Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I absolutely blew through this entire series in a matter of like 2 weeks. Yes, really. I'd watch upwards of 4-5 episodes at a time and with holidays and my travel plans getting canceled, I finished all 5 seasons in like no time. I am not proud of this.

Trying to decide if I should re-watch S1-5 or just start with 6. On the one hand, blowing through it as quickly as I did, there's probably a bunch of poo poo I missed. On the other hand, it'd be nice to actually get to discuss an episode since I only recently discovered it was good and worth watching. From the SoA thread in fact. Basically the thread derailed into discussing any show besides SoA since SoA loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

That's not the only reason Justified became the Sons of Anarchy thread's go-to "gently caress you show" thing to recommend. Back when SoA was just starting to become noticeably bad (Season 4) Justified had just finished its still arguably best run of episodes in Season 2. Both threads also had a fair amount of similar posters since both shows fell into a kind of similar genre at the time. When SoA was still airing Season 4 (or maybe just after it finished) Kurt Sutter, the creative genius behind SoA, decided to take to twitter to poo poo on Justified and mock it over making Olyphant an executive producer, claiming that he would pollute the creative process or somehting equally meaningless. There also might have been some bitching about Justified being nominated for several Emmy awards with Margo Martindale (Mags Bennet) winning one for Season 2 while poor Sons of Anarchy was just way too unconventional for those jerks in the nomination meetings to recommend for any category. Justified went on to have two more amazing seasons in 3 (with Jeremy Davies winning another Emmy for season 3) and 4 while SoA became more and more SoA.

Oh wow, did not know that.

Sutter making GBS threads on anyone else's creative talent is just loving hilarious. The guy's like a Philosophy 101 student who literally read one piece of trash by Nietzsche and decided to quit school and write half-baked rip offs self-published on his wordpress site while profoundly sharing genius insights into the human condition to facebook and twitter. Only issue is his friends all validate him and share his posts with the rest of us.

Mags was awesome. That actress is pretty awesome in general actually.

One of my favorite lines from the show is from Nicky Augustine:

Nicky Augustine: I got to ask. Where'd you get all those teeth?
Boyd Crowder: Courtesy of the American taxpayer while serving our great nation in Desert Storm.
Nicky Augustine: Man, I love the way you talk... using 40 words where 4 will do.

Boyd is like Deadwood personified. I love Deadwood. I love Boyd.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

I found Boyd's struggle the most compelling part of season 5, basically he was the man with the plan and all the other bungling nincompoops kept loving his poo poo up. It was like a whole crowd of small time hoods, of which he's the only one with any real talent, but he can't do it on his own so he's stuck with the help he has. But their goals are all much more short sighted and he ends up just constantly screwed and double crossed. All he wants to do is free Ava but in the end he barely saves himself. I think if you watch it from the Boyd angle, it's a bit more sympathetic of a season.

This is a lot of how I watched Season 5. Boyd's plans constantly going to poo poo because of morons either not following orders, or straight up betraying him. Ava breaking it off with him confused me. Was it so she could be hard/emotionless in prison? Also, he was her heroin source that she so desperately needed. Boyd loves her enough to keep that going but for all she knew the well would run dry and she'd be killed without protection. I miss something there?

Admiral Bosch posted:

Emptyquoting the hell out of this. How have I missed out on this show?

I used to watch it but I don't remember getting to the 3rd season. I felt like the show just got too repetitive and, as usual for shows like these, I hated his wife/ex/girlfriend/babymama for her effect on him. I also got a little tired of everyone around him being near sociopaths or master manipulators. I dunno..

Is that show still running? Wonder if it's worth giving it another go. I do have to say Pamela Adlon (Bobby Hill) is smoking. She ages well.

Edit:

Still don't know if I want to rewatch 1-5 or live watch and be able to join a discussion in this thread. I kinda hate that I discovered Justified mere weeks before the final season starts airing. I NEEDED MORE TIME

Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 13, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Pikehead posted:

Ava is pissed off at boyd because he keeps promising to get her out but is never able to due to his plans falling through or things happening in the prison. She starts getting sucked deep into the miasma of the prison and doesn't think she can get out (this is around the time that she kills Judith).

Kinda ridiculous to blame that on Boyd, but I suppose it wasn't a decision made with a sound and rational mind.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
He's George Hearst.

Garret Dillahunt, playing an almost identical character from Deadwood seems a little bit of fan service and I haven't decided if I like it or not.

Eh, whatever, I like it.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

DarklyDreaming posted:

drat son you like to talk as much as I do

Loved this.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Episode was kinda...empty. It had a few good scenes but overall it was kinda filler. Didn't really flow like it usually does. Felt like disjointed scenes.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
#blacklivesmatter

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
They pretty much spelled that poo poo out wtf... :(

He gave them money to deliver a vest in Orlando and then gave them a credit card "for incidentals." He wants them to use the credit card so people think he's on his way to Orlando. Eventually cops will catch up to the kids using his credit card and find the vest. By then Walker hopes to disappear and go off grid.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
True, but it's Harlan, not Harlem.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Not to nitpick but that was Ava. And Raylan was like "duh, no poo poo"

I'd be lying if I didn't think since S2's finale that the "not leaving Harlan behind" is a song written for Raylan. He keeps trying to leave and he can't. Boyd's only been trying to leave recently and even then keeps wanting to stay (until now), but Raylan's been trying to put Harlan in his rear view for his entire life and my guess is final scene has him dying.

Better yet, dying at the Harlan County border next to a sign saying, "Now Leaving Harlan County" :v:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
"Nowt Leaving Harlan County" :razz:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

I'd be surprised if it ends with Raylan dead. Honestly I've always expected the final scene of the show to be the same as the first episode (And the short story) with Raylan again at Ava's table and shooting Boyd dead. They even alluded to that a couple of episodes ago.

Then of course he ends up in Florida months later and in an echo of the first scene of the show he gives someone 24 hours to leave town. Camera pans down and it's Ian McShane.

I like you.

I also like how Walker was like wtf man you shot me in the back. I kinda saw that as poetic justice for his Jack McCall character taking out Wild Bill that way.

I miss Deadwood. :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Is the show on now or something?

Maybe I should go home.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Rhyno posted:

No way, Wynn/Mikey/Tim spinoff is absolutely happening.

Can always prequel it like Better Call Saul.

poo poo I got like 4 episodes to catch up on that poo poo.

drat you time. Why aren't you 3 hours ago??

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
When this show ends it's gonna make one hell of a marathon rewatch.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fog Tripper posted:

Will you hold me? :cry:

Have to think Duffy is pretty safe at this point.

That was really touching. Mikey felt betrayed by his boss/mentor because of breaking the code, but he still loves the guy. He doesn't want him killed, he just wants him to answer for his betrayal.

RIP Mikey :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Electromax posted:

After just rewatching bits of this episode on my lunch break... I love all these awesome shows, but lemme just say, why the hell does Better Call Saul get 500 posts of people going HOLY poo poo when Chuck like touches a cellphone in the second scene, but there are like 5 posts here for an entire episode containing scenes like Boyd executing Carl and Mike overcoming 5 bullets to the chest. It seems like a lot of folks are like me and watching it on DVR the next day even?

This season deserves more eyeballs, more than ever now. People have always slept on Justified but drat I feel lucky to have watched this when it happened. The writers can go toe-to-toe with any show in the biz when they're on. It's been about 3 Ozymandiases in a row now.

e: What I'm saying is where are all the throbbing Reddit masses who froth over every frame of BCS and Game of Thrones for Justified. Is it the perceived cowboy thing? The "just another cop show" thing? I can think of few scenes that made me feel such a mixture of terror and hilarity... cued up to Pacabel no less. Emotional as hell.

Honestly I'm glad. Live Posting is fine but 17 pages covering about 8 minutes of show gets old to have to scroll through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fauxshiz posted:

I hope the season finale is a direct port of the ending to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Edit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qakWAS8ixtU

I agree!

• Locked thread