Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
george harrison was so dope rip in peperoni dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
I think they p good. Gr8 ballads. Mothers milk and blood sugar sex magik mad good

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

fanged wang posted:

i have proven conclusively that the level of composition shown by the beatles exceeds that of 90s boyband n sync and hope you are all very impressed

No you didn't and no they're not. They are an average band.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

I Might Be Adam posted:

Which limp bizkit member is likable?

everybody likes that guy with the monkey mask for some reason even though his solo stuff is bad he's the frusciante of limp bizkit

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

ethanol posted:

everybody goes through a stage in life where they realize the beatles is good

the key part of this is not sharing it with anybody and gently caress off

The key part is also growing out of it by discovering good bands.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

MegaGatts posted:

No you didn't and no they're not. They are an average band.

- he says, in a retarded sounding deaf guy voice

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

fanged wang posted:

- he says, in a retarded sounding deaf guy voice

So just cause I'm deaf I can't have opinions? loving abilist.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

fanged wang posted:

everybody likes that guy with the monkey mask for some reason even though his solo stuff is bad he's the frusciante of limp bizkit

Al Borland?

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

MegaGatts posted:

So just cause I'm deaf I can't have opinions? loving abilist.

sorry all i hear is fmhn fmuh fmuh duh!!!!

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

fanged wang posted:

sorry all i hear is fmhn fmuh fmuh duh!!!!

It's cool man. I'm enjoying the mediocre burns to go with your mediocre bands.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
it amazes me how many people disregard the beatles as bubblegum pop shitcrap as if the only songs they ever recorded were their pre 1965 stuff (which was still good, mind you)

like, do you even rubbersoul and later beatles dawg

also the beatles were pioneers in the recording studio, doing and discovering poo poo no one had done before, techniques used until this day and that was with only 4 and 8 track tape machines past the point that 16/24 tracks existed because britain didn't get that tech until much later than americans

also if you want a dope 100 dollar book check out Recording the Beatles

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It is too bad john lennon was such a lovely human being

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

thathonkey posted:

It is too bad john lennon was such a lovely human being

truth, that guy was a scummy fuckface and a wifebeater

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Damo posted:

it amazes me how many people disregard the beatles as bubblegum pop shitcrap as if the only songs they ever recorded were their pre 1965 stuff (which was still good, mind you)

like, do you even rubbersoul and later beatles dawg

also the beatles were pioneers in the recording studio, doing and discovering poo poo no one had done before, techniques used until this day and that was with only 4 and 8 track tape machines past the point that 16/24 tracks existed because britain didn't get that tech until much later than americans

also if you want a dope 100 dollar book check out Recording the Beatles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zddh5Vp-ApI

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Damo posted:

that was mostly george martin like john was being a crybaby one day unnhhhgghhh i hate double tracking vocals whine whine so george martin designed the first automatic doubler using a tape delay to shut him up

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

John Lennon is dead and yet Yoko still exists, screaming on stages while people pretend to tolerate her.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
someone post the yoko chuck berry vid

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJz9Dh5MsM

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Damo posted:

truth, that guy was a scummy fuckface and a wifebeater

She deserved it

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
all music is bad

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
lol at anyone who thinks that any member of the Beatles themselves actually had anything to do with the production of their albums. George Martin was the Beatles and will go down as one of the greatest producers in history.

Also lol at anyone that thinks there is anything clever or revolutionary about their songwriting. There the whole "Penny Lane" thing is just an easy trick that any freshmen music major already knows. Writing harmony isn't very hard. The human brain will try REALLY hard to make things sound good, and there is always a way to analyze a chord change to make it make sense.

The Beatles wrote a few cool songs, but so did about 10,000 other groups between now and then, at least most of those bands could actually play those songs live, unlike the Beatles who stopped even trying after 1965.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HollisBrown posted:

The human brain will try REALLY hard to make things sound good, and there is always a way to analyze a chord change to make it make sense.

Hahaha Jesus loving Christ, why aren't you a successful songwriter then?

Y'all sound like a bunch of 15 year old boys

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sir George Martin was indeed a genius but in every single interview he talks about how him and the lads worked together and listened to the mixes to try to come up with cool poo poo to do, he didn't do it on his own.

People who don't get why the beatles were so influential and amazing usually either have very niche tastes (prog metal wankers and the such), understand very little about music and artistry or have never actually listened to the beatles without letting their preconceived notions sully the experience.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sir George Martin was indeed a genius but in every single interview he talks about how him and the lads worked together and listened to the mixes to try to come up with cool poo poo to do, he didn't do it on his own.

People who don't get why the beatles were so influential and amazing usually either have very niche tastes (prog metal wankers and the such), understand very little about music and artistry or have never actually listened to the beatles without letting their preconceived notions sully the experience.

In my experience Beatles fans tend to be people who are unable to tell the difference between popular and good.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
congrats your experience is worthless

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smile big smile on my face.
Face is straining, muscles starting to ache.
Such a nice big smile. Pearly white teeth grinning.
Genuine, real smile, a rare thing, that near extinct moment dreamt about in your feverish Seroquel dreams.
I smile because of this. Because of what I will say.

"Paul McFartny."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Waltzing Along posted:

Phish are better than your band. Why? Because they can do what your band does and do it better. And yours. And yours. Oh yeah, and their own stuff that no one else can do.

as much as i'd like to see phish get through nocturnus' the key in its entirety they'd probably crap out halfway through the first song

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Dr Strangepants posted:

This is bullshit, Lennon was the worst.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pretty sure if John Lennon were alive and posting on SA you guys would think he was funny as poo poo

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
i'd be Sing his D on the reg

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

HollisBrown posted:

lol at anyone who thinks that any member of the Beatles themselves actually had anything to do with the production of their albums. George Martin was the Beatles and will go down as one of the greatest producers in history.

Also lol at anyone that thinks there is anything clever or revolutionary about their songwriting. There the whole "Penny Lane" thing is just an easy trick that any freshmen music major already knows. Writing harmony isn't very hard. The human brain will try REALLY hard to make things sound good, and there is always a way to analyze a chord change to make it make sense.

The Beatles wrote a few cool songs, but so did about 10,000 other groups between now and then, at least most of those bands could actually play those songs live, unlike the Beatles who stopped even trying after 1965.

what in the gently caress are you talking about? you don't know poo poo of what you so confidently think you know about the beatles. george martin was not the sole catalyst of the beatles' creativity in the studio when it came to recording techniques. he was surely a factor and respectful and helpful in achieving the beatles' vision of their evolving sound, but saying the beatles themselves had nothing to do with it is completely loving false and you just sound more and more retarded the more you talk about the beatles. you act as if george martin had never worked with the beatles he would have explored the same poo poo in the studio without them as if the beatles weren't even a factor, which is just complete bullshit. so, just stop talking about the beatles and music in general until you have something remotely accurate to say

jesus christ i mean generally people who poo poo on the beatles are insufferable wanna be against the grain edgy care hard about poo poo they apparently abhor gently caress faces but you are taking it to the next level with the uniformly uninformed bullcrap you are spewing as if gospel, friend

edit: also Geoff Emerick was their actual, you know, audio engineer for the most part, let's not forget about him. george martin being the producer didn't have as much impact on the nuts and bolts engineering process as you seem to think he did

Damo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 7, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

radiatinglines posted:

pretty sure if John Lennon were alive and posting on SA you guys would think he was funny as poo poo

I would fight the poo poo out of that piece of worthless gently caress.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Looks like someone got their info on John Lennon from Facebook chain like pages

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
they did good stuff, they weren't the only band doing good stuff at the time

however they were this like loving insane marketing success so everyone knows about them and thinks they're great

additionally a lot of of their earlier stuff was kinda just rote pop music- not a bad thing but there ya are

I am still trying to figure out how they are LITERALLY JUST ONE DIRECTION GUYS I SWEAR

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

radiatinglines posted:

Looks like someone got their info on John Lennon from Facebook chain like pages

Looks like someone is a domestic abuse apologist. Whatever, diff'rnt strokes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

John Lennon was a complicated dude who was himself abused and admitted to the poo poo he did wrong and tried to change and advocated peace and his ex wife has forgiven him but I guess you can fantasize about beating him up if you want, he's loving dead

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
George Martin is an overrated producer who spent a good chunk of the 70s helping make America an even more milquetoast folk rock band. I'm pretty sure he was told to retire to stop embarrassing the Beatles' ~*legacy*~

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 7, 2015

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
seriously, george martin was an old and traditional dude already, and certainly by the evolving rock music world's standards, when he took on beatles. he was like their loving dad and a taskmaster that they had to literally hide their weed from. saying he was the cause of all the experimentation and lsd fueled music styles the beatles created in the studio is loving laughable.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
he kinda did write "I'm the walrus" though, he was a pretty hip gent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
for sure, in some ways, and he certainly warmed up to their poo poo over time but his role wasn't near what the dumb and stubbornly misinformed op is describing

• Locked thread