Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

So I started a completely dumb gimmick run of BG1:EE, and after I'd left Candlekeep, I though I might as well make it an Ironman run. It's an MP game (core rules) where I created a full party, so there's a couple of cheevos down the drain already, but that's hardly the focus of this run anyway.

Still, let's meet the actors in this extraordinarly dumb play:

Perra N'Oya, a CN halfling fighter/thief and Bhaalspawn, who dualwields shortswords...

...and her five TN human cleric clone bodyguards: Alfeyr, Beyton, Geamon, Deltin and Eppson. I tried to make them as generic as possible, with no exceptional ability scores. This actually took a few rerolls, because getting that 78 total for all 13s was surprisingly elusive.

Anyway, everyone knows Candlekeep, so I'll just summarize the "highlights": The inn was thoroughly burgled, Shank and Carbos were squashed by the Clone Companions, Dreppin's cow is still sick, Hull was chewed out for not carrying his sword, and Perra and her crew left the place reasonably well outfitted.

(Forgot to grab a shot of Perra's gear. It's nothing major - two shortswords, studded leather armor and a helmet, plus the various potions and jewels you can get in Candlekeep. And Hull's sword, of course)

The dawn was especially cruel after Gorion got ganked. Imoen was promptly rebuffed, and when she tried to worm her way into the party, I had to forcibly remove her. Well, that's not strictly true. I forgot empty her inventory, so I had to kill her to get her potions.

...Xzar and Monty fared little better. Still, more healing potions and oils of speed for me!

At the crossroads, I (rightfully) told Elminster that he was a loony git, and went straight for the ring of protection. I left Hull's sword as a replacement.Who knows? Maybe the future king of Baldur's Gate will be chosen at that very spot? I didn't feel like going after the belt ogre just yet, so I went straight for the FAI, remembering to pick up the spell ring.

Tarnesh was... Annoying. I'm not all that used to the MP interface, and how the pause works, so he managed to frighten the bejeezus out of everyone but Geamon before I could Command him. Geamon would soon realize, that bravely allowing his mistress and fellow clones to escape has its price, as Tarnesh magic missiled him to death.

Alfeyr discovers that death by magic missiles is highly infectious.

Beyton fails to observe proper quarantine protocols, and pays dearly.

Still, by now Tarnesh is all out of spells, and the remaining clones + bhaalspawn are scattered all over the inn's courtyard - some more literally than others. More importantly, everyone's morale recovers, so it doesn't take long until Mr. T is pulped. The clones are raised, the rings are identified, and the loot is pawned off. I celebrate by outfitting the clones with some fancy suits of armor.

Clone fatalities so far:
  1. 1
  2. 1
  3. 1
  4. -
  5. -

NPCs killed for sport and/or pleasure: Imoen, Xzar, Montaron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

The Further Adventures of Perra N'Oya and her Merry Troupe of Clones!

Picking up where we left off, I immediately make sure to murder Dorn, Khalid and Jaheira for their loot. Potions of invisibility are handy for thieves, and Dorn's sword is worth more than a few bob at the local pawnshop. Bentley, amoral sod that he is, doesn't call any of the guards he employs, nor does he have any trouble in buying arms and armor still drenched in blood. A man after me own 'eart!

I pick up Joia's quest before I leave the FAI, and head north. By now I might as well make it a part of my "victory" condition to kill all joinable NPCs, so Ajantis is next. One command, and he's as dead as a doornail.

Silke is commanded to lie down for a spell, and is swiftly pummeled into a fine, red paste. I notice that I lost one of my swords, so Garrick the Accomplice is found guilty as an accessory to theft and as a conspirator to commit murder, and is sentenced to immediate death by clone.

Since I forgot to include a shot of my inventory last time, here's what I carry up until I leave Beregost. I use some of my ill-gotten loot to buy myself a +1 shortsword, and a spare regular one in case it should break. It does, on the very next wilderness area. drat this iron plague! Also, guess which quest I forgot, based on my equipment?

The ogrillons south of Beregost are dispatched, but not without using up all of my prepared commands. Free platema- wait, who are your friends? No officer, we're law-abiding adventurers, seeking fame, glory and profit! All of our murders have been legally sanctioned! If I hadn't used all my commands, they'd all be dead by now.

I pick up the boots of stealth, but on my way back I'm ambushed by a ghoul, and he manages to kill Beyton. Sigh, better hoof it to the temple of Lathander, I guess.

Hey Kivan! Goodbye Kivan!

I forgot to grab any screens in NashvilleNashkel, but this is where I learned that Amnish soldiers take their law n' order a mite more seriously than the Flaming Fist does. Getting rid of the assassin in the inn was no problem, but they took exception to my bumping off Rasaad in broad daylight, so I had to scamper off to the carnival, and hope the law cools down before I return.

Zordral does not appreciate being called a bozo, and totally flips his switch and tries to kill us. Worryingly, he resists all but one attempts to command him, and he manages to get off a horror spell. Thankfully, most of the Troupe manages to resist his spell, but Deltin bites the dust after an acid arrow. drat it all, whilst the nearest temple is but a hop, skip and a jump away, I'll have to bugger off all the way back to Beregost to raise that clone!

Clone fatalities so far:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 1
  4. 1
  5. -

NPCs killed for sport and/or pleasure: Imoen, Xzar, Montaron, Khalid, Jaheira, Dorn, Ajantis, Garrick, Kivan, Rasaad.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Spoiler Alert: Attempt Fails!

The party left the carnival in order to complete some sidequests whilst waiting for the fuzz in Nashkel to chill out. Joia got her ring, the Beregost Bug House was cleansed, Firebead got his book and Prism was allowed to be melodramatic on Greywolf's corpse. I also took the time to de-stone and kill Branwen, and murder Kagain to recoup the losses for raising Geamon after he died in a random encounter. With all that done, I returned to Nashkel, had a nice talk with Noober, and all the clones leveled up. I was a big baby, and set the difficulty to normal for max HP, because I can't stand the idea of clones not being identical. For the same reason, the ankheg plate was sold off. By this time I'd also ported the MP save over to the regular SP experience. Anyway, off to the mines!

Y'know what, no. I hate the goddamn mines, and I'd rather take my chances with the back entrance. To the east!

... well poo poo.

That fight was actually going swimmingly. I'd successfully stealthed and lobbed a fireball from the necklace o' missiles at the Evil Mercenary Girls, which killed two of them straight away. I quaffed an invisibility potion, and lobbed another fireball. This is where one of them managed to poison me - which I didn't notice until it was too late. I lob the last fireball, the remainder of the girls die, and so did I. Yet another stupid death.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

A protip for all you ironmen fooling around the bottom of the Cloakwood Mines: Don't mix boots of speed and other sources of haste, since there's a risk of you breaking the trigger for chapter 5, leaving you locked out of Baldur's Gate; barring any console shenanigans. I've been practicing for another run, and I fell prey to that particular issue.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I've been soloing a stalker, and it's been going really well, but I don't want to put together a proper post until I've finished Cloakwood and the mines. Also, I'd rather wait for the new thread.

• Locked thread