Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Plot Summary (Courtesy of the official US site)
Binan is a city somewhere in Japan. The "Earth Defense Club" at Binan High School was a club that did absolutely nothing.

When club members Atsushi Kinugawa and En Yufuin were chilling out while soaking in the hot tub at the bathhouse Kurotamayu, a pink beast (Wombat) suddenly appeared out of thin air.

"I want to save this planet... can you please lend me your strength?"

The two feel the mood has been ruined by Wombat who talks to them in Japanese about how he wants to save The Earth with the power of love. Just then, the son of the bathhouse owner Yumoto Hakone shows up, and as soon as he sees Wombat, he chases it, screaming "Let me fluff you up!"

The next day, Kinugawa and Yufuin are caught by Wombat once again at school along with other club members Io Naruko and Ryo Zaou. Bracelets were clasped on the wrists of these four, along with Yumoto Hakone, who bumped into them after chasing Wombat, with a command that they must save The Earth.

"It's about love-making!" they hear as a bright light emanating from him the bracelet envelopes their entire bodies, and the five transform into "Battle Lovers," the heirs of the throne of love...

Why is this show so great?
It's directed by Shinji Takamatsu (Daily Lives of High School Boys, Gintama) and has his sense of humor in it.

Characters
Our Heroes
Yumoto Hakone: Kirameki Prince Battle Lover Scarlet
Voiced by Kazutomi Yamamoto

En Yufuin: Hirameki Prince Battle Lover Cerulean
Voiced by Yuichiro Umehara

Atsushi Kinugawa: Tsurameki Prince Battle Lover Epinard
Voiced by Kotaro Nishiyama

Io Naruko: Todoroki Prince Battle Lover Sulfur
Voiced by Yusuke Shirai

Ryu Zaou: Tokimeki Prince Battle Lover Vesta
Voiced by Toshiki Masuda

Wombat: Their Mascot.
Voiced by Mugihito

Their Antagonists
Kinshirou Kusatsu: Chevalier Orite
Voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya

Ibushi Arima: Chevalier Argent
Voiced by Jun Fukuyama

Akoya Gero: Chevalier Perlite
Voiced by Takuma Terashima

Zundar: The Evil Mascot
Voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto

Chikuwabu

Chikuwabu is a wheat-based Japanese food item that is frequently eaten as an ingredient in oden. Similar to the process used to make udon, dough is made by kneading flour with salt and water and it is them formed into a thick cylindrical shape with a hollow tube through its center and steamed. It is particularly popular as an ingredient in Tokyo, but it can generally be found across Japan in supermarkets and specialty stores. Chikuwabu is often confused with the fish-based chikuwa, as they are similar in shape and name and are both common ingredients in oden. However, unlike chikuwa, chikuwabu is rarely eaten on its own.

Chopsticks

Chopsticks are shaped pairs of equal length sticks that have been used as the traditional utensils of China, Vietnam, Korea and Japan for thousands of years. Chopsticks originated in ancient China and later spread to Vietnam, Korea and Japan. They can also be found in some areas of Tibet and Nepal that are close to Han Chinese populations. Chopsticks are smoothed and frequently tapered, and are commonly made of bamboo, plastic, wood, or stainless steel. They are less commonly made from porcelain, silver, ivory or jade. Chopsticks are held in the dominant hand, between the thumb and fingers, and used to pick up pieces of food.

Thoughts
This can either be hilarious if they play it for parody, or completely hilarious if they play it straight. Only time will tell.

How can I watch this?
Crunchyroll is simulcasting the show Tuesdays this season, starting on January 6th at 10:40 am PST.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This looks like the gayest thing ever and thus I feel compelled to watch it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
From the director of Gintama, Nichibros, and Ixion Saga DT. Those were hilarious so this probably will be too.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was uninterested, until I scrolled down to the wombat.

12 episode test.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm really excited, those outfits rock.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Let's see how ridiculous this ends up being, then.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought the premise for this was going to be incredibly dumb and funny but I didnt know it was being directed by the same guy that directed Gintama and Nichibros. Sign me the gently caress up, I'm in.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this will be the anime of the season, i've known it ever since i found about it like 2 days ago

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope that this show is very good and that all the boys kiss.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to watch at least one episode of this, hope it is as cute and silly as it appears to be.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

That was everything I could've wanted, pretty much.

I just wish all the transformation sequences were as long as Usagi-kun's.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Just roll with it until the credits, wow! Will be watching this as much as I laughed and smiled

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:stare:

This is easily the Twintails replacement I never knew I wanted. Except instead of toku its mahou shonen.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Fabulous and surprisingly enjoyable. I appreciated the scattershot dialogue.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This was everything I expected and more!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I was talking to someone about this show yesterday. He was convinced it was going to be bad while I was much more optimistic about it.

Turns out I was right, and then some. :cool:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is the best magical boys show.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is definitely a positive surprise

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This show has the exact right tone for what it's trying to do.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I'm pretty stoked for the 2nd episode.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, which one are you guys gonna claim as your husbando?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show's first episode introduced the five main characters, the mascot, the week's person in peril, and previewed the villains while still managing to feel breezy instead of overstuffed. And, in the end, it was actually about an oden ingredient. Bliss.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, who else had to Wikipedia chikuwabu?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WitchFetish posted:

Yumoto by process of elimination, as Atsushi and En clearly need each other and with Io making the money and Ryu getting the girls they are clearly also a couple.

Sakurazuka posted:

So, who else had to Wikipedia chikuwabu?

Everything I needed to know about chikuwabu I learned in this episode.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Long-haired villian is obvious husbando and I googled chikuwabu as soon as it came up p.much

Also guys next month you can make one of them your phone husbando too

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That was supremely silly.

The voice for the hedgehog was the cherry on top.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

WitchFetish posted:

Dibs on the blue one.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Fived and followed, I am in this wonderful trainwreck for the long haul.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

wow that was really gay

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the transformation sequence reminded me of The Galactic Pretty Boy and now I'm upset Star Driver wasn't very good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

That was supremely silly.

The voice for the hedgehog was the cherry on top.

His name is Thunder

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Updated the OP. Of the two shows I've watched so far, this is definitely AOTS.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I loved this ep. Definitely watching more. :allears:

Those outfits are fabulous.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Watched this with 3 friends. The laughter was palpable.

All on board the love train. My vote for show of the season.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Probably the gayest thing I've ever seen, and I watch hardcore gay orgies for my day job. Picked up.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Probably the gayest thing I've ever seen, and I watch hardcore gay orgies for my day job. Picked up.

Quite possibly the gayest thing ive ever seen, and i watch dudes screw every day. Not for my dayjob though. ( Just a hobby )

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

What job involves watching hardcore gay orgies?
I'd like to know that career path.

Also probably gayest thing I've ever seen, watching gay things is also my hobby.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

What job involves watching hardcore gay orgies?
I'd like to know that career path.

Politics in DC.

Digging the show so far

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This show is the combination of Daily Lives of High School Boys and a terrible Magical Girl series that I never knew I wanted.

I love that those Utena looking motherfuckers actually are the student council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Everything Burrito posted:

Dibs on the blue one.

I will fight you.

• Locked thread