Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

redshirt posted:

Yeah the first one is definitely a 300 knock off. That changes pretty quick. If you make it to the 4th episode - "The Thing in the Pit" - and don't like it by then, quit. But watch till episode 4 at least.

Alright, I put in like 10 episodes and just couldn't get it. The one thing that kept me going were the sexy Lucy Lawless scenes which were pretty amazing. The rest is meh, at best. I really wanted to like this show. It seemed like it had all the ingredients for awesome but falls flat in execution like The Walking Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

redshirt posted:

Illythia stone cold murdering Licinia is the best kill.

Stone cold.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

New Naevia is the worst loving character. Holy poo poo I don't think I've ever wanted a fictional character to die a savage death as much as her.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah she's bad, like real bad

To make up for it they have that crazy german chick though

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Alright so I bashed this show earlier in the thread because I'd only seen the first two episodes. Now that I've watched every episode I've gotta say that I really like the show a lot despite a lot of the cheese. It's meant to be way over the top in every way. I mean just the way they constantly destroy their bodies and they are fine the next day (or after 5 minutes) is sort of a clue that this is more of a comic book.

Also Gannicus rules and that made the ending sad. Crixus was my favorite until new Naevia ruined him. It was also a bummer that the season 1 Sparticus actor died irl.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
welcome to the people with good opinions club, ramsus

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Zzulu posted:

yeah she's bad, like real bad

To make up for it they have that crazy german chick though

Hate to sound sexist but I didn't care much for Mira either, trying to pretend like she was Spartacus' main squeeze and could act for him and poo poo, on top of them trying to make her a badass. "I can teach you the bow!" that she learned how to shoot three days ago.

New Naevia sucks for a plethora of reasons but chief among them are being super irrational all the time, hitting Gannicus with a rock, killing blacksmith bro for no reason, and killing loving Ashur. I was really hoping her death would be his parting gift to us because he was the poo poo. Also her dumb action face and battle cry. Ughhhhh.

Crazy German chick owns though and Gannicus is the Shawn Michaels of gladiators.

E: phone auto corrected Gannicus into Cambodia lol

Santheb fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 25, 2015

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Santheb posted:

Crazy German chick owns though and Gannicus is the Shawn Michaels of gladiators.

Truth

There should be a spin off show where it's just Gannicus after he earned his freedom and up until he moves to fight Crixus.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A spinoff show that shows him escaping his crucifixion and going on sexy and violent adventures all over europe

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Or those eyebrows escape the crucifixion as lead of the new show

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
gannicus fukkin rulez

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

nutranurse posted:

Should I be starting with Gods of the Arena.

Watch Season 1, then Gods of the Arena, then 2 and 3.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Santheb posted:

Crazy German chick owns

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

redshirt posted:

If you're some beta loser and are afraid of this show, man up and watch history in action.

In shows' own words, grab hold of cock and be a man.

edit: also lmao, the first 2 pages of this thread are full of bad opinions from lesser goons who cannot find their own cocks to grab on to.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 26, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Robot Pride posted:

Alright, I put in like 10 episodes and just couldn't get it. The one thing that kept me going were the sexy Lucy Lawless scenes which were pretty amazing. The rest is meh, at best. I really wanted to like this show. It seemed like it had all the ingredients for awesome but falls flat in execution like The Walking Sad.

At least you tried. Can't say I understand how you came away with this opinion, but it's yours and you're entitled to it.

Maybe as someone mentioned above you didn't "get" that the show is intentionally cheesy and over the top, as well as lots of other things.

I just bought the entire show and am gearing up for a rewatch. Maybe I'll "blog" about it here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Did you buy it digital or bluray?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reminder that whole series is now on Netflix.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

Did you buy it digital or bluray?

lol DVD.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

etalian posted:

Reminder that whole series is now on Netflix.

Truth. Any fence sitters, take the plunge! Won't cost you anything.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
is there a compilation of the sexy bits tia

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This was the best disclaimer:

Don't feel bad about the sex, violence and cocks in the show since it's all historically accurate

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
do you love it?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

lol nice, gramps

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

lol nice, gramps

They were out of the VHS.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Anazon has one left of the blurays for the entire series for $75 but i seriously cant justify the money this month with all the other dumb poo poo i bought

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Captain Gordon posted:

edit: also lmao, the first 2 pages of this thread are full of bad opinions from lesser goons who cannot find their own cocks to grab on to.

I don't know about you, but the first couple episodes really turned me off from it. I only gave it another chance because of this thread.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

Anazon has one left of the blurays for the entire series for $75 but i seriously cant justify the money this month with all the other dumb poo poo i bought

DVD's are only like 60.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
:shrug: 60, 75, basically the same. i mainly just want some drat blurays. got 2 players and ive never seen one bluray ever

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

:shrug: 60, 75, basically the same. i mainly just want some drat blurays. got 2 players and ive never seen one bluray ever

Is blue ray really that much better?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
i just finished the series and now i am spartacus

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just rewatched Gods. Man that last battle is ridiculously amazing. Though a bit dumb that the two now-premier Lanista's in the city agreed to have literally all their good gladiators get killed in the opening Primus of the games.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nutranurse posted:

i just finished the series and now i am spartacus

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they did two takes of the classic line, right? Once in Season 1 after a fight in the arena, and then at the end of the show when all the gang is loving up villas claiming to be Sparty? Which was slick, to combine the line with an actual tactic to confuse Crassus and Popmey.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

redshirt posted:

Is blue ray really that much better?

idk i just told you ive never seen one lol. like literally ever. If its fewer overall discs its worth it for that alone. Or more features, idk. i dont even own any dvds except the 2004 alcs and world series.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If you misbehave you will get sent to gladiator school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0wYH6g8OM

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

idk i just told you ive never seen one lol. like literally ever. If its fewer overall discs its worth it for that alone. Or more features, idk. i dont even own any dvds except the 2004 alcs and world series.

I'm looking to buy a DVD of the super bowl. Want to watch that game forever.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

redshirt posted:

I'm looking to buy a DVD of the super bowl. Want to watch that game forever.

I just want the nba films documentary on the whole season thing they usually do. Thats gonna rule

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

I own those DVD's too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Santheb posted:

Hate to sound sexist but I didn't care much for Mira either, trying to pretend like she was Spartacus' main squeeze and could act for him and poo poo, on top of them trying to make her a badass. "I can teach you the bow!" that she learned how to shoot three days ago.

First off, what? Second, Mira was hotter than hell. Thirdly, she was loyal as gently caress and even when Spartacus put her in the "Trusted Chick Commander" zone, she was rock solid. Thirdly, yeah, she was good with a bow - what of it? Fourthly, super hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spartacus owned since even minor characters like Lugo or Doner were memorable due to having unique personality/fighting style.

Watching Lugo smash romans with his sledgehammer never got.

• Locked thread