Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Naerasa posted:

I used to get that bullshit about dropping off resumes in person too. You know what happened when I tried it? Everyone told me they don't take paper resumes. The only people who give that 'in person' advice are parents who still think its the 1970s.

if you tried to drop off a paper resume where i work theyd get creeped out and tell you to leave. if you were insistent at all theyd call the police

yea basically if you dont know someone you are hosed

the only other decent way to do it if you have no connections is a staffing firm, and if you dont have pretty useful skills and experience you are still hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

seriously tho if you are struggling to find any work imo the best way to do it is job agencies and staffing firms. if you can get an interview with them they will have better luck trying to place you than you will throwing yourself out randomly to places

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nothing wrong with that sentence but im from texas

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Secks Cauldron posted:

Sometimes they already know who they're going to hire but they still have to post a job listing and interview some people due to regulations.

and having been on the inside of this, its often just internal regulations or philosophy or whatever. even if they arent required to some companies have a policy to at least try and hire outside. if it comes to nepotism, tho, and it often does, thats how its going to go

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My grandpa walked in and got a job as a traveling salesman without having a driver's license, a car, or a single experience sitting behind the wheel of one. He went on to successfully support his family off of that for the rest of his life.

60 years later that's how I got a part-time job at Mellow Mushroom, so I guess that's pretty similar.

you are supporting your family off of a part time job at the mellow mushroom??

• Locked thread