Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And people say that cinema has nothing new to say about the human condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Vote Closed

Here are my favorite answers:

So now you're wondering what the answers are, eh?

Here they are:

1) Psychiatrist (who can read minds)
2) Horror-comedy
3)The plot is this: Rajini has just come back from America to Tamil. Meanwhile, his foster brother has just won a contract with the local government to build a new road (I think). But his rival construction companies want the contract and send men to beat up Rajini's foster brother's workers. However, Rajini, who was just in the neighborhood at the time, shows up and beats the snot out of the thugs. That's right, that scene is literally Rajini's introduction in the movie and one of the very first scenes period. We know nothing about him other than that he kicks rear end. Anyways, Rajini meets up with his foster brother and meets his wife, Ganga. We are then introduced to a whole mess of family politics because his foster brother was supposed to marry a different woman. I'm not going to go over the reasons why this was the case, but suffice to say this will end up in attempted murder. Anyways, Rajini, his foster brother, and Ganga move into a mansion, which is haunted by the ghost of a dancer (the titular Chandramukhi) who was killed along with her lover by a king 100 years ago. Weird things start happening and Ganga becomes possessed by Chandramukhi. Either that or she develops a split personality that thinks it's Chandramukhi. I honestly couldn't tell. Shenanigans ensue, and Chandramukhi (or the other personality) is expelled by being convinced that the king who killed her is dead. A happy ending ensues. Roll credits.

I remember watching the Hindi version of this with Akshay Kumar in it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhool_Bhulaiyaa

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

My plan right now is do game updates Monday through Friday (though this week it will be slow due to schoolwork), lessons on Saturday, and Sunday is reserved for Rajinikanth. I already have the clip for next Sunday, and it is truly magical.

I hope you have a nice solid buildup to Enthiran, gotta take these things slow.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Chapter Fifteen: The White Tiger Rides Again

Efser is much like his ancestor Hafez - cruel, ambitious, and a brilliant warrior. Unlike Hafez, Efser does a have a sense of justice, cruel as it might be. He is also known for being rather charitable when he's in a good mood.

Like many of the Nagar shahs, Efser focuses on practicing for war. The Nagars are in a precarious position, between the Seljuks and the Jamlids.

Efser immediately begins working on producing an heir to the throne. No one will respect a female ruler.

Well, Buddhists do. They are the only main religion in the game that doesn't care about female rulers

Meanwhile, Efser's brother, the former Shah of Delhi, has been ousted in a coup and a Pratihara now rules that realm.

A few years after Efser takes the throne, a son is born to him. Assad is nothing special right now, but in the next sixteen years he could be something.

Efser also focuses on fortifying his cities.

That turns out to be a good investment as shortly afterwords the Shia Caliph declares war on the Nagars.

The Caliph is a handsome, bright, and very powerful young man. He views Efser as an easy target, being new and untested.

This will prove to be a mistake. As much as Efser's vassals dislike him, they hate the infidels even more, and thousand rally to his cause, including his distant relative, the Maharaja of Kosala.

Meanwhile, in the Seljuk Empire, Pashtun rebels rise up in Afghanistan. They will be crushed, but their resistance is heartening.

A much greater concern for the Seljuks is the rebellion of a general, Mashad Bukharid. Mashad has gathered a massive army of army defectors and rebels, and plans to replace the corrupt Seljuk dynasty with his own.

Back in the Nagar Shahdom, Efser's army attacks a scouting party and annihilates it.

He later obliterates a force at Makran and when reinforcements arrive, they are quickly routed.

The Jamlids, having regrouped after their defeat at Makran, launch a second attack on the city. This attack is also repulsed with heavy losses to the Jamlids.

Another Pratihara hopeful leaves Sauvira with a small army, hoping to take back Rajputania from the Maharashtrans.

After centuries of rule, the Abbasids have finally been overthrown. The new Caliph, Aram, is not a descendent of the prophet, and the Seljuks proclaim that they shall liberate Jerusalem from his illegitimate rule.

While Aram is in for a nasty war, Efser is doing quite well. The Nagars have so devastated the Jamlid army that three different claimants to the Persian throne are attempting to take it from the Caliph.

Seeing that the continuing the war is pointless, the Caliph sues for peace. Efser also takes a massive war reparations payment from the Caliph as well.

Another distant relative accuses the Nagras (not the Nagars) of following a dangerous cult. Given the Nagra Satrap has been quite troublesome for Efser, Efser supports his accusation.

With a justification for the arrest of the Nagra Satrap, Efser throws the troublesome vassal into prison.

He also gives the Thakur of Nandana back to the Satrap of Gandhara.

Following a disagreement with the Buddhist monks, Efser turns to the Hindu clergy for religious support. Efser is planning a great conquest of the infidel lands, and while the followers of the Middle Way refuse to aid him, the Brahmins are quite happy to lend their support.

With the Shia Caliphate in chaos, Efser declares war for the Sistan Satrapy.

The war starts off rather poorly as typhoid fever devastates his army.

An exiled Habbari, nearing old age and having accomplished little, prepares an army to reclaim his grandfather's kingdom. Many other Islamic Sindhis join his cause, hoping to have a home of their own.

With the Jamlid army nowhere in sight, Efser methodically occupies the Sistan Satrapy.

Back at home, a Seljuk spy stirs up the local Muslims, telling them that they will be given considerable amounts of power under the Seljuks.

At last, the Jamlids show their face. All four thousand of them. While they have the terrain advantage, they are outnumbered 3 to 1.

It is here that Efser discovers his love of battle. He charges into the enemy ranks, hacking and slashing until his men are the only ones left on the field.

At this point Efser had 28 martial. If he gets Strong from the War WoL event chain, he would have 30 martial.

Sikander at long last makes his move for the Habbari Shahdom. Right now he's on the other side of India, so Efser has time to prepare.

In the old days of CKII, claimant hosts were terrifying and would topple entire countries. Now they're just a nuisance.

With the Jamlids dealt with for now, Efser turns his attention to the Sunni rebels. He corners the rebels on the coast of Debul.

The rebels are crushed and their leader executed.

As Efser returns to Persia, the Jamlids make one last attempt to stop the Nagars.

It is not enough. Defeated once again, the Caliph surrenders Sistan to Efser. Such a deed has not been done since Hafez, and there are many that whisper that Efser is Hafez reborn.

Efser, hearing word of the great trade cities of the Mediterranean, creates his own in Sistan.

Sikander is still on the loose, and Efser marches his army to fight him.

Efser leads the charge into Sikandar's flank, and his war cry fires up his entire army.

Down to only a few hundred men, Sikandar surrenders.

But Efser cannot rest yet. The Seljuks have come for Balochistan. It's time for them to learn why you don't anger the White Tiger.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

quote:

The Caliph... handsome...

Ehhhhhhh

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Kuno posted:

Ehhhhhhh

He's got the Attractive trait, so that's why I described him as handsome. The in-game portraits rarely reflect their traits.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 27, 2015

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kuno posted:

Ehhhhhhh

When you're Caliph you get to set the standards of beauty.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Kuno posted:

Ehhhhhhh

Dat 'stache tho...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, with a 28 Martial and mastery of the war cry, Efser is basically a hero from an ancient epic, yes?

Adoomsdaygap
Apr 20, 2013
I'm loving this LP. I wish I was this good at CK2.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
All hail the White Tiger! Death to the Persians! Death to the Seljuks! :black101:

I have to admit, I've never gotten strong from the War event chain, only the Hunting one. Is it common and I've just totally missed it?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

So, with a 28 Martial and mastery of the war cry, Efser is basically a hero from an ancient epic, yes?

Pretty much, he would be an unholy terror on the battlefield and men would be telling all kinds of outlandish stories of his incredible martial prowess, half of which would turn out to be understatements. If he manages to stay alive this Efser is the kind of leader that would be written down in myth and legend, modern day Afghans would probably still be telling stories about him.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

LupusAter posted:

Dat 'stache tho...

Way droopier than our moustache.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
What are the benefits of creating a republic? Wont they hate you more than regular vassals?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ToxicAcne posted:

What are the benefits of creating a republic? Wont they hate you more than regular vassals?

Mad tax revenues, especially since there isn't any competition this side of Africa.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So will the White Tiger set up defenses in one of the Kush passes, and wait for the Seljuk's to come to him, or will he seek them out?
please be the first option

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

So will the White Tiger set up defenses in one of the Kush passes, and wait for the Seljuk's to come to him, or will he seek them out?
please be the first option

Remember they're the Hindu Kush mountains. As Hindus, I think that is a bad omen for us. The White Tiger will obviously storm the Seljuk's capital and put them all to the sword.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Remember they're the Hindu Kush mountains. As Hindus, I think that is a bad omen for us. The White Tiger will obviously storm the Seljuk's capital and put them all to the sword.

Bah. They should be the Seljuk Kush mountains.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

So when you get a new ruler as a non-Christian title, does your coat of arms change? I noticed it changed when you went from Hindu to Buddhist (and that makes sense, though it didn't seem to change when you went back to Hindu), and it seems to change each time with a new ruler. Is that a new feature from one of the expansions/DLC?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Athaboros posted:

So when you get a new ruler as a non-Christian title, does your coat of arms change? I noticed it changed when you went from Hindu to Buddhist (and that makes sense, though it didn't seem to change when you went back to Hindu), and it seems to change each time with a new ruler. Is that a new feature from one of the expansions/DLC?

Nope, just a bug. Every time I load up a save there will be a new CoA.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Nope, just a bug. Every time I load up a save there will be a new CoA.

Weird. You'd think they'd be persistent across saves.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

That IS weird. Have you tried loving around with it (assuming you have customisation DLC) in the dynasty screen? I made a custom one and it was persistent throughout my play.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Chapter Sixteen: A Pile of Corpses

The Seljuks are not alone. While they have been weakened by years of fighting, they have bolstered their forces by forming an alliance with the Shia Persians. In exchange for acknowledging Ali as the successor to Mohammed, Shahanshah Hafez has taken a Jamlid princess for his bride. The alliance has one purpose - pushing the Nagars back to the Indus.

But Efser has over 21,000 troops at his command. One way or the other, this will be a bloodbath.

Fortunately, the Jamlids and the Seljuks are uncoordinated, and Efser manages to isolate and destroy a Jamlid army before the Seljuks can reinforce them. By the time the Seljuks arrive, the Jamlids are fleeing for their lives. Both armies are devastated.

The Jamlids and the Seljuks make a second attempt at defeating the Nagars, but this second attempt is repulsed, with heavy losses to the Muslims.

A second Seljuk army is sent to deal with the Nagars, but the Nagars have fortified themselves in the mountains.

With the terrain on their side, the Nagars are able to drive off the Seljuks.

After Efser liberates the occupied provinces of Sistan, he takes a large war reparations package from the Seljuks in exchange for not putting their cities to the flame.

A mere five months after the defeat of the Seljuks, the Jamlids take their shot at taking Sistan.

Efser's forces vastly outnumber the Jamlids, but the Jamlids have the terrain advantage.

Efser wipes out that army and deals with another one.

As this goes on, Caliph Aram, concerned about the power of the Byzantines, calls for a Jihad against them. This is the first test of the new generation of the mujaheddin.

Efser's bloodlust begins to fade. He no longer feels the joy of battle. He only feels the need to win.

And win he does, taking another reparations payment.

Flush with war funds, he turns his attention back to the Seljuks, launching a war to take back Kabulistan.

The Jamlids are busy, so the Seljuks call upon the the Tulunids for aid.

Kabul is quickly occupied by the Nagars. Throngs of Pashtun Buddhists greet their fellow followers of the Dharma.

The Seljuks send an army to deal with the Nagars, but once again they make the mistake of attacking the Nagars in the mountains.

The Seljuk remnant flees to Kabul, where the Nagars chase down and destroy them.

It's another victory for Efser.

The Seljuk Shahanshah, having been humiliated multiple times by Efser, declares to the Nagars that he shall take Kabulistan back.

After a few raids by the Nagars, the Shahanshah reconsiders. Efser has bigger problems to worry about than some Emperor he's beat up multiple times.

Bijjama Rashtrakuta is preparing an army to take the Nagar Shahdom - and he is part of the most powerful dynasty in India.

Throughout the Shahdom, the men tell stories of the great deeds of Efser, whom some have called the Sword of the Gods.

The day finally comes when Bijjama makes his move for the Nagar throne.

But Bijjama, for reasons known only to himself, splits his army in three. The first third is quickly wiped out near Uch.

The second third makes landfall at Sauvira. It is also destroyed.

The final third is caught nearby.

At the end, Efser drags Bijjama back in chains and strips him of his fortune.

Meanwhile, the Shia revolt in Sistan, wanting to rejoin the Caliphate.

The rebellion is quickly crushed.

To celebrate a year of peace, Efser holds the Diwali.

He gives his wife a necklace he pillaged from one of the Jamlid Caliph's summer homes.

When monkeys raid the festival, Efser starts grabbing them and breaking their necks. The monkeys quickly leave.

Efser's wife is quite pleased with her gift.

In general, it was a good feast.

He then turns his attention towards the child Maharani of Rajputania.

Her uncle immediately joins the war, but it will take time for him to arrive.

Efser quickly occupies one of the border province.

The battles are easy, but there are many. Simple attrition will take its toll on Efser's army.

He brings in some mercenaries, but this is draining his admittedly large coffers.

The war drags on and on.

The young Maharani calls in her big sister. This is what Efser was worried about. Bijjabe is one of the most powerful people in India and Efser would only fight her with superior numbers.

Fortunately, she has only 7,000 soldiers, which Efser can easily fight.

The battle is bloody, but there can only be one outcome.

Efser is lord of Rajputania.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Efser: Victor of a thousand fields.

Or something, I dunno. But these people certainly don't seem to learn that Efser doesn't lose.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Efser is lord of Rajputania.

:getin:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

But can you live long enough to change the succession law? That Delhi episode was a little embarrassing for the Nagars, yes?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Any chance you could put some more zoomed out maps in the updates? It's hard to see where borders are when you only get to look at a few provinces at a time.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Any chance you could put some more zoomed out maps in the updates? It's hard to see where borders are when you only get to look at a few provinces at a time.

I'll start working on that. Just know that we have a state of the world tomorrow (or Friday).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I'll start working on that. Just know that we have a state of the world tomorrow (or Friday).

Will this include religion and culture maps? Aside from the occasional mention of provinces converting to your culture I've been really curious about how this has been going.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

RZApublican posted:

Will this include religion and culture maps? Aside from the occasional mention of provinces converting to your culture I've been really curious about how this has been going.

Yep. Anything else you guys would like to see?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Yep. Anything else you guys would like to see?

Can we see the trade post map mode?

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Dynasty maps are also fun. Also, jumping in to say this has so far been a very interesting LP in an area of the map not typically displayed, so mad props.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

State of the World: 1066

Efser III, one of the mightiest Nagars since Hafez himself, stands triumphant after subjugating Rajputania.

I finally modded the game to say "Pashtun" instead of "Afghan".

The Nagar Shahdom is the largest it has ever been, stretching from Balochistan to Bihar. The entire Islamic world trembles with fear as the Nagars move farther into the Middle East.

The Somavamsis Raj is about to become a part of the Nagar collection of kingdoms, as the young queen is betrothed to a young Nagar.

The son of a royal bastard, Khadgodyama has seized the throne of Bengal and established his own dynasty. Time will tell if it will stick.

To his north lies the last Pala kingdom. But these Palas have rejected the Middle Way and embraced the Jainist Creed.

To the south of the Nagars are the Maharashtran Rashtrakutas, led by Queen Bijjabbe. She controls a fair amount of territory, but...

...her primary heir is a drooling imbecile.

Her brother, who got the other half of their father's kingdom, is a notorious drunk and party animal.

To their south are the Sri Lankan Peruncintevarids, who have gained control over much of Tamilakam. However, the Raja of Chera Nadu seeks Tamilakam himsef, and is at work pushing the Sri Lankans out.

Last of the Rashtrakutas is the Maharaja of Telingana, known throughout India as a womanizer and a heartbreaker.

Despite a few years of being ruled by a rogue general who usurped the throne, the Seljuks have returned to power, stronger than ever. Shahanshah Shahrokh has gathered a massive army, formed of raiders, mercenaries, zealots, and adventurers. He plans to end the humiliation of the Seljuks by the Nagars and bring the Pashtun Shahs to heel once and for all.

You see, after we made white peace with the last Seljuk emperor, the Seljuks had a decadence revolt and were overthrown (but not eliminated). But between 980 and 1100, the Seljuks will get 20,000 additional event troops, with a few more stacks added depending on the ruler's martial stats. With these troops, Shahrokh was able to force his way back on to the throne and I imagine he's pretty mad at the Nagars.

Of note is the revolt of Keykhosrau "the Devil" against his Ghaznavid master. One of remaining Nagars in Afghanistan, he is infamous for his cruelty and his practice of impaling his prisoners. As the Ghaznavids have lost a good amount of their territory to Efser, he now sees his chance to strike.

To his north lie the Yabguids, currently being occupied by the tiny tribe of Bashkiria. I don't even know.

Caliph Nard, the ruler of the Middle Eastern Shia, views his title as successor to the Prophet as little more than a tool. He honestly couldn't care less about spreading the true faith. But he knows that many of his enemies do, and so he fights.

"Caliph" Aram, the man who overthrew the Abbasids is faced with quite a few problems. The foremost being that his family members have become decadent with their newfound luxury and power. Another is that he claims to be the successor of Mohammed, but is not a Sayyid. Growing weaker everyday, he must hope that his sons will be able to stabilize the kingdom.

To his south lies the Hashimid Sultanate, currently in the process of crushing the East African Christians.

If you're wondering why his kingdom is a weird color, it's because it's a titular kingdom our Hashimid friend created from controlling so much territory. If you have the Charlemagne DLC, you can create titular kingdoms and empires if you meet the requirements, though creating a titular empire requires 8000 prestige

The other Islamic realm in Eastern Africa is the Ziyadid Emirate, ruled by Idris the Lionheart.

The King of Abyssinia, depressed at the loss of his territories, is barely holding on to the ones he has.

To their north lies the Tulunids, who continue to rule Egypt.

Defending Europe from Islamic invasion is the Byzantine Empire, currently attempting to free Antioch from infidel hands. Ruling the Empire is Empress Kyriake, daughter of Emperor Sininnios the Hammer. Kyriake is a hard working and just ruler, but her campaign against the Muslims is not going well.

The Byzantines have returned to an elective system, an echo of the distant Republic.

The Paulicians have split into a small group of petty fiefdoms, ripe for the Byzantines and Muslims to gobble up.

North of the Byzantines are the Bulgarians, ruled by Kocelj Bargarsko. They are currently at war with Hungary over what Hungary declares is it's rightful territory.

Radoslav is the king of Poland. On paper. In reality, he rules over a single province, his vassals having rebelled against him long ago.

Igor Dobrynich, long believed to be touched by the divine, has led his people to the White Christ of Constantinople. His tolerance of the pagan practices of the people and his skill with diplomacy has converted many of his vassals.

North of Galich is Rus, ruled by the Meryavids. King Sakua is currently in hiding after a few assassination attempts.

Finland is ruled by Elmar the Cruel, who overthrew the previous Af Munso king (the Af Munsos invaded in 987). He is now in the process of expelling all foreigners from Finland, starting with the Swedes. But the Lithuanians are attacking him from the south.

Speaking of the Swedes, Sweden is ruled by the Af Munsos, who took back the throne from the sons of Dyre. Ottarr has converted to Christianity, but tolerates much of his people's pagan practices. Even so, there are many who are unhappy with his conversion, and even now pagan rebels roam the northern part of the realm.

Like his neighbor in the east, the king of Norway has also converted to Christianity. He claims he received a vision from God, telling him that this would save his kingdom. However, he has yet to suppress the worship of the Old Gods.

But not all the sons of Odin have abandoned him. The Jutes still pillage and raid in his name, and their ships plague the seas of Europe.

Lithuania is ruled by the infamous Antavas, known as the Dragon throughout Eastern Europe. He murdered his nephew and imprisoned two of his relatives, including his brother. But none can deny that he has made Lithuania a force to be reckoned with.

Ireland is almost united under the Ua Cheinnselaigs, with only Desmond remaining independent.

Scotland, however, is in chaos. Farquhar, the Duke of Mann, has usurped the throne from the de St. Andrews. But the young king he kicked off is now fighting to get the throne back. Not only that, the Welsh are also fighting to establish one of their own on the Scottish throne.

Most of England is controlled by the Duke of Mercia. While many of the Norsemen have been forced off his shores, it is more difficult for him to push out the Swedes after their conversion.

Much of France is ruled by King Phillipe, perhaps the most powerful of the Karlings. On three sides he is attacked, but he is fighting them off.

To his west is the Fraticelli Duke of Brittany, who has formed an alliance with his fellow heretic...

...the Waldensian King of Aquitaine.

And to the northeast is the King of Frisia, who drove out the Swedes (who invaded the Kingdom of Frisia in the late 10th century).

Burgundy and Italy are split between the descendents of Errard the Careless, who ruled both those kingdoms a few generations ago.

Pomerania is ruled by Queen Dobroniega, beloved by her subjects for her fair, just, and diligent rule.

The Umayyads control most of Iberia and Mauritania. The Sultan, Amr, is a bit slow but a kindhearted man and continues the famous Umayyad tolerance - much to the irritation of the Pope.

The Idrisids having been wiped out, the mantle of the great African Shia power falls to Mali. But practices common to the Mande nobility are being seen as corrupt and decadent by the imams of Mali.

It's a rough world, but the Nagars are more than prepared to meet the challenge.

World Map

Culture Map (zoom in for clearer details)

Religion Map

Trade Map (Just Genoa and Sistan now)

Largest Armies

Highest Score

Most Prestige

Most Gold

Largest Realms

Highest Moral Authority

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Here's a game for you guys: can you find the Norman culture on the culture map in the last update?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Isn't it only under Shi'ite Islam that the Caliph has to be a descendant of Muhammad? Theologically speaking.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Looking at the trade map, what happened to Venice? Did they just get eaten by some other power or something? Its not possible for them to turn feudal, is it?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

To be fair, I think it is Shia Islam that requires you to be a Sayyid or Mirza but from what I could tell from my research most Caliphs (Sunni and Shia) claimed to be related to Mohammed anyways. Caliph Aram can be caliph without being a descendent of the Prophet, he just won't get as much respect. I mean, he's just some random general who overthrew the guys descended from Mohammed's uncle.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Looking at the trade map, what happened to Venice? Did they just get eaten by some other power or something? Its not possible for them to turn feudal, is it?

The Byzantines conquered it three generations ago. Venezia is now owned by the empress.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 30, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Here's a game for you guys: can you find the Norman culture on the culture map in the last update?

Is it in France? I thought Estonia for a moment, but it looks too dark.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Piggybacking off HGS, is it Chalons in France?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Piggybacking off HGS, is it Chalons in France?

It is indeed Chalons. A Norse duke inherited it and became Norman. Now it's ruled by an Occitan count. And here's the update, it's a little short.

Chapter Seventeen: The Fall of the White Tiger

Hoping to avoid the fiasco that was the Delhi coup, Efser gets to work expelling the local Rajput lords.

However, the first Satrap he deals with does not want to give up his title to a foreign conqueror.

Unfortunately for him, this isn't a request.

It's a command.

Efser's battle hardened troops make quick work of the rebels.

But the new Shahanshah of the Seljuk empire has come for Afghanistan - and he is determined to defeat Efser and restore the honor of his family.

And he might be able to pull it off. Thousands of elite Steppe horse archers have joined his cause, along with the other thousands of soldiers.

Efser quickly wraps up the war with the Satrap before dealing with the Seljuks.

The Seljuks, like the first time they fought the Nagars, quickly occupy the Afghan provinces.

Efser gathers his forces and waits near the Khyber Pass for a sign of weakness in the Seljuk forces.

When the Seljuks head south, Efser sends his forces to liberate the occupied provinces. But Afghanistan is struck with the worst winter it has seen in years, and thousands of Efser's men either desert or freeze.

Calling up the Followers of Arjuna to reinforce the army, Efser waits in the hills of Khyber Pass for the Seljuks to come to him.

Outnumbered, Efser's forces fight bravely but are ultimately routed. Efser himself has to be dragged off the battlefield by his men. But at the end of the day, the unthinkable has happened: the White Tiger has been defeated. Some say that the Seljuks used trickery to win. Others say the gods intervened to punish some sin of Efser's. Whatever the answer, the Seljuks are triumphant.

What won the day for the Seljuks was their horse archers. Half their army was horse archers. Had Efser got into melee, he might have been able to pull it off, but his army was massacred during the skirmish phase.

But Efser only agrees to surrender after his son Assad convinces him that it's better for him to conserve his forces for a later day.

The Seljuk Emperor is ecstatic when he receives the letter of surrender. He commissions a mosque in Kabul to mark his victory over the Tiger of Afghanistan and will tell every attractive woman within range how he did it.

6,000 of his elite warriors have perished, but that will be of no consequence to him. The Seljuks are on the march.

Efser returns to fixing his administration in Rajputania. This time it is a child Satrap who is getting cut down to size.

When the Satrap's regent balks, Efser sends in the army to sort things out.

Meanwhile, the Seljuks continue to conquer the Middle East. The Shia resist bravely, but like the Nagars they are quickly forced out of the land.

But Efser turns to his wife for comfort. At the very least he can be a good lover.

He continues to revoke titles as he sees fit.

Needing to clear his mind, Efser decides to go for a run.

As he thinks about it, one defeat isn't enough to cover a lifetime of victories. Afghanistan has fallen before, and one day he or his descendents will take it back. Hopefully there won't be another Steppe tribe to take it away from the Nagars.

In the end, what he needs is a good war, and Delhi looks to be a good target.

But as his army sets up camp just outside of Delhi, Efser passes away in his sleep.

Assad now leads the realm. With the Seljuks on the march, will he be able to keep Balochistan safe?

• Locked thread