Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm in. Imizael, the Dragon Disciple. Going all evil for the first time if I survive Tarnesh.

edit: whoops I was an idiot for a very obvious reason. to a character editor I go.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Imizael is dead. Silke, Thespian Extraordinare blew her and Khalid up with a single lightning bolt.

Then I made an abortive berserker. By abortive I mean I had my two-handed sword explode while fighting Carbos in Candlekeep which is the worst start to any run possible. And there were no more for sale!

So, meet Talindra, Elf Swashbuckler. She's made it out of Candlekeep, picked up Khalid and Jaheira at the FAI, and is now loving around Beregost. She couldn't pickpocket Algernon for his cloak for some reason, which was weird. Also Neera blew herself up in her introductory fight, so that was pretty hilarious. Time to play some more!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

I think you gotta have a minimum 50 in pickpocket to even attempt it.

It wasn't until I levelled up and put some points into thief skills that I realized what the issue was. I installed the component for using thief skills in armour from the fixpack. Took my armour off and had no problems first try.

Speaking of, does anyone know the max lock picking you should have for BG1 and 2? EE, if it matters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dootman posted:

Lockpicking at 100 will open any lock that doesn't require a key in both games.

Whoops I meant pick pocketing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I really need to take more screenshots apparently. In the continuing adventures of Talindra the Swashbuckler, she's still alive after a lot of hilarious events!

Finishing up Beregost went okay. Silke went down by way of murdering herself with a lightning bolt after it bounced through Kagain and Khalid. I don't know if BGEE did it but Raise Dead is a lot cheaper - like 100g per level of who you're raising. Which is a blessing without save-scumming, really. It's fun actually having death matter, and I think I'm going to stop save scumming on deaths even after this in non-ironman runs.

So I cleared out Beregost, got Algernon's cloak after I figured out what was up, and headed south to Nashkel. I knew I would be fighting Neira, so I grabbed the ankheg plate, talked Noober 's ears off, and picked up Edwin. Went in the inn and the fun started.

I don't know what happened but Neira somehow confused Khalid. And by confused I mean after Neira went down, Khalid started slaughtering people in the inn dropping my reputation to 2 and bringing the guards after me. Cue a mad-dash chase out of Nashkel with me trying not to run into whatever a "Flaming Fist Battle Wizard" is (since it cast Protection from Normal Missiles and I'm like level 2 at this point) with the guards running after me.

I had like 200g to my name at this point and I was at Reputation 1. I didn't really have any way to fix things and I figured my run was over. Then I had a blast of inspiration. I had both the Carnival and the Beregost Temple discovered so I could travel to them. Neither are technically towns, so they don't spawn guards. I could use them and clear out the wilderness to get money to fix my rep to be able to go back to town. I cleaned out the Carnival to resupply.

First up was going west to the Gnoll Stronghold, since Edwin was already getting antsy. Because I couldn't go back to Nashkel and head west from there, I ended up going west from south of Beregost. Which lead me to the wilderness zone with Drizzt in it. Which is where my problems started. I ran into Teyngan and co and tried to take them down. Khalid almost got chunked. Imoen got magic missiled to death while running around horrified. Kagain wandered around and died randomly somehow I don't know how. I would have been killed except Edwin landed a Blindness on Teyngan and he wandered off into the fog of war. I had just enough money to go back to the temple and raise my dead, then returned, found Teyngan again and killed him.

Oh, except he killed three MORE of my characters along the way. Raise them AGAIN come back to that same wilderness map and then start clearing it out. I get hurt pretty well by a random bear attack, sleep and what shows up? An Ogre Berserker that kills two more party members. That's EIGHT in one map if you've been counting. Kill the Berserker, sleep with my remaining four party members, ANOTHER ONE spawns and I just run for it. After I raised my party I had spare money to buy a scroll of Stone to Flesh, so I pick that up and head south to the Carnival, grab Branwen, and dump Khalid and Jaheira. I make a fake trip to the Nashkel Mines and pick up Dorn as well.

Then I REALLY need to head west because Edwin's muttering about leaving. That goes relatively okay. I realize that killing Dynaheir and a couple more things I want to do are going to cost me some more Reputation so I skip the quests along the way to save for later. I make it to the Gnoll Stronghold and gently caress. As soon as I zone in, Edwin says his time is up and leaves. A bit of googling and some time with EEKeeper and Edwin is "convinced" to stick around by his timer somehow now being ten times longer! I clean out the Gnoll Stronghold and here's my only screenshot of the night for picking up the Charisma tome:

Killed Dynaheir and Imoen complained, so I ran over to Peldvale and traded her out for Viconia. Then I did the Nashkel Mines for easy xp - very easy, in fact, with Mulahey pretty much being a pushover versus a bunch of level 3-4 characters. Came out through the secret exit, cleared out a little bit of that side of the wilderness, and picked up Shar-Teel to finally replace the gross & ugly Kagain.

With most of my evil party together (NE MC, Dorn, Shar-Teel, Edwin, Viconia and Branwen as a stand-in until I can get Tiax) it was time to get my rep back up. I started clearing out the western side of the map and sold a ton of stuff at High Hedge, finally putting me above 10,000 gold. That + Bassilus was enough to finally give me money to fix my issues. Turned in Bassilus for 5,000gp and donated a ton, now I'm up to 17 reputation.

I headed south to Nashkel and crossed my fingers. Hopefully the game reset. Hopefully the entire town doesn't hate me. Hopefully I can turn in quests here now or I'm not sure what I'll do. Zoned in...and I was fine. Except for Nimbul. Who got held and murdered pretty quickly. I audibly sighed when I turned in my quests to Oublek and Berrun Ghastkill. No Flaming Fist Battle Mages, no nothing. I was in the good graces of the Sword Coast again. I had survived the weirdest turn of events I've ever had in Baldur's Gate.

I cleared out a little bit more of the wilderness and picked up that dude to take to the Temple of Wisdom at the Friendly Arm Inn. I deposited him, stocked up on all the potions I was missing, and checked in to the Inn for our first rest not on the road in like 30 days. My party deserved it.

Next up is clearing out the rest of the wilderness south of the Bandit Camp, getting Branwen revenge against Tranzig, and then the camp proper. Fun times!

I do have a question for those of you more experienced than me: I remember Firewine Bridge being a deathtrap, and I'm a bit wary of doing it ironman. Should I avoid it?

And my other issue is debating when to dual my Swashbuckler. 10 or 11 for the bonuses I guess? I'm not sure if the AC bonus is 1-5-10 or 1-6-11.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 8, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Reenacting Captain Brage is about right. 10 it is, thank you very much!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Ring of Wizardry is in BGEE. Edwin's wearing that one from the FAI in my run right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Holy hell and I thought I was going through the game quickly.

edit: Still wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how inadvisable the inside of Firewine Bridge is in Ironman. Probably not a good idea but idk.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Taking a break from playing to give you an update on the life and times of Talindra the Elven Swashbuckler. I've had a rough busy few days, so this is actually a few play sessions progress put together.

So the first thing I did was go to Beregost and kill Tranzig. Both for information on the Bandit Camp, and for revenge for Branwen. He went down like a chump and I showed him no mercy as he begged for his life.

Then I did what I usually do, aka clear up everything south of the Bandit Camp for XP and loot before invading. Despite doing a lot to clear my reputation (now 20!) I still had plenty to explore and take care of.

Including the most wonderful magically influenced crazy people in the entire trilogy. BLOOD WILL OUT!!!!

After that it was time for sirines. gently caress sirines. I hate them to rear end and hell and everything in between.

The worst thing about the two groups on the way to the flesh golem cave is that they have other stuff stuck in with them. The first group has a set of Hobgoblin Elite who are all too happy to poison your held characters; the second group has a carrion crawler spawn nearby that is way too easy to wander into. In the above shot, Edwin had controlled the sirines with Stinking Cloud and I still almost lost Dorn to a crawler.

But I made it to the cave safely. Remembering what everyone said, I sent Talindra in alone to find the traps. She also lured the flesh golems out to have everyone else murder them outside. I don't actually use stealth at all in BG and I should really start, you all are making it seem really helpful. Talindra read the book and no longer suffers from the weaknesses of elven flesh.

One cool thing about this party is that I generally don't use many of these characters. I usually play good and don't even take Edwin, so I'm seeing a lot of new banter and stuff. Like this random fight for dominance Shar-Teel challenged Dorn to outside of Ulcaster: Both of them went uncontrollable and actually started fighting.

Dorn won by virtue of just having the better gear. Thanks Shar-Teel for making me rest for 16 hours AGAIN. At least it wasn't to the death, I was worried that it would be.

Inside Ulcaster I was an idiot and walked into the fireball room. My heart jumped when I realized what I'd done - I almost died in one shot! Eek! Edwin ate it. :smith:

I've seen Viconia saying this respect thing before but never Shar-Teel's response. She really just lives by the sword. Go Ms. Misandry!

I kept clearing out the eastern side of the world map. This fight with a couple assassins went super weird. Stinking Cloud and Fireball them from off-screen and then when I close to arrow range the dialogue trigger goes off. So Ioin there stands up from prone and starts bragging about how he's going to kill me, I tell him to gently caress off, and then he takes 2 steps and falls over again.

I have never actually had this guy say I saved his cow. He just doesn't like me or something.

gently caress basilisk random encounters. Luckily I'd been taking notes from you all so I kept a few Potions of Mirrored Eyes on me. Talindra chugged one and we charged the basilisk. Dorn got stoned immediately, but we took it out. Talindra ALSO had scrolls for just this occasion so I got Dorn back.

I protected Dorn from petrification and threw him at all the basilisks in AR3500 or whatever it is so he could have some revenge. Viconia just hit level 5, so she added a skeleton buddy to the cause. Easy, good xp at this point.

Not shown is clearing out Firewine. I took everyone's advice and just went through Gullykin to kill the ogre mage and the other mage nearby. It was STILL a loving mess with the ogre mage + human mage + ogrillions + kobold commanders in there. Glad I skipped it.

And then I headed up to Peldvale and Larswood and made 5k in bandit scalps for Officer Vai. If she's cut off from her superiors in Baldur's Gate, how does she have that much money?

I restocked at High Hedge and Thunderhammer, and now it's time for the camp proper! This is always fun in the "giant huge loving mess" way that a lot of Infinity Engine fights are.

I don't have anything left except for Durlag's Tower south of the FAI, so the next few play sessions will be pretty linear. Bandit Camp, the Cloakwood, and then the last few wilderness areas south of Baldur's Gate before I head into the city proper. I'm a little worried about the fight with Simmeon at the gates; that could probably get pretty nasty. Oh, and for the record Talindra is now level 6. Not sure what I'll do if I hit level 10 before the end of BG.

Addendum:

For some reason there is STILL a group of guards that hates me in Beregost. I'm reputation 20! I'm better than you! gently caress off!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 11, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You can also edit in spell casting and thieving in armour in BG2Tweaks.

Alternatively if you're playing EE, there's elven chain mail you can get from Dorn's quest in Chapter 5.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Another update since I've been playing a lot and this is going to boil over if I don't do one now.

Talindra made it to the Bandit Camp easily. At this point after clearing out all the wilderness pretty much everything in here is piss-easy.

The only hard part was fighting Taugosz. And by hard I mean Shar-Teel got knocked out and ate a few arrows before I took out the rest of the bandits.

Pretty much the same in here. Horror, Silence the mage, cut everything down like grass. I think I may be getting too good for vanilla BG1, but I don't want to switch to something like SCS since I've never actually finished the trilogy or anything. I just have a lot of half-completed BG1 and BG2 games.

After that, it was time for the Cloakwood! I forgot to take a picture, but I killed Aldeth Sashenstar for his sword, forever altering the course of the Realms forever by the Sashenstar family not being around to break the Iron Throne's stranglehold on commerce in the Western Heartlands in the Year of Lightning Storms.

The spider's lair was the only hard part like normal. Nothing seemed to actually work - my fireballs missed, crowd control did nothing, it was just yucky. And the pathfinding in there is 1 million kinds of poo poo.

Viconia got slaughtered by a sword spider for the problems I had, so I hopped back to the FAI to get her resurrected. On my way to Gellana Mirrorshade, Elminster ran over to tell me about the Cloakwood. I've never actually seen this conversation before I think; I guess because it requires you to go specifically to the FAI during a period when you're more likely to resupply in Beregost and then rush the woods.

Sorry Shadow Druids, you got in the way of my path of destruction and I actually really don't care about the forest besides what BLOOD it gives me. I murdered them all and stole their good poo poo.

I nearly had a heart attack. What the gently caress game? A random encounter with wyverns in it? Before I get to Cloakwood 4? gently caress YOU.

When I made it to the entrance to the mines, the walkthrough I'm using showed me this encounter that I'd never seen before. Basically if you go up the river bank to the northwest, there's another set of guards there. It was JUST enough to get Edwin levelled up to level 6, so I could get some more spells for the upcoming party fight across the river. Wasn't looking forward to that.

Yeah, about that. I spent about 5 minutes buffing and 30 seconds fighting after they all got Horrored. Yawn. Boots of Speed though!

You're going to give me a world of hurt. Okay. Dorn? Cut this man in half. *splat*

I never noticed this before, but in BG:EE, if you hold down Tab while you have the thieving cursor selected, it highlights locks and traps in green. Nice usability upgrade. Sorry for the Steam overlay - the OS X screenshot keys and tab equal Shift-Tab.

I'm getting too good at this. I remember Davaeorn being hard - I just went at him and he fell over pretty easily. Poor guy spent most of his time teleporting to get away and only getting like two actual spells off.

As befits my first evil run, I drowned the slaves. I lost two rep but who cares - it puts me a lot closer to becoming Goddess of Murder!

After resupplying, it was time to head west. I shouted insults at Ajantis until he called me a bully and ran off. Silly stupid holy-man. Can't fight worth a poo poo.

The first big deal was heading to Wyrm's Crossing to end Dorn's quest. Simmeon wasn't nearly as hard as I feared: Horror did good work on him and his friends, and then it was just a race to take the Thralls down before they killed anyone. I picked up some sweet elven chain mail for Talindra, she'll probably be wearing it for the rest of the game.

I made a side-trip to sort things out with Tenya, and above her, her goddess. Because everyone in Faerun knows the one person you never ever ever piss off is the Bitch Queen. She remembers.

And now Talindra, elven swashbuckler heads into the big city of Baldur's Gate, having cleared out the wilderness behind her. I have a secret society to burn, a group of sellswords to pal up to, and my father's legacy to reclaim. But first I have to get the last and most important part of my party.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I hope Sleep of Bronze is okay he hasn't updated the OP in ages.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So as soon as Talindra, elven swashbuckler entered the walls of Baldur's Gate proper, she took off to the southwestern part of the city. Specifically just outside the Flaming Fist compound, where she knew she would find a new friend.

Tiax the Magnificent, mad priest-thief of Cyric and last member of my party. I stripped Branwen of all of her gear and kicked her out. No room for balance; the great TIAX is here!

Maybe the not so great Tiax. Seriously those stats are vile.

Now it's time to traipse all around Baldur's Gate and take on every side quest I come across.

My old friend from the Nashkel Carnival had come north again for some reason. I bought out most of his stock, including another Necklace of Missiles yay!

I hopped into the Thieves' Guild and did all the stuff there, including collecting the Dexterity stat book.

I generally clear the city clockwise so I can save the stupid poison quest for the last. Hence getting the Gauntlets of Ogre Power early at the cost of Shar-Teel's life. They went right to Tiax to make him marginally less terrible.

I enjoyed staving this paladin's head in. How dare he get in my way. I'm better than him.

Dabron Sashenstar came at me to get revenge for his brother's murder. So I killed him like the rest. Without Dabron I've condemned the Sword Coast to domination by the Iron Throne in the Year of Lightning Storms. But who cares I'll be Goddess of Murder by then.

I might be evil and selfish and murderous but I don't gently caress with children. Petrine got her ring and her kitty back 20 seconds later. I'm pretty sure if I took the evil option for this quest I'd cry in real life.

So here was where my fun started. I kept loving up dialogue with quest givers by picking mean options. I didn't get the offer to fix this lady's blackmail problem, so I just stole all 209 of her gems, spit on her, and left.

The Delvers of Undermountain stood like no chance. I was way too ready and way too well equipped for them. MVP goes to Teleport Field which why the hell does Halbazzer Drin have a scroll of this haha this breaks this game in loving half.

Same MVP here. This fight was harder and Edwin ate it, but Teleport Field still carried me through. I hosed up talking to Degrodel so I didn't get the quest at all. Instead while I was half-dead and with all my spells expended I accidentally skipped right to the fight with him. I survived by running out in the street to separate out the second wave of battle horrors, although it was looking very dire at one point. Talindra ended up trapped inside and surrounded, pretty soon to die. Luckily the AI was bad and moved just far enough away for her to escape. Very tense.

New banter. Tiax tried to steal Dorn's power by saying magic words at him. Oh, Tiax, you're so hilariously pathetic.

So because I missed out on Degrodel's quest I ended up just getting the Balduran stuff manually. Stole the helm, pickpocketed the sex worker in the Undercellar.

Oh, and murdered the rival party one by one to cover up any loose ends.

More banter.

The Hall of Wonder was an easy mark. I told the gnome to gently caress off: she can't cut it in the real world anyway.

Remember what I said about loving up quests? I killed Ragefast, brought Abela to Ramazith's tower, ascended the tower and killed Ramazith, and then hosed up getting the lock of hair from Abela herself. When I said I was going to capture her and make her my own she tried to teleport away. Why she didn't do that before I don't know, but she wasn't quick enough to stop me killing her. Funnily enough, she dropped an actual nymph cloak, not the lock of nymph hair.

Another stat tome collected while I was up there.

I took this screenshot because it confuses me. Where could I have met Sarevok for a second time already? After this there's Koveras and the final fight, that makes sense, but I'm lost before that.

Remember what I said about never pissing off the Bitch Queen? I decided to take a chance for another stat tome. I'm sure she won't mind.

*thinks about Balduran's Island*
*thinks about Spellhold*

Uh...:smith:

Fixed my sudden case of fatal death too. gently caress this guy he thought he could get the better of me.

Because I'm evil I was really hoping I could go the whole way and get the Big Metal Unit and everything. I guess it's not happening. Thanks, JERK.

I totally messed up my plan for the Iron Throne fight. The three time MVP and some assists from fireballs sorted them out really quick though.

And now, Talindra, Elven Swashbuckler is back home. A lot wiser, a lot stronger, and a lot more bloodthirsty. Let's see who we can kill - maybe the heads of the Iron Throne for a start?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Well, I just lost my run in the worst way possible. A bugged trap. You know how they go, they go off when you're not actually standing on the trigger. And this being Durlag's, in the time it took me to try to click to disarm the trap it had gone off three times and I got blown up by lightning bolts.

gently caress.. RIP Talindra.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Well, I just lost my run in the worst way possible. A bugged trap. You know how they go, they go off when you're not actually standing on the trigger. And this being Durlag's, in the time it took me to try to click to disarm the trap it had gone off three times and I got blown up by lightning bolts.

gently caress.. RIP Talindra.

In retrospect, I died to a bug, and bugs are an acceptable reason for reloads according to the OP. I'm going to keep playing this file as an Ironman attempt; if anyone disagrees with this please speak up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You must collect your dead bodies before venturing forth: BG Ironman 2015.

edit: Talindra the elven swashbuckler is currently at the bottom of Durlag's Tower about to take the Hell Knight on. I'll have an update in the new thread.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 15, 2015

• Locked thread