Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Season premier Tuesday January 20, 2015

Based on Elmore Leonard's novella, "Fire In The Hole", Justified was developed by Graham Yost and stars Timothy Olyphant as Deputy US Marshal Raylan Givens; a lawman who finds himself back in his home state of Kentucky. In the final season, the long brimming conflict between Raylan and Boyd Crowder will finally boil over after being on a slow cook for the previous 5 seasons.

The series co-stars Walton Goggins (The Shield, Sons of Anarchy) as Boyd Crowder, Nick Searcy as Chief Deputy Art Mullen, Jacob Pitts as Deputy Marshal Tim Gutterson, Erica Tazel as Deputy Marshal Rachel Brooks, Joelle Carter as Ava Crowder, and Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy.

For the final season, Sam Elliott and Garret Dillahunt have signed on to play roles that have yet to be released. Previously, the show has employed Margo Martindale (S2), Jeremy Davies (S2 and S5), Neal McDonough (S3), Ron Eldard (S4), Mike O'Malley (S4), Alicia Witt (S5), and Michael Rappaport (S5) as heavies or otherwise foils for Raylan Givens. Additionally, many actors have been cast against type for small to rather big roles, most notably Mykalti Washington in S3 and S4, as well as Patton Oswalt and Mike O'Malley in S4.

The show, throughout its history, is littered with alums from Deadwood, Sons of Anarchy, and other Graham Yost vehicles.

Raylan Givens

Boyd Crowder

Ava Crowder

Wynn Duffy

Season recaps:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5

S1 is a bit up and down, with the episodes being more self contained than a season long arc. IMO, the best episodes were Fire In The Hole, Long In The Tooth, The Collection, Blowback, Hatless, The Hammer, and ending with Bulletville. S2, S3, and S4, Justified took an arguably darker turn (especially S3), with more of an emphasis of a season long arc that wrapped itself up at the end of the season and ever so slightly would dovetail to the next. Some argue that S2 is the best of out of all 5 seasons, but for me, S4 is ranked 1, S3 ranked 2, and S2 ranked 3. All very very good, but for different reasons. Season 5 is almost universally regarded as the worst - mostly due to Michael Rappaport and some bad pacing. A little too much was going on.
But even as the worst season, it's better than the majority of other shows on TV

The dialogue is grade A Elmore Leonard; funny, snappy, direct, and often unexpected. Some characters are criminally underused (Tim Gutterson and Rachel Brooks), others get just the right amount of screen time (Art Mullen). The show is sold as a drama, but honestly? It's about as close to a comedy as you can get. Each season has several :drat: moments, which frankly are not telegraphed at all.

(I know this is a pretty lovely OP, but we didn't have one yet and I wanted to get to talking about Justified. If someone has a better one in the works, please PM me and I'll be happy to lock this one)

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
No coleslaw! :mad:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Thinking about a re-watch, just dreading season one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Got caught up on this recently, season 5 in particular made me really frustrated with Raylan, to the point that I'm more pulling for Boyd at this point despite him being a pretty terrible human being. I honestly couldn't tell if that was the point or not, if they were trying to make Raylan more unlikeable since he's so actively resisted letting fatherhood change him in any way, so now he just comes across as a pathetic aging man-child as opposed to cowboy-cool.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 7, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I read somewhere that making Raylan unlikeable was a bit by design. I just finished a season 4 rewatch and it was very heavy handed in saying the only difference between what Raylan does and what Boyd and others do is that Raylan's badge let's him get away with it. Art was on his trail in season 5 with his actions in getting Nicky Augustine waxed.

Make no mistake... Raylan is a pretty bad guy and a good bit of Arlo came out of him in S5

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any bets on who is going to sing the series finale of "You'll never leave Harlan alive?"

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hughmoris posted:

Any bets on who is going to sing the series finale of "You'll never leave Harlan alive?"

Katey Segal

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aww man, I was looking forward to a great DivisionPost OP :(

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Does anyone know when season 5 is coming to amazon prime?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Hughmoris posted:

Calling it now, page 1. Patty Loveless, baby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqDVObM1kxc If you haven't listened to this one yet, you need to.

I'm in the middle of my re-watch right now. I started with season 3, since I've seen 1 and 2 so many times. I used to think season 2 was the best, but now it's a toss up between 3 and 4. The Drew Thompson arc owned, but Quarles was such a good villain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Justified so far has subscribed to the "even-numbered seasons are best" theory. 4 and 2 were both so freaking good, and although 3 isn't far behind I did feel it was a little too stuffed. 1/5 are still good but 1 has the issue with taking a little while to get going and 5 just....never reached the potential the first couple'a episodes gave it, plus the bad Ava OitNB ripoff wasn't interesting.

However, that season did lead us to this one. I cannot tell you all how stupidly excited I am for the final Raylan/Boyd showdown. I have all the faith in the world in Yost and his team.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Speaking of stupidly excited, here's the trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH6J4UFMI_w

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

No Butt Stuff posted:

Thinking about a re-watch, just dreading season one.

Why dread season 1? It had some of the best episodes. Long in the Tooth, Lord of War and Thunder, Blowback and Hatless are all loving amazing.

Plus Boyds entire arch leading to Bulletville is some of my favorite tv ever.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Junior G-man posted:

DEWEY! :hitler: :dance:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ransom posted:

Why dread season 1? It had some of the best episodes. Long in the Tooth, Lord of War and Thunder, Blowback and Hatless are all loving amazing.

Plus Boyds entire arch leading to Bulletville is some of my favorite tv ever.

Yeah, it seems like people don't like season one just cuz it's less serialized than the other seasons. Some of those stand alone episodes are the best ones. I wish they did more of them the past couple of seasons when the overarching plots tended to falter

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

Aww man, I was looking forward to a great DivisionPost OP :(

Honestly I didn't think it was back for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure I would've been able to squeeze it in anyway, so I'm fine with Tide taking it over. Sorry I didn't say anything earlier!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Season 1 holds up a lot better on a rewatch because you know where all the weird side plots (Mostly Boyd's stuff) are going, and the standalone eps are still drat entertaining even if they are a bit too procedural.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So long as I get one Boyd "Well Dewey Crowe...." out of the season, it'll have been a success.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am excited as all get out to find out how Garret Dillahunt and Sam Elliott will figure into the final season. Dillahunt is an amazing actor, and Sam Elliott gets props alone just for that awesome 'stache he rocks most of the time.

edit: I did find a Justified promo picture of GD:

Frankfurt mafia guy, maybe?

I would like to imagine that Sam Elliott is the 70 year old version of Raylan Givens...

Having Dewey Crowe back is simply the cherry on top of a kick rear end sundae. If they have Dickie Bennett back?

:magical:

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 7, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Junior G-man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH6J4UFMI_w

Boy would everyone be pissed if the series just ended on Raylan and Boyd drawing on each other at :38, fade to black, 2 gunshots. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

Boy would everyone be pissed if the series just ended on Raylan and Boyd drawing on each other at :38, fade to black, 2 gunshots. :allears:

fade to black, shotgun goes off, lights come back on and Ava has killed them both.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jerusalem posted:

fade to black, shotgun goes off, lights come back on and Ava has killed them both.

drat, woman, you only shoot a man when he's eating supper?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

A guy I work with have a bet that this is basically how the season ends. Boyd and Raylan drawing on each other, cut to black, 1 gunshot. Que the most haunting rendition of You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive ever recorded.

He thinks it ends with Vasquez and a couple of Marshals knocking on Raylan's door.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Apple pie anyone? I have some sweet jars for it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

http://imgur.com/weEHBuy

My stock has gotten low, but I think I'm ready for the season premier!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

It'll be Dewey. He's due for his win :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

10 Beers posted:

http://imgur.com/weEHBuy

My stock has gotten low, but I think I'm ready for the season premier!

They drink Blanton's on the show. Grab some of that!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tide posted:

Mykalti Washington

Come on, man. He's a good enough actor that he deserves to get his name right in an effortpost.

Can't wait to see what they do with Garrit Dillenger though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Solice Kirsk posted:

They drink Blanton's on the show. Grab some of that!

Ohhh, the Blanton's went the way of the ghost on New Year's Eve. I do need to grab more soon, though!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It'll be Dewey. He's due for his win :(

Fade to black, shotgun goes off, lights come back on and Dewey is hopping about screaming in pain because he shot himself in the foot. Boyd and Raylan roll their eyes, shake their heads and get him to the hospital, and bond over what a gently caress-up he is :3:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm probably one of the few people who really enjoyed season 5, but I think its partly down to the total farce that the escapade in Mexico turned into (along with Boyd's frustration at it) along with Dewey Crowe's arc having one of the funniest endings I have ever seen. His freely given confession had me laughing to the point of tears.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I've not had a problem with any of the seasons, but I do have to agree that Gutterson and Brooks are underused. I do love me some Wynn Duffy - that guy has the best surprised face around.

I see the series ending with Boyd dead and Raylan pushed out of the Marshals service, disgraced and humiliated, and with no idea what to do for the rest of his life now he can't do what he does best.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pikehead posted:

I've not had a problem with any of the seasons, but I do have to agree that Gutterson and Brooks are underused. I do love me some Wynn Duffy - that guy has the best surprised face around.

I see the series ending with Boyd dead and Raylan pushed out of the Marshals service, disgraced and humiliated, and with no idea what to do for the rest of his life now he can't do what he does best.

Maybe remarry his smoking hot ex-wife and be a good father to his daughter. Fingers crossed!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe remarry his smoking hot ex-wife and be a good father to his daughter. Fingers crossed!

Maybe have a family meeting with them?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's .. possible, too. Either way, I know I'm going to enjoy getting to it.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Ava kills Boyd the same way she killed Bowman.

Also Seth Bullock finally gets to kill Jack McCall.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Either my ethical compass is completely hosed or the show did a poor job of selling it at the time, but I never thought Raylan being complicit in the death of Nicky Augustine was some grand moral Rubicon. Sammy Tonin was going to have Nicky killed, Raylan gave Nicky an out, Nicky refused and Nicky got shot full of holes. I mean I get why it's problematic in the real world, but on justified where Raylan has participated in shootouts with known criminals like Boyd, well it just felt like another day of business.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

howe_sam posted:

Either my ethical compass is completely hosed or the show did a poor job of selling it at the time, but I never thought Raylan being complicit in the death of Nicky Augustine was some grand moral Rubicon. Sammy Tonin was going to have Nicky killed, Raylan gave Nicky an out, Nicky refused and Nicky got shot full of holes. I mean I get why it's problematic in the real world, but on justified where Raylan has participated in shootouts with known criminals like Boyd, well it just felt like another day of business.

I more or less agree with you; only difference is that I got the impression that Raylan arranged the meeting.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Admiral Bosch posted:

I more or less agree with you; only difference is that I got the impression that Raylan arranged the meeting.

On top of that, Sammy probably didn't plan on killing Nicky to begin with. Raylan had to inform him after he landed that Nicky had just admitted he was planning to kill Sammy.

And THEN Sammy outright says he's going to murder Nicky right here and now, and Raylan expressly states that he's not going to do poo poo about it, because tonight he's not a Marshall.

So while most of the stuff Raylan has done up to this point has been brushed off with his badge and him setting them up to threaten him, this one is just outright setting up a guy to get shot to death while sitting in a car and refusing to do his duty as a Marshall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Well, at the time, Raylan was on suspension. Rules are rules, after all...

• Locked thread