Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Shithouse Dave posted:

Actually I edited and published stock market analysis for a little over a year until I realized I hated everything about finance and quit (in late 2007 lol). Sorry my forums posting isn't up to APA standards tho I guess.

shithouse dave you've made several errors in this post alone, please grab your MLA guidebook and turn to page fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I keep losing out to "internal candidate"

gently caress you guys, if you were just going to hire someone internally why did you waste my time for 3 interviews
Sometimes they already know who they're going to hire but they still have to post a job listing and interview some people due to regulations.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

GBS needs an APA MLA Chicago Style Grammar Rules Sticky, Lowtax WTF.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Secks Cauldron posted:

Sometimes they already know who they're going to hire but they still have to post a job listing and interview some people due to regulations.

and having been on the inside of this, its often just internal regulations or philosophy or whatever. even if they arent required to some companies have a policy to at least try and hire outside. if it comes to nepotism, tho, and it often does, thats how its going to go

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

nutranurse posted:

shithouse dave you've made several errors in this post alone, please grab your MLA guidebook and turn to page fart

i usually just put one of my awesome totally relevant and interesting forums posts on my resume and that does the trick. "rock out with your cock out" scored me a sweet job in the broadcast industry, for example. i expect my thread about my skeleton and poo to bring me great professional success.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

i usually just put one of my awesome totally relevant and interesting forums posts on my resume and that does the trick. "rock out with your cock out" scored me a sweet job in the broadcast industry, for example. i expect my thread about my skeleton and poo to bring me great professional success.

I tend to just send them a gif of me browsing the forums to show my prospective employers what i can bring to their company

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Secks Cauldron posted:

they're definitely not required to have 3 interviews with the same candidate and show them around the office to meet people, though. I get the dumb regulation/policy thing.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Actually I edited and published stock market analysis for a little over a year until I realized I hated everything about finance and quit (in late 2007 lol). Sorry my forums posting isn't up to APA standards tho I guess.

that sounds terrible and you are correct for gtfo

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I've never really understood how people do this. They'll say poo poo like "I've been unemployed for 6 months." How the gently caress are you eating? Where are you living? Do these people just have the greatest roommates ever? I doubt every one of them can be coming from a rich family.

It's doubly confusing when they're addicted to something like WoW. That poo poo costs money; how the hell do they pay for it?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Bible posted:

I've never really understood how people do this. They'll say poo poo like "I've been unemployed for 6 months." How the gently caress are you eating? Where are you living? Do these people just have the greatest roommates ever? I doubt every one of them can be coming from a rich family.

It's doubly confusing when they're addicted to something like WoW. That poo poo costs money; how the hell do they pay for it?

Me

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

The Bible posted:

how have you never heard of unemployment checks?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

MegaGatts posted:

It blows my mind this used to be how things worked. My grandfather got a job with the phone company by waltzing up to the office in the late 50s and asking for a job. Like they had no help wanted signs or classifieds or anything. He needed a job, knew how to use hand tools, so he went to the best paying place in the county for laborers and got hired on the spot.

bro i got a job like this in like 2004. It's mental how quickly things changed.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hmm yes this seems cool and credibl- OH GOD I AM making GBS threads I AM making GBS threads RIGHT NOW IT IS EVERYWHER*HUGGLLHLHLLUGHLLGUHUUHHHLUGH*

open container
Sep 16, 2008

The Bible posted:

:iiam:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

opus111 posted:

bro i got a job like this in like 2004. It's mental how quickly things changed.

My grandpa walked in and got a job as a traveling salesman without having a driver's license, a car, or a single experience sitting behind the wheel of one. He went on to successfully support his family off of that for the rest of his life.

60 years later that's how I got a part-time job at Mellow Mushroom, so I guess that's pretty similar.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"Nonemployed people" the way they're defining it is a pretty meaningless group of people. That can be anyone from a scholarship college student to a rich housewife.

"Unemployed people" is only a fraction of that group, but I guess we can go on pretending this is all about them.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My grandpa walked in and got a job as a traveling salesman without having a driver's license, a car, or a single experience sitting behind the wheel of one. He went on to successfully support his family off of that for the rest of his life.

60 years later that's how I got a part-time job at Mellow Mushroom, so I guess that's pretty similar.

you are supporting your family off of a part time job at the mellow mushroom??

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I like this guy Cody who literally slept twenty hours of the day.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I worked two shifts and then just never went back. It was really lovely.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

EngineerSean posted:

I like this guy Cody who literally slept twenty hours of the day.

Man if that isn't a sign of depression i dunno what is

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
been putting out resumes left and right without a single taker, perhaps I should change my objective from "to bang yr mom" to "to treat yr mom to a nice dinner and maybe a movie before banging"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When I was unemployed I spent Sundays and Wednesdays applying for jobs, the rest was waiting for call backs or doing interviews. All the rest of that time was watching The Wire drunk out of my mind on scotch, buying .99 games on Steam or Humble Bundle, or reading Russian lit.

It was winter, so my options were pretty limited.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Bible posted:

there's this thing called living paycheck to paycheck. Some people don't do that and that causes them to save money for just such a situation see

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

lol if you don't have the grit and determination to work 100 hour weeks creating your own startup to trick people into buying something they don't want or need

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

lol if you don't have the grit and determination to work 100 hour weeks creating your own startup to trick people into buying something they don't want or need

i just sold my Dogspotter app for seven billion dollars

Up Vote Your Dog at DogSpotter(c)

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

The Bible posted:

combination of mooching, family, but more importantly its wayyyyyy cheaper to live in america than some other country.You can make it stretch.

ive got like 5-6k in a rainy day fund and I could live at my current lifestyle (like a king) in my big 2 bdroom apartment eating and buying w/e I want for months.

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 7, 2015

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Philthy posted:

When I was unemployed I spent Sundays and Wednesdays applying for jobs, the rest was waiting for call backs or doing interviews. All the rest of that time was watching The Wire drunk out of my mind on scotch, buying .99 games on Steam or Humble Bundle, or reading Russian lit.

It was winter, so my options were pretty limited.

u did well. smd nytimes

btw i must ask what is a good nonemployed scotch for future reference?

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
What do employed people do?

Liek, do they come home at the end of the day and feel "good" about their life choices? Or did they forget to read Marx during their developmental stages? Seriously I don't get it elucidate me you loving drones

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mariana Horchata posted:

walgreen's

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I made a thread about living on welfare and someone responded with a pastebin of "uncle Remus' guide to getting gubmint money" and it was frankly depressing enough for me to reconsider this formerly appealing lifestyle.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mariana Horchata posted:

u did well. smd nytimes

Speyburn 10yr, you can usually find it on sale SOMEWHERE for $15.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
ah ok non-employed not unemployed. Makes sense.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
fun fact: statistically, the best predictor for who gets a job is how much the person doing the hiring likes them.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

jon joe posted:

fun fact: statistically, the best predictor for who gets a job is how much the person doing the hiring likes them.

yea i buck the trend and make sure to hire only huge Aholes I hate.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

jon joe posted:

If you gave me two applicants that were equal on paper I would hire the guy with the most debt/responsibilities.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas
Am female, use breasts to flirt with male teller (scouted previously, hard to find, even harder to find not-gay male teller) while revealing cleavage

Distract with lost earring, as male teller tries to pick it up whilst concealing a boner, I steal the money in the drawer, only $4,500.

Get arrested

Use pussypass to get free, write an erotic fan fiction book about my experiences and make millions based on my street cred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If you gave me two applicants that were equal on paper I would hire the guy with the most debt/responsibilities.

Statistically this person is most likely to steal from the company.

• Locked thread