Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flynn Taggart posted:

you get to see xena's tits in that show, finally. it was totes worth the wait

Lucy Lawless is still wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

I don't really like movies either but it was suspenseful and also jake gyllenhall or whatever is loving terrifying.

Also its pretty cool subject matter

neo-noir owns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

Sucka just lost his face and brain.

Seriously, episode 4 - The Thing in the Pit.

If you can't dig that - loving face wearer! - you won't like this show.

also dick girls out of nowhere

What a crazy show it was

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jungle232 posted:

The main character dies of aids and is replaced in the next season by a new actor obviously because zombies aren't real yet.

Spartagoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8H77RJnP8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agag posted:

Lots of gay sex in the later seasons. Very progressive. Also very Roman.

Respectfully, Lucy Lawless has rockin' tits.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LordArgh posted:

the actors actually wore prosthetic penises to appear larger

the prosthetic penises also were given the nickname Kirk Douglas by the cast.

The show also had a trailer filled to the top with fake penises and merkins.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kitchner posted:

This show was amazing. Someone told me to watch it because it was all tits and violence, and I saw it happened to be on one night and I out it on, is 20 minutes saw some naked bitch getting hosed on a table and a guy's head being cut off. It was awesome.

Charlie Brooker loved it for some weird reason too:
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2010/may/22/charlie-brooker-screenburn-spartacus

quote:

Then there's the sex. Apparently ancient Rome played host to more blowjobs than the internet. Rich couples nonchalantly screw slaves while discussing the weather. There's a lot of nudity here, and not just female nudity either. It's always dick o'clock in Spartacus land. The first time our hero indulges in a little locker-room back-chat with his fellow gladiators, the main antagonist paces around him, penis swinging proudly in the breeze.

Usually I find it impossible to hear what actors are saying during a nude scene – my brain's too busy screaming LOOK AT THEIR TITS LOOK LOOK LOOK to process anything as complex as dialogue – but here, for once, the nudity is so persistent, the mind quickly compensates for it. By episode four I was staring at orgy sequences and wondering who composed the background music.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Double Bill posted:

you know what to do OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va81o2fyiOQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boogoose posted:

Crassus was pretty cool but you have to admit that his tactic of fighting Parthians by hoping they'd just run out of arrows is pretty dumb

I like the story how the Romans thought the other side had finally run out of ammo but then saw piles of camels carrying even more quivers full of arrows in the distance.

oops

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nutranurse posted:

spartacus is the worst loving slave, batiatus was a dumbass for keeping him around :psyduck:

I like the episode in which he gets tossed in the poo poo pit for his dumb behavior

I like this outtake clip for the poo poo pit production scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTZYx1fENM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The other thing that owns about Spartacus is how the show scales up from a compact plotline around the ludus to a more massive ambitious scale when he leads his army of pissed off former slaves in the final two seasons.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oncearoundaltair posted:

See? - that's in line with what makes it sound more appealing. I'll probably give it another chance. What's to lose?

It's more a big tone shift, the pilot was basically trying to go for a generic 300 sort of feel especially in visual style but a few episodes in it develops a different tone.

It goes full steam starting with The Thing in the Pit crazy episode

The shows goes from a 300 sort of knockoff to memorable plot arc focused show in the span of a few episodes.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 10, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

I finally got to see War of the Damned and it ruled AMA.

it's pretty amazing how the show scaled up through all the seasons, ending up with massive battles and sieges in War of the Damned.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 9, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Davincie posted:

lugo feels...

lugo was the best minor character IMO.

redshirt posted:

Indeed. One of the best TV shows I've ever seen, and fairly accurate historically speaking to boot. Incredible.

I really liked the neat twist on the "I AM SPARTACUS" meme, in that we never learn the real name of the main character, a fact referenced directly in his dying speech.

Also, many people bitch about the first episode, but it is beautiful. Witness the scene of naked Sura pulled from the hero's arms, referenced several times in the final episodes. It looks like a painting.

It pretty much owns especially compared to better known hyped shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.

Things that owned about Spartacus
-Plot advances at a rapid pace and avoids annoying meandering (cough walking dead)
-Exciting fight choreography and stunt work
-All the characters felt fleshed and had complex motivations driving their decision making
-Doesn't get caught up world building but organically builds the setting one episode at a time (cough Game of Thrones)
-Despite low budget had pretty cool set and practical effects
-Effective villains who are just as smart and motivated as the main hero
-Spartacus isn't a super hero and doesn't magically become a champion/leader overnight
-A warning at the beginning of each show about how the rampant sex and violence is historically accurate

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 9, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If you don't watch the show then manu bennet will do a haka outside your house every night.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Santheb posted:

Crazy German chick owns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reminder that whole series is now on Netflix.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This was the best disclaimer:

Don't feel bad about the sex, violence and cocks in the show since it's all historically accurate

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If you misbehave you will get sent to gladiator school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0wYH6g8OM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spartacus owned since even minor characters like Lugo or Doner were memorable due to having unique personality/fighting style.

Watching Lugo smash romans with his sledgehammer never got.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVqi3CjKEso

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

dark skin and hair is my jam and also miras facial structure something something jupiters cock

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah she was fuckin awesome

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

Me too. Now, I really liked the original actress and was bummed when she was replaced (not as much as Sparty of course), but I understand the realities of the business. That said, I found her character progression natural and understandable, even if I didn't agree with all of it. She was hosed up - you realize she was tortured for months after the ludus rebellion, right? Was she just supposed to return to a normal person after that?

No. She was hosed up, and even her vengeance did nothing to assuage that. She was ruined, and only the love of Crixus had any chance of saving her.

Yeah she's basically suffering from PTSD leading to lots of irrational reckless behavior.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nutranurse posted:

look in your heart of
hearts and you will find that crixus
was always a douche

Is it wrong to miss season 1 arrogant dick Crixus?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nutranurse posted:

yeah

no

manu bennette does "arrogant, competent tough-guy" really well

He's also a inverse samson, his hair level is inversely related to his power level.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

well i mean technically the protagonists werent very victorious

Spartacus is remembered, while Crassus was just a historical footnote and remember for his limitless greed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

Individual victories. Personal victories. Even for a short time victories. But no doubt the slaves will always lose, eventually.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Liam is better at leading slaves than khaleesi

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

game of thrones sucks

GoT had no memorable songs either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVl21YCzIiA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This was such a badass scene

it was also great how they brought back Rapeface back, only to brutally kill him in the episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

RIP in peace Rapeface.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charlie Brooker loved it for some reason:
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2010/may/22/charlie-brooker-screenburn-spartacus

quote:

Then there's the sex. Apparently ancient Rome played host to more blowjobs than the internet. Rich couples nonchalantly screw slaves while discussing the weather. There's a lot of nudity here, and not just female nudity either. It's always dick o'clock in Spartacus land. The first time our hero indulges in a little locker-room back-chat with his fellow gladiators, the main antagonist paces around him, penis swinging proudly in the breeze. Usually I find it impossible to hear what actors are saying during a nude scene – my brain's too busy screaming LOOK AT THEIR TITS LOOK LOOK LOOK to process anything as complex as dialogue – but here, for once, the nudity is so persistent, the mind quickly compensates for it. By episode four I was staring at orgy sequences and wondering who composed the background music.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I saw a few episodes of the SyFy censored version and it's pretty hilarious.

They basically put CGI clothes to cover up all the dick and tits goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

A good death.

For the viewer. Horrible for the character, and all involved.

Speaking of, were these dudes lovers or buds or brothers or what?

No basically he was a best bro but Tiberius had to kill him in decimation after getting defeated by Spartacus.

• Locked thread