Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parachute
May 18, 2003

Shadow posted:

Nicky Augustine: I got to ask. Where'd you get all those teeth?
Boyd Crowder: Courtesy of the American taxpayer while serving our great nation in Desert Storm.
Nicky Augustine: Man, I love the way you talk... using 40 words where 4 will do.

Boyd is like Deadwood personified. I love Deadwood. I love Boyd.

There's another line about how he always buttons his buttons to the top as well. I wish I could remember it, but I love both of those exchanges a lot.

Bring back one-armed Quarles for some reason. Do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Don't listen to that man who suggests bringing back Quinn from Dexter in a fedora.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah, that was a hell of a performance there at the end, and just that realization that he couldn't be anything more than a loving decoy was heartbreaking.

Ava's already foreshadowed her and Boyd's fates - "You act like we're not already dead".

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Tide posted:

I really felt bad for the guy; knowing that the best days of his life (drinkin shine in the church with Boyd and the rest of the Crowder Commandos) was behind him and he had nowhere to go but down.

Stuff like this and old people being alone always gets to me.

Edit: poo poo, not even "old" per say. True Detective even got to me with dumb poo poo like Hart talking to Rust in his dinky PI office about how he had been dating a hot young girl for a while after his divorce while clips of him searching for women his age online and eating frozen dinner from the microwave are shown.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 21, 2015

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Strong opener, pretty pumped for this season now. Sad about Dewey though!

E: To make this post a bit more worthwhile, here is a good interview with Timothy Olyphant. Among other things he admits he thinks Raylan is kind of a dick and that he's been ripping off one of this season's guest stars all along.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/timothy-olyphant-end-of-justified-20150119

Great interview - here's one of my favorite parts that is about Walton Goggins.

quote:

I've known Walt for years, and when we first mentioned the idea of him playing Boyd, he had concerns — the stereotype of the Southern racist and all that. He's from the region [Goggins was raised in Georgia] so he was sensitive about putting that out there in a one-dimensional way. You know, a lot of actors, we aren't that special; you get a well-written scene, and it's virtually actor-proof. But during the casting process, we had a list of people we had in mind for Boyd and the more I looked at his name on that list, the more I kept telling everyone involved, "Look, I stand corrected. I've been saying anyone could do it, but we really need to get this specific guy to play Boyd. He'll bring something special to it." And the son of a bitch did. He makes everybody better just by being around him.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
That's seriously a top tier gif.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

It's been said before but the amazing character writing of Season 4 can be summed up by Nicky Augustine telling Boyd he uses 40 words when 4 would do, and Boyd immediately coming back with "We dug coal together."

That's after he has the poo poo beaten out of him, right? The exchange is a lot different when the rest of Nicky's dialogue is tacked on -

quote:

Nicky Augustine: Man, I love the way you talk... using 40 words where 4 will do. I'm curious. What would you say if I was about to put 40 bullets through that beautiful vest of yours?
Boyd Crowder: "What're you waiting for?"
Nicky Augustine: Oh, you're cool, huh?
Boyd Crowder: I tried to keep it to four words. You'll allow the contraction as one.

Edit: More awesome Nicky/Boyd -

quote:

Boyd Crowder: Mr. Augustine, seeing as how Drew Thompson's already in the Marshals' custody, why you're cutting off the tail of my cousin and offering him up is opaque to me.
Nicky Augustine: I'm going to need Google Translate on my phone if I'm going to keep talking to you.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Either that or when he took the phones away from Wynn & Boyd he never turned them off and just put them in his pocket.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

beanieson posted:

lol all the poo poo we've seen Raylan get away with over the years and people are upset cause Errol got tased when there wasn't a real warrant :allears:

poo poo, earlier in the season he staged an accident with a federal police officer in a foreign country, put him in his trunk and drove him to the United States where said police officer would be within Raylan's jurisdiction.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Correct me if I'm misremembering, but I thought they had a decent plan of disposing the body, but since the mercs are complete outsiders, they failed to understand how the hunting season works and that the body would be discovered a lot sooner than later.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Oh yeah, I forgot about the card!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I dunno, but there has to be something because those scenes would be so loving dull if not for the awesome acting of those involved.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling driving around in this RV. - Wynn Duffy

Parachute
May 18, 2003
She's gonna shoot him dead with a shotgun while he's eating fried chicken, just you wait.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

But he doesnt even have his weed business yet

Sure he does, the Goonslinger is one of the people in charge of securing the crops in Colorado.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I wonder if he tried offering any of the prospects bitcoins before burning down their homes.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Double live from Japan, all killer no filler!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Wynn Duffy surfing in Fiji, hang ten man!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
They literally sound the same phonetically and have been used interchangeably in this thread for years, who really gives a poo poo.

Well you do, I guess.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Snak posted:

I don't know where you are from that this is true...

I'm from Texas, but a good friend of mine growing up was named Eva and she's from Poland.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Eva Longoria - EVE-uh
Eva Mendes - A-vuh
Eva Amurri Martino - EV-uh

Which of these are wrong/right you goons?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

Raylan isn't a good guy. I mean gently caress, the action that signals that Raylan is a changed man is him not committing cold blooded murder, and the show treats it as if it's something worth congratulating.

Given his history (specifically the reason he was sent back to Kentucky in the first place) and overall body count, Raylan being the "bigger man" and not killing Boyd is definitely worth congratulating.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

"Thank you Raylan. I know that you attempted to give Boyd a gun (even threatening to murder him if he didn't pick it up) in order to set up some quasi-justified killing, a plan that failed only because he knew you too well to play along, but I really appreciate that you were the bigger man and did not, in the end, kill an unarmed man. We'll just forget that you shot at him completely unprovoked the night before. You sure are lucky that you have surrounded yourself with people who are willing to overlook the fact that you are a raging sociopath. Have fun in Florida."

-Everyone, apparently

Unprovoked? The last 2 episodes reinforced Boyd's "outlawness" after he straight up murdered two unarmed people, one of which being his most loyal henchman. You'd think an outlaw like that would die instead of going back to prison for the rest of his life like some stereotype in a show that's not as good as Justified. In the end, both he and Raylan subverted their supposed destinies and choose the path of non-violence. Hell, he even decided he wasn't going to take Ava in after tracking her across the country - and this was before he learned about her child.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

Yes, unprovoked. Boyd was running across a path and Raylan, who was hiding up a hill, started shooting at him without even attempted to arrest him. I don't know what you're trying to say with the second sentence.

And as for Ava, I didn't like that she got off scot-free either.

Do you just completely ignore everything else that happens in the show (specifically the tumultuous history between the characters) besides what is happening right in front of your face at that very moment? poo poo, I just mentioned Boyd murdered what, 4/5 people in 12 hours before the final confrontation with Raylan, not to mention that 2 of those kills happened almost right in front of him.

Ava didn't get off "scot-free" - she is literally a fugitive with a young child who thinks that she could either be arrested or killed at any moment.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

Yes, and Raylan is (ostensibly) a lawman, not a vigilante. Killing a guy in cold blood because he probably killed someone earlier in the day is not his job.

This is Raylan Givens we're talking about, not Cordell Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
And knocks it out of the park every time. He ranges from good to spectacular every time I see him in something, and holy poo poo that's some perfect Charles Manson casting.

• Locked thread