Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aww man, I was looking forward to a great DivisionPost OP :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Justified so far has subscribed to the "even-numbered seasons are best" theory. 4 and 2 were both so freaking good, and although 3 isn't far behind I did feel it was a little too stuffed. 1/5 are still good but 1 has the issue with taking a little while to get going and 5 just....never reached the potential the first couple'a episodes gave it, plus the bad Ava OitNB ripoff wasn't interesting.

However, that season did lead us to this one. I cannot tell you all how stupidly excited I am for the final Raylan/Boyd showdown. I have all the faith in the world in Yost and his team.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ava isn't in prison anymore and Raylan's gotten her to spy on Boyd for him. That's genuinely the only important thing I can think of. Oh and something with Mary Steenburger or whatever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

You know the "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage in Breaking Bad? I like to think of Justified's 5th season as being that one scene stretched into a whole season. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it because all the talent is still there, but all the table-setting has been done, all the characters are where they should be and the big explosive climax is next season. So there we are just sitting and waiting while nothing of consequence happens for a bunch of episodes.

Pretty much this. Just from a general pacing POV, I think six seasons seems right, with Raylan being complicit in Nicky's murder as a good end of act 2. But then it felt like they couldn't come up with anything for the beginning of the third, so we got a lot of wheel-spinning before the big showdown, with only the occasional reminder that Art is mad at Raylan or something similar to tide us over.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the audience numbers on wiki this is actually the only season to have a real noticeable drop in viewers which is a bummer :(

• Locked thread