Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Complaints about the game aside, I love the pirates losing their poo poo when you get a bigger gun. It makes for a good Level Up Moment.

Did the AI also get more cautious? They seemed to be running for cover more. I might be crazy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
To be fair, Lara's already had a pretty incredible healing factor. It's just that beforehand it meant using disposable medkits found in ancient ruins untouched for centuries to heal large chunks of herself eaten by dinosaurs.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

obviously the rats are dire too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
People of the Croft family don't get frostbite.

Frost gets Croftbite.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Capybara are way bigger, Heave. Like 150 pounds. A capybara is just straight up the size of some random-rear end person. The ROUSes were too small.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Capybaras are indeed huge, up there with some of the larger dog breeds. They're also chill as gently caress. :beerpal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AW5W9HuB1M

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I would have a pet capybara. They just look like really big guinea pigs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The thread this post is from has all your capybara needs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683290#post438050463

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Complaints about the game aside, I love the pirates losing their poo poo when you get a bigger gun. It makes for a good Level Up Moment.
During the game you slowly realize that the pirates are loving terrified of you. It's great!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Alhazred posted:

During the game you slowly realize that the pirates are loving terrified of you. It's great!

You'd think they would negotiate some kind of truce after a while, though. Preferably before Lara goes off the deep end.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Octarine Dream posted:

I vaguely remember someone railing against some game in the series "destroying the tone" of Tomb Raider. Maybe not the 2013 one, but one of the games everyone pretends didn't happen.

But then you look back to the first game, which had dinosaurs...

Anyone curious about the game's development should read the Final Hours of Tomb Raider by Geoff Keighley. The game underwent two reboots from a Team Ico influenced game (minor gameplay spoilers in cut content video) to survival horror before settling on the third-person shooter with an Arkham Asylum type overworld we have now.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You'd think they would negotiate some kind of truce after a while, though. Preferably before Lara goes off the deep end.

I think they've kinda lost touch with how to do that, since they've been relying on Mathias for all the thinking and talking to people stuff. You've been raping and pillaging for so long, you start to forget how to do anything else. Action Bad Guys, am I right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ar one point they actual try to do that because they are attacked by both undead samurais and Lara,. Of course they gently caress it up because they are completely inept and Lara is knee deep in psychosis at that point

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 31, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

You can't make a truce with Death.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Fire wizards do not know peace. Fire wizards only know the flames of war.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Today, Heave breaks down at several points in the video. It was a fun record.

Episode 5 - Breaking Heave ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 5, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I get it now; Lara must be made of steel beams because the jetfuel she's inevitably covered by didn't do anything to her.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Lara Croft: Murder Goddess, Bane of Heavenator

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Actually, smilies were invented in order to indicate ironic statements.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Actually, smilies were invented in order to indicate ironic statements.

Next you'll say # was used for numbers rather than hashtags. :rolleye:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, with an entire island to build on, what lunatic decides to build their home halfway up a cliff?

Also, this game's cloth is terrific stuff. In the first video, when you look out over all the wrecks on the coastline, there's some old wooden boat which is probably 500 years old and rotted down to its frame, but it still has half its sails. No wonder Lara can swing on fifty year old banners and not have them crumble to dust.

Is Lara really so rare a name in the US? I wonder if it only exists in Commonwealth countries, because not only have I known three Laras in my life, I used to live near a town named Lara.

EDIT: It might only be in Australia, actually. A quick google tells me Australia is pretty much the only country where Lara has ever cracked the top 50 for most popular girl's name.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 5, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Lara is pretty rare over here. Usually it's Laura.

So yeah, update time.

Episode 6 - Maybe it's part of the plane ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Next week I swear I'll make progress in Classic if it kills me.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
"Somebody brought up in the thread a theory that Lara is just so full of diseases that nothing else can hurt her."
Hey, something I wrote got mentioned in a video!

I like how the guards' casual conversations are actually just big, missable exposition dumps.

And Lara, honey, there are MUCH safer ways to get a hysterectomy...

gregory fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 10, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Lara operates on the p90x idea of injury confusion, get injured in so many ways that her body doesn't know just what to die to.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lara is Bruce Willis and this is Tomb Hard with a Vengeance.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
The supply sgt in me is going to show, NSN on that first aid is legit. The level of research in this game...

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Also, if you were going to pick up some gun that had been sitting around in a wind blown desert for 80 years and jam some fresh ammo into it, with the expectation of A: it working and B: Not exploding. Then a pump action shotgun is a top choice. They're very simple and durable machines. Plus the US military has been using 12 gauge as its standard shotgun round since at least ww1, so the gun that was made to fire 12ga paper-shelled buckshot in 1942 will still be able to fire 12ga plastic-shelled buckshot today.

There's plenty of people still trading around and using 100+ year old ww1 rifles. Guns can last for a loving long time in good conditions and only really go obsolete if their ammo dries up.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

jetz0r posted:

Also, if you were going to pick up some gun that had been sitting around in a wind blown desert for 80 years and jam some fresh ammo into it, with the expectation of A: it working and B: Not exploding. Then a pump action shotgun is a top choice. They're very simple and durable machines. Plus the US military has been using 12 gauge as its standard shotgun round since at least ww1, so the gun that was made to fire 12ga paper-shelled buckshot in 1942 will still be able to fire 12ga plastic-shelled buckshot today.

There's plenty of people still trading around and using 100+ year old ww1 rifles. Guns can last for a loving long time in good conditions and only really go obsolete if their ammo dries up.

Thank you for this. I'm glad we have a gun nerd in the audience to tell us these things.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I see the video starts with yet more people building on the side of a cliff. Who does that :psyduck: You have an entire island, and you decide to build your poo poo clinging to the side of a massive drop in the middle of tornado alley?

Also loving Bear Gryllis; that man must hold some kind of record for the number of "survival" shows he's done where everything he does is guaranteed to get you painfully killed or at least horribly disfigured.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also loving Bear Gryllis; that man must hold some kind of record for the number of "survival" shows he's done where everything he does is guaranteed to get you painfully killed or at least horribly disfigured.

Always preferred Les Stroud on that front.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Falling out of a tree is not good for your perpetually seeping abdomen wound.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't remember who it was, but one of the non-sham survivor guys did an episode set in my backyard of the American high desert. It was neat to see how many of their tips I'd learned in Scouts and still remembered. Basic stuff like traveling at dawn/dusk to avoid the worst heat and cold, using pine needles for insulation, spotting thirsty plants from a distance to know where to go for water (anything deciduous is usually the clincher there, if you see a cluster of cottonwoods they need to be drinking from *something* and you just need to hope it's not deep underground), the kinds of things that are picked up by us natives without even realizing we're learning it, but still cool.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gorilla Salad posted:

I see the video starts with yet more people building on the side of a cliff. Who does that :psyduck: You have an entire island, and you decide to build your poo poo clinging to the side of a massive drop in the middle of tornado alley?

To be fair, that is a temple. The proximity to the cliff and the wind might have some spiritual meaning.
And these buildings are quite old. Maybe it wasn't near a cliff, but the cliff eroded towards it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Who is bear grill and why is he stupid - other than his name?

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
I've been in the (place) for 2 hours and can't/won't use the local water.
Better drink my own piss and use bad ideas as fact.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vnat posted:

I've been in the (place) for 2 hours and can't/won't use the local water.
Better drink my own piss and use bad ideas as fact.

Les Stroud, meanwhile, will show you how to either get a fire going to sterilize the water you don't trust or how to set up a solar still to do the same if you can't get a fire going.

If I recall correctly, Bear's said that some of the dumber stuff was from the producers going for more dramatic stuff. Still doesn't excuse it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Is it just me or was the dead soldier holding the gun pretty well preserved to have been sitting there for decades?

Wait, why am I even still searching for logic?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

All you need to know about Bear Grylls

Also, Lara got some incredible horizontal distance on that circular parachute.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
/\/\ Thermal updrafts from being a fire wizard.

double nine posted:

Who is bear grill and why is he stupid - other than his name?

He's a self proclaimed :airquote:survival:airquote: expert who had a TV show where each week he demonstrated the stupidest possible way to deal with any survival situation while pretending he was giving out good advice. Basically, if you ever followed his advice you would die.

But he's ruggedly handsome and has a great voice so his shows went forever.

He's the "Better drink my own piss" guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

"The water from the tap tastes a little too chlorinated better drink my own urine to be safe" - Bear Grylls survival expert/ water sports enthusiast

• Locked thread