Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm, an Ironman thread. I wonder what I can...

Perfect.

Running EE edition, no mods, doing a solo run. I'll take it as far as it can go. I rerolled a whole bunch of times because gently caress you I'm playing a Wizard Slayer named Drizzaw Layers.

I "found" some "helpful" "adventurers" who "donated" their gear to me outside Candlekeep. I am Lawful Good, why do you ask?

HEH. :smug:

After the assassin encounter and steadily ignoring the weird druid and her stuttering husband muttering together in the corner of the Friendly Arm, I beelined to Beregost and did a couple of things there, notably talking with Marl to get an easy 900 experience for that critical first levelup. Haven't done much else aside from Joia's ring for a little extra reputation and Firebead's dumb book.

I'm popular! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm playing a Wizard Slayer named Drizzaw Layers.

Hooo boy, I am glad that went how it did.

I know quite a lot about what I'm doing in this game so it's not often that I'm in serious danger. For instance:

Me going into the spider fight in Beregost (note how I do not have enough potions):

Me with the spoils of the spiders having used almost all of my limited supply of potions.

In the Enhanced Edition, some things are more dangerous than others (thanks for stunning me for two minutes Neera, I'm glad you died.)

But that was fine too.

I beat Zordral here through the cunning plan of "tank every spell he casts in the face while I panic". This sounds dumb, but I know his exact spell layout. He wasn't going to kill me even if all his spells landed, and I got enough hits in to make a couple of them fail.

I futzed around in Nashkel some more (note the stylish green armor).

Then I failed to capture the best moment of them all, despite hitting the screenshot key like a madman. I went to the Mines and found Prism and Greywolf. I took Greywolf down easily enough, but he left me wounded. And I fought him during a rainstorm. Anyone who has worn metal armor in a rainstorm in these games knows what comes next.

RIP in peace Drizzaw Layers, dead by random lightning strike. A couple of other people who were watching me may be along in a bit to attest to the wonder of this moment.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FairGame posted:

Halfling kensai bit off more than she could chew vs. Sendai and company. Couldn't even get away. What the hell is their Thac0? They were hitting me with a -8 AC thanks to a potion of defense.

Got the same treatment with a half orc barbarian run that died before I could even post it. They're pretty bananas.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Parts Kit posted:

I have never seen this happen before. Do you have to play the game on harder rules settings or something?

Nah, the game sometimes just zaps a party member with lightning in the rain. It's a thing. I lost characters to it a lot more in BG2, though.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Doing another solo run wizard slayer, largely identical to my original aside from one thing.

I have no idea if the sword still bestows the immunities it used to but I'll have fun finding out. :getin:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Garon Half-Orcen's Solo Wizard Slayer Purist diary,

Today I exploded another half orc with my berserk sword. It keeps fighting even when I'm too afraid to! And I didn't even need to sleep first.

I found these boots that somehow I can use despite my Wizard Slayer training. Someone forgot to put it on The Big List Of Things Wizard Slayers Can't Have Fun With (third edition, abridged, compiled by Tethoril of Candlekeep). So I put them on and feel dandy.

I found a fortress down by the coast. There was a mean mage I didn't like but I rescued her anyway.

There was a book by the fortress that made me even prettier! Books aren't on the Big List either.

Then I hunted some bugs. Poor farm boy in the tunnels was dead though. :(

The trail of breadcrumbs so big they'd choke pigeons trying to eat them led to a bandit camp so I drew my berserk sword again.

There were some important looking bandits in my way. A wizard tried to make me panic but the sword kept fighting even when I was going to the bathroom in my pants and I exploded all of them. I need to go to Cloakwood next.

But I went to Ulcaster to make this ghost happier instead. :unsmith:

I'm feeling pretty cool! Next time it's cloakwood and some other stuff probably!

e: Garon has cleared the Mines and Bandit Camp and is resting in Beregost.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 9, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Ted posted:

NO WAIT I'M SORRY, NOT LIKE THIS, NOT LIKE DRIZZAW!
(Oldman is fine)

Gets the blood flowing, doesn't it? Good job surviving that.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

psudonym55 posted:

I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with your character but don't druids in second edition take on the physical stats of what they change into making super high physical stats kinda pointless?

Also isn't there not much point having a con higher than 16, non fighter type classes not getting any extra bonus hit points for a con higher than 16?

If he snags the con-boosting tome he'll still regen, I think.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Garon Half-Orcen's adventure continues... briefly.

Protection scrolls are also not on the Wizard Slayer's forbidden list. Basically a successful run with this class is about making the Wizard Slayer into the biggest hypocrite you can. I bought Magic and Poison.

Magic came in handy for all the Sirens.

And for the cave! All the traps in there are magical.

20 Constitution. Resting and travelling automatically heals your character to full at this level, so it's a huge timesaver and a lifesaver when resting out in the field.

Then I went to Cloakwood, and... well. I mistimed reading the scroll and read it by accident on the FIRST section of Cloakwood, meaning I was vulnerable to the poison here. I still got pretty far...

But not far enough. I needed the Free Action sword in here, but it was too much.

RIP Garon Half-Orcen, dead to all the poison in Cloakwood. This was purely my mistake and I was otherwise in almost no danger. I might go for a third attempt soon but I need to pep myself up for it after getting this far and falling!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sup Solo Buds. That Kirian encounter ended one of my nascent runs so good on you to make it through that.

I've got a new'un, meet Boudica the Solo Purist Wizard Slayer:

You may have noticed a theme with my stat rolls.

On literally the second travel screen I got ambushed by twelve bandits, aka "780 easy XP". That was a quick first level.

Also, on the first time I bothered to get him, Melicamp lives!

Okay, so killing Xan was not deliberate. (Note no reputation loss for doing it: no one cares about poor Xan.) The gimmick that makes a wizard slayer run really work is the Cursed +3 Berserking two-handed sword; its berserk overrides spells like rigid thinking and feeblemind, makes you fight through horror/panic/fear and generally lets you rip and tear with the best of them. Unfortunately, there are moments like these along the way!

But it got me through Mulahey just fine. Let's see if I won't make it through Cloakwood this time!

Having finished the Mines and done some other tasks, Boudica rests in Nashkel.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Boudica did better than her predecessor!

Now that I've assessed the risk, I can get this earlier. This is incredibly useful. Resting in a dungeon? Heals me to full. Travelling to a new place? Ditto. Incredibly handy.

Then I powerlevelled a bit off Ankhegs.

This let me utterly destroy the bandit camp again.

Cloakwood was... still dicy. But the notable thing in this screenshot is a successful use of magic resistance, just the second one I've had on any of my runs and the first one on Boudica! In fact, I resisted seven or eight effects in all of cloakwood alone with my innate magic resistance. It's almost like it wants to be useful or something.

This sword is the other key weapon to let a wizard slayer do something at all in this game and was my reward for beating the encounter I lost last time correctly.

Best MR moment I've had yet.

I didn't actually know this coming into the run, but the boots of speed? Yeah, not forbidden to wizard slayers. I don't know why the hell not, but I'm not complaining.

My first act on entering Baldur's Gate.

Now what's this about Oberan's estate-

...Seriously? Oberan's daughters are what ended this run? I even killed two of them without effort, but a Horror I couldn't cheese myself out of in time did me in while I got plinked for several minutes. Because Horror's duration is silly. Good job slaying wizards, Wizard Slayer.

Final stats. RIP Boudica, my best Slayer yet. She achieved maximum level, you'll note: after this point in the game I'd gain no further levels, making the rest of the run interesting.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wizard Slayers are Terrible Part half-million: Akkurat the historically accurate Solo Purist Wizard Slayer stepped up.

Like so.

Then I did a whole bunch of poo poo, got to Baldur's Gate, and maxed out my level. And also demonstrated that two scrolls of protection stack with each other, another thing that makes this kit at all playable. After reaching max level, I already had every item I could even use that is in the game so there was no reason for me to do anything else. Bye bye Firewine, Durlag's tower, Ulgoth's Beard and most of the sidequests in BG proper (aside from ones that got me stat boosts). I also couldn't get the tomes beneath Candlekeep because I had no way to boost my strength high enough to unlock the tombs. I treated the rest of the game like a Megaman boss rush.

Skipped the second-to-last fight by taking this route. Surprising how few people know you can do that.

Then I did this.

Any questions? No? Good. gently caress this kit in the ear, goddamn.

Oh and Melicamp died this time, RIP Melicamp.

Honors:

Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1

Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).

Overcoming Adversity: Complete the game as a Wizard Slayer, Shapeshifter, Beastmaster, or non-Blade Bard (requires Purist).

Conan the Bhaalspawn: Complete the game without ever having an arcane spellcaster in the party

Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.

Battlemaster: Kill Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 without summoning any creatures or laying any traps.

A God Among Men: Complete the game alone. Do not remove or modify the level cap (requires purist).

• Locked thread