Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i went to portland oregon once and went like five whole days without seeing a single black person it was surreal
This was my experience of Northern Europe. A vague sense of unease that I couldn't put my finger on until I realized I was in a major city and hadn't seen a single black person. It super weird being surrounded by 100% white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

don't live in buckhead

especially not for $600 a month welcome to bad neighbors and holes in the wall city

Oh god no, I wouldn't live in an apartment that changes me less than $900. Wealth privilege. I was just saying that I found a cheap apartment in one of ATL's better neighborhoods.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

Oh god no, I wouldn't live in an apartment that changes me less than $900. Wealth privilege. I was just saying that I found a cheap apartment in one of ATL's better neighborhoods.

its not that surprising, immediately outside buckhead are a bunch of old rear end once commuter apartments which have become defacto tenements

when i worked in restaurants in midtown i'd often give the mexican boh staff rides home and every one of them lived somewhere in buckhead, in some dingy trap surrounded by brand new high rise condos

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
like i would be highly suspicious of a $600 rental anywhere itp let alone two blocks from lenox

last time i paid that little i was living in a place in little five with rats in the walls and actual holes in the floor

and it owned

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I live in a place that is 900 a month for a two bedroom, including all utilities (internet and cable even). The tradeoff is that you risk death every day riding elevators from the 50's.

It owns.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This was my experience of Northern Europe. A vague sense of unease that I couldn't put my finger on until I realized I was in a major city and hadn't seen a single black person. It super weird being surrounded by 100% white people.

Where was this? Tallinn???

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Where was this? Tallinn???
Copenhagen

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Really miss the fifties patch. Single income could prestige you into affluence with a factory class, let alone a college PrC.

Otoh they buffed the gently caress out of financial classes since then.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Move to that all-White haven known as Somalia.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
i pay 425 a month and live in brooklyn new york it fucken owns

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Your Weird Uncle posted:

How

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Your Weird Uncle posted:

do you also sleep with your super or what

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Your Weird Uncle posted:

So you have 6 roommates, no common areas and one bathroom? Sounds "great"

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
What is this SJW tumblr dragonkin privilege poo poo?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

split a room with the lady

Powercrazy posted:

So you have 6 roommates, no common areas and one bathroom? Sounds "great"

3, living room and kitchen, 1.5

way to living situation shame, i thought you were an ally in the proletariat struggle u gently caress

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

nutranurse posted:

do you also sleep with your super or what

my super's a hasid bruh, they dont go for that

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Your Weird Uncle posted:

My girlfriend pays under $800/month for a large 1BR in Penn Quarter, DC. Market for a place like it is over $2000. Her white privilege.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OP where are you having problems / feel like you are falling behind?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Is there a website I can visit or a book I can get that will help me maximize my white privilege? I feel as though I'm missing out when I hear this term. I am Jewish, so not technically white (although an Oppressor nonetheless, because, like, Palestine!), but can often Pass for white.

Don't worry, you're doing great.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You'll know you're privileged when:

You decide "I'd like a masters." Two weeks later you've been accepted (at a good university). It doesn't cost you anything. As an undergrad you had below a 2.8.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You get into a fight in public. You aren't arrested. Everybody assumes you didn't start it and are the wronged party.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

People come up to you several times a day unsolicited, just to let you know they think your children are beautiful. This even happens when they have their own children.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They'll pay you over six figures. You have real control over how you work. You have real control over when you work. Your work makes you feel good about yourself. You didn't have to struggle to get the job.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Those all sound great, but I think the OP was specifically asking about White Privilege. Unless you think only 'white' people have beautiful kids, which is kind of a hosed up belief, or that only "white" people have ever gotten into a fight?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

You get into a fight in public. You aren't arrested. Everybody assumes you didn't start it and are the wronged party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3mN8cbMy84&t=3s

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

They'll pay you over six figures. You have real control over how you work. You have real control over when you work. Your work makes you feel good about yourself. You didn't have to struggle to get the job.

What if no one would give you a job, so you hung a shingle and now pay yourself six figures?

OH NOES BOOTSTRAPS ALERT LIES LIES LIES!!!!!! IMPOSSIBLE IN NAZI AMERIKKKA!!!!!1111111!eleventy

Belch.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I was poor once then it got better, how can I have white privilege if I've ever been poor.?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Is that what privilege looks like?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Arrested for instigating a riot immediately afterwards.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Unless you think only 'white' people have beautiful kids, which is kind of a hosed up belief, or that only "white" people have ever gotten into a fight?

No but there is a cultural standard of beauty spread by media and culture. It's very white and very blond. If your kid looks like Taylor Swift and Anderson Cooper had a baby, that's a thing that happens.

No, but if you're a white kid and you do something wrong, you get treated different, you might not even be punished. Concepts like "youthful indiscretion" or "just teenage behavior" apply to your actions. A more specific example would be how young white drug users get treated differently than young black drug users.

Some where along the line if you are white, male, and even moderately good looking, it becomes obvious that not everybody gets treated like you get treated. I went to an Academy. That's privileged white male central.

Here's another one:

People you meet even only incidentally always remember who you are and always positively. Often even years later. You have no idea who they are. You expect this situation as the norm.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

TheImmigrant posted:

What if no one would give you a job, so you hung a shingle and now pay yourself six figures?

OH NOES BOOTSTRAPS ALERT LIES LIES LIES!!!!!! IMPOSSIBLE IN NAZI AMERIKKKA!!!!!1111111!eleventy

Belch.

why do you think it was possible for you to work your way up to a six figure income, while most men of color don't get such an opportunity?

ill give you a hint: it's in the thread title

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
TheImmigrant, i haven't kept track of your posting persona recently: are you white, black, or hispanic now? i remember you were gay for a while

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Your Weird Uncle posted:

why do you think it was possible for you to work your way up to a six figure income, while most men of color don't get such an opportunity?

ill give you a hint: it's in the thread title

It isn't. Most of my clients have no idea what is my ethnicity. It doesn't matter.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

TheImmigrant, i haven't kept track of your posting persona recently: are you white, black, or hispanic now? i remember you were gay for a while

I'm 6'9".

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

TheImmigrant posted:

It isn't. Most of my clients have no idea what is my ethnicity.

it is though.

i.e. you aren't black and therefore get the "privilege" of not being treated like something to be feared, exploited or pitied.

also your syntax blows, i highly doubt you're a lawyer

Your Weird Uncle fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 7, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

drat, you might just be the tallest midget. Congratulations!

BrandorKP posted:

People you meet even only incidentally always remember who you are and always positively. Often even years later. You have no idea who they are. You expect this situation as the norm.

I often remember people's faces years after seeing them once. Am I the source of privilege? How can I spread this gift? Some people remember me, some people don't I assume this is normal, but it sounds like it's something more insidious.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

Belch.

Good to know you are profiting off of Ponzi schemes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Powercrazy posted:

drat, you might just be the tallest midget. Congratulations!

I often remember people's faces years after seeing them once. Am I the source of privilege? How can I spread this gift? Some people remember me, some people don't I assume this is normal, but it sounds like it's something more insidious.

It means we have to through you into the fires of Mt. Doom to bring peace to the world.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
OP you should move to Irvine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

Height Privilege.

• Locked thread