Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I haven't played a proper game of Baldur's Gate in something like a decade. And I don't actually remember what all mods I have installed (though I'm pretty sure I have, at least, both SCSes, and I know I have the one that randomly relocates most of the magic items in the game). I've also not really messed around with anything that didn't have 'kensai' or 'swashbuckler' in the name.

So this is the perfect opportunity to embarrass myself attain glory!

Definitely not Purist, definitely not the one that says you don't reroll your stats a lot, oh, and this isn't EE.

So much embarrassment glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Didn't take any screenshots between Candlekeep and the Friendly Arms Inn, but nothing really exciting happened. Shank came down with a sudden case of Chromatic Orb To The Face, Carbos and Dunworthy missed each other for about a week, and then D cast Entangle, which accomplished nothing useful whatsoever. Eventually Carbos died, possibly of boredom.

Picked up Xzar and Montaron, though we'll be sending them on their merry soon enough. Montaron was kind enough to get seriously hurt stabbing while Tarnesh in the face. However, Tarnesh, too, came down with a mysterious case of Chromatic Orb To The Face, I think there's an epidemic going around. He then fled into the Friendly Arms Inn, whereupon D's party pursued and slaughtered him. A patron rushed over in light of all this chaos to tell some pointless story about his uncle.

We have now picked up Khalid and Jaheira.

Up next, we will be getting on with investigating whatever's going on in Nashk- hahaha I mean we'll be looting the inn.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Still early days for Dunworthy and Company. Decided not to rob the Friendly Arms blind (just yet) but Imoen did engage in a bit of recreational lockpicking, enough to get her to level 2. We also murdered some innocent hobgoblins. They were, uh, defiling nature. Sure.

Then wandered south to clear out the Crossroads area between us and Beregost. Here my brave and noble champions can be seen slaughtering the sickly peasants.

And then there was the ogre. You can't see because they're all healed up again, but Khalid, Montaron, and Dunworthy all came quite close to perishing in this fight. But D. hit level 2 as a result, so all's well that ends.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The infamous Silke claims another life, alas.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Did a reinstall after Dunworthy's less-than-stunning performance, so I could actually be sure of what mods I had. (Notable ones aside from fixpacks and such are Ascension, SCS, Rogue Rebalancing, Item Randomizer, and, possibly against my better judgement, the one that adds a bunch of NPC dialogue to BG1, though I was careful to tell it NO ROMANCES. Let's hope it listened.) I did switch on the thing that moves joinable NPCs around, and made Khalid a fighter-mage, but did not enable Max HP, so no actual demerits, I hope!

As for my next attempt, I'm sure it's been done before, but who cares?

Meet HULK

HULK SMASH STABBY MAN

HULK SMASH OTHER STABBY MAN

HULK SMASH BIG BAD WOLF

HULK STRONGEST ONE THERE IS

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not done a huge amount with HULK since yesterday. I did ditch Eldoth (who a mod moved to the Crossroads area for early recruiting), mostly because Bentley at the Friendly Arms Inn wouldn't sell anything but junk and rent us anything but junk rooms while he was in the party. I've never really had Eldoth around before, so I don't know if that's normal, or from a mod. Also, I'm not sure a bard, even one with 16 strength, really fits the motif of what I have started thinking of as TEAM SMASH. Mind you, neither does Imoen, but she can stick around for now. Speaking of whom, my god that NPC Banter mod makes her into a chatterbox. She horns in on every conversation and interrupts me once every 3 seconds with HEY LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW WE ARE AMAZING ADVENTURERS.

Which brings me to the reason for this update, even though nothing much has happened. I'm using an Icewind Dale soundset (the one that's all growls of various lengths and volumes) for HULK, which led to the most wonderful character selection sound confluence:

IMOEN: "Are you gonna tell me a story about trollops and plugtails? PLEEEEEEEEEEASE?"

HULK: "RRAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!"

TEAM SMASH are on their way to Beregost. On their way, they've run into hobgoblins, the belt ogre, and the usual assortment of gibberlings, xvarts, wolves (a couple dire, one dread) and even the odd bandit, all of whom HULK had few if any issues in smashing.

Khalid nearly got murdered by gibberlings. He might not be TEAM SMASH material either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Is there a mod to add ID and NWN voice sets, or do you just pull the files yourselves?

I used the Icewind Dale Voice Pack Converter at http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_soundsets2.php (second link from the bottom). I'm sure I've seen the voice packs themselves online somewhere, though.

I'll have to admit that I'm morbidly curious about the Metallica soundset linked on that page.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My attempts summarized:

1. Dunworthy the Half-Elf Avenger died unceremoniously to Silke.
2. HULK the Half-Orc Barbarian is wandering around in Nashkel in the process of assembling his highly-trained band of fellow SMASHers (and Khalid). Probably off to sort out the gnolls next.

e. Actually, while we're at it, HULK could do with an update. Not many screenshots, apparently I'm terrible at remembering to take them. Just the one for now:

LEAVE HULK ALONE!

HULK spent some time in Beregost, visiting people in their homes while Imoen undertook some recreational lockpicking. Spiders were smashed, assassins were smashed, books were retrieved, and Marl was talked down rather than tossed through a window. (Puny Banner must have been in control then.) I'm beginning to have second, third, and tenth thoughts about this NPCS WON'T EVER SHUT UP mod, but I will persevere for now. Fortunately nothing extra-creepy, just, you know, people are chatterboxes. Especially Imoen.

TEAM SMASH went on down to Nashkel by way of High Hedge without a great deal of incident. We sorted out whatshername who attacks us in the Inn at Nashkel, picked up Minsc, and went over to the Carnival, where Jaheira mugged that dude with the stone-to-flesh scroll and we got Branwen. (I don't remember that happening before, so it must be a mod change, but it's one I favor.)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 15, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Alas, even the HULK could not triumph always.

In lieu of a screenshot of the fateful final battle against Sendai and company, some appropriate parting dialogue and music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvs-6y9FImU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Farewell~

I was sure that HULK could make it.

It was mostly a combination of bad luck and some bad choices. I'm almost certainly going to try HULK or something similar again, he was a lot of fun early on.

• Locked thread