Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
:siren:FIND THEM ALL HERE:siren:

NEWS ARTICLE
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-internet-archive-just-made-a-ton-of-old-ms-dos/1100-5164/

quote:

Internet Archive folks have a DMCA exemption from the Copyright Office, which allows the site to archive:

Computer programs protected by dongles that prevent access due to malfunction or damage and which are obsolete.
Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access.

So yes this is real and legal.

The games are run in a web browser on a DOSBOX emulator. Some you can find as downloads on the site if you search for the name of the game.
Since there are over 2,300, if you link a game that you think others should play I'll add it to the OP.

:pcgaming1:Recommended Games

Hugo's House Of Horrors - One of my favorite text adventure games as a kid.
You are Hugo and you have to save your girlfriend, who had went to babysit a baby in a haunted house. Gameplay is similar to traditional Sierra-style adventures.
Metal Gear
VGA Miner
The object of the game is to "make a lady" out of Miss Mimi, the owner of the brothel. If this sounds too sexist for you, you might want to quit reading now and not play. In essence, she has agreed to marry you IF you present her with a diamond ring and $20,000 in cash (your mutual retirement fund.) "Anything less and I would be wasting my god given talents on just one man.", says she. Because of her history of unsanitary sexual practices you may also want to consider having a condom as well. You win the game when you present yourself to Miss Mimi with $20,000 and a diamond ring. The toughest part, of course, is mining enough ore to come up with the $20,000.
Moonwalker
Moonwalker is broken up into 4 levels. The first level has you walking around avoiding fans trying to find parts of a rabbit costume needed to disguise yourself from your fans. You then need to find the waiting motorbike to escape to level 2 - Michaelsville. Here you need to find orbs which transform your bike into the glittering Stratus car able to leap barriers. If you get far enough you escape via a jetski. Level 3 has you defending yourself in Club 30 against Mr Big's task force. And the final level has you in an arena fighting Mr Big's Storm Troopers and plasma cannon as Moonwalker himself - survive and save the children.
Supaplex
Supaplex is a puzzle game reminiscent of Boulder Dash
One Must Fall!
One Must Fall 2097 is a fighting game with a twist. Instead of the usual Street Fighter II trend of games, in this game you play one of 10 characters controlling one of 10 huge robots in a fighting match
TYRIAN
Tyrian is a shoot 'em up with a complex plot.
Stargoose Warrior
Star Goose a top-down space shooter in which you move through a semi-3D environment shooting rounds and missiles at your enemies.
Scorched Earth
It's all-out war in Scorched Earth, an artillery combat game. You and up to nine friends can duke it out on hills and in valleys as you nuke each other into submission in this turn-based tank battle.
Ancient Art of War
The Ancient Art of War is a real-time strategy game based on the very basic elements of war: unit types, formation, and strength.
SkyRoads
Pilot your starglider on a "road" through space, avoiding obstacles and holes along the way, and without running out of fuel or oxygen. Full version includes 30 roads in 10 areas.
Stunts
Stunts (4D Sports Driving outside of US) is a 3D car racing simulation.

:confused:FAQ

What is MS-DOS Emulation on the Internet Archive?

The Internet Archive's software collections have a number of in-browser emulators to allow limited access to software, by making the software play within (most) browsers. The majority of this is done with the JSMESS (Javascript MESS) system, which is utilized in multiple collections, such as the Console Living Room or the Internet Arcade. For one collection, the MS-DOS Software Library, we have implemented the DOSBOX project and which is designed specifically for DOS-compatible programs.

I can see my mouse and the program's mouse.

In the programs where a mouse cursor is provided, your mouse will generally work. However, to prevent both mouse cursors (the DOS cursor and your computer's cursor) from being on the screen at the same time, select the fullscreen option.

I have questions or want to walk through a non-working program.

The MS-DOS emulation is part of the Software Library of the Internet Archive, which is overseen by curator Jason Scott Please mail him at jscott@archive.org with any questions, suggestions or discussions.

The program runs very slow.

The EM-DOSBOX emulator is a javascript program running in a browser - it requires a lot of CPU to run, and definitely requires the most up-to-date browsers to take advantages of speed enhancements. We highly suggest you update to the latest Chrome or Firefox to ensure the program runs at top speed. The difference between versions even a few months or a year apart can be multiple times. In a few rare cases, the game or program being run does certain video or programming tricks that confuse the emulator, and the whole program runs notably slow, slower than even a taxed system should run. This is due to incompatibility with the emulator, and unfortunately will require the DOSBOX project to improve emulation going forward.

It's not working for me. (Common Issues)

As it is experimental and very new technology, there are a number of places that the MS-DOS Em-DOSBOX emulator can fail to work.

The most common is browser incompatibility - the EM-DOSBOX emulator works best in the Firefox and Chrome browsers, but also works in Internet Explorer and Safari. Bear in mind that only the most recent versions of these browsers will work best with EM-DOSBOX.
If you do not see the DOSBOX Logo in the player, be sure you do not have javascript blockers or ad blockers working on the page - the player is created in Javascript.
If the browser has slowdown issues or crashes, please let us know - there might be a MS-DOS program that is not compatible with EM-DOSBOX in a way our testing has not yet revealed.
If the "spinning disk" after pressing SPACE to load the program never stops spinning, there is an error with the program image. Please let us know about the non-functioning program and we'll track down the issue.
These are the most common problems; be sure to contact the software curator if there are additional problems you are seeing.

My Favorite Game isn't in there! What's wrong?

There are multiple reasons the MS-DOS section might not have a game or application in its library. They include:

The game requires a CD-ROM's amount of information to run. Since this is an in-browser emulation, larger datasets (greater than 10 or 20mb) run into all sorts of issues when being loaded. The size, not the use of a CD-ROM, is the core issue, so even disk-based games that used a lot of space are not being loaded up.
The game, in some way, is not compatible with the EM-DOSBOX emulator. If we find the current incarnation of the emulator plus the version of the game is causing crashes, freezing or strange errors, we will likely remove the item just to limit frustration for users - there's nothing more bothersome than trying to track down a problem that could be anything from your browser to a strange programming choice made 25 years ago.
The game is still for sale. Happily, a number of vintage DOS programs have been updated, fixed for compatibility, and continue to be sold at a deep discount to a modern audience. Sites that provide sales to these updated DOS versions include Good Old Games and Steam.
Finally, we may simply not be aware of the application or game and not have an example of it. We're always adding more programs as we can.

joats fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Miner VGA is a great game and the first one I ever found to exploit.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, this is super cool! Thanks for the link, I'll play a shitton of bubble bobble later.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh my god they have Moonwalker yesssssssss

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember playing a lot of Bubble Bobble as a kid. DOS version was totally different from most of the other ones (some stages were, like, impossible) and when I played it on our super old thing none of the monsters fired their projectiles so it was kinda weird.

Does this give them a right to archive only, though? I'm pretty sure that storing games for archiving and storing them with the intent for free distribution are very different things.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Try Supaplex guys

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
SeXoniX is probably my favorite

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

nftyw posted:

Does this give them a right to archive only, though? I'm pretty sure that storing games for archiving and storing them with the intent for free distribution are very different things.

Apparently due to some copyright for game stuff updated in 2006 they are allowed to do this due to the amount of time that the games have not been published or sold by anyone. They actually started doing this last summer, it's just until now they only had like 800 games.

If anything, it would be wonderful if due to this archive becoming popular some publishers did actually try to sell these or otherwise update them.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Oh man they have Castle Master...

...and it's in Spanish for some reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Oh man they have Castle Master...

...and it's in Spanish for some reason.

AHEM!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Era_of_Spanish_Software

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool 2,400 games that should remain in the past for a reason

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Is there a download all button I'm not seeing?

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
One Must Fall! I played so much of this.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Now i can do it, legally! I can play them

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wayback posted:

One Must Fall! I played so much of this.

gently caress that last robot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone should also know of Internet Archive's official Arcade repository: https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

And console repository: https://archive.org/details/consolelivingroom

Much like the MS-DOS project, the games are only playable in-browser. I actually don't know how well their exemption would hold up, but the odds of it getting challenged are probably pretty slim, so this is about as close to the white side of the grey legal area as you're going to get. As a bonus, Sega Genesis is included, so get your Quackshot on motherfuckers

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Blackdog420 posted:

SeXoniX is probably my favorite
Good find! Spent many hours playing this game one handed! Good memories!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A lot of these were originally arcade games.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

TYRIAN!!!!
God this game ruled.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm gonna play the poo poo out of mixed up moother goose

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
This rules so much. Easter egg alert: enter "gently caress you" as a command in the Hugo's House of Horrors~

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How are games like Wolfenstein 3D and the Commander Keen series on here? Those are available on Steam.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Despite their exception, I've found quite a few games in there that are currently being sold on Steam, Gog, or other similar services.

It does seem like every major PC game from before about 1994 is up there, though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There are a TON of sega genesis games in there too, this is absolutely not just DOS stuff. Kinda weird to see Maximum Carnage and Lion King in there for free but it's pretty cool to have access to stuff like that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Best game on the list :weed:

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Well, I looked up this video, because of course, and apparently the same people made an unironic sequel to this in 2009. :psyduck:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
https://archive.org/details/msdos_ANAL_-_The_Rectum_Adventure_2003

I think I found the best game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nope, I did.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Games are art.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is it :filez: to download the games from the archive.org pages?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Holy poo poo. I played this when I was a kid. My god the memories.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nice concept, I'll check back when the stuff doesn't run at three seconds a frame.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Scorched Earth is all I need.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
https://archive.org/details/Lost_Eden_1995_Virgin_M3_

They have Lost Eden. The music to this game is amazing. The game is also about Dinosaurs fighting an alien overlord and it's a Myst Styled adventure.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 7, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

A good poster posted:

Is it :filez: to download the games from the archive.org pages?

I don't think you can do that. It just seems to run in the browser under a dosbox emulator.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

YES.

This is the best instance of this type of game that has ever existed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Either I messed something up or stuff like Tyrian isn't working for me properly. Just keeps pushing towards the edge of the screen :(

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Supaplex gently caress yeah this game was the poo poo back in highschool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001
You can download Darklands, but it won't let you play it in-browser. I'm sure someone will fix this clerical oversight eventually.

• Locked thread