Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alhazred posted:

In this case Lara gazes into the abyss and the abyss is loving terrified. now on fire.

It doesn't matter that the yawning blackness isn't actually flammable, Lara will find a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The 'mansion on fire' homage to Uncharted 3 didn't even register for me in that, because of just how different the theme is in each case.

Here, it's just a standard level that's decorated with flame and explosions, because, as noted, a burning down shrine's apparently a fine place for soldiers to attempt to kill you and for Lara to come across Mathias' notes and examine them in depth.

Compare to Uncharted 3, which uses the burning setpiece to create climbing puzzles centered around paths suddenly closing off or changing from being burned away. Granted, you're also being attacked by people in U3, but the fire is also prefaced as sabotage by the villain.
And I also find it amusing that the theme of 'collapsing architecture', while it pervades the entirety of this game it seems, pretty much is nonexistent in this part so far, aside from the cage scene. In the one place it'd make a whole lot of sense.

Basically, if it is a homage, it's really missing the point.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Kurieg posted:

It doesn't matter that the yawning blackness isn't actually flammable, Lara will find a way.

Lara needs a new abyss this one is full of burning cultists

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I haven't seen The Descent, but I have seen Dog Soldiers. More movies need to have a soldier winning a fistfight against a werewolf.

I consider myself extremely lucky that I went into that movie completely blind. Such a great movie :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hammurabi posted:

Honestly I say good for Lara, those guys are jerks and have it coming.

The line between good guy and evil cultist becomes kinda blurry once the good guy starts executing people with a machine gun rifle.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The line between good guy and evil cultist becomes kinda blurry once the good guy starts executing people with a machine gun rifle.

Yes, I used a machine gun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

But Grim is already dead! None of the group that's left is going to be able to put up a fight so I think it's a less blurred line than you're making it out to be. Everyone La[u]ra killed was armed. And shooting at her.
Or an animal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

But Grim is already dead! None of the group that's left is going to be able to put up a fight so I think it's a less blurred line than you're making it out to be. Everyone La[u]ra killed was armed. And shooting at her.
Or an animal.

I honestly believe that game intentionally portray Lara as losing it. The game reference The Descent/Apocalypse Now (depending on how you in interpret her rising her head up from the river of blood) and both those movie are about persons going insane. Later in the game you even see Lara on a riverboat going to stop Mathias/Kurtz

In the trailer for the sequel Lara is even shown visiting a therapist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWO3KL9uybg

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Alhazred posted:

In the trailer for the sequel Lara is even shown visiting a therapist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWO3KL9uybg

I can't wait until that gets on the PS4.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

I can't wait until that gets on the PS4.

Push triangle to talk about your childhood.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I honestly believe that game intentionally portray Lara as losing it. The game reference The Descent/Apocalypse Now (depending on how you in interpret her rising her head up from the river of blood) and both those movie are about persons going insane. Later in the game you even see Lara on a riverboat going to stop Mathias/Kurtz

Hey at least she's handling it better than Issac Clark did.

Although she's doing much worse at this than Nathan Drake. So that makes it kinda hard to compare the two now.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Hey at least she's handling it better than Issac Clark did.

Although she's doing much worse at this than Nathan Drake. So that makes it kinda hard to compare the two now.

Drake has is about a decade and a half of shooting dudes ahead of Laura. He's in the "Yah I loving love shooting dudes" phase, and he doesn't make much of an effort of hiding it. I'm looking forward to 4, to find out if he transitions into "oh god I've killed so many people I'm a monster", or if he just goes full Sully.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'm looking forward to 4, to find out if he transitions into "oh god I've killed so many people I'm a monster", or if he just goes full Sully.

It'll be the latter. I hope it's the latter.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Some of the stuff that's been mentioned about the next TR game says that Lara has massive psychological scars from what happened on Yamatai and other characters have it even worse. So its not unreasonable to interpret her as starting to lose it.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 28, 2015

Gymer
May 30, 2012

1stGear posted:

Some of the stuff that's been mentioned about the next TR game says that Lara has massive psychological scars from what happened on Yamatai and other characters have it even worse. So its not unreasonable to interpret her as starting to lose it.

Dark Horse is putting out a comic that covers the interval between the reboot and its sequel, I haven't read it myself but I remember the first story arc getting awful reviews.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

There was also a terrible book... that I read. :suicide:

And it had Dan Abnett's name on it too!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alhazred posted:

What's the name of the song they're aping here? It sounds super similar to something else but not quite.

1stGear posted:

Yeah, it sounds like she's basically said "this is who I was meant to be" as a way of coping with the fact that she's killed a lot of people and lost a lot of friends. If this was her destiny then it can't be her fault.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

For the record, in the book she's got severe PTSD (to the point that hearing a siren in London makes her think that Mathias is coming after her again), isn't sleeping well, and others are doing worse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Drake has is about a decade and a half of shooting dudes ahead of Laura. He's in the "Yah I loving love shooting dudes" phase, and he doesn't make much of an effort of hiding it. I'm looking forward to 4, to find out if he transitions into "oh god I've killed so many people I'm a monster", or if he just goes full Sully.
The lame one-liners he makes when he kills dudes is probably a coping mechanism, on the inside he's crying.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Kurieg posted:

What's the name of the song they're aping here? It sounds super similar to something else but not quite.

Music is "The Car Chase" by James Horner, originally part of the soundtrack for "A Beautiful Mind."

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

The impression I had from the trailer I saw (which was months ago, so maybe they've done a new one) was that she was bored with the whole thing and not really interested in what the therapist was saying. Unless it's supposed to be at the end of her recovery; the shrink said something about how it was healthy for her to explore some hobbies and then it cut to her doing some tomb-raiding.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I remember that trailer with therapist. If this somehow connects to Core continuity, that exploration and possible adrenaline junkie might well be some sort of coping mechanism. But I doubt that, since CD kinda covered that with LAU.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

The impression I had from the trailer I saw (which was months ago, so maybe they've done a new one) was that she was bored with the whole thing and not really interested in what the therapist was saying.

She clearly strengthens her grip when the she flashes back to the island:
http://imgur.com/Lx65rID
I don't think that that indicates boredom.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alhazred posted:

She clearly strengthens her grip when the she flashes back to the island:
http://imgur.com/Lx65rID
I don't think that that indicates boredom.

She longs for the anarchy of the island where life was a gamble and she was the dealer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The dealer of :unsmigghh:DEATH:unsmigghh:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Seyser Koze posted:

The impression I had from the trailer I saw (which was months ago, so maybe they've done a new one) was that she was bored with the whole thing and not really interested in what the therapist was saying. Unless it's supposed to be at the end of her recovery; the shrink said something about how it was healthy for her to explore some hobbies and then it cut to her doing some tomb-raiding.

It's supposed to be ironic. She's lying. Her hands are a mess at the therapist because she spends all her time outside of therapy climbing mountains and shooting people. Her way if coping is by doing the same things she did at the island, fully embracing that life.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 28, 2015

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Rigged Death Trap posted:

She longs for the anarchy of the island where life was a gamble and she was the dealer.

And, if the trailer is to believed, where she could randomly make announcements to an empty cave. Just walks in there. "We become who we were meant to be." out of nowhere.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Elfface posted:

And, if the trailer is to believed, where she could randomly make announcements to an empty cave. Just walks in there. "We become who we were meant to be." out of nowhere.

I like to imagine that her therapist was following her, just silently writing down notes and shaking his head, going "tisk tisk".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alhazred posted:

The lame one-liners he makes when he kills dudes is probably a coping mechanism, on the inside he's crying.

Actually, he's just a sociopath.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Today we get my for-realsies favorite weapon in the game.

Episode 9 - Mathias Channing ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

In case you didn't know, the last few weeks I've been streaming The Wolf Among Us. I've never played the game before and I really like it! I'll be streaming episode 4 on Hitbox tonight at 8 PM EST. The first episode's recording was bad, but episodes 2 and 3 are available to watch on my youtube channel, if you're interested.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ho Ho Ho, now I have a grenade launcher. :allears:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Ho Ho Ho, now I have a grenade launcher. :allears:

It's wonderful. :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Now you have the best weapon. But eventually you will have the best item. This is such a fun game.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So right at the end, the helicopter crashes, Mathias knows where you are.

Better stop for a couple hours and hold a Viking funeral.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

we're only ... 70% through the game? - ish?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

But it's the perfect cover! Normally when stuff is on fire, it means that Lara has just left the area. Mathias will never think of looking for her near the fire!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The origins of the Cult are mentioned in some of the journals that you'll find around the area (specifically they're written by Mathias). But to get to much further into details starts getting hyper spoilery.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The direwolves isn't mentioned in the journals, later in the game you find cages full wolves in a cave

Gorilla Salad posted:

Fun Fact: Ibn Fadlan is the only who mentions vikings burning their dead. A typically viking funeral was burying someone in their boat. Thanks to this practice we have actually found intact viking ship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseberg_Ship

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The shotgun is still my favourite because it's altfire is basically just the same thing but much more effective at med-range. Once you get the choke barrel that thing becomes death on wheels, you don't even have to switch barrels, Lara just commands the spread to be more focused.

But this may be because I've got a bad case of the "rare ammo=never use" disease. This is a pretty good game, the gunplay is just so meaty and a childhood of Banjo Kazooie means I love screwing around in setpiece areas looking for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

The shotgun is still my favourite because it's altfire is basically just the same thing but much more effective at med-range. Once you get the choke barrel that thing becomes death on wheels, you don't even have to switch barrels, Lara just commands the spread to be more focused.

But this may be because I've got a bad case of the "rare ammo=never use" disease. This is a pretty good game, the gunplay is just so meaty and a childhood of Banjo Kazooie means I love screwing around in setpiece areas looking for poo poo.

Funny thing is I'm very rarely lacking in grenade launcher ammo. As long as you keep looting corpses and ammo crates, you'll have a steady supply.

• Locked thread