Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

radiatinglines posted:

John Lennon was a complicated dude who was himself abused and admitted to the poo poo he did wrong and tried to change and advocated peace and his ex wife has forgiven him but I guess you can fantasize about beating him up if you want, he's loving dead

No he was an opportunist that said/did whatever would get him the most popularity. Just look through his career and see how his look/attitude/opinions changes with the times. Oh wow, he advocated peace and love in the midst of the hippie movement, big surprise. He was wealthy beyond our wildest dreams and flaunted that wealth openly by buying exorbitant things. But you know, imagine no possessions and stuff. His wife may have forgiven him (big whoop) but, I am pretty sure that his son from her never did, the one he ignored once he made it big.

He was a flake and manipulator and I would punch him right in his stupid rotting face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smash it Smash hit posted:

No he was an opportunist that said/did whatever would get him the most popularity. Just look through his career and see how his look/attitude/opinions changes with the times. Oh wow, he advocated peace and love in the midst of the hippie movement, big surprise. He was wealthy beyond our wildest dreams and flaunted that wealth openly by buying exorbitant things. But you know, imagine no possessions and stuff. His wife may have forgiven him (big whoop) but, I am pretty sure that his son from her never did, the one he ignored once he made it big.

He was a flake and manipulator and I would punch him right in his stupid rotting face.

U mad

Pretty sure he just said whatever he wanted all the time and left it up to bitter nerds like yourself to get all mad about it

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 7, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

radiatinglines posted:

U mad

Pretty sure he just said whatever he wanted all the time and left it up to bitter nerds like yourself to get all mad about it

lol okay

serbp
Nov 30, 2013
can we stop arguing for a second and just mention that ringo makes art in microsoft paint in his spare time

http://www.ringostarrart.com/starr_2005.htm

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

serbp posted:

can we stop arguing for a second and just mention that ringo makes art in microsoft paint in his spare time

http://www.ringostarrart.com/starr_2005.htm

uh. did he have a stroke or three?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I understand some people don't like pop, or even don't like the beatles out of pure spite or whatever. I don't care

but there are dudes in here saying poo poo like george martin did all their work for them, when he himself goes on about how creative and pioneering in the studio they were. or that Lennon was this machiavellian dude who was always out for popularity, when everyone who knew him highlights at every opportunity how transparent he was and how he didn't think of the consequences of the things he said when he said them. the dude said they were more popular than Jesus in 1960s america for chrissake

where do they pick this poo poo up? I'm convinced it's all complete envious fantasy

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

radiatinglines posted:

the dude said they were more popular than Jesus in 1960s america for chrissake

He didn't actually but agreed otherwise

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

BigBoss posted:

whahm whahm whahm whahm whahm whahm
wom womwom wom wom womwom wom
Simply having

a
wonderful Christmas time.

lmao

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

HollisBrown posted:

lol at anyone who thinks that any member of the Beatles themselves actually had anything to do with the production of their albums. George Martin was the Beatles and will go down as one of the greatest producers in history.

Also lol at anyone that thinks there is anything clever or revolutionary about their songwriting. There the whole "Penny Lane" thing is just an easy trick that any freshmen music major already knows. Writing harmony isn't very hard. The human brain will try REALLY hard to make things sound good, and there is always a way to analyze a chord change to make it make sense.

The Beatles wrote a few cool songs, but so did about 10,000 other groups between now and then, at least most of those bands could actually play those songs live, unlike the Beatles who stopped even trying after 1965.

lol shut the gently caress up dude like you would've thought of that cool little parallel 4ths harmony in 8 days a week post ur soundcloud bitch

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
the beatles were a pop/rock and roll musical group from the 1960s, becoming a cultural phenomenon before breaking up in 1969.

e: OR WERE THEY??????? http://thebeatlesneverexisted.com/

Doctor J Off fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 7, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

i know someone already posted it but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163_C5UVU-I
proof paul is actually dead

Why does Paul McCartney look like he has been possessed by Michael Jackson's soul

Just let your hair go grey, Paul, you aren't fooling anyone

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Paul can do whatever he wants because good or bad, it's going to be entertaining. He does look weird though.

Remember when Pete Townshend claimed that The Who's 'I Can See For Miles' was the biggest, dirtiest and loudest rock song they had ever written and Paul McCartney decided it was lame and then wrote 'Helter Skelter' in response?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just a reminder, John Lennon contributed to the decline of Harry Nilsson's health and voice, so super gently caress that guy

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
If you criticise the Beatles or state you find them mediocre, it is probably the most taboo thing you can do as a music fan. Why? Why is this?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Because they're the ultimate Baby Boomer sacred cow

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
because the people who criticize the beatles are usually musically illiterate and also whiny kids as has been stated many times itt

not liking their songs is one thing but uh music is math and saying ignorant poo poo about their composition and musicianship just makes you sound retarded you can with a really rudimentary understanding of music see why they're considered some of the best songwriters ever

ringo was kind of a balls drummer and george never really got good at guitar and john's voice was kinda weak and pitchy a lot and they have some truly lovely songs in their catalogue and uh john was a real piece of poo poo a lot of the time and paul had no sense of shame or dignity whatsoever sometimes wrt his "fruity little songs" as george called them and it's really hard to think of ways that the beatles were bad or unskilled or were not making interesting artistic choices for most of their career. uh, let it be is terrible imo.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ElGroucho posted:

Just a reminder, John Lennon contributed to the decline of Harry Nilsson's health and voice, so super gently caress that guy

nilsson was so self-destructive he'd have ended up ruining his voice eventually, with or without lennon and pussy cats

but yeah, john was a bad influence who never really grew up

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just want to add I like all the Beatles pop music poo poo way more than I like their super serious nonsense

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just a reminder, john lennon murdered sharon tate

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fanged wang posted:

because the people who criticize the beatles are usually musically illiterate and also whiny kids as has been stated many times itt

not liking their songs is one thing but uh music is math and saying ignorant poo poo about their composition and musicianship just makes you sound retarded you can with a really rudimentary understanding of music see why they're considered some of the best songwriters ever

ringo was kind of a balls drummer and george never really got good at guitar and john's voice was kinda weak and pitchy a lot and they have some truly lovely songs in their catalogue and uh john was a real piece of poo poo a lot of the time and paul had no sense of shame or dignity whatsoever sometimes wrt his "fruity little songs" as george called them and it's really hard to think of ways that the beatles were bad or unskilled or were not making interesting artistic choices for most of their career. uh, let it be is terrible imo.

i like you more and more every post :3:

though i would have said musically illiterate and whiny fat white retards trying to be too much of a contrarian human being because in their mind too many plebs like a popular thing but they don't fall for that nonsense because they're clever and smart!!! so it fills their non-existent void of a personality by making GBS threads out stupid poo poo like their taco bell dinner they ate last night

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

fanged wang posted:

Only a Beatles fan could argue that music is quantifiable and the Beatles can be mathematically proven to be the best. L loving OL

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

HollisBrown posted:

Only a Beatles fan could argue that music is quantifiable and the Beatles can be mathematically proven to be the best. L loving OL

still waiting on ur epic soundcloud bro show me the sick penny lane harmonies

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
While the Rolling Stones the Kinks and other British bands were doing American Rock and Roll better, sleazier and nastier than Americans, the Beatles were busy adding pennywhistles and references to fish and chips and the queen

gently caress that noise

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
the trick of the beatles composition and harmony especially the early stuff was to take accidentals and weird intervals and make them sound really natural and catchy a trick paul learned from the ragtime standards he grew up learning

i picked 8 days a week earlier because it's a famous example of weird as gently caress harmonies here is a good breakdown of why it is a crazy pop song

http://www.recmusicbeatles.com/public/files/awp/edaw.2.html

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

ElGroucho posted:

While the Rolling Stones the Kinks and other British bands were doing American Rock and Roll better, sleazier and nastier than Americans, the Beatles were busy adding pennywhistles and references to fish and chips and the queen

gently caress that noise

lol yes those scrawny british fops were doing rock and roll sleazier and nastier than the actual hard as gently caress black people who invented it wtf is wrong with yall

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

fanged wang posted:

the trick of the beatles composition and harmony especially the early stuff was to take accidentals and weird intervals and make them sound really natural and catchy a trick paul learned from the ragtime standards he grew up learning

i picked 8 days a week earlier because it's a famous example of weird as gently caress harmonies here is a good breakdown of why it is a crazy pop song

http://www.recmusicbeatles.com/public/files/awp/edaw.2.html

LOL if you think I am going to read some twat's thesis on a not that great pop song from 60 years ago

idiot

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

fanged wang posted:

But the thing is, the intelligence of the average person is quite low, and certainly lower than that of myself. Therefore, the more popular something is, the more likely it is stupid. The Beatles are very popular, and hence very stupid. I recommend you stay away from popular things in the future; it will make you appear more smart, as right now you appear to be quite loving retarded.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

ElGroucho posted:

LOL if you think I am going to read some twat's thesis on a not that great pop song from 60 years ago

idiot

hey i read your insanely stupid post about how mick jagger could outfuck muddy waters or whatever dont be throwing around the idiot word like you dont already have your pants on your head

look yall here is how it is when criticizing music say i dont like x thing it is not to my taste or some variation dont try to gently caress with the actual facts because afaict goons have no souls or genitals or inclination to artistic expression whatsoever and can only in a discussion of music say the opposite of what would be plainly true to a person with even the small amount of musical knowledge a fat and dumb child might get sleeping through middle school band this is what i have observed in this thread

fanged wang fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 7, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

i know someone already posted it but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163_C5UVU-I
proof paul is actually dead
:ughh:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Ringo was all about the feel and groove and over the years, I've grown to see his talent but yeah, he would not cut it as a studio drummer.

Either his timing is super awful or they didn't give a poo poo when they went in to track his parts.

People have said Ringo was always on point in the studio and it was the others screwing up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

You think some idiot fucker wrote and did all their music. You are a nazi

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Irradiation posted:

People have said Ringo was always on point in the studio and it was the others screwing up.

Lol ringo's solos

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

fanged wang posted:

still waiting on ur epic soundcloud bro show me the sick penny lane harmonies

I'm still waiting for your equations.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
Lol if you like the loving Beatles more than Beefheart.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
:sigh: i guess no one will ever be able to step to my knowledge of music composition or rock history it is lonely as the smartest man on the forums

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There's a marked difference between not liking the Beatles, which is fine, and denying their skill. It's akin to being a global warming denier. On the one side you have a huge number of people who know what they are talking about and on the other a bunch of idiots.

Don't be an idiot. It's fine that you don't like the Beatles. Just accept you don't understand why they are so great and move on. It's not them, it's you. And that's totally fine. But don't be an idiot.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

There's a marked difference between not liking me, which is fine, and denying my skill. It's akin to being a global warming denier. On the one side you have a huge number of people who know what they are talking about and on the other a bunch of idiots.

Don't be an idiot. It's fine that you don't like me. Just accept you don't understand why I am so great and move on. It's not me, it's you. And that's totally fine. But don't be an idiot.

I don't like you

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ethanol posted:

I don't like you

I guess that makes you an idiot. No offense.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Reer posted:

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. At such a time, rock critics will study their rock history and understand which artists accomplished which musical feat, and which simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for good reason. They could never figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). That phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Four'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of entire operas such as "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia"; not to mention the far greater British musicians who followed them in subsequent decades or the US musicians themselves who initially spearheaded what the Beatles merely later repackaged to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "Beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time reading these pages about such a trivial band

Can you even name more than like 3 of their songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

There's a marked difference between not liking the Beatles, which is fine, and denying their skill. It's akin to being a global warming denier. On the one side you have a huge number of people who know what they are talking about and on the other a bunch of idiots.

Don't be an idiot. It's fine that you don't like the Beatles. Just accept you don't understand why they are so great and move on. It's not them, it's you. And that's totally fine. But don't be an idiot.

So what you're saying is: It's okay to not like the Beatles but you still have to think they are the greatest band of all time. More awesome logic from Beatles fans.

• Locked thread