Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Panniculus Rift posted:

crowd sourced anime will replace hollywood movies

Miami connection 2 won the oscar that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just have a lot of hope for the future. My parents probably paid 50-70 bucks a month for cable back in the day. Today I pay $9 bucks a month for Netflix and watch almost everything else for free legally. In another 10-30 years our kids will probably be laughing about how much money we wasted on Netflix/Theater tickets.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I just have a lot of hope for the future. My parents probably paid 50-70 bucks a month for cable back in the day. Today I pay $9 bucks a month for Netflix and watch almost everything else for free legally. In another 10-30 years our kids will probably be laughing about how much money we wasted on Netflix/Theater tickets.

They will probably be paying more. I mean Im the same way. I havent had cable since the 90's. I hate mindless tv. But I have amazon prime, netflix and a hbo go subscription. I feel like between that and full rental and digital services I have all the content I could ever want. You are looking at around $40 a month plus the internet connection. At some point piracy just isnt worth the time. Why store all those stuff when you can stream it on a $100 box? Its going to get worse when 4k content becomes the norm. People will not be downloading 4k content in great numbers. It will be too big.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

People will not be downloading 4k content in great numbers. It will be too big.

Eh I'm sure someone said the same thing about 1080p blurays. Compression, internet speeds, and disk space will likely improve as well. Piracy will decrease though but that's because (like you said) it's cheap/easy to watch things legally now.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 6, 2015

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Eh I'm sure someone said the same thing about 1080p blurays. Compression, internet speeds, and disk space will likely improve as well. Piracy will decrease though but that's because (like you said) it's cheap/easy to watch things legally now.

people still say that about blurays. Not many people have the dedication to devote 20gb to each bluray release. They will compress it or something.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
jst0rm is a stupid retard

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

THE PENETRATOR posted:

jst0rm is a stupid retard

- the penetrator

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

- the penetrator
actually no he's got a point, I was intently reading your posts until I saw his post, but now I'm starting to think there's a possibility that you're just a stupid retard

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
im actually an intelligent retard and im afraid your rear end is grass..

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Panniculus Rift posted:

crowd sourced anime will replace hollywood movies

Sooooo, you got a link where I can donate or what?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
jstorm got lost on his way to d&d and now hes just wandering around our forum barfing up numbered lists about piracy and bumping into walls

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
They should make a version of that Painstation arcade pong machine only instead of just hurting you if you get scored on it totally cuts your hands off if you lose.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

a hole-y ghost posted:

actually no he's got a point, I was intently reading your posts until I saw his post, but now I'm starting to think there's a possibility that you're just a stupid retard

im so owned.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

jstorm got lost on his way to d&d and now hes just wandering around our forum barfing up numbered lists about piracy and bumping into walls

I dont have time for d&d. Pages of text are not my thing. If GBS doesn't care to listen then they should stop responding. Im not going to conform to your norm just because.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
actually, you should, human being

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

people still say that about blurays. Not many people have the dedication to devote 20gb to each bluray release. They will compress it or something.

Yeah but honestly the compressed blurays still look really good.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

I dont have time for d&d. Pages of text are not my thing. If GBS doesn't care to listen then they should stop responding. Im not going to conform to your norm just because.

i think that pages of text are ur thing, and i will keep responding even tho i do not care to listen :mrgw:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah but honestly the compressed blurays still look really good.

not on large tv's. Somebody barely getting by is probably watching the movies on a laptop with crap speakers anyhow.

Im running a deftech bp8060st atmos rig into a 64" plasma. dual 10" 300 watt subs. Im kind of looking for the experience and I'm willing to pay for it. Thats not for everyone though.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

i think that pages of text are ur thing, and i will keep responding even tho i do not care to listen :mrgw:

I would never expect anything more from you.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

I would never expect anything more from you.

"shoot for the moon. even if u miss u will land among the stars"

-the grrrlsweatshirt gbs posting motto

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Im happy for you. You're like the Buddhist monk of forum posting.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Wernher von Braun was said to have shot for the stars, but he hit london.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

NiceGuy posted:

not much replay value, op

agreedo, pointless without new game +
can't even play it again anyway if i even wanted to

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Volume posted:

Mods please rename thread to "every day we own Jst0rm in this thread"

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Volume posted:

Volume posted:

Mods please rename thread to "every day we own Jst0rm in this thread"

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

jst0rm has a different view about piracy then me WAAAAA. Call him a idiot and tell him he has been owned but offer no substantive response. - a moronic gbs goon

Get hosed loser.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Jst0rm posted:

jst0rm has a different view about piracy then me WAAAAA. Call him a idiot and tell him he has been owned but offer no substantive response. - a moronic gbs goon

Get hosed loser.
The things you are saying are dumb though, record companies pretty much always screwed over artists and had unreasonable contracts that would frequently literally leave the musicians in debt while the companies made money hand over fist. Piracy hurts record companies, but artists weren't making much money from albums in the first place and it was really only ever a viable career for a very small percentage to begin with. Piracy certainly won't be responsible for killing off music in general, but it may end up killing the middleman parts of the industry.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

The things you are saying are dumb though, record companies pretty much always screwed over artists and had unreasonable contracts that would frequently literally leave the musicians in debt while the companies made money hand over fist. Piracy hurts record companies, but artists weren't making much money from albums in the first place and it was really only ever a viable career for a very small percentage to begin with. Piracy certainly won't be responsible for killing off music in general, but it may end up killing the middleman parts of the industry.

The middleman parts of the industry was were all the jobs were. It has always been up to the artists to control their careers. What the major labels give you is world wide distribution. Even nine inch nails went back to major distribution because he recognized he couldnt get everywhere without it.

The funny thing is a lot of artists also worked those middleman jobs. The idea that they now can either pick to work at best buy and do music on the side or starve and do music is a joke. They were able to hone thier skills while still working in studios and that is gone. Music will suffer in the long run. Drum samples have replaced real drummers and as much as I love good electronic music you cant replace an amazing recording space with in the box reverb. The very best in the box software will give a frozen snap shot of the sound of a space from a specific position. It wont give you the ability to change the reflection points and mic positions to get the best sound for that unique moment.

The idea that a major label would front a band 1 million and then somehow the band ended up in debt tells me that band mismanaged those funds. Have record labels screwed people over? Of course. Capitalism is built on screwing people over. Have artists gotten exposure they would of never had by signing with a label? hell yes.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
and im not trying to white knight for the music industry by talking to you guys about this. The music industry is done. It has shifted to the hobbyist and the pros now sell hobbyists tools to pretend they are actually making music paint by numbers style.

Its become a gold rush. .0001% make some money and it drives droves of people to it. The real money in the gold rush was selling picks and shovels. That is exactly where the industry is right this moment. And I'm gearing up right this moment to sell my own tools to people. So there.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
"drum samples have replaced real drummers" - some idiot who works for a hip hop label

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

THE PENETRATOR posted:

"drum samples have replaced real drummers" - some idiot who works for a hip hop label

the penetrator - someone who doesn't understand what drum replacement is.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

Get hosed loser.

eat poo poo and put a weiner in ur mouth fucker idiot

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

eat poo poo and put a weiner in ur mouth fucker idiot

them stars. you hit them.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
the idiot fucker store called. their out of u and cant sell anything because they have no merchandise since u arent there...

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

the idiot fucker store called. their out of u and cant sell anything because they have no merchandise since u arent there...

that was closer. It was like saying the 90's called and they want your ice burn back.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
lmfao if u were alive during the 90s

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Jst0rm posted:

The idea that a major label would front a band 1 million and then somehow the band ended up in debt tells me that band mismanaged those funds. Have record labels screwed people over? Of course. Capitalism is built on screwing people over. Have artists gotten exposure they would of never had by signing with a label? hell yes.
Typically the money is loaned and then everyone but the artists makes the bulk of the money from sales and such, the artist's then already small fraction has to go back to paying off the debt. And while yeah it was a necessary evil for exposure for a while, that's not so much the case anymore when you have tons of places you can put your music on the internet with and plenty of people who are constantly looking for new things to talk about. If you think about it logically a lot of your "points" contradict each other/themselves. For example, you were complaining about it being hard for artists to get out there because there's such a big flood of new content on tube and streaming sites that it's easy to go unnoticed, but there's a big flood of new content on tube and streaming sites precisely because it's easier than ever to get your poo poo out there in places people are looking and listening.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 6, 2015

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
lol if you buy music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Rule
Mar 18, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

Get hosed loser.

You're too dumb to keep your autism contained to relevant threads

Or too autistic to keep your dumb contained to them.

Either way owned loser lmao

• Locked thread