Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Hot -1, Cold 1,Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 3/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Apathetic, Slimy, Terrified

I can see the confusion in her eyes oh thank god it worked. But I don't know for how long. I didn't want to do this in front of Joel and Jacob...but do I really have a choice now? As we look at each other, I begin chanting. I can feel my tongue making strange noises, like the clanking of chains, as the magic flows out.

I've never hexed someone to their face before I really really really hope this works out

Binding Alisha: 2d6+2 8

Going with "unexpected side effects" for the choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Stats: Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 2/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: [Terrified]

As the werewolf reels back in pain from my unorthodox reversal, I flip my legs over my head and roll backward to my feet. This might have been a lot more impressive if I didn't immediately stumble over and have to catch myself on a nearby tree.

"I figured you'd be used to that rear end in a top hat," I shout as I notice Rebecca's hasty escape. Well, at least this wasn't for nothing. My death can at least be for something even if I didn't liv-

quote:

"No more biting! EITHER OF YOU."

"Joel, what are you do-" but my surprise at seeing my undead friend again is cut off as the werewolf rampages past us.

I turn and let out a scream, "Hazel, get-" but the thing is already on top of him before I can even finish.

Without thinking, and heedless of the pain I rush to close the distance between myself and the pinned Hazel. Just before I reach them I leap in the air and bring myself down, elbow first, onto the monster's hair back.

Lashing out vs. Alisha - 2d6+1: 9+1 for Alisha having terrified = 10 Harm plus a string on Alisha

Wait, did Hazel just say something about Alisha? And what's that glowing?

Updated String Sheet.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 25, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson
Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 5/5

"Phew, I doubt anyone's got a day like that behind them." I say, as Lisa goes do whatever it is she's doing. "Oh, you wanted to tell me something earlier, Uncle Jack?"

I look at my shadow, which doesn't do anything.

"Uncle Jack?" Huh, sometimes he can be quiet for some reason. I hope it's not because he's pissed or something.

Lisa

You enter the same place as before. Again, there is the dead land, littered with crystal, the ground moving underneath. Though the gleam seems to be out of it, the place looking just a bit darker than normal. Perhaps because it still lacked the blue stone? Soon the sound stops, and the emaciated figure erupts once again from the ground. The jagged gash in its face curls into a slightly terrifying smile. "A promise well kept, Puck!" It says. "Be again welcome in Faery."

It holds out the blue stone. "And one good turn deserves another. From human treachery you saved us, so will we save you from human treachery. Gaze into the stone." Within, you see Damien entering the theater room, carefully as you saw him before running off. Within is a girl waiting in there. Blonde hair and a smile on her face. "Hey there, Damien. Having fun running around with the freak?"

Damien smiles back at her. "Eh, it's entertaining enough, for now I suppose. She's got the total hots for me though." He mocks your voice. 'have you considered I'm way more awesome', ugh..."

Joan steps forward, wrapping her arms around him and grinning. "Oh, and you're not even a bit tempted to stick it in the crazy?"

"What? Do I look like someone who fucks midgets? Besides, I got a blonde beauty as my co-star for the play, and my date for the evening then. I told you, I'd show you my acting skills. She doesn't suspect a single thing. When the Halloween Party's there, the prankster is gonna find out that despite all her best efforts, the biggest joke in the school, is she." He grins devilishly.

Joan chuckles. "Oooh, Damien, you're such a bastard, kiss me." And then they passionately kiss. It's followed by sudden hooting sounds from outside. Joan gives a grin. "Oops, don't leave your date waiting. Meet up at Tacqueria Sotiropoulos at 7?"

Damien rolls his eyes in irritation. "Ugh, this is getting old fast. Halloween can't come soon enough. Tell Laura 'hi' from me, okay? Oh... and also 'sorry for what I'm gonna do' Well, maybe I'm not really sorry. Theatre does need a new leading lady, doesn't it? See you tonight" And he winks, then leaves the room. You vaguely hear Damien's 'rescue' of you from the outside. Then the stone fades.

What do you do?

Because Lisa has shadowed, and meeting with the Faery King is a Gaze into the Abyss role, I get to say what happens there. And Uncle Jack comes out to play

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Forest Crew: As Hazel makes noises a human shouldn't be able to make, the werewolf pinning him is bound - golden loops of light tightening like wire over fur, cutting into skin and flesh as it draws tight... and the same occurs to Jacob after his elbow drop, and to Joel, and to Hazel himself - pain and constriction until they're forced apart. Once the four are no longer showing aggression towards each other, the loops disappear, but everyone present can feel it - they're still there, just not visible, dormant. Violence, for the time being, is out of the question.

What do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Hot: 2, Cold: -1, Volatile: -1, Dark: 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Shadowed] [Problem Student]

I'm... speechless. I don't, I can't... what the gently caress?!?! How, why... why would he do that to me? This has to be true, but it can't be. The Faeries have never lied to me before... but people have.

"Thank you," I tell the Face. But I'm not, at all... now I know how loving poo poo my life is. I can't even make ONE real friend in this loving place.

Oh my God, I'm a loving idiot. It was all an act. I'm Carrie. I'm back in the locker room now, I must've stumbled out of Faerie somehow. Did I? My eyes are wet. I can't focus on anything, I can't stop seeing what was in the stone! I... Freak? Crazy? Midget? Joke? I've heard poo poo like that before, why does it hurt so bad now?! Probably 'cuz he's right... Oh my god, now I'm crying too!

I've been dumped twice before. I mention that so I can assure you that this hurts like, ten times more. At least when someone dumps you, you know they at least liked you for a little bit. At least enough to have gotten to know you, and asked you out, and spent time and stuff. Damien, though... the WHOLE thing had been lies? WHY? I'd never loving done ANYTHING to him. I just thought he was cool, and liked being his friend. And maybe I felt sorry for him a bit, and maybe I had more of a crush on him than I thought till I thought he maybe liked Kimmy. But... he'd just thought I was some dumb joke he'd just parade around like a public punchline.

gently caress! He's right outside! Time to check the gym... and of course there's a class in there now. Goddammit!

Hoisting my bag over my shoulder and mustering whatever courage I have, I push the door open with my shoulder and then take off with a sprint towards the stairway, hoping that Damien won't loving follow me. Definitely covering my face with my sleeve too, I'm not letting him see how loving upset I am. No such luck though... that betraying piece of poo poo douchebag can't take a loving hint. I spin around when I hear him ask me what's wrong. I've made it halfway up the steps, while he's down at the bottom.

"gently caress off! I never did anything to you! I just wanted to friends with you, why'd you loving lie to me?! Leave me the gently caress alone!" Why the gently caress does he look surprised? Is he still trying to act? I take back off while he's stunned. If I can make it to the girl's dorms, he won't be able to follow me, and I'll be able to get in my goddamn bed and go to sleep and pretend that I'm dead or that every other person on Earth is dead. Especially Damien, Joan, Lauren, and everyone else in Drama. And Mr. Baines.

Run Away from Damien: 2d6-1 5

Rauri fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

Oh man is this going to be awkward. On the other hand, at least it worked. Sort of. I glance over at Alisha.

"So, uh, when does she turn back?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson

At first, when she bursts out and sets off running, I grin and follow, thinking it's just the result of a prank that she got caught in. Only as we're making some distance do I notice the usual lack of whooping laughter. Wait, is she crying? Did someone hurt her? "Lisa, Lisa, stop, what's wrong?"

And then she stops at the stairs and just abouts stabs a knife in my gut. What? "What? No... no, please." As she retreats, the words come out only in a croak, a whisper. "No, Lisa... please. I'm sorry. What did I do? I'm sorry, please no, don't... I don't understand? What did I... what did I do wrong? I'm so..." my throat slams shut at that last, desperate, uncomprehending apology. She's gone. I stagger through the wall and lean against, feeling like my heart is like a big heavy brick in my chest, weighing me down. I almost have to focus on taking shuddering breaths. There's a silent, breathless sob as I feel tears welling up.

"I'm sorry Damien." Uncle Jack's voice comes up from my thorat, sounding warm and comforting and clear, despite my throat still feeling like it's in a vise.

"Why?" I ask, the same question she did. I don't know the answers. I don't know anything.

"Who can be sure?" Uncle Jack answers. "Maybe you didn't want to give her what she wanted? She wanted a boyfriend, and you wouldn't do it. I was afraid this would happen, but I honestly hoped I was wrong. You're hurt Damien. But I'm here for you. And you'll heal."

I shake my head. "No... no... there's got to be... some mistake. I need... the girl's locker room. Maybe someone left something there." I start running there. Yes. Yes, in the girl's locker room, I'll find what made her angry and I'll make it all better. I'll fix all this. I barely think enough to get back there. I am certainly not thinking of stealth or problems I could get into being in that locker room.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

Whatever magical discharge just went off left me on my back a few feet away from the melee.

Heliotrope posted:

"So, uh, when does she turn back?"

"When its dead!" I say defiantly as I hop to me feet, prepare to leap back at the wolf creature and... scream out in pain and convulse to the ground. After a few agonizing moments I scramble to my feet again, reel back to throw a punch but before I can even swing what feels like lightening shoots up and down my arm and I fall to my knees in pain. In frustration I try to scream out an obscenity but something invisible gags me before the word gets out which sounded something like, "ShiiiiiIIIIEEEAUUGHH!"

Some seconds more and I can breath again and I spend a long moment taking a few greedy breaths of air before finally looking back up, "Well then," I say aloud. It's at this moment I begin to really ponder Hazel's question, "Wait, how do you know it's a she?" I say before trailing off. I finally comprehend Hazel's cry for Alisha as he was mauled; he wasn't calling out to her for help, he was telling her to stop! That could only mean one thing, something that rocked me to my core, something that I dreaded saying aloud,

"Abel Hunt was actually right abut something!?"

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 25, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Lisa: You don't quite make it to the girl's dorms, but that rear end in a top hat backstabber isn't following you. Instead, you run into Morgan Long - rich girl, spoiled, thinks she has some duty to help those less fortunate, but doesn't have a goddamn clue what the difference is between helping and harping, and she refuses to leave you alone until you tell her what's wrong, so she can 'help' you. What do you tell her?

Damien: The girl's locker room is... well, it's a room you're not supposed to be in, but nothing aside from that looks particularly out of the ordinary. Whatever Lisa did in here is going to take some searching to find... and there's a class on at the moment; one that judging by the clock on the wall is close to finishing. What do you do?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 25, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Hot: -1, Cold: 2, Volatile: 1, Dark: -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Terrified, Chew Toy
-----

Chains made of light, hissing against my skin like branding irons. I sat down hard, staring at the burns in shock. Were they real? I... I couldn't tell.

Did Hazel just cast a magic spell? He was the one the curse was warning me about! This was the trap!

I met Alisha's eyes. It was doing the same thing to her. It HURT, and it was settling in under my skin like some kind of horrible barbed wire.

Jacob jumped at Alisha but the chains had him too and he couldn't hit her. Was that it? No violence? But why did it hurt so much... Jacob didn't seem to be in pain, neither did Alisha.

"Nnn." I said. I couldn't actually open my mouth. gently caress. Fuuuuuck. It's because I'm dead isn't it? I'm a dead wrong thing and violence is all I'm good for.

gently caress you Hazel.

My curse was fighting his, but it wasn't winning. Not now, when it was fresh and new and still echoing in the air. I'd need time to fight it off. Hurts. Hard to think... Make it stop let me out please I can't think I'm trapped I'm trapped it's too hard make it stop-

----
Holding Steady in the face of being magically constrained: 2d6+2 = 5. :ohdear:

mistaya fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 25, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Problem Student]

Morgan unnecessarily, annoyingly, wish-she-hadn'tigly intercepted me to try and find out what was wrong when I was just starting to make my way past the picnic tables, and despite my best efforts (well efforts, I don't feel like I have best anything right now) she won't loving leave me alone, so I'm sitting at a picnic table with her sitting next to me. I can tell I'm a mess, so I've propped my bag up in front of me and buried my face in my jacket sleeves. She keeps trying to coax what happened out of me, but that's not ever going to happen for three reasons.

One - She doesn't loving care about me. It wouldn't matter who I am, she'd be trying to help me - but not because I'm me. There's nobody who'd give a poo poo because it's me except maybe my parents, and parents have to care, so it doesn't even count, and my little brother, who's six so again doesn't count. I just want someone to care about the me that's different from everyone else.

Two - She's probably in on the joke too. It can't just be the drama kids. I can't trust anyone, because they're all humans. I'm more a Faerie than anything, I want to be, I want to live there and just leave this dumb Earth. None of them have EVER been as cruel to me as Damien. So if I tell her anything, she'll probably just go blab to him how upset I am by everything. I'm not gonna let him know that.

Three - Even if I could trust her, and she did actually care about me, there's still a lot of stuff I wouldn't be able to explain. The Faeries want me to keep them secret, so I'm going to. So how would I explain seeing Damien and that blonde bitch in the stone? So I'd have to lie a ton. I'm not like loving Damien, I don't lie to people that aren't teachers or parents. So, I don't give a poo poo how much she wants to know what happened.

My voice is still strained, it's obvious I've been crying. Am crying, to tell you the truth. I don't know why though - I'm just mad now. Not sad anymore. Not at all sad. "Morgan... please! Just, I can't talk about it right now, please just... lemme go to my room. I'm having a really lovely day, I just - wanna be alone. If you won't leave me alone... I'm, I'm... gonna start yelling or something, I can't talk about it right now!"

Manipulate Morgan: 2d6+2 8
Motive: Let Lisa go up to the dorms, in exchange for Lisa not starting to yell / cause a scene.

Ughh, I should delete Damien outta my phone.

Oh! Better yet! I'm just gonna wait a while, then pretend to be over it and ask if he wants to be my friend again, but I'll make him promise stuff, and since he's a liar he'll agree to the promises, and then I'll just use Faerie magic to gently caress his life up when he breaks them.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 25, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
DARKEST SELF
Hot +1, Cold -1,Volatile +2, Dark 0
Harm 2/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Meddler, Shadowed, Terrified

(okay so Hazel's a spellcasty... thingy

I'm done, gimme the driver's seat)

Since Alisha has hurt Hazel, who she cares about(!), Darkest Self ends.

Let me describe what turning back is like, in my own words.

"AAAAWWWOOOOAAAAAUUUGGGGHFUCKINGSHITDICKSFUCKASSOWOW OW OW FUUUUCK"

That, basically. Plus, some gross stretchy noises and stuff. Being a werewolf is the absolute goddamn worst thing ever. At least I didn't roll in the mud this time.

Okay. Oookay. Naked in front of a bunch of boys. I'd need like six drinks for this to be okay in any way, shape or form. Right now, hahahahahahahaha nope. So, what to do? Can't hit them, sadly. Is the spell preventing swearing? What kind of puritan devised that spell? Hazel you're the loving worst. gently caress you. And Joel looks awful. I'm taking charge. And gently caress you spell, I'm gonna swear like a sailor.

"Okay, Jacob?" I point a finger at him. "If you ever say anything nice about Abel Cu- ow, again, nobody will find your body! We've been fighting monsters for ages! I'm glad I can count on you to FUCKINNNGGGOW MURDER ME if things go wrong! Hazel!" Finger points to him. "I'm not dating you unless you take this shittynnng Catholic Bondage Spell or whatever the fuuuuck owowow off of us! This sucks and right now I'm gonna say you suck too! Also Joel does not look happy about it! As for you, Joel?"

...um. Well, he's in blinding loving agony, it looks like. Also, what do you say to the kid who called you a good wolfie and booped your nose?

"...we'll talk later. Like, much much later."

Shutting Jacob Down:
[09:04] (Delopolis) !r 2d6-1
[09:05] (Krysmbot) Delopolis, 12-1 = 11

Wave goodbye to a string!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson

All right, what now? A quick, panicked look at the clock tells me I don't have much time. There has to be something here. But there are so many lockers. I just start tugging at them at random, hoping to open one that will tell me something. I'm not sure what I'm expecting to find. What would explain this? I'm not really thinking at all really.

"Uncle Jack, please. You have to know something. What did she come to do here. It has to tell me something of what I did wrong."

"You shouldn't let her get to you like that. It's not your fault."

"Uncle Jack, PLEASE."

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+2 7 I'll take confusing and alarming

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

I glare at the wolf-creature as it changes back into its human form, preparing something scathing to say when I finally get a chance to look it in the eyes as an equal. However, something happens within me when I begin to see its monstrous form turn girlish. There is something inside me that goes deeper than my role as a destroyer of evil, a level 5 Krav Maga specialist, or even as a member of the Weissman family. You see, if there is nothing else you know about me you must understand this: I am a nice Jewish boy.

At that moment it doesn't matter that Joel is undead, that I witnessed something unspeakably evil over at the Hanging Bridge, that Hazel placed some sort of spell on the four of us, or even that Alisha is a werewolf. What matters to me at this moment is that there is a naked lady sitting in front of me.

Wasting no time, I bolt up and dutifully look away as my face turns beet red. After a moment's thought I feel this is not sufficiently chivalrous and make a point to turn fully away from Alisha. When she begins to berate me it only serves to further cement my current mental state. The generations of strong-willed women and nebbish men in my bloodline call out from the grave for me to cringe in the face of this assuredly deserved abuse. Well the women call, the men just sort of sheepishly whisper, "just go along with it, better not to rock the boat landsman."

As she finishes hurling her abuses I begin whimpering, actually whimpering this time, and my apology comes out like a stream, "I'mverysorrymissrobertsIactedverydisrespectfullytoyouandhopeyoullfinditinyourhearttoforgivemehereyou'reprobablycoldpleasetakemyshirtsorrysorry."

As I say this I side-step toward her unbuttoning my shirt, still making sure to look away. I stop a respectful distance from her, about six feet, and hold out my school shirt back in her direction. As I'm engaging in this self-degradation my eyes happen to meet Hazel's.

Turn On Hazel 2d6+2: 13 Take a String against Hazel.

I'd look away but I think it's safe to say at this point that I'm beyond shame.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 25, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

I can hear Alisha going off on everyone. With a bit of effort, I manage to get into a sitting position but man it hurts and oh my god she's naked look away.

"Uh, uh, well the thing is it should have just stopped physical violence from, er, you, Alisha. So the bad news is I have no fucaaa ow ow. I have no idea why it's doing that." I briefly glance over and Jacob's taking his shirt off to give to Alisha. Oh thank god this will be less awkward I suppose. Wait why am I focusing on Jacob gently caress poo poo I'm going to lie back down and face anywhere else. Where I see Joel freaking out.

"Oh shiaaaaagggh..." I grit my teeth. "What's wrong with him? It shouldn't be causing pain! Is it because he's dead? Or undead? Or whatever?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Harm 2/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Meddler, Shadowed, Terrified

"Who cares?" I take the shirt off of Jacob, and in a break from tradition, I don't care that he's shirtless. I'm mad at Hazel's dumb spell. I'm struggling now, the chains glinting into existence as I pull. I wanna punch something, bad! "Just... break... these..."

UNCONTAINABLE!
TheDeleter: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: TheDeleter, 5+2 = 7

Oh dear.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
-----

I can't make it stop please make it stop I can't move help someone please I can't it hurts-

Alisha's a girl again. Naked, pissed off, yelling. Jacob hands her his shirt. Embarrassed, apologetic, wilting. Hazel looks down at me. Confused, curious... afraid?

stop stop stop just stop MAKE IT STOP-

My curse reacted, protecting me. Live and live and live, no matter the cost.

My heart stopped.

Seconds ticked by. I stopped breathing too. My body relaxed, and everything -finally- stopped. The pain was gone. The chains were still there, but I wasn't alive to feel them anymore. I looked up at Hazel. "You. rear end in a top hat." I said. I felt a twinge run through my corpse as the hex tried to punish me for swearing but pain couldn't touch me now.

I could see things, dancing at the corners of my vision. Things about Hazel, Alisha, Jacob. I was afraid to look too closely at those, but there were things about me too. Things I couldn't afford not to know.

Gazing into the Abyss: 2d6-1 = 9. The visions are confusing and alarming.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Forest Crew: Alisha strains, and strains, and… she can see, or smell, or both, the other links in these chains - leading to the others here in this clearing, and then some larger links that lead further away, further and further and further into the forest. She can break all of them, or none of them. But what else is bound by this spell?

Joel, there’s a cackling in your mind, and someone says “Feels good, doesn’t it, to feel nothing bad at all? No pain, no sorrow… what would you do to keep feeling like that? Would you hurt someone, until they begged you to stop? Do that tonight, or you’ll feel all this pain again and more.”

A vision comes to mind, of Damien, bloodied and sobbing, no more smugness, begging you to stop. It feels good.

Damien: “She’s not for you, my boy,” Uncle Jack says. “She walks in other worlds. Probably got tired of playing with you. Why are you still chasing her?”

Most of the lockers are locked, and those that aren’t are empty, until… you pull open one, and darkness fills it, like a mist, spilling out now that you’ve opened the door. There’s a high-pitched keening coming from within, and as you peer in…

You see Lisa dancing, in a forest - except the trees are bones, their leaves human ears, the fruit they bear are gigantic spiders, watching her skip merrily along, watching her giggle gleefully. Partway through her dance, she slows, and stops, and looks at you. “You shouldn’t be here. You mustn’t be here! Get out of here!” She shrieks at you, face twisting into a hateful snarl. She’s advancing towards you, what do you do?

Lisa: Hesitantly, Morgan lets you go, but not before she reaches over to clasp one of your hands. “Please, I want to help. Tell me how I can. You know where my room is when you’re ready to talk…”

Nothing else stands between you and your room. What do you do?

---

In addition, I'm going to say we're moving into a new scene now, because this one went on longer than I thought. Because it's the third scene, I'm going to treat it as a new session, which means new highlights!

Lisa choose a highlighted stat for Jacob
Jacob choose a highlighted stat for Alisha
Hazel choose a highlighted stat for Joel
Alisha choose a highlighted stat for Hazel
Damien choose a highlighted stat for Lisa
Joel choose a highlighted stat for Damien

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Problem Student]

"Ok... I'll talk to you about it, later. For now, just... wanna be by myself." I really don't want to talk to Morgan about it at all, but it's easier to just agree to it so I can get to bed. I'll worry about it later. It's not far from the picnic table to the girl's dorms, and so it doesn't take me that long to maneuver throughout the building to get to my room.

-----

It's times like this that I really don't appreciate that this isn't my room. It's just a room I'm living in. My actual room has posters and my artwork everywhere, plus I've painted the walls and there's lots of pictures I've taken, and I have a TV. Here, I have... a few books I brought from home, my laptop, and stuff for assignments I haven't bothered looking at stuffed into one of my desk drawers. There's no cat hair anywhere - definitely NOT my room. I miss my room, and my cat, really bad right now. Why'd I have to get sent to this stupid place? Really glad my window looks out towards the woods. One good thing about this room, I guess.

First things first - I want to listen to music, like right now. So, I fiddle around with my laptop, turning on iTunes and all that stuff until I get my Pixies Playlist going. After that, it's time to change outta this uniform into actual clothes. Having to wear uniforms is definitely one of the worst parts about this place, alongside irritating teachers and an actively evil and malevolent drama club. So, t-shirt, jeans, and jacket it is. I briefly debate calling mom or dad, but there's not point. I'm sure they're both at work, and by the time either of 'em would get back to me, I'll have thought better about wanting to talk to them. I do text Joel though. I may not be going with Damien (obviously) but I am definitely still going to the party tonight. And since I won't be hanging out with Damien ever again, my evening just kind of opened up between the end of my nap and the party.

Txt to Joel posted:

Wanna hng out b4 party? My day = poo poo so far, need fun 2 feel better.

After that I just sort of collapse onto the bed, hoping I'll be able to fall asleep but mostly just staring up at the ceiling, watching the light and shadows slowly change. I keep hearing everything Damien said to that drama girl, it's hard to sleep when you're thinking about someone you trusted laughing about how gullible and stupid you are. I can't decide between asking the Faeries for help in getting revenge on him, or just avoiding him and those other jerks completely. I'm sure I'll do something to get expelled eventually, I shouldn't worry about making friends here, right? Of course that doesn't mean I'm not gonna deal with my enemies. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but if Damien and them think they're going to get away with having treated me like this, they're totally mistaken. I have magic powers, and while I'm normally really nice about it, it's about time I put 'em to good use.

So I just lay on top of the covers for a while, fighting a losing battle to try and focus more on the music and being calm than on my heartache and simmering rage.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 26, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson

"No, no. She's my friend Uncle Jack. Friends... friends can fight sometimes right? Then they make up. Friends fight and then they make up." I talk desperately even as I'm opening lockers one by one. And then, I open one and see that... vision. I scream and slam the locker shut. Then I run. I run away as hard as I can.

What's happening? I did something to Lisa that I can't remember or I don't understand, now I see things like this? Am I going crazy? Did I do something horrible but am I just too hosed in the head to even notice it? Is that's what's happening?

Uncle Jack would tell me I'm not, but he's just the voice I often speak with. And who sometimes helps me by taking stuff or pushing people. No, no calm down, don't loving lose it or you'll end like your mother in some hospital and they'll just pump drugs in you until you're just a zombie walking endless circles in some nuthouse drooling and filling diapers. Just calm the gently caress down

Run Away: 2d6-1 2

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Harm 2/4 | Experience +1/5 | Conditions: Meddler, Shadowed, Terrified

What else is bound? Who the gently caress cares?

I yank, hard, and the chains shatter into motes of golden light, the tiny explosions cascading down to the boys and through the chains leading into the forest. But who cares about them? Not me because I'm freeeeeeee, free of Hazel's dumb spell. I stare right at him, hair blown about by the force of the chains breaking, half-naked, amd grinning in triumph.

Oh yeah. I'm awesome.

Turn Hazel On:
[07:02] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6+1
[07:02] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 6+1 = 7

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Harm 2/4 | Experience +1/5 | Conditions: [Terrified] [Drained]

As Alisha rends the magical chains apart in what I can only assume is both a terrifying and arousing display I feel my own loosen and fade.

"Cock?" I venture. I pause for a moment and let my mild curse soak in. Maybe the curse thought I was talking about a rooster? I then decide to test my hypothesis with a, "poo poo." Still nothing. I feel no tightening whatsoever. With confidence and a smile I offer up, "Dickpissfuckdamn!"Truly freedom is sweet.

Yet if her actions freed me then the others are probably out from under Hazel's influence as well. Without starting up another brawl or encouraging everyone to tell their best rendition of "The Aristocrats" I can't be sure. Still, it wouldn't make sense for Alisha's actions to free the two of us and nothing else. This should be a good thing, right? The magic binding us was broken and we weren't still killing each other. Then why was it that I felt so uneasy?

One. Two. Three. Four... Five!

Hazel cast this spell within at least a mile or two of that bridge. That thing was rippling with power, if Hazel accidentally tapped into it when he cast his spell...

Or it tapped into him.

Oh,

gently caress.

Oh G-d, I gotta see what damage we just did! What Alisha just freed.

You have to know.

I slowly turn my head back toward Alisha so that I can see her but I'm only looking at her with one eye.

But not your eye, son of Malka.

And then I ask her and eternity in more voices than my own,

What have you done?

Gazing into the Abyss 2d6-1: 6 spending a string on Alisha for +1 = 7 - visions are lucid and detailed but they leave you with the Condition drained.

Adding Exp for using Dark.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 26, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

I watch in fascination as Alisha begins actually straining against the magical bonds and before I can say anything she loving breaks all of them holy poo poo is that even possible? And then she stares at me and I can not think of a single thing to say.

Alisha takes a String against Hazel

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

"What have I done? I broke his dumb spell, that's what! Can't contain me!"

I flex a bit. Cos why not.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
-----

I heard the voice in my head. A woman's voice, the same from the bridge and my dreams. Trying to threaten me... make me into something I wasn't. Did she think that was going to work? And why show me Damien? Because of Lisa? I... cared about Lisa. Right? I think that's right.

I wasn't afraid, or even angry. I wasn't... anything. Numb. I didn't like being numb. I could tell that much. I'd begged for the pain to stop and it had, and I... I wasn't happy but I knew it was a good thing. It WAS a good thing. Yes. There was a buzzing in the back of my brain where the pain was, so I knew it was still there. I would have to do something, make it stop so I could go back to... I frowned. Was acting like I was still alive normal or just something I'd been doing because I didn't know there was another way? I looked at my hands. They were cold and pale. My blood wasn't pumping anymore. It didn't need to. Everything I'd been doing was just an act. A lie, and not even a very good lie.

Then Alisha broke the chains.

The buzzing stopped. The voice was gone. I stood up, no longer bound by Hazel's spell. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. Right, no air. Inhale first.

"If you ever do that again." I said to Hazel. Stop. Inhale. "I'll kill you."

My voice didn't sound right. Dull, lifeless. Absolutely certain.

----
Shutting Down Hazel: 2d6+2 = 10! Giving him the condition: "Threatened"
Joel's very clearly off here, he's gone white as a corpse and he's not blinking or breathing. I'll resolve it later if no one does something to help counteract this.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Harm 0/4 | Experience 5/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Problem Student]

This ceiling sure is boring.

Ugghhhh. So clearly I'm not gonna be able to take that nap I want. I sit up in bed, rub my eyes, and do all the usual motions and mannerisms associated with waking up. Maybe if I pretend that I'm just now waking up, I'll feel better. Kinda a placebo affect thing. My playlist ended, so I was laying there for at least forty minutes.

What's irritating (ok, one of several very irritating things) is that I've gotten no response from Joel. Is he still in class or something? I tap out another quick message. And then two more.

Txt to Joel posted:

Yo Joel u alive? Wanna hang out???

Txt to Joel posted:

Am super bored!!!

Txt to Joel posted:

If u r with Damien, tell him he sucks dicks.

And a minute or so later, still nothing. Man, today is poo poo.

Not wanting to leave my room yet, or do any dumb internet browsing, leaves me without that many options to entertain myself. Guess I'm gonna just stare out the window for a while. Watching the autumn leaves blow and sway on the trees, imagining the calls of the woodland critters... the woods always remind me of Faerie. I think they must be the parts of the world that haven't forgotten them quite yet. And I swear I can almost make out some pattern in the leaves...

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+1 6

Marking XP, selecting Lure as my first advance.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 3/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Apathetic, Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

I slowly attempt to stand up. I stumble a bit, and have to hold onto a nearby tree. I just nod at Joel to show him I heard and understand him, because dear god I do not want to set him off right now. What the gently caress happened to him? Was it the spell going wrong, or would that have happened if I had intentionally targeted him and it worked? gently caress, I don't know and right now I just want to get out of these woods.

"I think I need to go to the hospital," I mutter as I start staggering away. I have no idea what I'm going to tell the people there, but to hell with it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

"Woah, hey, no, you're not going anywhere like that." I go after Hazel and grab his shoulders, gently but firmly. "What the hell are you gonna say when you get there? Because nobody's going to believe this poo poo, by the way."

Siiiigh. I'm gonna go the party with this guy? He better shape up, cos last time I checked Jacob had a nicer butt. Oh, wait Jacob tried to kill me. And Joel's dead. At this rate I'm gonna end up going to the party with either Damien (hahaha no) or Abel (HAHAHAHAHA gently caress no). And I am NOT going on my own. Let's... let's keep it together.

"Look, guys," I turn to Jacob and Joel, make sure they hear this too. "I've been a werewolf for, like, ages. I've got a change of clothes and some first aid stuff stashed near the entrance of the woods. It probably won't, you know, magically heal you, you'll need proper first aid after I guess. But you won't bleed out between then and now. Okay? Okay. Come on, all of you. You all look awful."

I gently but forcefully (because I'm in charge damnit) guide Hazel towards where I'm 90% sure I've stashed my werewolf survival kit. It's pretty sad that I need them, but after spending a good thirtieth or something of my life as a furry ball of idiocy, I've had to learn to deal with it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

"I wasn't going to say it was a werewolf attack obviously," I say as she starts guiding me wherever. Well, at least she's prepared. I guess. But suddenly, I remember why I ran here. Oh gently caress. The vision - was it Alisha attacking River? This is going to be awkward to ask about god drat.

"So, uh, how often does...this happen to you? I mean, if you have these kits around...do you use them that much?"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Alisha+Hazel: So, off to go find a cache you go. What do you talk about on the way? Where has Alisha hidden her cache so nobody can find it?

Jacob: There were other things in this town, and the forest beyond, that were forcibly held docile by this spell - or one like it, at least. You can see a chain-link stretching all the way back to the school, down into the gym, where the P.E. teacher, out of breath again, glares at a wall… and then the chains wrapped around him shatter. It takes him a moment to realise, and then Mr. Baines leaps across the length of the gym in a single bound, and lets out a whoop of relieved laughter. He grins, and his teeth are all fangs. Take Drained

When you look back at reality, you notice Joel’s weirder than usual. What do you do?

Joel: While all this is going on, your phone is buzzing like crazy, but you and Jacob are alone now - maybe not for long, given how he was looking at Alisha. What do you do?

Damien: Some Thing takes a string on you. Mocking laughter follows you as you flee the locker room, echoing in your mind long after you’ve left the room. Who do you run into that you think can help you make things right with Lisa?

Lisa: While you’re waiting for a reply from Joel, you get a text from Kimmy ‘u ok? haven’t see u snce class’. What do you say to her in reply?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

Huh, you learn something new every day. I'll definitely have to do something about that before someone gets hurt. I look around to tell my... are any of these people still friends with me? In any case it looks like they left while I was away. Not everyone, Joel was still here. And he looks rough, rougher than usual. In hindsight I guess I wasn't the only one having a rough day... poo poo has it really only been a day?

I let out a deep sigh and begin ambling over toward Joel. I initially think to sit next to him and throw my arm around his shoulder. However, I think better of it when I remember that the last time I did that it was in preparation for murdering him. Instead I pick a large rock right across from him and have a seat, grunting in pain like an old man as I do.

I try to say something as I do but for the life of me I can't think of anything. I stifle out some half-hearted greeting but I stop partway and make a face. I bite my lip and look down at my feet. After a moment I look back up, my face pained,

"I hosed up, didn't I?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Terrified, Chew Toy
-----

"We all hosed up." I said. My pocket was buzzing again. The phone had gone off a few times now but I hadn't had a chance to look at it before. I took it out.

Lisa.

She was really upset. Something Damien did? But he followed her around like a puppy, that didn't make any sense. I remembered that I wanted to go to the party, but I couldn't go like this. I needed to turn the act- the LIE- back on. But I didn't know how to do it by myself.

text to Lisa posted:

Sorry, I skipped class. Gimme half an hour and I can meet you someplace. Where do you want to go?

"Jake... I need a favor." I said, putting the phone away. There was no really polite way to ask this. "Do you know CPR? I... I did something to make the pain stop and I don't know how else to fix it."

I undid the buttons on my shirt. Which was about the point that I noticed Jacob was also shirtless.

I could feel the awkward even through the numbness.

---
Whoever highlighted hot for me this is your fault. Turn On Jacob: 2d6-1 = 2. Marking Experience.
Picking up "Take the Blow" off the Chosen's sheet for my Advancement.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

"One a month," I say glumly as we pick our way through the forest. "It's like having two periods. Although when I transform and there's a moon out, I'm more... in control of myself. I just wait it out, or go into the woods for a bit."

That's as much as I'm gonna tell him. I'm not gonna bother him with stuff about my parents or that. Not worth the time. The cache is under Old Stumpy - a rotting tree stump that's got a face on it. Kids are horrified by that thing, and everyone else thinks it's the lamest landmark in existance, which makes it perfect to hide stuff. There's a little rabbit burrow under him that's been abandoned, so I hide a bunch of first aid stuff and clothes there for when I wolf out.

"So... How long you been doing magic? And are you seriously dressing up as a witch? That's... kinda blunt."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Harm 0/4 | Experience 5/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Shadowed] [Problem Student]

The Great Text Drought ends, and suddenly both Kimmy and Joel have messaged me. That's... two of the three people in Madison whose phone numbers I have. Kimmy wants to know what's wrong, and Joel's down to hang out before the party. Only fair that I respond to them in order.

Kimmy first - it's cool that she messaged me. I was afraid I was maybe a little too, I dunno... condescending? This morning. Glad not. Cool. So I'll invite her to hang out with us.

txt to Kimmy posted:

no, bad day :( hanging w joel 1 hour, u wanna join? will b fun!
Next up it's Joel. We haven't really hung out that much, but it was fun that one time, and he's been pretty nice if a little quiet since then. So, maybe if I get some caffeine or sugar in him, he'll be more talkative?

txt to Joel posted:

uh, coffee shop? + near graveyard which = ^_^. They hv smoothies 2!
Really it's just a cheap smoothie machine, like one step above an Icee dispenser, but their mochas are inexplicably good and they have chocolate muffins with chocolate chips, and I haven't had anything to eat or drink today but half a soda. Then I realize I should advertise to Kimmy where we're going too. Plus it looks like I told her the wrong time. Whoops.

txt to Kimmy posted:

o yah coffee shop n 30 min
Then I text Joel to make certain it's cool Kimmy comes, since I didn't do that earlier and probably should've.

txt to Joel posted:

Kimmy coming 2, cool with u???
Well this is shaping up to maybe be pretty awesome. Way better than laying around here moping more.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 27, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

"Not too long really. About a year or so?" I probably shouldn't tell her the costume was just an excuse to get my hands on the books in the library. "Well, like I said before I'm not really putting a lot of effort into it. And I guess it was like, a private joke or something." Wow that sounds loving dumb. But now I'm probably going to have to ask more pointed questions and hope she doesn't get too angry.

"And have you ever lost control this way? Or...hurt someone? I mean, I'm pretty sure there haven't been reports of a wolf attacking people so I figured not. But it looks like you can transform at any time." I pause to gauge her reaction.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

I perk up at Joel's question. Finally I have a chance to be useful again.

"Sure thing man, my mom taught me that stuff with general first aid as a kid."

I weave my fingers together and crack my knuckles, "You just lie down and let me make you feel better," I say with a smile. As he does so I try to clear away some of the sharper looking rocks and twigs so he at least has something comfortable to lie down on. When he's on the ground I kneel down beside him and carefully place my ear on his chest. I recoil slightly at the cold and am instantly reminded of our situation. I put my ear back down though and get a listen.

"Looking pretty good for a guy with a zero over zero heart rate," I say, my head still on his chest, "but I guess even you need it to be pumping, huh?"

He doesn't respond, likely still deep in thought. I withdraw my head from his chest and straighten back up. I shake my fingers lose for a second before I place my hands on his chest. I wait till I get eye contact with Joel and start pushing down into him.

"So, I guess it's only fair that I help get this started again," I say between pumps, "What with the fact that I tried to stop it earlier." I laugh nervously but stop after I realize how hosed up a thing that was to say. I look up and away from Joel, embarrassed.

I stay silent for a little while, the only sounds being those of the forest and my own occasional grunts from my efforts. After a while I glance back toward Joel.

"I thought my friend," I say impassively, "I thought what I saw in that bathroom was what killed you... that something was desecrating your body."

I begin to grimace.

"I thought I was avenging you," I say and my voice begins to crack, "but really I guess I was just killing you all over again."

I stop the compression and lift up Joel's chin. I have long since stopped focusing on the task at hand and gone into autopilot. I'm doing a routine not adapting to the situation. I move my face down to his and when mere inches separate our faces I open my mouth,

"Whoops," I whisper, "I guess you wouldn't need this part?"

Turn On Joel 2d6+2: 7

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Terrified, Chew Toy
-----

I just let him talk, listening to his voice and the little gasps of air that came out when he compressed my chest. I don't think he realized I couldn't answer him while he was doing this. The thing was... it wasn't working. One-two-three. Nothing. One-two-three. Nothing.

Necroskowitz posted:

"Whoops," I whisper, "I guess you wouldn't need this part?"

thump THUMP- thump THUMP-

I put both my hands on his, holding them over my heart. They were so warm. I took a real, ragged breath again and then the tears started and I squished my eyes shut but there was no way he hadn't seen them. The empty dull feeling was gone and I was ME again, for better or worse. "Thank you." I whispered.

I thought I would feel self-conscious but Jacob didn't seem to be and for some reason I wasn't either. I sat up, not bothering to redo my buttons. I wasn't cold anymore.

"I've been dead since before we met. At first I thought... well, maybe I could use what you knew to learn more about what happened to me. I don't make a lot of friends. My family's always moving so it always seemed kinda pointless. But I like what you do, fighting things and helping make it safe for people here. I want to be part of that. Even if... if I'm a thing too."

I looked up, right into his eyes. "I don't know how this works, Jake. I'm still here for now but in a year? In five years? I don't want to end up like one of the things in your books. I just..." I took a breath. "I'll tell you if I start slipping. I need you to trust me on this. If it happens, we'll figure it out. OK?"

I laughed a little. "You know, I thought you'd hate me when you found out." I could feel my cheeks turning red. "No one's ever said they'd avenge me before."

----
Joel makes a promise, that he won't hide it if he starts to lose control.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson

I run into Kimmy. Quite literally, she was just turning a corner texting, and I'm mostly freaking out at that vision,so there's a collision and we both go to the floor. It's enough to knock me out of the panic. A quick look back shows me that nothing is following me. Was there ever? (Paranois schizophrenia. Dissociative identity disorder. I've been going through enough loving shrinks to know those words mean.) I take a breath and help her up.

"Ah, sorry... I..." my voice is a bit broken, and I realize I probably look like poo poo. Then, I realize. Kimberly is Lisa's friends. Maybe she knows, or maybe she can find out what I did wrong? "Oh Kimmy. Could you... Did Lisa mention anything I did? I... I think I hosed up somewhere, but I don't know how. Could you... ask her? And ask what I can do to make it right? I'll do anything." I stop myself. I'm sounding desperate, pleading even if it's all second hand.

Manipulating Kimmy: 2d6-1 9: What do I need to do to have Kimmy check what I did that made Lisa angry on me, and what I can do to make it right.[/i]

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

"Um.. well, there was that time when I was a kid when I wrecked this mean girl's treehouse, but she deserved it." I shrug. "And Abel got preachy at me once, so I turned and knocked him off his bike and now he thinks I'm Satan. But I've never hurt anyone - well, until now, I guess. And I've never bit anyone. I wouldn't wish this poo poo on anybody."

Ah, here's Old Stumpy. I sit Hazel down on top (sorry, mutant tree), and root around until I find the bag. Clothes for me, medkit for him. Not exactly candles and wine, is it?

"Okay, just sit there." I flash him a smile. "I'll take care of you."

Medkit open, let's go. Shirt - off. Bandages across the wounds on his chest, antiseptic on the scratches on his arms, one or two band-aids, more bandages on his chest, I'm half-naked and he's shirtless, oh man...

"Not often this happens, huh?" I give him a cheesy grin, and feel like an idiot almost immediately.

Turn Hazel On
12:18 WorkDel !r 2d6+1
12:18 Krysmbot WorkDel, 2+1 = 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 4+1/5 | Conditions: Apathetic, Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

"Um, not often I need this much medical attention no. But, uh, thanks." Boy this feels awkward. "Uh, okay, now how about you? Jacob did that crazy elbow drop on your back, do you need me to, uh, attend to that?" Why does this sound so awkward. "Or-hang on, wow he really bites hard. Let me help you with that." I take some of the antiseptic and slowly rub it on her nose, before applying a bandage. "Sorry if this hurts."

Turn Alisha On: 2d6-1 9

Marking 1 XP for rolling Hot, which grants me an advance

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread