Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huh, this game is free on the Games for Gold thing on my XBOX, and I think the grenade rampage was enough to convince me it'll be worth a playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

kalonZombie posted:

Funny thing is I'm very rarely lacking in grenade launcher ammo. As long as you keep looting corpses and ammo crates, you'll have a steady supply.

Yeah, once you get the loot upgrades, you shouldn't ever really be hurting for ammo. You won't be able to use the grenade launcher as your exclusive weapon, but you can use enough that it's a real weapon. Not something you save for the bosses.

Same idea with the normal weapons, you can run out of ammo if you're exclusively using one weapon. But if you have two 'primary' weapons, you should be able to collect enough ammo to keep up and still have fun with your favorite gun.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gorilla Salad posted:

So right at the end, the helicopter crashes, Mathias knows where you are.

Better stop for a couple hours and hold a Viking funeral.

Time easily bought by the cultist arguing

"Okay Mathias says she by the fire, you go first we'll cover you."

"gently caress that, you go first"

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

So Roth's gun runs out of ammo and he can't shoot the axe-thrower, so he turns and takes the axe in his back to protect Lara. Fine. Then he turns around again, pulls out a second, loaded, gun, and resumes shooting.

Why didn't he pull out the second gun instead of turning?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TurboJ9000 posted:

So Roth's gun runs out of ammo and he can't shoot the axe-thrower, so he turns and takes the axe in his back to protect Lara. Fine. Then he turns around again, pulls out a second, loaded, gun, and resumes shooting.

Why didn't he pull out the second gun instead of turning?

No time. He was reaching for the other gun as he turned.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Also Lara was in the way, since he was hugging her while that gun was in his front pocket.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose getting shot by your own cult leader is a good motivation for fighting someone who has a grenade launcher and the will to use it.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Glazius posted:

I suppose getting shot by your own cult leader is a good motivation for fighting someone who has a grenade launcher and the will to use it.

One might think it would be a good motivation to shoot said cult leader, really. Especially when he's only got a pistol and the grenade launcher is being wielded by an immortal fire elemental with a bodycount in the hundreds after a couple of days of fighting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crigit posted:

One might think it would be a good motivation to shoot said cult leader, really. Especially when he's only got a pistol and the grenade launcher is being wielded by an immortal fire elemental with a bodycount in the hundreds after a couple of days of fighting.

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Bruceski posted:

How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?

Better than trying to shoot god in the face, I should think.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Crigit posted:

Better than trying to shoot god in the face, I should think.

He's got a point. Given the choice between Mathias and Laredo Cronk, I'd try swimming off the island. Better chance of survival.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Today is another exploration video, this time with Skippy Granola! Skip and I are super buds and have done several videos together already, but I'm glad to have him in an LP official now.

Exploration 2 - Granola Trail Mix ... Youtube ... Polsy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Come on guys, the only true music for a helicopter ride is some Wagner. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really like that full jacket costume. It works a lot better than the tank top.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Still technically Tuesday!

Episode 10 - drat this half hour ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Ahem the salvage is not used as cost but is how much you would need to go through to find the parts you need. At least according to the pre-release PR about how you totally weren't buying upgrades.

Whitman was such a obvious betrayer I was convinced it was a bluff my first time through the game especially after Lara caught on.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SirDan3k posted:

Ahem the salvage is not used as cost but is how much you would need to go through to find the parts you need. At least according to the pre-release PR about how you totally weren't buying upgrades.

Whitman was such a obvious betrayer I was convinced it was a bluff my first time through the game especially after Lara caught on.

Yeah, same here, really. He's played so straight as the betraying jackass you end up convinced that the writers must be planning some clever reveal later on.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

SirDan3k posted:

It's like several folks pointed out something similar when the game was first released. Mostly about how chests in ancient tombs undiscovered for generations have pieces for modern automatic weapons in them.

SirDan3k posted:

God, I wanted a scene where Lara just plugs him right in the dome so badly. Plenty of chances to do it away from everyone! Christ, first time they come across the pirates he basically gives Lara to them and is a rear end in a top hat from then on.

:what: 'Uhh. Yeah. Pirates totally got him. Such a shame. The prick.'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

limited posted:

It's like several folks pointed out something similar when the game was first released. Mostly about how chests in ancient tombs undiscovered for generations have pieces for modern automatic weapons in them.

I always liked how, in Skyrim, you could be the first person to visit a tomb in a thousand years but it would have fresh lettuce in it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

On the "Wolves fetching grenades" thing, there's a scene with almost precisely that, only replacing dire wolves with a giant Nazi robo-dog, in Wolfenstein: The New Order! :engleft: When I heard that quote I couldn't think of anything else.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Serperoth posted:

On the "Wolves fetching grenades" thing, there's a scene with almost precisely that, only replacing dire wolves with a giant Nazi robo-dog, in Wolfenstein: The New Order! :engleft: When I heard that quote I couldn't think of anything else.

I remember that part. It was hilarious and great.

Everyone, play the New Order.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When I encountered the wolves in the cages I honestly wanted to go hogwild with the grenades but I was afraid that it would just release them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Why did they put loving muzzle loaders on the deck of their suspended cargo ship???

In another ship related note, that's a biiiiig WWII wreck there. It resembles no existing ship class but it's size makes me think it's supposed to represent an A-150 or a H-class, Axis designs that never got built for being impractically huge.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Today Dex01 of VNDLP fame joins me in talking about Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider related things as we explore... well, a bunch of areas, but mostly that forest we just left. Dex currently has a Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts LP going on, and he's helping me talk over Wind Waker as well.

Exploration 3 - Lara's Dex is 18 ... Youtube ... Polsy

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Mathias's documents sound like he's a pro wrestler working the mic during a match. :allears:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lara has at least two more gun fights after she shoots the first guy where she's all "you don't have to do this", then she moves onto quiet acceptance, then she gets her murder lady-boner.

That is totally a character arc for an action hero and at least one arc more then most of them get.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Did somebody say boss fight?! No? Nobody? Huh... well this is awkward then.

Episode 11 - Wilt Chamberlain's roid raging brother ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess Lara knows how to read German.

I wonder if they intended the Russian brothers to all have their own boss encounters at some point?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paragon1 posted:

I guess Lara knows how to read German.

the power of imagination.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, has there ever been a game where enemy goons are having a conversation and just don't mind if one of them dies in the middle of it?
I mean how would that even happen? Would they just keep saying their lines, as if the dead person replies? Or would the survivor just end the conversation, without any reason he would know of?
How does the greatest game of all times: Watchdogs handle this?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I imagine that in Watch_Dogs, the person talking to the other person assumes that they are being ignored and decide to ignore them right back. Then they get a bullet through the skull.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

kalonZombie posted:

I imagine that in Watch_Dogs, the person talking to the other person assumes that they are being ignored and decide to ignore them right back. Then they get a bullet through the skull.

Everybody only talks on cell phones that automatically deactivate when their owner's life signs cease, so it never comes up.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
In the defense of Alex and Lara's "romance", that was less Lara having a sudden love interest and more her going "I'm going to miss you." Remember, in Europe, kissing isn't just romantic. Heck, it's not always romantic in the USA, either.

But her kissing him on the cheek was more of a farewell than a "I just discovered I loved you" thing.

I still can't take him seriously when he's trying to be an action hero while wearing that shirt, though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

I still can't take him seriously when he's trying to be an action hero while wearing that shirt, though.

That shirt is nowhere near as dumb as his tattoo.

Who the gently caress gets the chemical structure for CAFFEINE tattooed on them? At least get something cool, like plutonium or something.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shei-kun posted:

I don't really think you're supposed to.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

kalonZombie posted:

That shirt is nowhere near as dumb as his tattoo.

Who the gently caress gets the chemical structure for CAFFEINE tattooed on them? At least get something cool, like plutonium or something.

Thats a single atom
And it'd be just 'Pu'.

He'd be teased infinitely for it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Shei-kun posted:

In the defense of Alex and Lara's "romance", that was less Lara having a sudden love interest and more her going "I'm going to miss you." Remember, in Europe, kissing isn't just romantic. Heck, it's not always romantic in the USA, either.

But her kissing him on the cheek was more of a farewell than a "I just discovered I loved you" thing.

There's also the fact that according to the game's writer (Rhianna Pratchett, daughter of the late Terry Pratchett), Lara's love interest was originally going to be Sam but she didn't think she could get away with it.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 1, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Polaron posted:

There's also the fact that according to the game's writer (Rhianna Pratchett, daughter of the late Terry Pratchett), Lara's love interest was originally going to be Sam but she didn't think she could get away with it.

Honestly you could easily read that into what's in there now.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

paragon1 posted:

Honestly you could easily read that into what's in there now.

Yeah, I'm not totally convinced they changed a whole lot from the original plan :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

So, has there ever been a game where enemy goons are having a conversation and just don't mind if one of them dies in the middle of it?
I mean how would that even happen? Would they just keep saying their lines, as if the dead person replies? Or would the survivor just end the conversation, without any reason he would know of?
How does the greatest game of all times: Watchdogs handle this?
They say "Are you alright bro? You're awfully quiet" in Metro: Last Light if the speaker gets shot and they just awkwardly stand there and shrug if the listener is killed.

• Locked thread