Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
If you told me a few years ago that Justified was going to end with season 6, I'd have been so sad. The framing of it as Raylan finally focusing on taking Boyd down, though, is SUCH a good hook. This show really has been just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

If you told me a few years ago that Justified was going to end with season 6, I'd have been so sad.

Why? Six seasons is an amazing run.

Have they released a bunch of hilarious "Han shot first" style promos for this season?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I bailed on Season 5 after a couple episodes. You think I can get back in this last season without missing much? Basically was last season pretty self contained?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I bailed on Season 5 after a couple episodes. You think I can get back in this last season without missing much? Basically was last season pretty self contained?

Yeah. Some poo poo happened, but I don't remember any of it, so it couldn't have been very important.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ava isn't in prison anymore and Raylan's gotten her to spy on Boyd for him. That's genuinely the only important thing I can think of. Oh and something with Mary Steenburger or whatever

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

It wasn't good and nothing interesting happened so yeah just come back in. You know the characters, you know their feelings about each other, I think you'll be able to figure it out.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Season 5 was great for re-watching via binge watching but on a week to week basis it did seem like the poo poo with Boyd behind the 8-ball for too long and Ava's prison journey went on forever. I think if you warn somebody in advance that that poo poo won't be resolved by mid-point of the season it would become more acceptable.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
S6 of definitely better with a binge watch. It's got it's moments of brilliance that are taken away with a week to week viewing. Arguably the weakest, but still good.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
You know the "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage in Breaking Bad? I like to think of Justified's 5th season as being that one scene stretched into a whole season. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it because all the talent is still there, but all the table-setting has been done, all the characters are where they should be and the big explosive climax is next season. So there we are just sitting and waiting while nothing of consequence happens for a bunch of episodes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Season 5 was awful. I mean downright terrible. Bad crime family badguys. Bad Ava in Oz subplot.

But if it sets us up for a big finish to the series, I can live with it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Crystal Blue Persuasion was awesome though :munch:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

beanieson posted:

Crystal Blue Persuasion was awesome though :munch:

Right, his point was it was awesome because it was a montage. They sped quickly through the stuff we knew was going to happen and then the story picked up again months later when things were ready to go off the rails. Justified didn't do that and had a fairly boring season with unmemorable and uninteresting villains and not a whole lot of plot movement.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

savinhill posted:

Yeah, it seems like people don't like season one just cuz it's less serialized than the other seasons. Some of those stand alone episodes are the best ones. I wish they did more of them the past couple of seasons when the overarching plots tended to falter

I agree. I liked the mix of one-off and long-arc episodes in season 1. It also seemed the least cartoonishly evil of the seasons. Which is saying something considering it involves nazis with bazookas. S1 was by far my favorite. The other seasons are merely ok. I like the series, and watch it, but I'm pretty disappointed how the show played out after the first season.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Season 5 owned because Boyd blew up that one smug dude with a pack of cigarettes. One of the best Justified moments for sure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 2 is probably still my favorite, I think the Bennetts were the best non-Boyd baddies and I really dug seeing their empire come crashing down around their ears as Mags cashed in on what should have been the greatest deal of her life. It's also got that amazing "chase" scene between Art and the guy with the oxygen tank.

Season 4's overarching mystery of Drew Thompson was pretty good too, but in season 5 I got the feeling they were trying to recapture that Bennetts feel with the Crowes, but it just didn't have the same appeal to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

You know the "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage in Breaking Bad? I like to think of Justified's 5th season as being that one scene stretched into a whole season. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it because all the talent is still there, but all the table-setting has been done, all the characters are where they should be and the big explosive climax is next season. So there we are just sitting and waiting while nothing of consequence happens for a bunch of episodes.

Pretty much this. Just from a general pacing POV, I think six seasons seems right, with Raylan being complicit in Nicky's murder as a good end of act 2. But then it felt like they couldn't come up with anything for the beginning of the third, so we got a lot of wheel-spinning before the big showdown, with only the occasional reminder that Art is mad at Raylan or something similar to tide us over.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Y'know, I think Natalie Zea is just about the prettiest lady I've seen on a television show.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I absolutely blew through this entire series in a matter of like 2 weeks. Yes, really. I'd watch upwards of 4-5 episodes at a time and with holidays and my travel plans getting canceled, I finished all 5 seasons in like no time. I am not proud of this.

Trying to decide if I should re-watch S1-5 or just start with 6. On the one hand, blowing through it as quickly as I did, there's probably a bunch of poo poo I missed. On the other hand, it'd be nice to actually get to discuss an episode since I only recently discovered it was good and worth watching. From the SoA thread in fact. Basically the thread derailed into discussing any show besides SoA since SoA loving sucked.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Right, his point was it was awesome because it was a montage. They sped quickly through the stuff we knew was going to happen and then the story picked up again months later when things were ready to go off the rails. Justified didn't do that and had a fairly boring season with unmemorable and uninteresting villains and not a whole lot of plot movement.

Last season also had that weird poo poo early on with Raylan's girlfriend and how they started a plotline that seemed like she was gonna be shady, then they just dropped it and made her an inept burnout social worker instead.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shadow posted:

I absolutely blew through this entire series in a matter of like 2 weeks. Yes, really. I'd watch upwards of 4-5 episodes at a time and with holidays and my travel plans getting canceled, I finished all 5 seasons in like no time. I am not proud of this.

Trying to decide if I should re-watch S1-5 or just start with 6. On the one hand, blowing through it as quickly as I did, there's probably a bunch of poo poo I missed. On the other hand, it'd be nice to actually get to discuss an episode since I only recently discovered it was good and worth watching. From the SoA thread in fact. Basically the thread derailed into discussing any show besides SoA since SoA loving sucked.

That's not the only reason Justified became the Sons of Anarchy thread's go-to "gently caress you show" thing to recommend. Back when SoA was just starting to become noticeably bad (Season 4) Justified had just finished its still arguably best run of episodes in Season 2. Both threads also had a fair amount of similar posters since both shows fell into a kind of similar genre at the time. When SoA was still airing Season 4 (or maybe just after it finished) Kurt Sutter, the creative genius behind SoA, decided to take to twitter to poo poo on Justified and mock it over making Olyphant an executive producer, claiming that he would pollute the creative process or somehting equally meaningless. There also might have been some bitching about Justified being nominated for several Emmy awards with Margo Martindale (Mags Bennet) winning one for Season 2 while poor Sons of Anarchy was just way too unconventional for those jerks in the nomination meetings to recommend for any category. Justified went on to have two more amazing seasons in 3 (with Jeremy Davies winning another Emmy for season 3) and 4 while SoA became more and more SoA.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kibayasu posted:

That's not the only reason Justified became the Sons of Anarchy thread's go-to "gently caress you show" thing to recommend. Back when SoA was just starting to become noticeably bad (Season 4) Justified had just finished its still arguably best run of episodes in Season 2. Both threads also had a fair amount of similar posters since both shows fell into a kind of similar genre at the time. When SoA was still airing Season 4 (or maybe just after it finished) Kurt Sutter, the creative genius behind SoA, decided to take to twitter to poo poo on Justified and mock it over making Olyphant an executive producer, claiming that he would pollute the creative process or somehting equally meaningless. There also might have been some bitching about Justified being nominated for several Emmy awards with Margo Martindale (Mags Bennet) winning one for Season 2 while poor Sons of Anarchy was just way too unconventional for those jerks in the nomination meetings to recommend for any category. Justified went on to have two more amazing seasons in 3 (with Jeremy Davies winning another Emmy for season 3) and 4 while SoA became more and more SoA.

Also during that lovely season they aired previews for the new season and it reminded everyone that better shows were on FX.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Oh wow, did not know that.

Sutter making GBS threads on anyone else's creative talent is just loving hilarious. The guy's like a Philosophy 101 student who literally read one piece of trash by Nietzsche and decided to quit school and write half-baked rip offs self-published on his wordpress site while profoundly sharing genius insights into the human condition to facebook and twitter. Only issue is his friends all validate him and share his posts with the rest of us.

Mags was awesome. That actress is pretty awesome in general actually.

One of my favorite lines from the show is from Nicky Augustine:

Nicky Augustine: I got to ask. Where'd you get all those teeth?
Boyd Crowder: Courtesy of the American taxpayer while serving our great nation in Desert Storm.
Nicky Augustine: Man, I love the way you talk... using 40 words where 4 will do.

Boyd is like Deadwood personified. I love Deadwood. I love Boyd.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nicky Augustine was a great villain.

It does strike me that season 4 and 5 were viewed similarly while they were airing. The Drew Thompson mystery was never very high stakes, and there was the snake preacher digression, and the aimless subplot with Raylan's off the books money making. The difference is that season four was able to weave its threads together in a satisfying way, while season five did not. Also, at times it felt like season five was geared more towards the little oh poo poo moments, like Boyd detonating Mr. Picker, or the Crowe brother stabbing himself in the head.

Still, any season that gives me Dave Foley, Canadian Mobster can't be all bad. :3:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

howe_sam posted:

Nicky Augustine was a great villain.

It does strike me that season 4 and 5 were viewed similarly while they were airing. The Drew Thompson mystery was never very high stakes, and there was the snake preacher digression, and the aimless subplot with Raylan's off the books money making. The difference is that season four was able to weave its threads together in a satisfying way, while season five did not. Also, at times it felt like season five was geared more towards the little oh poo poo moments, like Boyd detonating Mr. Picker, or the Crowe brother stabbing himself in the head.

Still, any season that gives me Dave Foley, Canadian Mobster can't be all bad. :3:

And they brought back Loretta for an episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Shadow posted:

One of my favorite lines from the show is from Nicky Augustine:

Boyd Crowder: Courtesy of the American taxpayer while serving our great nation in Desert Storm.
Nicky Augustine: Man, I love the way you talk... using 40 words where 4 will do.

Best part of that was later Nicky asks Boyd why he seems to like Raylan so much and Boyd simply says "We dug coal together :colbert:" using 4 words when maybe 40 would explain a lot more.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Admiral Bosch posted:

Y'know, I think Natalie Zea is just about the prettiest lady I've seen on a television show.

Seen her bit on Californication? If you don't want the lead up and just the money shot, skip to 1:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCD_95mEvIA&t=36s

Davros1 posted:

And they brought back Loretta for an episode.

I say it with the overemphasized pause in the middle, Lo-Retta. Cracks me up. Also Kaitlyn Dever has been amazing in every single thing I've seen her in, just a huge range as an actor. I find myself automatically giving any movie she's in a look just because.

I found Boyd's struggle the most compelling part of season 5, basically he was the man with the plan and all the other bungling nincompoops kept loving his poo poo up. It was like a whole crowd of small time hoods, of which he's the only one with any real talent, but he can't do it on his own so he's stuck with the help he has. But their goals are all much more short sighted and he ends up just constantly screwed and double crossed. All he wants to do is free Ava but in the end he barely saves himself. I think if you watch it from the Boyd angle, it's a bit more sympathetic of a season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I gotta start watching Californication.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Jerusalem posted:

Season 2 is probably still my favorite, I think the Bennetts were the best non-Boyd baddies and I really dug seeing their empire come crashing down around their ears as Mags cashed in on what should have been the greatest deal of her life. It's also got that amazing "chase" scene between Art and the guy with the oxygen tank.

Season 4's overarching mystery of Drew Thompson was pretty good too, but in season 5 I got the feeling they were trying to recapture that Bennetts feel with the Crowes, but it just didn't have the same appeal to me.

I could forgive season 5 but for super boy. Was really a horrible casting choice, and really bad acting.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

LloydDobler posted:

I say it with the overemphasized pause in the middle, Lo-Retta. Cracks me up. Also Kaitlyn Dever has been amazing in every single thing I've seen her in, just a huge range as an actor. I find myself automatically giving any movie she's in a look just because.

If you haven't already seen it, she plays a (far more intense) Loretta-style character in Short Term 12, which is a fantastic movie in it's own right.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
She's also easily the best character in Last Man Standing.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I gotta start watching Californication.

Emptyquoting the hell out of this. How have I missed out on this show?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

I found Boyd's struggle the most compelling part of season 5, basically he was the man with the plan and all the other bungling nincompoops kept loving his poo poo up. It was like a whole crowd of small time hoods, of which he's the only one with any real talent, but he can't do it on his own so he's stuck with the help he has. But their goals are all much more short sighted and he ends up just constantly screwed and double crossed. All he wants to do is free Ava but in the end he barely saves himself. I think if you watch it from the Boyd angle, it's a bit more sympathetic of a season.

This is a lot of how I watched Season 5. Boyd's plans constantly going to poo poo because of morons either not following orders, or straight up betraying him. Ava breaking it off with him confused me. Was it so she could be hard/emotionless in prison? Also, he was her heroin source that she so desperately needed. Boyd loves her enough to keep that going but for all she knew the well would run dry and she'd be killed without protection. I miss something there?

Admiral Bosch posted:

Emptyquoting the hell out of this. How have I missed out on this show?

I used to watch it but I don't remember getting to the 3rd season. I felt like the show just got too repetitive and, as usual for shows like these, I hated his wife/ex/girlfriend/babymama for her effect on him. I also got a little tired of everyone around him being near sociopaths or master manipulators. I dunno..

Is that show still running? Wonder if it's worth giving it another go. I do have to say Pamela Adlon (Bobby Hill) is smoking. She ages well.

Edit:

Still don't know if I want to rewatch 1-5 or live watch and be able to join a discussion in this thread. I kinda hate that I discovered Justified mere weeks before the final season starts airing. I NEEDED MORE TIME

Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 13, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Californication is ok but not that great

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Shadow posted:

There's another line about how he always buttons his buttons to the top as well. I wish I could remember it, but I love both of those exchanges a lot.

Bring back one-armed Quarles for some reason. Do it!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Parachute posted:

Bring back one-armed Quarles for some reason. Do it!

I really thought they were going to bring back Fletcher 'The Icepick' Nix. I've seen that episode numerous times, and it really doesn't look like he gets shot in a vital area.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Don't listen to that man who suggests bringing back Quinn from Dexter in a fedora.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shadow posted:

Is that show still running? Wonder if it's worth giving it another go. I do have to say Pamela Adlon (Bobby Hill) is smoking. She ages well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fetus Tree posted:

Californication is ok but not that great

Californication is actually really easy to watch because you only need to watch one season because every single season follows the exact the same formula. Make it season 4 so you can see Eddie Nero at his prime and you're good.

Seriously though its basically a network sitcom with tits and the rare full frontal.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kibayasu posted:

tits and the rare full frontal.

Way to bury the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
the first 2 seasons of Californication are really fun, after that it gets really dumb and less fun

• Locked thread