Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So I decided to take a look at this 'Amendment 1' from Alabama. Its actually kinda hilarious because its written in a technically secular way. Technically, elements of Sharia law (itself not universally defined anyway) could still be legal so long as they were made part of Alabama's actual law. Plus, its entirely redundant, since, you know, one can't legally apply the law of one country in another country - unless they're planning to give Alabama citizens immunity from international law (so long as it can be established that such is violating their US based rights).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Larry Wilmore is owning this so far. The only thing was the episode last night, I felt a bit uncomfortable near the end - for a show that had a theme of people not believing women, it was weird having Wilmore not believe the panelist about not lying to get a guy in trouble. I think with that question they expected a funny honest answer, especially after the previous episode "Everyone's a little bit racist" vibe, but the pauses last night just felt like Wilmore was caught off guard and they couldn't make it funny. She didn't get any speaking time after that and looked super bummed out the rest of the night. Just an uncomfortable moment, and not the right kind of uncomfortable that the show has been hitting.

Anyway, other than that, I am happy to have this, because along with Last Week Tonight, The Daily Show, and this fall the new Colbert show, night time comedy shows are in good shape.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The panel thing is growing on me, while keep it 100 is going in the opposite direction. It's not a terrible bit exactly, but having it be both the third act and the closing segment every single day is not going to work.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The panel is clearly here to stay, they're gonna have to rotate bits for the post-panel discussion segment though. There's a lot of stuff they could potentially do besides just "ask awkwardly difficult questions with only a yes or no answer" in a panel setting.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is true. They're right on the verge of having an interesting conversation, but Comedy Central would probably not like a serious discussion about rape culture on the show that sits between "Jon Stewart Stares Incredulously at Republicans" and "30 Minutes of Internet Comedian Dick Jokes"

Now I want to see what this show would look like if Larry was following John Oliver on HBO, rather than Stewart on Comedy Central, because I think they'd probably have that conversation there.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

After seeing this Bill Cosby episode, I think this show has potential and a lot of room for growth. Larry Wilmore is the perfect host for a discussion panel.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I kind of like that each show seems to focus on a single topic. It's a lot easier to keep on track when you've only got ~15 minutes of air time for 5 people to be discussing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JohnSherman posted:

I don't know what TDS is going to do if the old guard like Mandvi and Jones leave. They're honestly head and shoulders above some of the newer people.

I stopped watching TDS regularly maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and it's so strange to watch it now and see all these new people who I can't even name. I do really like Jessica Williams, I feel like she's the only one of the cast who joined after 2006 who really clicks.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Cosby stuff was hit or miss - I thought the monologue had some good moments but the correspondent bit felt like one joke stretched into a weak TDS bit.

The correspondent bit has been the only part that fell flat for me so far, just because it's the segment that felt the most like it was just directly copying from Daily Show, with Wilmore taking on Jon Stewart's role in those bits, and the rest of Nightly Show has had its own feel.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ugh haven't had time to catch up on TDS but definitely going to watch tonight for the post :swoon:SOTU:swoon: reaction.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, who else switched off once they saw J Lo?

Seriously, I would buy a 20 year old salivating over J Lo ten years ago. Now it's just a joke.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

^^^^
Are you in the right thread? :confused:

Acquilae posted:

Ugh haven't had time to catch up on TDS but definitely going to watch tonight for the post :swoon:SOTU:swoon: reaction.

Anything they have to say can't match the amusement of rightwingers being all :qq: over that Obamaburn.
Don't sleep on Barry O.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was this really the SOTU response? The Onion couldn't have done a better parody.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

jerichojx posted:

Okay, who else switched off once they saw J Lo?

Seriously, I would buy a 20 year old salivating over J Lo ten years ago. Now it's just a joke.

If you're talking about last night's episode, then yeah. I laughed when Jon introduced the show saying J-Lo was the night's guest. You could sense the boredom in his eyes.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

:laffo: Rand Paul calling others elite

:laffo: x2 EVERYONE GETS TO DO A REBUTTAL

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 22, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Was this really the SOTU response? The Onion couldn't have done a better parody.

The GOP have been really consistently bad at the responses. They keep trying to find their next big name and the pressure kills them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

The GOP have been really consistently bad at the responses. They keep trying to find their next big name and the pressure kills them.

So, Romney will be the 2016 nominee again then?

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
I know a lot of people aren't fans of Hathaway, but I like her.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Jax-Guy1 posted:

I know a lot of people aren't fans of Hathaway, but I like her.

She's a cutie. :allears:

Also I think she just let a spoiler slip about her movie?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

So, Romney will be the 2016 nominee again then?

The names coming up most often have been Ernst, Ted Cruz, and Jeb Bush.

So probably yes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

A black person writing for The Blaze... so we're just gonna glaze right over that one, huh.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Two honkies people on this panel, boo

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Not sure how I feel about the audience chanting "Larry! Larry!", I would have expected producers to tell the audience not to do something like that to try and stave off at least some of the Colbert Report comparisons. (not that the shows are much alike)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

Two honkies people on this panel, boo

2 white guys and a black republican took out the token 'whitest panel possible for a show focused on minority issues and perspectives' slot early.

Good episode though.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

raditts posted:

A black person writing for The Blaze... so we're just gonna glaze right over that one, huh.
CNN has her on occasionally to represent the right in debates, and as soon as I saw that she was on this panel, a small part of my soul retched in agony.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Just watching the Anne Hathaway interview. I really like her and have never entirely understood the backlash against her, but holy poo poo, that was a hilarious interview.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Majorian posted:

Just watching the Anne Hathaway interview. I really like her and have never entirely understood the backlash against her, but holy poo poo, that was a hilarious interview.

Her covering her face because she felt bad for laughing so hard at saying her character's brother was in a coma was the cutest thing of 2015 so far, above babies getting into fights.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Fun fact about Ernst's whole "no welfare, use your dang bootstraps!" speech: Her "family farm" has taken in nearly half a million dollars in government subsidies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Generic American posted:

CNN has her on occasionally to represent the right in debates, and as soon as I saw that she was on this panel, a small part of my soul retched in agony.

God I hate this chick. I'm watching the episode right now and she has that infuriating smug College Republican attitude where you can tell she genuinely believes that her lovely opinion is shared by more people than it really is.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm all in on The Nightly Show. I really enjoy the panel format, and I like most of the guests he's had on in the three episodes we've got. Godfrey kind of sucked.

Also, I laughed at the small Bravest Warriors reference at the end.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Between John Oliver having what's pretty much now HBO's flagship comedy and current events show; and Larry Wilmore finding his groove with a monologue and panel; TDS alumni have given people even less excuses to keep watching Bill Maher.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 22, 2015

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Echo Chamber posted:

Between John Oliver having what's pretty much now HBO's flagship comedy and current events show; and Larry Wilmore finding his groove with a monologue and panel; TDS alumni have given people even less excuses to keep watching Bill Maher.

Bill Maher sucks. Honestly. I used to enjoy him but the show becomes more and more about him and less about real discussion every year. While watching the State of the Union address the other night, I remember thinking to myself "if the audience cheers any more frequently I'm going to start confusing this with Real Time."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

"I do not believe in equal pay for women" - a black woman

Let me guess, she's already rich as gently caress?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
That or already stepped on a lot of OTHER women for her spot.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I wouldn't mind if Larry cut his monologue short for more panel time. Seems like that's where all the interesting stuff is.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn

IRQ posted:

"I do not believe in equal pay for women" - a black woman

Let me guess, she's already rich as gently caress?

She said she wouldn't stand up if she was a GOP congresswoman, not that she doesn't believe in equal pay. I took it as an acknowledgement that the game trumps ideology: it doesnt matter what she may or may not believe, if everyone on her side is sitting down she's not gonna be the one person standing up and cheering, because that would be politically moronic. edit: this is probably just me projecting what my response would be onto her though

Hammy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 22, 2015

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hammy posted:

She said she wouldn't stand up if she was a GOP congresswoman, not that she doesn't believe in equal pay.

While this is true, from what I've seen of her on other shows, she probably also actually believes that the invisible hand of the free market will pay women what they deserve. She's a moron for believing that, but I do think she's a true believer.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Hammy posted:

She said she wouldn't stand up if she was a GOP congresswoman, not that she doesn't believe in equal pay. I took it as an acknowledgement that the game trumps ideology: it doesnt matter what she may or may not believe, if everyone on her side is sitting down she's not gonna be the one person standing up and cheering, because that would be politically moronic. edit: this is probably just me projecting what my response would be onto her though

I'd believe that more readily if her response to the booing wasn't "What I thought the point of this game was to tell the truth :smug:" so yeah true believer

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hammy posted:

You would think that if she believed that would get her Cristed, she might have the self-awareness to realize that maybe she is on the wrong side?

...No, of course not, she writes for the loving Blaze.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
If there's one place Al Qaeda could attack and people would cheer....

\/\/ Obama today did some interviews with youtube "celebrities" or some poo poo and was asked about it.

Naturally the idiots in the MSM where upset.

Winkie01 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh hey, someone on TV is finally paying attention to Boko Haram in Nigeria. It's kind of shameful that it has to be the Daily Show.

• Locked thread