long as I don't total party wipe.

Inquisitor works really well for ironman/insane. The save bonus coupled with the mage-disassmbling are really good at keeping you on your feet. The last time we did this, I got my inquisitor all the way into ToB before I just stopped playing, as the thread had died.

Hell, I still have that save file!

• Locked thread