Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Hot: -1, Cold: 2, Volatile: 1, Dark: -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Delinquent, Untrusted
----

The Deleter posted:

"You seem like you know a lot about this bridge. How much research did you do? Did any of it get specific about the occult side of it? We ought to hit the books again and see if there's, like, a really old manuscript that gives the witch a name, or mentions undoing the curse, or something."

"The school librarian is a huge local history nerd. She's got like old newspapers going all the way back to the 1800s, and she knew a lot about the bridge when I asked her. It was rebuilt a few times, this is only the latest version for trains. I guess there was a mass killing in town back in the 50s and that was the end of the KKK in Madison. All kinds of urban legends about THAT, but a lot of this is me guessing based on the history stuff and what I see in dreams."

quote:

"What was the grim reaper like, by the way? You're the only person who's ever seen him and told others about it. Nobel Peace Prize right there."

I winced. I got the feeling Death wouldn't appreciate me talking about him. "He was... curious, I think. He waited with me for a while, until I woke up. Like he wasn't sure what to do with me until just that moment." I shrugged. "He was my guide. I was scared, but not of him, if that makes sense."

Necroskowitz posted:

"Have you," I say, my voice cracking, "When you've fed... have you killed anyone?"

"NO." I said. "I swear to God, Jacob." I pulled out my phone and clicked on a bookmark I'd saved. It was the online version of the Madison Gazette. The headline read: 'Animal attack at Rosy Meadows funeral parlor mystifies owners, police.' Six bodies despoiled by animals right in the funeral home's private morgue. No one had figured out how an animal could have gotten in.

"This was me. This is the ONLY time I've fed. It's been three weeks." I handed the phone off so he could see it. "I'm not a murderer." Just a cannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Hot +1, Cold -1,Volatile +2, Dark 0
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Meddler, Shadowed

"...Harsh." I mean, what could you say? Sorry you're a zombie? That wouldn't do anything. Let's do something productive.

I look up at the whitewashed pentagram. It stinks like... A whale... ate some cabbage and then died... like a decade ago. Uuuuugh. If I'm gonna be smelling this when I'm near Hazel then he's not even getting to hold my loving hand. Oh well, let's see if it triggers some ancestral memories or whatever stupid loving powers werewolves are supposed to have.

Deeeeep breath...

Gaze into the Abyss:
(TheDeleter) !r 2d6
(Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 5 = 5

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Alisha: Deep breath… and as you investigate it, it investigates right back, pentagram glowing and squirming if you look at it too long. The hairs stand up on the back of your neck at the sheer wrongness present here. Like someone took something good and whole and pure and poisoned it, made it a trap, just to see what would happen. It makes you nauseous, sick, and worse, it prickles at your wolf-brain, sets it to snapping mad. You’ve gotta go, gotta get out of here, before it sets you off completely, and you take off running, into the woods, sheer instinct driving you away from there.

What do you stumble on in the woods that you wish you didn’t?

Joel&Jacob: If you manage to tear your eyes away from the pentagram, you’d see Alisha run like a bat out of hell, straight into the woods. That aside, the pentagram is still pulsing, moving like worms wriggling through soil, and it honestly makes you feel sick to look at it for too long. What do you do?

Roll some Hold Steadies if you want to stay in this vicinity

Damien: She shakes her head, blonde curls bouncing on her shoulders. “D-don’t call her that - she’s just…” She bites her lip. “I’m Joan, just a Freshman here, and I wouldn’t even be here without her support, s-so… If I ask you now, would you say yes? It’d really help me make things up to her…” She still has tears in her eyes as she makes that plea. She takes a string on you

Lisa: Ms. Moore seems a bit hesitant about loaning out a co-worker’s possession, but shrugs. “That… certainly sounds like the type of assignment an artist would get. So long as it’s back soon, I think that will be alright. That stone’s a heirloom of Ms. Arlette’s, so please be careful with it, it’s quite dear to her.”

“Lisa, right?” Mr. Baines pipes up, beady eyes fixing on you. “You’ve got some nerve to barge in here and ask for a teacher’s stuff. There’d better not be a scratch on that when you bring it back, mark my words…” As he continues to lecture and bluster, an errant glance out the window to your lookout post shows… oh dear. There are people headed for the drama room!

Hazel: “She’ll get hers, don’t worry. I’m not rolling over for that bitch. You just worry about yourself. I know you’re the one who put her up to this, you slimy little wimp. Give me a reason I shouldn’t give you a taste of what she’s gonna get.” She gives you the condition ‘Slimy’ and looks about ready to start getting physical.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Stats: Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: [Terrified][Hot-Tempered]

I raise my hands up defensively, "Listen, man, I didn't mean that," I begin stumbling over my words, "I mean, that's a good thing, I just wanted to fig-"

You know the feeling you get when think someone's watching you? Now imagine that feeling, but the person watching you hates you with every fiber of their being with an intensity you can't even begin to understand.

I cock my head back behind me and toward the bridge. I trace my gaze up the supports, across the scaffolding, and finally find myself staring back at the drat pentagram.

It's staring right back at me.

Hold Steady 2d6-1: 4

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 22, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Hot: 2, Cold: -1, Volatile: -1, Dark: 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Shadowed]

Yes! And also no!

"Thanks Ms. Moore!" I give her another grin, grab the stone (it feels like it's full of static electricity and colors I can't name,) spin about, and march triumphantly out of the teacher's lounge. One slight blow for faerie justice! I stash it in my bag and then zip it up, wanting to make certain nothing could possibly happen to it. If I lose this...

Unfortunately, it's not like I have time to enjoy the moment. I sort of abandoned my post, and it's sort of about to bite Damien in the rear end. Only one option. Time to set the Madison Prep School 50 meter corridor-sprint record.

Taking off like a bat outta hell, I do my best to crash the gates weave through the hallway traffic, not bothering to respond to anyone or explain myself. Honestly, they can deal with it. Damien was in trouble, and again, more or less my fault. I may not have a long stride, but I've gotten pretty good at running away from people I've pranked or said the wrong thing to. Running towards something is basically the same as running away, right? Should be easy - I just gotta get close enough to shout the lookout word.

Oh poo poo, we didn't decide on a lookout sound! gently caress. Most people use owl sounds, right?

"Uhh, WHOOO?! WHOOO?! Owl talk! Hoot! One, two-who, three! Hoot!" I'm sprinting through the halls hooting like an owl to save my friend from kids in dorky costumes. My life is awesome sometimes.

Run Away: 2d6-1 2
Running towards as opposed to away, but same principle. Really hoping I just bowl into the drama club.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 22, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Hot -1, Cold 1,Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 1/4 | Experience 3+1/5 | Conditions: Apathetic, Drained, Slimy

I'm honestly shocked.

"Wait, what? You think I...are you loving serious?" It doesn't look like she's in the mood to talk though. Then an idea goes through my head. Oh gently caress, this is such a bad idea but maybe, just maybe I can pull it off. I walk forward slowly, as if trying to calm her down.

"Listen, I don't know what you think is going on but I swear, I had nothing to do-"

Immediately, hoping I catch her by surprise, I grab her hair and pull her forward. If I can rip out some hair, that should be good for use in the spell. God this is the dumbest way to get a token I have ever done. And if I actually hurt her, maybe she'll back down like she did in homeroom.

Lash Out Physically: 2d6 12 +1 from tagging Weak

Dealing 1 Harm and taking a String

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 1/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Delinquent, Untrusted, Terrified
----

Jacob was finally, maybe, sortof coming around when it happened. The symbol under the bridge went bonkers. Alisha bolted, Jacob stared at it like a deer in the headlights of an oncoming truck. I felt it too, waves of some kind of awful, miserable hate just rolling off the bridge and hitting us like a physical force, the feeling of a rope around my neck, cutting off my breath as I struggled and kicked. But I'd felt all of this before, when I first re-awakened. I knew what it was.

Didn't stop me from being scared shitless.

"Leave them alone!" I yelled, stepping in front of Jacob, trying to, I dunno, shield him or something. I was the one it wanted, right? But... what for? Why did it bring me back? "What do you WANT from me?" I yelled.

---
Holding Steady: 2d6+2 = 9. Gonna take "Terrified" and ask the question: "What do you want from me?!"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh gently caress gently caress gently caress not good not good get away the bridge is alive oh gently caress get away oh god

It's not long before I realise I have no kdea where I've gone. I am now lost in the woods because of a haunted bridge. Stephen King reaches for his tissues. gently caress! Get it together...

Hold Steady:
[07:01] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6-1
[07:01] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 4-1 = 3

Nope! Not happening! Run run run -

I stumble across something. It's a bear. If I were a betting girl, it might even be the same bear from all those years ago. I dunno. Is that crazy? It doesn't matter anyway because something has popped this bear open like a video game treasure chest, ribs out like the wings of a butterfly, and I can see all the insides and there's flies and the smell -

Well, at least I can stop running now. I can pause to find a tree where I don't have to look at the body, and vomit everywhere.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 22, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson
Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 4/5

"I'm not sure if this place is worth having someone take their own failures out on you, Joan" Mind you, I could always say I'm taking part in the play, and then just go off-script on Halloween itself. ugh, but would that actually get me suspended from school? gently caress it, decide later. Talk with Lisa first. Girl's pretty though. And I do feel kind of bad for her.

"Look, I'll think on it. But just for your sake. But before I say anything, I should at least take a look at the script, right?" I point to the papers there, assuming it is the script. "Let me take a look at it. If I like it, I'll tell Laura it was all you that got me on this train. If not, I just won't tell her anything and you're not off any worse than you were before."

I hear Lisa's warning, and I look at the door. "Ah, got some other things to do though, so I'm gonna have to cut this talk short. So can I have the script?"

Manipulat Joan: 2d6-1 6

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Alisha: That tears it. There’s too much stress, too much loving bullshit, and the wolf-brain has had enough. It’s taking over, right now. Go Darkest Self, I’ll leave it to you to describe the transformation

What do you do?

Hazel: She definitely didn’t expect that, letting out a yelp as you yank out a fistful of hair. Looking at you, shocked, she throws a punch at your gut, yelling obscenities. Take one harm

What do you do?

Lisa: Well… that certainly gets peoples’ attentions - not least Baines, who was midway through lecturing. People in the halls part like the Red Sea for a girl who’s racing past hooting like a demented owl, though there’s a lot of laughter in your wake. However, just when the group headed for the drama room are in sight, a huffing, puffing PE teacher grabs ahold of your bag. It would be easy to slip out of his grasp to go warn Damien, but that would mean leaving your bag - and the stone! - in the sweaty grip of Mr. Baines.

What do you do?

Damien: She looks very hesitant about that. “It’s our only copy…” and then she just looks at the door, and the muffled hooting in the distance, giving you a ‘did you just hear that’ look. “Listen, the play’s not for a few days, I can get you a copy tonight. How’s that sound?”

Lisa’s tried to warn you of something, what do you do?

Jacob: It stares back, and for an eye-blink it looks like a giant bloodshot eye staring back at you… and you feel, rather than hear it say “Interesting,” in a tone like steel snipping through flesh. Something in you breaks, gives up - you’ve got to get out of here, right now. Even with Joel trying to protect you, you’ve got to go!

Into the woods you go, too, in a blind panic. What do you run into that saves you, stops you from going mad?

Joel: Both your friends have fled, leaving you all alone with this thing. When it speaks, you feel rather than hear it, and it sounds like bones snapping. ‘To live’, you hear. ‘You are to live, and live, and live, no matter the cost. It should not have been you, but it is, and now we both have to live with it.'

What do you do, when a painted circle on a bridge 'speaks' to you? Especially with that kind of answer?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF

As I start to turn, my human mind thinks thank god I left those bags of clothes near the parkway...

Then wolf-me - all ten feet of her clothes-ripping, hair-sprouting, claws and fangs self - takes over.

Woods. Light. Smells. Smells bad. Meat. No good, no eat. Bad meat. What on me? (that's another blouse gone) Off. Good.

Awooooooooooooooooooo!

Felt good. (yeah it kinda did but what the hell do I do) Where? Rembember. Bridge. (oh no) Bad thing at bridge. Made me run. (oh god please don't) Bridge is bad! Nothing makes me run! Nothing! I'm Alpha! I'll break it!

(i run all the way back to the bridge like an idiot, and hey this part is pretty neat running as a wolf is badass i don't stumble or trip or anything i move like loving greased lightning

but i'm stuck in my own head

and i can't steer)

Break! Break bad thing at bridge! I'm Boss! I'm Alpha!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 2/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Apathetic, Drained, Slimy

Ow. Owww. Okay, time to leave because I am not up for an actual fistfight. I attempt to shove past Rebecca and just run for it with one last "gently caress you!"

Run Away: 2d6-1 5

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Shadowed]

Oh come on! I'm so close, and he stops me now?! I snarl at Mr. Baines, doing my best to rip my bag out of his grasp with one solid tug. Of course, no luck with that.

Well this isn't great. At 5'1" and like, 100 lbs, I'm not exactly built to win a tug of war with a PE teacher. Course, he's already breathing super heavy, and I'm not even winded in the slightest. There's a bunch of people around us watching, so if he won't let go of the bag, I'll have to make him pay.

"What's up, coach? Hate owls or something? And how the hell are you already tired?! That was only like, fifty feet! Guess you should run some of those dumb laps you make us do yourself, huh?" I hope I'm making a big enough commotion to alert Damien / distract those dumb drama kids. Pretty sure I'm gonna end up in the principal's office already, might as well pile some more derision on Mr. Baines. He's still got that stupid strong grip on the bag itself, and I'm mostly holding the strap.

"No, bad coach!" I'm yelling at him like you would at a dog that just pooped on the carpet. "That's my bag, it's not made of food. You can't eat it!"

Shut down Mr. Baines: 2d6-1 8

Giving him the condition [Tubby], taking one in exchange.

Marking XP.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

I'm not aware of the exact moment I started running and frankly I don't care.

IT TALKED TO ME!?

The bridge, the Eye, talked to me!

I've dealt with vampires, zombies, hateful spirits, all sorts of evil, violent things back home. But these were just individuals, loners. Some of them had big ambitions for dark things but they were just that, ambitions. They never got their dark projects off the ground, I didn't let them. But that bridge... that was an evil place... used for decades, maybe over a century, as location for lynchings, not just murder of individuals, but murder to assert control, for hatred. Places like that never really heal, even long after the horrors that spawned them. Spirits still haunt them, demons get attracted to them...

And if a witch were to use one as a focal point for a curse? Oh, man.

I don't know how long I've been pumping my legs away from that bridge or even in which direction I ran. Away from Alisha... from Joel. Yeah, I guess that's still him, in some way. The heroic thing to do would be to dig in my heels, turn and start rushing back to them, save them.

I look down at the earth rapidly passing by my feet.

I can't. I'm sorry. You deserved better than me. G-d, I'm so sorry.

My chest tightens but not just from exhaustion. And the wetness in my eyes isn't just from the wind. I wonder if I'll ever be able to look anyone in my family in the eye again aft-

It's at that point that I look up and see two figures standing right in front of me. Unfortunately, I don't see them in time to stop myself and with terrible crash I end up sending all three of us tumbling in different directions. I curl up in a ball as I roll along the ground and eventually come to a stop on my back.

"Nuh, nonon NO!" I scream, as I backpedal on away on my hands. I'm still thinking, irrationally, that it must be something to do with that bridge. It's only after a moment when my eyes finally come into focus that I can identify who's in front of me.

"Oh," I say, struggling to my feet, "hey Hazel and uh, Rebecca. Listen, I-"

But I'm cut off by the sound of a long, piercing howl.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson

Only copy, huh? Good to know. Maybe I can come for it later when there's no one here. Best get together with Lisa to regroup and plan. I give her a smile. "All right then..Meet up at Tacqueria Sotiropoulos at 7? Could do a few readings there as well."

Man, the script is laying there teasing. But just grabbing it isn't gonna lead to anything good, is it? Anyway, alarm was sounded. Or at least I'm guessing that's an alarm, unless Lisa is mocking someone with owl sounds. I back away at the door, giving a parting wink. "Cya, Joan. Don't let Laura gently caress with you too much, right?"

Turn on Joan: 2d6-1 7 Joan gives me a string, gives me something I want, or gives herself to me.[/i]

Afterwards, I quietly open the door, seeing the scene with Lisa and that fat rear end in a top hat gym teacher. Whoops, looks like she needs some help. "Hey, Lisa, eh... hey, Mr. Baines. Why eh... why are you chasing a girl all the way through the school? I mean, that supposed to make students feel safe, a girl getting pursued by a middle-aged guy twice her size and thrice her weight? It carries eh... what's the word? Unfortunate implications? Just saying, you look pretty scary."

Manipulate Tubby Mr. Baines Manipulate Tubby Mr. Baines: 2d6 11 His motive for letting her go is is, not looking like a total creep

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 1/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Delinquent, Untrusted, Terrified
----

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What do you do, when a painted circle on a bridge 'speaks' to you? Especially with that kind of answer?

It should not have been you.

But it is.

"WHY?" I yelled back at it. "What's the point of living if I'm not even alive anymore?!"

I picked up a rock about the size of my fist and threw it as hard as I could at the bridge. It pinged off the metal girders and rattled somewhere up inside it.

"I'm going to FIGHT you, and I'm going to FIND you, and I'm going to STOP you!" I swore.

---
Tried a manipulate NPC here but well... 2d6-1 = 4. The bridge doesn't seem to care.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF

BRIDGE! Bad thing!

(okay wisenheimer how are we going to defeat a demon bridge)

Bite! Bad smell! Claw! Hurt bridge! (well we're certainly making toothpicks - wait, who's that)

Thing here? Jump!

What is? No smell. Dead smell? But moving. Like alive. What is? (oh god its joel don't hurt him oh no)

What is???

(stop hitting him stop you could hurt him stop please)

Shutting Joel down, using Bare Your Fangs to roll.
09:29 WorkDel !r 2d6+2
09:29 Krysmbot WorkDel, 9+2 = 11

Giving Joel the condition "Chew Toy"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 1/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Terrified, Chew Toy
-----

The bridge shrieked, the sound of metal twisting in protest and wood planks being torn to bits and HOLY poo poo ITS NOT MAD AT ME THERE'S A WEREWOLF!!!!

Every single time I thought to myself that today could not POSSIBLY get any worse, it got worse. Because as soon as the giant, 10 foot tall, shaggy toothy monster puppy from HELL noticed I was there, it dropped off the bridge and ran at me.

I played dead. I just flopped backwards, squish, in the mud, limp as a noodle. That's what you do when a bear attacks you right?

WELL ITS NOT WHAT YOU DO WHEN A WEREWOLF ATTACKS YOU.

I can tell you this from FIRST HAND loving experience.

It picked me up by the shoulder with it's TEETH and started poking at my side with one paw. Then it shook me a little, and I started screaming a little (OK a lot), which got it all excited and it dropped me and started sniffing all around my face and chest and then I realized it hadn't actually bit me and I remembered all those books about dogs I'd read when I was younger and stupid enough to think I might ever be allowed to have a pet and I could tell this loving thing was PLAYING with me and oh god it's tail was WAGGING so I put my hand up and and and-

I petted it on the nose.

Please don't bite my hand off please oh please oh please.

---
Holding Steady in the face of WEREWOLF PLAYTIME: 2d6+2 = 11! Removing Delinquent.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF

(oh my god joel just booped me on the nose

oh my god)

Good! Not-dead thing good. Nice pets.

(okay

I've never tried talking as a wolf because one i'm not in charge and two i'm not sure if a wolf mouth is up to the task but)

Good not-dead. Licks!

(oh my god I'm licking his face, I need to do something before I embarrass myself into a black hole of suck

hey quit it wolf brain, that's joel) What is Joel? (he's our friend) What is friend? (uhhhh, pack, pack member) Joel is pack? Pack is Alisha and Joel. Good! Pack good. Joel good. (thank god

his name! try saying his name!)

Name? What is name? Name is...

"Joooowweeeelll?" (wow that sounded horrendous, if he wees himself I won't blame him one bit)

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 23, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
-----

The licking. The licking is very gross. Make it stop. Help.

I can't see my shoulder, I can't tell if I got bit or just mouthed on. If I got bit will I turn into a werewolf? A zombie werewolf? Please god, I can't deal with that, I really can't. I bet the bridge is laughing it's rear end off or it would be if the werewolf hadn't just torn half the planks off of it. Take that you loving evil eye witch symbol thing!

I manage to push up to a sitting position, working my petting arm up to the werewolf's ear. Something gets caught in my fingers. A scrunchie. A purple scrunchie.

Alisha was wearing a purple scrunchie.

The Deleter posted:

"Joooowweeeelll?"

"Hoooooleeeeee poo poo." I said through my forced good-doggy voice and clenched teeth. "You're a big bad wolfie, Alisha. Yes you are, yes you are. Please don't eat me, and we'll have a nice looooong talk about this later. Oh yes, we will."

She seemed content for the moment but I couldn't just let her run off like THIS. She might hurt someone or worse, and Jacob was still out here and he really didn't need to know about this on top of everything else. And besides I was pretty sure the bridge was what set her off and that was my fault for bringing us out here.

Maybe if she calmed down she'd go back to normal? I could HOPE, right?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Hazel, Jacob: So... what the everloving gently caress was that? Also, Jacob, both Hazel and Rebecca look like they've been fighting. Trouble never stops around here, does it?

Damien, Lisa:

Damien, take a string on Joan

Lisa, take the condition 'Problem Student'

Mr. Baines is so red he looks like he's about to explode, almost cartoonish in his anger, but as he realizes everyone's watching him, he lets go of the bag. Through gritted teeth, he grunts, "You had better hope you like detention, Miss Fayette, because you are gonna have a lot of that in your future."

Of more immediate concern are the group of girls, and one boy, standing in the corridor between Baines/Lisa and Damien. The one in the middle, with the immaculate, almost doll-like features, has to be this Lauren Tillman Damien's heard about. With a small smile and a sickly-sweet voice, she speaks up "Mr. Baines? I think this boy needs to join her - he went into the drama office, uninvited!" Mr. Baines gives Damien a glare, with his beady, piggy eyes, and grumbles something that sounds like "Principal will deal with that." With a final harrumph, he leaves, and the drama club start to file back into their office. As she passes Damien, Lauren giggles, and says "You should have accepted my offer~"

What do you do, before she follows the others in, and closes the door behind her?

Alisha+Joel: No prompts for you yet, just keep doing what you're doing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF

Nice pet. Good Joel. (well he's figured it out, so thats that dealt with) Joel Pack. (its gonna be really really awkward when I turn back naked in front of the guy who petted my head and booped my nose and talked to me like a house pet but hey he's a zombie so its even)

Smell. Bad smell. Not from bridge. Where? (that smell oh no)

Bad smell! Bad thing! (its Hazel its the same smell as Hazel oh god im snarling like a chainsaw joel must be horrified) Go! Hurt bad thing!

Wait. Joel. Joel not wolf. (what) Joe not run like Alisha! Sad Joel. Take Joel! Pack must run together!

(i've just picked up Joel and put him on my back what the gently caress no no i don't want him to see me hurt Hazel that's)

Pack fight bad thing! Kill! Run!

(i'm running and running no no stop please stop)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

At first I think Rebecca must have gotten one hell of a hit in as we go tumbling, but then we're both on the ground and Jacob is screaming and I can see she's just as confused. While they're both busy, I quickly put the bit of hair (ew) into my pocket for later. Then a howl breaks out.

"Jacob, what the gently caress is going on?" And then the loving weirdest howl I've ever heard-

The Deleter posted:

"Joooowweeeelll?"

wolves do NOT make that noise oh gently caress is it Alisha is he running from Alisha gently caress gently caress gently caress

"Jacob?! I'd really like to know what's going on!"

Taking a token on Rebecca

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Shadowed] [Problem Student]

I've got the stone and Damien rescued me from Mr. Baines, so I should be pretty drat happy, right? You'd think so. But this new girl, little Miss Emma Frost over here, she's pretty clearly a massive bitch - and one that wants to gently caress with my friend. Who tattles like that? And what the hell offer is she talking about? I can ask Damien about it later, but for now I'm gonna let her know that I don't approve of her and her methods, at all.

Leaned against a locker, I give Drama Queen as big and sarcastic of a smile as I can manage. "Yeah, why wouldn't Damien want to do stuff with you? After all, tattling on people having fun is totally cooler than actually having fun. Heard you guys are putting on a performance of Taming of the Shrew, guessing you're the Shrew?" Messing with me like Baines did is one thing, but he's a teacher. They almost always act like that. Another kid loving around with Damien, though? Especially another girl? That's way over the line. You don't get to mess with my friends.

"And Damien," I've shifted out of my incredibly sarcastic voice. Also, I've just ambush-hugged him. He smells a little like cigarettes, but it's nice. Technically I'm not breaking my promise since this isn't bringing anything up, and friends are allowed to hug each other. I may be putting a little more squeeze into it than I would with most people, but that's just to show how appreciative I am for the rescue. That sounds plausible, right? "Thanks for the save, Baines looked like a Red Shrek." I maintain the glomp for another second or two, and then release Damien. I've recovered the stone, defeated an ogre, mocked an evil princess, and hugged a friend. Pretty successful fairy quest, I'd say.

Turn On Damien (partially to spite Lauren): 2d6+2 9
String, Promise, or Self from Damien.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 24, 2015

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

I push myself to my feet and take a deep breath.

"I was out with Joel and Alisha by the old Hanging Bridge and s-something happened. I bolted."

As a justification both to myself and to my new audience I venture, "I barely got out of there in time," I pause, look at Hazel, regret in my eyes, "and I, uh, still dunno where they are."

"Listen," I say, looking toward the horizon, "I'm sorry I interrupted your, uh..."

I look around at both of them: Rebecca's hair is mussed, Hazel seems to have trouble standing up straight, and both look very perturbed by my presence.

"...foreplay?"

I point back behind them towards the direction I came running.

"But anything coming from there is out to kill me," I wave my right arm broadly toward both of them, "and since you both are here with me, it will probably want to kill you too."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

What.

WHAT

"Oh my god you loving idiot how does this look like foreplay - wait, hang on. Did you just say you lead something dangerous to us?!"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson

Oh, so that's the mysterious Laura, isn't she? oh, and she wants to be bitchy about this? Well, I think I know how to piss off self-important bitch-queens like you. Making sure to look a bit confused and flabbergasted I look at her a bit. "Eh... sorry, do I know you?" I ask, with my best attempt at honest confusion, giving Lisa a questioning look.

Shut Down Laura: 2d6+1 7 Give her the condition Nobody, she can give one to me

After all that is resolved, I answer the hug, just happy that everything's all right. Yeah, we've got a poo poo rep with that teacher, but honestly, that's just things that happen. She smells like flowers and rain, even though she smoked a cig just as recently as I did. her hair is just under my nose, and her body is pressed rather tightly against me and... oh poo poo.

Lisa breaks the hug just in time to not notice how a certain of my body are trying to make the situation all awkward. Well, I sure hope she didn't notice. I give a grin, trying not to blush too much. "Hah, no worries. you know I got your back." I walk away with her, not wanting people in the theater room to hear what we were saying. "Anyway, didn't get the script. There was someone inside. Joan. Seemed nice enough, Bur Laura's got her balls in a vise. She was apparently bitching her out because I didn't join her stupid little show. So Joan's gonna bring me a copy later tonight, hoping to get me to join. I'm half tempted to join, and gently caress up the play. But I'm wondering if that's suspension-ville. And besides, fun as it is, I'd have to miss out Zombie-town, and gently caress that."

Giving Lisa another string

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
-----

OK. This is working. She's gonna turn back any second now. Anyyyyy second.

Alisha posted:

"GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!"

Oh-poo poo-that's-bad-isn't-it-

Put me down! Put me down! Put me-

This is not down. This is up. This is up and we're running, and I am riding a werewolf.

This is incredibly cool.

No, bad, running towards the school. poo poo.

I'm up on her shoulders riding sort of piggyback, arms around her neck. Bouncing a lot, but her fur is really thick and I don't think I'll fall off.

"Alisha- ooof! We should -ow-, go the OTHER WAY-ugh, forest, rabbits, deer, unff!"

Nope, wolf on a mission. We are going that-a-way. Jacob's still out here somewhere, I really hope she isn't chasing him, but maybe I can yell a warning? I'm not really sure how much of Alisha is really there right now, so I don't want to say something that'd piss her off... Only one thing I can really do then. I sat up straight and cupped one hand in front of my mouth.

"AOWOOOOOOOOO!" I'm the king of the world! "OW-OW-AOWOOOOOO!!"

And through the trees I can see people. Hazel, Jacob, and... Rebecca? Jesus Christ this is going to go so bad so fast. I buried my face in her fur for a second and tried to prepare myself for what I might have to do next. She smelled like... like strawberry shampoo.

----
Turning On Alisha-wolf with some pack-howling: 2d6-1 = 6. Spending my string to bring that to a 7! Give yourself, make a promise, or gimme a string.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

"Listen it's not like I meant to mess up your weird forest playtime, I mean if it helps you're both kinda cuuuuUUUUU- JESUS loving CHRIST ON A POGO STICK!"

Charging at us like a bat at of hell is the biggest ball of fur, teeth and claws I've ever seen in my life. I can recognize a werewolf when I see one, I just wish I had time to give my cousin a call for some pointers before it was on top of us.

Hold Steady in the face of an oncoming Alisha 2d6-1: 7 Stay terrified and remove hot-tempered.

But I'm done running from my responsibilities. No more innocents are going to die because of my cowardice.

I rush forward, grab Rebecca and Hazel by opposite shoulders and pull them behind me. I then take a few more steps, dig my heels into the ground, raise my arms in front me, and square my body for impact.

I utter one last word for the two of them before devoting all of my focus in front of me.

"Run."

Light the Way - Should Hazel follow through on this command he can add 1 to his Run Away roll. For Rebecca, she'd operate at an advantage.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 24, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Shadowed] [Problem Student]

Shogeton posted:

"Hah, no worries. you know I got your back." I walk away with her, not wanting people in the theater room to hear what we were saying. "Anyway, didn't get the script. There was someone inside. Joan. Seemed nice enough, Bur Laura's got her balls in a vise. She was apparently bitching her out because I didn't join her stupid little show. So Joan's gonna bring me a copy later tonight, hoping to get me to join. I'm half tempted to join, and gently caress up the play. But I'm wondering if that's suspension-ville. And besides, fun as it is, I'd have to miss out Zombie-town, and gently caress that."

Oh, so that's what all of this was about. "That's cool about the script - if someone was in there, no easy way to steal it really." I got my stone with two people in the room, but I have Faerie training and experience, so it isn't really a fair competition. I did win though. "Yeah though, if you sign up, you'll be totally stuck with her. Even to mess it up, like... hours and hours of boring practices plus her being a huge bitch - totally wouldn't be worth it. Plus Zombies is gonna kick rear end." I can't imagine he'll join up, but it never hurts to give good advice. I really don't like Drama Queen. Just something about her.

At this point, I'm not even certain if lunch is over, and if I have class now, or what. We're just kinda hanging out in the hallway. What time is it? I could check my phone. Do I even care, though? Signs are pointing to no.

Mental Note: Find excuses to hug Damien more often. He really didn't seem to mind.

Before I skip out for the day, I had better hand this stone over to the Faeries on the other side of the locker Gateway. "Yo Damien, wanna help me with one last thing, then head out? I'm gonna need a lookout while I take care of something in the girl's locker room..." Hopefully he's intrigued. It's not really a prank, but I can't tell him the truth about Faeries. I know he'd want to help if I could tell him the truth though, so when you think about it, it isn't really lying.

Spending that new string to offer Damien XP if he agrees to be her lookout while she turns in her quest item.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 24, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 5/5

"Yeah, probably right. Could always make lots of copies and spread them around. Just spoil their whole loving play. Shame about Joan, but honestly, even if she's gotta go to another school, it'll be worth it to get out from under of Laura's boot-heel. Doing her a favor really."

At the request I grin. "Sure, no problem. Lead the way.Is something hilarious going to happen near the girl's locker room I should be keeping an eye out for?" I come along.

Going along with it. Scoring 5 exp, taking Misdirection as my advance. Each time someone blames an innocent party for something I did, they score 1 xp, and I get 1 string on them. (I read this as The Accuser, not the innocent party)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF

Joel howl! Good pack!

AWOOOOOOOOOOO

(okay confession time, in basically any other context id be pretty down with Joel talking to me like a doggy because i am pretty hosed up and also he's kinda cute? But it might be necrophilia or something i dunno, is it if the corpse is also still walking and talking and a person? poo poo i dont have time for moralising right now)

Joel gets a string on Alisha!

People. People-pack. One is bad smell! (oh my loving god jacob's doing his superman bullshit and there's hazel and oh rebecca well maybe i can get away with some murder today)

Bad smell pack! Is bad! Go away! Grrrrrr! (oh no jacob's in the way LOOK OUT)

Lashing Out at Jacob:
[10:35] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6+2
[10:35] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 7+2 = 9

Jacob takes 1 harm, but can gain a string on Alisha or deal 1 harm back (she can't go any wolfier).

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 24, 2015

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Harm 2/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: [Terrified]

In the back of my mind I distantly recall a National Geographic show I watched half-asleep some ancient Saturday morning long past. It was an episode on the Pacific Northwest and the narrator was talking about what to do in the event you are attacked by a grey wolf. Among his friendly advice was: curling up into a ball, whimpering, licking your lips, and showing the whites of your eyes as a sign of submission in order to calm the wolf so it leaves you alone. I suppose I recall this previously forgotten memory because I now found myself in a largely prone position with a giant wolf-person perched over me.

I've never been hit by a car, but I imagine this is probably how it would feel if I were. My body still radiated pain from the force of the great behemoth tackling me with the force of speeding Subaru. That it then spiked me into the ground like the game-winning ball definitely didn't help matters.

The thing was easily over twelve feet tall and had a what felt like a literal ton of weight to throw around. It was snarling and dripping great gobs of canine saliva down onto my face. It's breath wafted hot on my face with the overwhelming stench of rotting meat and... pine? My cousin Sender claims to have wiped out an entire pack of these things up in Canada. But unfortunately for me I can't follow his example: I left my Browning Machine Gun and .50 Caliber silver bullets in my other pants.

So I guess I'll have to rely on good ol' Nat Geo for this one. I scrunch up into a ball and hide my eyes. After a moment the snarling stops. A few seconds more and it begins snuffling me, I guess it's investigating whether or not I'm friend or foe. Slowly, carefully, I tilt my head up toward it; let out a low, pathetic whimper; make it see the sad, submissive look my face...

...and bite it hard on its stupid wet doggy nose.

Dealing one Harm back to Alisha and spending a string to force her Hold Steady if she wants to Lash Out again. Updated strings.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 24, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
-----

Alisha yelped and threw her head back, knocking me right in the face. I fell off her back into the leaf litter, dazed for a second.

"Goddamnit Jacob you are not helping!" I yelled, looking up to see if Hazel and Rebecca were still there. "Everybody calm the gently caress down!" I stepped in between Alisha and Jacob and put my hands up to separate them. "No more biting! EITHER OF YOU."

I might have put some extra emphasis towards Jacob on that last part.

(Alisha had an excuse.)

----
Shutting down Jacob, no more fighting!! 2d6+2 = 13! Jacob loses 1 string on Joel. Updated string sheet (also added the string on alisha.)
e: just so we're clear you guys are free to ignore the poor peace-loving ghoul entirely.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 24, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

Suddenly a giant wolf jumps out and slams into Jacob and yeah it's Alisha so much for my earlier thoughts on her not harmful wow Hazel you are a giant idiot and my heart is loving going wild but hey suddenly I'm not so tired anymore.

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 8

Removing Drained, getting Terrified in its place

Then Jacob loving bites the werewolf and I glance back at Rebecca. It'd be bad if she were see anything else.

"What are you waiting for? Get out of here!"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Damien + Lisa:
Ooh, you can see that stings little miss drama queen, much as she tries to hide it. "It doesn't mean much for a loser to not know greatness when they see it, she retorts, slamming the door shut behind her to end the conversation. Damien takes the condition 'Loser'.

You can carry on for a bit as you are, I'll only give prompts when Lisa goes to Faerie to give back the stone.

Everyone Else: The bully doesn't need to be told twice to run away in this kind of situation, though honestly... she's seen Joel riding a gigantic wolf that tackled Jacob, who then bit it. That's already a lot of incriminating stuff she's been witness to! As she runs, shrieking, what do you do?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Meddler, Shadowed, Terrified

Pain!!! Bad!!! Away!!!

(holy jesus jacob when i get out of here im going to hit you so hard that HURT)

I did a Hold Steady roll like eons ago and got a 9 so I keep my cool but I'm Terrified now.

Joel? Joel say no hurt? Jacob hurt! Jacob not pack. Other meat run. Bad smell! Bad smell still here! Go away! Hurt!

(Nonono not hazel i have a date with him gently caress NO)

Lashing Out at Hazel:
[22:45] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6+2
[22:45] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 8+2 = 10

I'm going to deal 1 harm and take a string on Hazel.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 25, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 3/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Apathetic, Slimy, Terrified

Is Joel actually going to defuse this situation?

No. No he's not, I realize, as Alisha goes from Jacob and tackles me and begins clawing oh god it hurts I have to do something just say something maybe I can get to her somehow-

"ALISHA I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU loving KILL ME I'M CANCELING OUR DATE!"

Spending a String on Alisha to reduce her roll to a 9

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Meddler, Shadowed, Terrified

What is "date"?

(OKAY I HAVE HAD ENOUGH

DOWN)

Down.

(BAD DOG)

Alisha bad.

Hazel takes a string on me instead.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

"Awesome! This'll be cool, thanks dude." Ahh man, I'm gonna have to do something while I'm in there that qualifies as a prank. Guess I'll think of that later hopefully. And maybe I should have the Faeries glamour something to look like the stone, so I can "return" it and not get in huge trouble.

Walking on down to the locker rooms, and it doesn't look like anyone's outside. Well that's good. I give Damien a thumb's up. "Aight man, just stay here and don't let anyone come in. I'll be out in a bit."

Striding in, I check to make certain there's no one lurking about, and then get down to business. Approaching the locker that had earlier served as a gateway, I try to reopen it.

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+1 6

Eww.

• Locked thread