Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
If you had $350,000 in cash, what would you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
Put it all on black.

Serious answer: I would pay off my student loan, have ~$10k in my bank accounts, and the remaining >300k would go into the stock market.

BouncingBuckyBalls fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 6, 2015

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

No student loans, frugal living

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This entirely depends on existing assets(and what kind), existing debts (and what kind), monthly expenses, and monthly income.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Put it in a 60/40 fund with my other $350,000 and start working half time.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Spend $120k or so on a house. Invest the rest into mutual funds, keep working where I'm at now but retire WAY earlier than I was planning on.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'd put $100k in a trust for my daughter's college, then build my dream house.

I have modest dreams, basically I want a small, 1200-1500 sq foot house with a huge shop for working on and storing up to maybe 6 cars. Should be around $250k. I'd probably spend about $100k on the down payment and finance $150k to keep the rest of the cash in some combination of investment/savings.

Which I would quickly blow on more cars. :(

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Put it in a 60/40 fund with my other $350,000 and start working half time.

I've got a mortgage with $250k left, so I'd pay that off that first if I ever got a glut of cash like that, but if I didn't this would basically be my answer.

I'd probably retire from my 9-5 and be a stay at home dad. My wife's a workaholic and high on the chain at the small company she works at, so I'd just need enough to supplement her income.

I'm working on starting a small side business, and if I had cash like that I'd feel completely confident throwing myself into it, even while we were having a baby.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would probably deposit it in a bank before I got robbed or found a strip club.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DJCobol posted:

Spend $120k or so on a house. Invest the rest into mutual funds, keep working where I'm at now but retire WAY earlier than I was planning on.
This. I like my job a lot, and this isn't an FI amount of money.

Or keep it in the backseat of my car and hope it doesn't get impounded.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

put it in the bunny

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Be debt free and have about 50k to invest.

That our one hell of a world tour (this would not happen).

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

TwoThree chicks at the same time

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
60% hookers 40% blow

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

User Error posted:

60% hookers 40% blow
Diversification! I like it. lol.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Three chicks and a dude. It isn't gay if you pay for it.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
1. Make sure I have enough for my student loans.
2. Pay off my dad's mortgage.
3. Buy my mom a small house and new car.

Or, you know, hookers and blow.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Like, physically, in paper bills? Drop it in a safe deposit box and feed it a few grand at a time into a dozen different shell corporations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
buy more stocks, and blink

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Bitcoin mining facility.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

VTSAX, all of it

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Invest for income to supplement rent and travel. Otherwise, continue working and saving as normal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I would buy $350k worth of gasoline from my local gas station and then wait a couple months/years and sell it to people on the side of the road

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm boring, but this would be awesome to me.

1. Pay off house ~$117k ($233k left)
2. Replace our 2nd car and truck with a nicer truck that we could all fit in ~$25k ($208k left)
3. Home renovations, at least a new kitchen and deck ~$30k ($178k left)
4. Fund my kids 529 plans ~$40k ($138k left)
5. Invest ~$100k ($38k left)
6. Take a nice vacation ~$10k ($28k left)
7. Buy some toys (new atv, possibly try to find some land or cabin to put a down payment on)

I'd still keep my current job, my wife would probably want to quit hers but with no mortgage it wouldn't be a huge burden.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I would buy $350k worth of gasoline from my local gas station and then wait a couple months/years and sell it to people on the side of the road

This would have a worse ROI then the strippers and hard living route FWIW

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
My 401k allows after tax contributions and in service Roth conversions so I would probably use it to fill the remaining ~30k/yr space that's left after my pretax & employer contributions. This will take a while so in the meantime it would sit in a taxable account, probably entirely in a TSM index.

I think I'd also take a month off work and hit up Europe or Asia. Life is short.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I was curious there are some website that offer a scheme like this. I don't think I would trust them to ever pay you back though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
For what I would do in my own situation:

-Pay off condo (118k); I'd immediately sell it for what I could and put the cash into savings (~85k-95k)
-Take two really nice vacations overseas (17k)...I've been to several places in Europe but I've never been anywhere in Oceania, Asia, Africa or South America.
-Invest 200k into a taxable account
-Buy about 3k worth of new clothes including a couple custom suits
-Dump the last 9k into lending club for fun.

I'd keep my job, but with the first line item here I'd be able to go back to maxing my 401k and it'd move up my timeline for retiring by at least 15 years. I'd be able to seriously consider it in ten years since I'd be maxing 401k, IRA, and Roth from here on out with a pretty sizable taxable account to boot. And with over 100k in cash savings(more than two years worth of expenses) I would feel barely any anxiety about my career at all which would be nice.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 7, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Surly Long Haul Trucker, Ortleib bags. You wouldn't see me again for twenty years.

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

I'm assuming the cash is a bonus or some other taxable income, if not, the portion to taxes would just goto long term saving and investing.

15% given to charities/churches/shelters/non profits
35% taxed by state/federal government

Leaves about half of that which is $175k

I would pay off my rental property of 140k which would make me completely debt free (mortgage has already been paid off).

I would then put 10k in investments and the other 25k would buy a new minivan for my wife since child number three is on the way.

Man $350,000 doesn't go far after you pay taxes and give to charity, but I always give first and foremost when I receive a windfall.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is after tax you twit. This is based on every response so far.

This exercise kind of makes me sad though as it will never come true. If you consider it a bonus my max bonus is about $16K right now (and that will be taxed).

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

All things being how they are now…

$15k blow money
$15k awesome vacation or two
$10k to pay off my car
$100k investing
$190k buy a house
$20k furnishings for said house

That'd set me up pretty nicely for the rest of my life. Too bad it will never happen!

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

SpclKen posted:

15% given to charities/churches/shelters/non profits

Man $350,000 doesn't go far after you pay taxes and give to charity, but I always give first and foremost when I receive a windfall.

:confused: This is the worst response yet. You have a third kid on the way and you'd literally take a piss with $52,000? poo poo, my dad is bad with money but at least he'd buy a big truck or something marginally useful. I'm not religious so I don't get the whole tithing thing, but either way that's a lot of money to just blindly give to a "charity". At least put the $50k into a stock/dividend fund and "give" the profits to charity without touching the principal. That way you aren't loving over your own family to feel good about writing your church a check.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

Like the responses so far.

Just to clarify, 350k after taxes.

You have whatever freedom you want with it with whatever goals you have.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wonder if that's enough to start a charity? Something useful but low overhead like an internet-only grant-making outfit that functions like an endowment.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Change it in for 35 million pennies and then go to the top of the Empire State Building and make it rain.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd take 50k of it to pay off my house and replace my car and put the rest away for retirement or emergencies. Since my job is mostly funded by state & federal grants my job security is pretty shaky since the money could evaporate at any time depending on government whim, so having a chunk of money like that socked away would go a long way toward peace of mind. I live in a low cost of living area and with a paid-off house could live a long time on a fairly minimal income.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was going to say Rolls Royce, but that's not enough so gently caress I don't even want it then.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities.

Or this

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
whoops

• Locked thread