Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It always felt so satisfying voting down the comments from the racists, pedophiles, and trolls on youtube, but at some point a few years ago Google decided to make everything safe and cushy for everyone and now the downvote button is a placebo, sort of like the 'door close' button on most elevators. You can press it but it does nothing. If you upvote the effect is immediate--your vote is added and you see it added right away. If you downvote nothing happens. Presumably your vote is saved and subtracted from the next upvote (meaning no comment can ever go below a zero rating), or maybe it does nothing. It's hard to tell. I've noticed other forums that have a voting system like Disqus or Kinja do a similar thing.

Only having positive votes is one of those 'facebook innovations' that has made the experience of the internet worse all around.

IMO, it's undemocratic.

That's the nice thing about this forum. See this lovely loving thread I made? You can vote 1 all you like. That's called FREEDOM. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The "1" rating here still works fine OP.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of loser votes on yt videos or at all

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
why even read youtube comments?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wootman posted:

why even read youtube comments?

pretending other people don't exist won't make them go away

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The door close button on elevators doesn't work???

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

The real question is, why are you reading or participating in the YouTube comments.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Helpimscared posted:

The real question is, why are you reading or participating in the OPs thread.

ftfy

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

The door close button on elevators doesn't work???

thats not true. the elevator door close button was how i killed my ex's pomeranian

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-youtube-comments/kehdmnjmaakacofbgmjgjapbbibhafoh?hl=en

You are welcome.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Helpimscared posted:

The real question is, why are you reading or participating in the YouTube comments.

When a clearly insane person makes a video that you know would be roundly condemned by anyone who watches it, but they go through the trouble of disabling comments: You downvote that poo poo as hard as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

When a clearly insane person makes a video that you know would be roundly condemned by anyone who watches it, but they go through the trouble of disabling comments: You downvote that poo poo as hard as possible.

they usually disable rating the video or posting comments when they know they're posting a really poo poo video

• Locked thread