Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Crosspeice posted:

Heave seems to be saying "What?" at all the crazy things in the game. That'll be the only thing he says come certain episodes.

Also, is it Law-rah, or Lah-rah? I think we all know that the American Kalon is using the incorrect pronunciation, because I her name is Lara, not Laura.

Yes I am one of those people.

I wonder if she'll ever hang out with a Graham and a Craig...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The bats in TR Classic shall henceforth be known as Peruvallachian Ohshit Bats.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Psh, all the beating ends up leading to *that* moment towards the end which makes it all worthwhile.

"I have a grenade launcher and I'm coming to kill *all of you*!"

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

DeathChicken posted:

Psh, all the beating ends up leading to *that* moment towards the end which makes it all worthwhile.

This is the best moment in the game and I can't wait for Heave's reaction to it. :allears:

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Fat Samurai posted:

I think that Lara gets better at avoiding dumb falls as the game goes on, either that or I became completely insensitive to her screams. Maybe the developers tried to show Lara's progress as an adventurer by beating her less often :shrug:

This. The game would be much better without the constant hammering Lara gets through, or at least if they made it more Uncharted (i.e. cartoon)-like. Lara is female-Nathan anyway. But no, they wanted to have both "gritty realism" and "punching our main character is fun", and the game suffers for it.

There has to be a more suitable middle ground between Uncharted and Tomb Raider. The problem I had with this game is that the developers seemed to think that violence equals serious storytelling. They wanted to show the transformation from wet-behind-the-ears archeology student to globe-trotting, back-flipping, eventually-dinosaur-killing raider of tombs. However the game skips the most important part: convalescence. The game never really shows how the injuries impact Lara's progress or how she struggles to overcome them. The player would be able to understand the transformation better if her struggling to survive an injury had been more present. Instead, Lara gets rebar through the kidney, in a shot specifically shown to display the menace of the piercing tool, and then goes about her adventure.

As for the Uncharted sense of injury: I say 'middle ground' because some of the beatings Drake takes are too cartoonish, especially in 3. In Uc3, just about every time Drake transitions from one scene to the next, he gets injured. He falls/slips from high elevations to prevent egress so many times. This is couple with every chase segment having a stunt that should end the chase due to broken bone. I remember (I believe it is in Uc3) a part where Drake jumps through a window, lands on a table, and completely shatters the table. He then gets up and continues on his way. Where as TR wanted gritty realism and got absurd, Uc goes for comedy and gets a tired running joke.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Crigit posted:

I had the opposite problem. That one injury stuck in my craw the entire game and made it impossible for me to take anything else that happened to her seriously. Sorry game, if you are going to make the very first thing that happens to the heroine a blatantly fatal injury that she just shrugs off in a few seconds I'm not going to buy that she's suffering when she falls off a cliff or something.

The game has already forgotten about that injury if it thinks Lara can twist her torso enough to pry open doors. Even if the rebar missed her intestines it definitely pierced the muscles that allow you to apply lateral force along the spine.

Actually, though, my biggest question is, "What are dreamcatchers, a Great Lakes Native American tradition, doing on a Pacific island?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I never noticed those dreamcatchers. Were they in the original or are they an extra thing added for the rerelease?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
They were in the original, although I spotted none of them on my first playthrough.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Actually, though, my biggest question is, "What are dreamcatchers, a Great Lakes Native American tradition, doing on a Pacific island?"

Since the Navajo were able to talk in code and thwart the Japanese, maybe the Japanese were planning to confuse the Navajo by putting up Native American trinkets?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Those dreamcatchers are an achievement thing. I always thought they were put up by the cultists, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Since the Navajo were able to talk in code and thwart the Japanese, maybe the Japanese were planning to confuse the Navajo by putting up Native American trinkets?

Except that the Navajo are from the American Southwest and dreamcatchers didn't become generically "Native American" until the 60's or so. If there are cultists, I suppose that's a possibility, but...why?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Those dreamcatchers are an achievement thing. I always thought they were put up by the cultists, though.

Pretty sure they are put up by the cultists, yeah. Also the further along in this game you go the more hosed up you realize the island gets.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Except that the Navajo are from the American Southwest and dreamcatchers didn't become generically "Native American" until the 60's or so. If there are cultists, I suppose that's a possibility, but...why?

At this point in the game I'm just going to assume the devs really didn't give enough of a poo poo to actually research it. They just knew dreamcatchers were a generic native thing, so gently caress it, throw that poo poo in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In TR Classic, is the start of that cutscene at "Los Alamos" going to be expanded on later, or should I complain now about how no nukes were ever set off at LA and that subtitle should either say White Sands or Nevada Test Site?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm going to give the developers the benefit of the doubt simply because I don't think dreamcatchers are usually made with skulls. They were probably made by the cultists.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Eh, who says dreamcatchers are an exclusively native american thing anyway? Pacific islanders are so diverse culturally that there's little to no reason why some tribe on a random island couldn't have come up with the same or similar concept in an example of parallel evolution. Unless the real issue here is cultural appropriation by the syncretic cultists of the island, 'cos I mean stealing gift shop trinkets from another civilisation completely overshadows the other horrible things they do over the course of the game, right?

EDIT: Tried to look like less of a sarcastic dick.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 10, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Those aren't really dream catchers they are decorated skulls, I mean how are you supposed to catch bad dreams with a skull in the way?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching that makes me glad I played the Anniversary edition and not this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Those aren't really dream catchers they are decorated skulls, I mean how are you supposed to catch bad dreams with a skull in the way?

Dreams go into your head. Distract the bad dreams with a decoy head. This is science.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Which is either where Lara becomes a true survivor or where she suffers a psychotic break, depending on your reading of the scene.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Which is either where Lara becomes a true survivor or where she suffers a psychotic break, depending on your reading of the scene.

What's stopping that scene from being both? :v:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Both of you forget the best and simultaneously most disappointing at the very end: dual pistols. As much as we got classic Lara so far, and hopefully it shows up more in Electric Raidaloo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sel Nar posted:

What's stopping that scene from being both? :v:

There's only a trophy for one them:v:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Holey moley, it's Tuesday again. That means we get another dose of Lara getting the poo poo beat out of her. Also a shitload of wolves. Also ragdoll physics.

Episode 2 - Murderstealth™ ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Woah now, let's not forget almost two decades ago Lara. What's she up to? Bears and precision platforming? Neat! (it is not neat)

Episode 2 - Jumping ... Youtube ... Polsy

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 13, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's cool you're playing the original.

I first played this when it was released on the PC with my awesome 3DFX Voodoo card!!

check this out! Smooth and it could go up to like 800x600 and maybe even 1024 x 768, can't quite remember!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't know if this has been asked before but are you going to blind run TR 2 and/or 3? I remember someone was playing through all three games but the LP got abandoned by the the third game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Where does the wolves come from ? Turns out Mathias and his cult loving breeds them

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I don't know if this has been asked before but are you going to blind run TR 2 and/or 3? I remember someone was playing through all three games but the LP got abandoned by the the third game.

Probably not, but if I manage to finish Classic before 2013 (pretty likely), I'll probably do an episode or two taking a look at Anniversary.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You know, wolves really are pretty big animals. Most dog breeds are significantly smaller than a full-blooded wolf.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Despite the how creepy the guy is and despite the weird stuff they said before the game came out, all that happens if you fail that QTE is Lara gets choked to death.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

You know, wolves really are pretty big animals. Most dog breeds are significantly smaller than a full-blooded wolf.

Yes, but as you'll see next episode, these wolves are big, even for wolves.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

kalonZombie posted:

Also the really loving big wolves would really only live way in in the norths of Canada and Russia, and such, as wolves that live at lower latitudes are much smaller even among the same species. Unless these were a fresh shipment of wolves from the NWT that some ended up on a south pacific island.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I've only played one of the "classic" Tomb Raider games once, and that was a really long time ago, with minimal progress made, but I vaguely remember a way to sidestep, that might help you out with those switches. If it's even a thing in 1. Look at the controls and see if it is.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Nihilarian posted:

Despite the how creepy the guy is and despite the weird stuff they said before the game came out, all that happens if you fail that QTE is Lara gets choked to death.

I remember it being a neck snapping, a really awkward neck snapping they obviously edited in after the media hubbub.

I was using a PS3 controller on PC so I saw almost every quicktime death.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I hate when characters say obviously prophetic things, like Lara's line about becoming a murderer.

But murder, a like stomach wound, is easily shrugged off.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
<Laura's breathing quickens as a wolf snarls nearby>

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I've only played one of the "classic" Tomb Raider games once, and that was a really long time ago, with minimal progress made, but I vaguely remember a way to sidestep, that might help you out with those switches. If it's even a thing in 1. Look at the controls and see if it is.

I had to stop watching the first video part way through, there's something in my psychology that makes it torture to watch someone struggle to do something. Of course, I only ever played the games on computer, so saying, "hey, hold the shift key to safely walk without falling off ledges and to sidestep" doesn't help someone using a controller.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

kalonZombie posted:

So they're dire wolves? :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You only ever feel bad about the first person you kill, the next ten thousand after that are pretty simple really.

And again, it's Lara, not Laura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just to let you know, this came out before Super Mario 64 in Europe and in North America Mario came out only two months before.

This is like one of the original 3D platforms with very little, exceptionally little, in the way of precursors to learn from prior to it's release.

• Locked thread