Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Hot +1, Cold -1,Volatile +2, Dark 0
Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Meddler

WHAT THE loving poo poo

I wake up on the floor. Five minutes have passed. The text from Lizze is still up on my phone.

What the gently caress. What the loving gently caress. What? What?? What - Oh god, I think I might hurl. What was that poo poo? I don't... was... oh gently caress...

Hold Steady
TheDeleter: !r 2d6-1
Krysmbot: TheDeleter, 7-1 = 6
TheDeleter: oh for gently caress''s sake krysmbot

Spending a string on Damien to boost it to 7. I choose to just keep my cool.

Oh god, okay, get the gently caress up. You know for a fact that Jacob might have problems but he wouldn't loving... do that. That's bullshit. He's a monster hunter, not a dumbass. This is some kind of hosed up ghost or demon or something, trying to get to me. God, why did I move to Maine? I am regretting every single time I've read It. I better not end up fighting a giant spider. I'll just... quit if that happens. Think. Party. Hazel is there. Joel is there. Jacob is there. That's more than enough. I'm gonna tell them. If there's a lovely pervert ghost out there threatening me with dog collars and killing my date, I'm gonna find it, and shove my foot so far up its ghostly rear end it'll taste mud. Cross these streams, bitch.

I sit up, grab the phone and slam a text through to Lizzie.

quote:

sorry about leavin u hangin bae ;) weird noise in forest sounds familiar, saw rebecca tearing rear end through there bawling her eyes out. maybe got scared by her own shadow lol. u at the party?

The greatest part is that it's technically true.

Now, booze for the party. Like Jacob, I've got a loose floorboard. It doesn't lead to a kickass armory, though. It leads to my stash of Jack Daniels. I gotta have a vice. I take two - no, three bottle, and wrap that up in a plastic bag. Spend some time making my hair look less like poo poo. Touch of makeup. Good to go. Then I text Hazel.

quote:

yo hazelelel, wanna meet up yet? bringing some whiskey for the party :)

God, I'll need that whiskey. Maybe Lisa's brought some drugs or something too. I've never taken any shrooms or poo poo, but the way this day is going I'm gonna need some.

I don't wait for Hazel's reply. I just pick up my bag of booze and my handbag, and stroll out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson
Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 5/5

I talk to Uncle Jack on my way over there. "All right, uncle Jack. We're going to deal with this lying piece of poo poo." I look at my shadow, but no answer. He's quiet again. I wonder what's going on. It happens sometimes. I guess he's got to learn about all these things sometimes? Anyway, I don't need his help for this. I pass by the bathroom to make sure I'm cleaned up. I can't look too angry or upset, or she might start to suspect something is up. Just play a long for a bit, until you get your hands on those papers. But not in school. She's got the advantage here.

I open the door and see her alone and give her a smile. "Hey, Joan." I say. "Hope Laura didn't give you too much poo poo? She does seem angry about the theater thing. My eh... my afternoon kind of freed up, so I thought I'd come see if you need any help? Already a bit hungry to be honest" Play it cool. Don't go straight for the script, just play it cool, but see if we can have her go to the restaurant now. I can't wait to see the look on her face when I tell her I'm onto her. "So, what role are you playing? It might just influence my decision, just a bit."

Turn on Joan: Turn on Joan: 2d6-1 7 Turn on, give herself to me, give me something she thinks I want

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Hot: -1, Cold: 2, Volatile: 1, Dark: -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Terrified, Chew Toy
----

Yeah or we could NOT rob a liquor store while you handle the part that doesn't have jail time attached to it, Lisa. She was joking right? (I don't think she was joking.)

"If you're that desperate we can probably raid my old man's cabinet as long as we don't go too crazy." I said. It's dusty, well stocked, and mostly used for regifting anyways. My parents don't drink often. I don't plan to tonight either, I don't want to get drunk and end up eating someone. "There's that greek-taco place, maybe they have salsa?"

They're good plans but at the same time it feels like something's missing. Going to the woods at night to get drunk and eat chips while other people make out just doesn't sound like a good time to me. Especially if it's these two. Making out. With each other.

Fffffffffffff.

Maybe I should just stay home and play video games.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 3
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Apathetic, Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

So I'm going to have to practically babysit River. Okay. That's...going to be a bit difficult to pull off without her wondering what's up. But several people might be able to make sure she doesn't wander off or get targeted, right? And Alisha and those other two apparently do this kind of stuff. I have to go ahead and talk to Alisha about it, ask for her help. Feels kinda weird to just openly talk about magic and monsters and visions and poo poo, but I mean...also kind of nice. I start standing up, when I remember what happened before I got the vision. She was also outside, and tried to deflect my question with "Er, I had… just some business, you know?" Now I wondering if it was just regular business, or - poo poo, I really really hope she's not involved in anything. I could look, and then either I'm prying into something she'd like to keep private or finding out she tied into all this. Kind of a lose-lose here. Well, gently caress. If I'm gonna lose, I'm going to go with the option that at least gives me more information. I turn back to the mirror, and focus. River, what were you doing outside? I can vaguely hear my phone buzz, but I ignore it for now.

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6+4 15 Includes +1 from Sanctuary

Choosing the visions are clear and lucid, and the visions cure me (removing Apathetic)

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Hot: 2, Cold: -1, Volatile: -1, Dark: 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 5/5 | Conditions: [Disappointment] [Problem Student]

"Oh yeah, your family lives in town." Joel raises a few good points, but I still prefer my plan. It's much more of an adventure - no one tells stories about the time they easily snuck a bottle or two of liquor from their parents. I check my phone for a msg from Kimmy - nothing so far - and then concede to Joel's alternate plan. "Yeah dude, your way's safer - no sense getting into too much trouble before the party." Not words I'd thought I'd ever say, but he's having a bad day. Might as well give him a win.

Oh! I snap my fingers to announce my sudden revelation. "Yo Joel! Kimmy should be coming tonight, and I don't think she's like, going out with anyone. You should ask her to go with you, you know to the party - I mean, the four of us will being going together, but Jacob asked me out so you should totally ask her. Whole tree-chaining thing aside, she's actually totally cool. I think she's cool, anyways." Maybe that'd cheer him up. Joel's cool, it's sucky he's having a sucky day. Also, I just announced out loud that I have a date to the party, which is pretty awesome and a good thing to hear said. Speaking of, actually...

My second drink is almost finished, and Jacob's is half-full. Maybe you can see where this is going. I reach out like I'm starting up a big yawn, and then grab his machiatto with ninja-like speed. I bring the straw up to my lips and take a long sip, staring Jacob down - challenging him to call me out on it, really, or at least act playfully annoyed - while doing so. It tastes good, but that's not really the point, is it? I just hope it looks good.

Turn On Jacob: 2d6+2 13

Rauri fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 30, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Hazel: At first, it's like you're there; just walking along a forest path, and then 'you' sigh, and you realize you're watching through River's eyes. She looks back over her shoulder, and you can see this path's led uphill, the school's rooftops visible still in the middle-distance. Continuing on, her path intersects with a stream, and a large, twisted willow tree, and once she stands in front of the willow, she kneels, mumbling a prayer in some other language. Clearly, it's one she's not familiar with, either, judging by the way she stumbles over the words... and the stream begins to shine.

Hastily, she draws something from her pocket, a locket - and you do remember hearing that some freshman girl had lost a family heirloom - and drops it in the stream, and it sings at her. The stream sings, deep and melodious. 'Soon,' it sings, 'you will have proven yourself, and be free to share in our miracles. Soon, nobody will lie to you again, or deceive you, or belittle you. We just need one more thing. From Jacob Weissman.' and in the shining stream, you see an item, a charm of some sort. 'Do this, tonight, and you will have proven yourself.'

And the vision ends. What do you do?

Damien: "I don't need help... but thanks for offering." She finishes what she's doing and turns to face you, smiling slightly. "Um... and thanks for coming to check on me. Lauren wasn't too angry, so... it wasn't so bad, this afternoon, at least. Where were you thinking of going? I can pay for the meal, to, you know, say thanks properly?" She turns a bit red as she speaks. She's promising something she thinks you want - going out to eat together

What do you do?

Cafe Crew: Kimmy is the last to arrive, and, uh... well, even her good buddy might have to admit that the animal rights activist is not exactly fashionable. She's tried, at least, but her colours clash, her sweater looks like the stereotypical 'knit by my grandmother for a christmas present' type, and her jeans have been worn so often they're ragged. She goes to take the last free seat, by Joel, and then just smiles nervously at everyone, like she has no idea what to do next.

What do you do, now that the gang's all here?

Alisha: 'lmao, rly? almost feel sry for her, reb's gunna be laughingstock lol. yeh, ill be @ party, c u there?'

Do you go anywhere before the burger joint?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

Of course. Of loving course it would be more weird poo poo. Goddammit. I jump up and grab my phone. I see Alisha sent a message, but I skim over it and immediately punch in her phone number. gently caress, this is going to be hard to explain. Also kind of puts a damper on the date wait why am I thinking about that.

"Alisha? Something really, really important just came up. Where are you?"

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Stats: Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: [Terrified][Drained]

My knee hits the underside of the table with a loud thump and I clear my throat loudly. The look Lisa gives me as she slurps makes me glad I'm not wearing basketball shorts. Still, just to be safe I scoot closer into the table.

However, as I see my precious Machiatto disappear into the seemingly endless recesses of Lisa Fayette an idea comes to mind. I grab the end of the straw closest to Lisa's mouth between my index and middle finger and pinch it, stopping the flow of coffee entirely. Then like a viper I snap into the straw's bended joint with my teeth and tear it away utterly. With my other hand I slide the coffee back over to me and leave Lisa with the top half of the straw still sticking out of her mouth. After I take a greedy sip from my liberated drink I stare the twee girl down and with a bit of a triumphant air I utter, "Mine."

Jake has his coffee and thus is no longer Drained.

As Kimmy enters I wave her over to the table. Maybe this can be my chance to make up for weirding out Joel earlier. "You wouldn't believe what this guy was doing earlier Kimmy," I say putting one arm around Joel's shoulder and pointing to him with another, "We're out taking a nature walk and what happens but a wolf attacks us! I'm scared, like really scared," I wave my free arm around for effect. I then adopt a look of mock seriousness, "But this guy just walks over and befriends it, calls it good doggy and gets it to think he's a member of the pack!" I look over toward Joel, a hopeful smile on my face, "He's a real animal whisperer!"

Manipulate Kimmy 2d6+2: 6 - Trying and failing to get Joel laid tonight.

"Well anyway, should we let Kimmy in on our caper?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

Well, I was planning on trying to hit a liquor store and use a fake ID or something. Then I remembered I don't have one of those. Instead I replay to Lizzie:

quote:

hell yeah, c u there

I was about to go to the park to kill some time and upset some ducks or something when Hazel rings.

"Oh, hey. I was heading to the burger shack. How important is this thing, and is it more important than the three bottles of whiskey I have?"

Ugh, it better not be more supernatural poo poo.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 30, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

"Hiya Kimmy!" I gave her a huge wave after she comes over, having (temporarily) lost the Machiatto War in the meanwhile. Pretty certain Jacob enjoyed his victory a little too much... yeah!

She sits down and Jacob explains how Joel apparently befriended a wolf. That's crazy! So, was that linked to him having a bad day or something, or is the story total bullshit? At the very least, it's the type of thing that Kimmy probably wants to hear. I feel really bad for her, she looks so lost, like she's not used to having friends at all! I've always been lucky and had my faeries, so I've never truely been friendless. It must be awful. So, I'm gonna go out my way to make her night better.

"Yeah, Kimmy, we're gonna grab some beer or liquor, either from Joel's house or the gas station. The plan's kinda up in the air right now, but whatever it is, we're gonna do it before the party, uh, obviously." Well that was a lame ending. Better segue to a more interesting topic. "So, yeah, we gotta go there. And then, so yeah..." I give Kimmy a big grin. "Uh, yeah, this guy over here," I point at Jacob like he isn't there, "Uh, asked me to the party." Hopefully she's not still worried about how I'm handling the whole Damien thing. I'm handling it by doing my best to not think about it at all.

"So, in theory, maybe..." I look at Joel expectantly, doing my best to convey "C'mon man, she's really awesome and it'd mean a lot to her," to him with just my eyes.

Spending a string to offer Joel an XP if he asks Kimmy to the party.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 30, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Terrified, Chew Toy
----

They're trying to set me up with Kimmy Candor?!

I thought these two were my friends. Or at least liked me. A little. And then Jacob went off on this... 'edited' version of what happened with Alisha earlier. Well fine then. Two could play at this game.

"It wasn't a wolf, Jake. It was just a stray dog. She was scared and needed a friend. It's not that complicated." I remembered something and smiled. "She scared the crap out of Rebecca, I mean who wouldn't like the fur-ball after seeing that."

Look I've said this. I don't hate Kimmy. I actually admire how driven she is. But Kimmy's kind of driven is the kind that goes off cliffs, she just doesn't think things through enough. She's always acted skittish, like she's sure everyone's just one step away from calling her names or only pretending to help her instead of actually helping her. I don't want to be another one of those people.

Lisa keeps giving me a look. I give her a look right back. You don't get to share straws with Jacob then ask me favors, Lisa. Still, I don't want to go alone if no one else is. I'd ask Alisha but she disappeared with Hazel and I was pretty sure they were already going together. Kimmy was better than nothing, at least I'd have someone to talk to when the traitors sneaked off later. I'd feel bad about saying that but as far as I knew she'd be thinking the same thing about me. I wasn't anybody's first choice, obviously.

"You guys can go rob the gas station if you want to but I'm going to head home for supplies in a few minutes." I said. "What do you think Kimmy, you want to go with me? No pressure, if you've got other plans."

----
Taking this xp under protest.
Against my better judgement I'm Turning on Kimmy: 2d6-1 = 9. (edited to make more sense)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 30, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

"Very important, and yes."

How do I explain this? Just start from the beginning and tell her everything about it, I suppose.

"So earlier during lunch I ran into my sister River who was also outside and while catching up I had a vision of her being chased and possibly killed by something in the woods during a full moon night and I kinda freaked and ran into the woods where I bumped into Rebecca and then you came out and there was that whole werewolf thing and at first I was worried the vision might be about you but then you said you generally don't lose control and also that you help Jacob fight monsters so that means it could really be anything apparently so while I was at home I tried to figure out a way to keep my sister safe and I need to make sure on that night she doesn't eat or drink too much or wander off alone and there's no way I can do that by myself so I think I need your guys' help but also with all the weird poo poo today I was wondering what she was doing outside and so I checked and it turns out she's taking items and giving it to something in a stream in the woods and whatever it is wants her to give it some kind of charm Jacob has by tonight so you should probably call him and let him know but also tell him not to hurt her."

I pause.

"Whiskey sounds really good, I think I'm going to need some."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

That... was a long run-on sentence. And more supernatural poo poo. Uuuuuugh. I seriously cannot deal with more bullshit right now. This day is turning out to be just the worst.

"Okay, I'll tell Jacob. Water spirits... sounds pretty Greek. Naiads and stuff? We'll do some research on it... tomorrow, probably. Figure out what to do. If your sister's got caught in some kind of deal we'll have to figure an escape clause or something. Don't worry, she'll be fine."

Hng. Great. TWO people to look out for. Joel the ticking zombomb and River "I-made-a-deal-with-a-fae" Grant. At this rate I'm just gonna knock everyone out to stop them doing stupid poo poo.

"We can talk more at the burger joint, if you like. It'll be pretty quiet right now. We can discuss some specifics - or, at least, what I remember from Jacob's books and poo poo. You coming?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Joel: The frumpy girl looks like she's about to melt in embarassment - if anything, she looks like she feels she's the one who got lured into a date-trap here. But hesitantly, she nods, and even manages a nervous smile. Promising something she thinks you want. "S-so... what are we going to do? What's with this g-gas station plan?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0+1/5 | Conditions: Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

I breath a sigh of relief. Hopefully things get better.

"Yeah, I'll start heading out. Be there soon."

And then, I don't know if it's because of this being a date or just being in this room of mine is making me more confident, but I add "I know things are pretty weird right now, but I can help make this night magical in other ways too."

Turn Alisha On: 2d6 9 includes +1 from Sanctuary

Marking XP from rolling Hot

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

I stop and burst out laughing. Jesus, Hazel! Putting it on thick, aren't you? But hey, you know what? Fine. I could do with ending my night on a high note.

"Hazel," I take a second to recover, then try again. "Okay, Hazel. I'll forgive you for that pun, but on two conditions. One, you bring me more booze for tonight, 'cause I plan to get hammered."

Is my grin... wolfish? I'd say it is.

"Two, I better not be able to walk straight tomorrow. You got that, big boy?"

Alisha gives herself to Hazel.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

I'm pretty glad we're talking over the phone, because my jaw drops for a second. Holy poo poo, I didn't think things would work out this great.

"Got it," I say. "See you soon." I even manage to sound calm over the phone. Wow. This has been the craziest day of my life, and there's still more to go. But things are gonna go great. I can feel it.

I exit the room, and head downstairs. I grab the few beers I had been planning on taking, and also get some vodka. I shuffle the other bottles closer to each other to hide the loss of a few bottles, and then put it all in a bag before heading out, locking the door, and setting off to go get burgers with Alisha.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 0/5

"Figured we'd head out to get some food from Tacqueria Sotiropoulos, and then go and eat it at the park? If we're gonna do reading we probably don't want too many people watching, right," I say, feigning some indifference. But the less people are around when I make my move, the better.

We go out together, talking about how much she likes acting, and she shouldn't eat too much because she's on a diet, and all the usual poo poo. And I'm just smiling and nodding and acting like I like her, all the while thinking of how this girl was ruining my friendship, so she could score points with that Laura bitch. I mostly listen, trying to make sure to know enough about her.

And then we sit at the park, and once we've eaten, she gives it to me. A blue binder with the papers neatly in. The script. And you know what. I couldn't care less about what's actually in it. I just stare at the front side and smile coldly. "Well, it's sure looking good for you, isn't it? I mean, a bit after our talk, Lisa, the one I was going with suddenly got angry at me. So my Halloween Night suddenly got open." I look at her. "See, apparently, someone's been telling her that the two of us are playing some joke on her. That I insulted her, that I faked being her friend." I put the binder in my backpack.

"So, I don't know if this is your idea, or if you're just following Laura's marching orders, and I don't give a poo poo. You are ruining my friendship with Lisa, and if you do that, I will ruin yours. So here's the deal. You go with me to Lisa, right. loving. now. And you tell her all those things were bullshit. That I never insulted her, and that it's just some loving bullshit cheerleader mindgame you shits are pulling or else... or else I'll ruin your 'friendship'. I'm sure Laura would be delighted to have the script of that play of hers ALL OVER facebook."

Manipulate Joan: 2d6-1 9 I'll use up the string to make it a 12.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

"Great. See you!"

gently caress. Yes.

---

The burger joint is trying too hard. It's plastered 50's bullshit all over the walls - route signs, superman comics, ads for Camel cigarettes - but at the end of the day, it's a truck stop. It's not the watering hole of choice for most - it doesnt serve as much alcohol and there's no Superbowl on the tv - but that just means it's a bit nicer for regular janes like me to hang out in. I take a table in the corner and stow the whiskey under my seat so I don't get awkward questions. It doesn't take long for Hazel himself to arrive, and I wave him over and put my filthiest grin on.

"Heyyy, Haaazelll." I am a demon and I know it. "Looking forward to the party?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

As I walk into the returant, I see Alisha waving and grinning. I wave back, and head over.

The Deleter posted:

"Looking forward to the party?"

"You know it," I say as I slide into my seat. "Should be good." I pick up a menu and look over at the choices. Okay, before we really start this date, just gotta get business out of the way.

"So, uh, what did Jacob say? About the," I look around. "You know." Not really anyone else here, but it'd still feel weird to just outright say it in public.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Joel: The frumpy girl looks like she's about to melt in embarassment - if anything, she looks like she feels she's the one who got lured into a date-trap here. But hesitantly, she nods, and even manages a nervous smile. "S-so... what are we going to do? What's with this g-gas station plan?"

"Oh!" I wish there was some sort of map on the table I could unfurl. They always have them in movies when discussing capers. "So yeah, we need beer but none of us have fakes, so I was gonna distract the guy at the liquor store slash gas station, and somebody else was gonna grab what we need and slip out while I keep the guy busy." Simple plan, right? But Joel was already not a fan, might as well hedge my bets a little. "We don't have to to do that though, if anybody has any better ideas."

I sip the remainder of my mocha down, feeling giddy and energetic for the first time today. Also feels like I gotta pee, but I'll hold it till we finalize the plan.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

"Oh, whoops. poo poo. Gimme a sec."

I pull out my phone and dial Jacob. Hope he's not in the middle of something important. Who am I kidding, he's probably doing stupid save-the-world-kid poo poo. Like, I dunno, meditating. Or playing video games.

I don't actually know what Jacob does.

"Hey," I say, when he picks up (OOC: or I hit his answer phone). I keep my voice low. "Quick chat. Hazel's sister is doing dumb poo poo. She's giving a water spirit trinkets and she wants one of yours. You got that poo poo locked up or not?"

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: [Terrified]

The customized ringtone immediately lets me know Alisha is calling. I excuse myself from the table as Lisa catches Kimmy up with the plan.

"Hey Alisha, I wanted to talk to you about earlier but now's not a go-"

The Deleter posted:

"Hey," I say, when he picks up (OOC: or I hit his answer phone). I keep my voice low. "Quick chat. Hazel's sister is doing dumb poo poo. She's giving a water spirit trinkets and she wants one of yours. You got that poo poo locked up or not?"

Click.

I turn turn around back toward the table. I'm trying to hide the fear in my voice but my face has gone pale and my eyes are bulging, "I'll meet you at the thing, call me Lisa," I struggle vainly for an explanation for a moment. Finally I look Joel square in the eye for the first time since he came into the coffee shop and say, "I have to return some video tapes."

Run Away 2d6+1: 11

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

"...so that's a no."

I put my phone away, and growl. Bit of the wolf coming through there. Hazel looks very, very worried. I'm gonna have to do something to stop him running off like an idiot and ruining our date. Think, think.

"Right then. How close is the river to where the party is? Because if we no-show it's gonna look suspicious, but we can't let River keep feeding this water spirit. Jacob is being an idiot, so we might need to intercept her ourselves. Also, wanna order?"

I grab a menu and look through, but my mind is elsewhere.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

The gently caress?

"Uh, ok?" I watch Jacob offer up what HAS to be an excuse - there's no way there's a video store within like, a thousand miles, unless they're huge in Canada without me knowing - and all but sprint off. "Wait! I don't have your number!" I call as the door slams shut behind him, the chiming of the doorbell adding insult to injury. And... he's not turning around. I reiterate - The gently caress? Maybe it's like... a Jewish Holy Day or something? Catholicism has like, three hundred of them, Judaism is probably pretty similar.

"So, uhh..." I'm clearly not talking with my earlier enthusiasm, Jacob's almost violent disappearance throwing me off my game. Oh! And my plan to obtain beer just got shattered since Joel doesn't want to do it and Kimmy would probably mess it up. No offense Kimmy. poo poo, I'm still uhhh'ing!

"-hhhh... what do you guys wanna do now? We could always head to your house Joel?" I'm still kinda at a loss.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

Did-did she really forget about it until just now? Well, fine, whatever, it's been a bit of a long day I guess.

The Deleter posted:

"...so that's a no."

Oh gently caress that is really really bad. But at least Jacob knows now and is going to fix it. And River might wait until later so if he gets it now, she might be too late. Right? God dammit.

quote:

"Right then. How close is the river to where the party is? Because if we no-show it's gonna look suspicious, but we can't let River keep feeding this water spirit. Jacob is being an idiot, so we might need to intercept her ourselves."

"It's pretty close. I'm not exactly sure, but in the vision I got the path went uphill and you could still see the school rooftop from it. The stream itself is next to this really big and twisted willow tree. As for 'keep feeding', well...whatever this is claimed the item from Jacob would be the last thing it would ask for before granting her whatever powers it was offering. At least, that's what it said, I don't know if it actually plans on keeping its word." I pause. Yeah, we might need to step in ourselves. That's going to be hard to explain to River that somehow I know what she's up to.

quote:

"Also, wanna order?"

"Yeah. Sounds good to me." Man am I hungry. Also, maybe finally getting something to eat can help take my mind of all this crazy poo poo for a little while.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Damien: She looks stunned, for a moment, like she can't even comprehend what you just said, and then as reality sinks in, she panics, starts blabbering about how she didn't tell anyone anything, she never wanted to ruin any friendships; and she pleads with you not to tell Laura, that would destroy her. Starting to tear up, she says she'll do anything, go tell Lisa anything you want, just please don't leak the script. By the end, she's a mess, quivering, face stained with tears.

What do you do?

Jacob: You make impressive time back to the dorms, but by the time you get there, you know you forgot to lock your door... and the Seal of Solomon is gone.

What do you do?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

I tear through my apartment like a hurricane. Then I rush down to the basement, hurling away the carpet and floorboards to get there. Nothing. I pull my phone up out of my pocket and hastily dial Alisha as I climb the steps back up to my room.

"It's gone," I say with exasperation and fear in my voice, "She's taken it, where did Hazel say she was going? Is he there? I need to stop her before gets there!"

---

If Alisha doesn't pick up this goes to her voice mail. Expect ten or twelve more to follow.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Terrified, Chew Toy
----

"I have to return some videotapes" is Jacob's (seriously lame) code for something freaky going down that we can't talk about in front of the muggles. Er, ladies. It was also something he wanted to handle by himself or he'd have asked me to come with him. I hoped it wasn't because of earlier. I fired off a text asking what was up, just in case. I wasn't mad enough to let him get hurt trying to handle something alone.

So... that left me with Lisa and Kimmy and and empty cocoa cup.

"Um, well not sure what that was about." I said, which was technically true. "I have his number if you want it Lisa."

Sometimes I hate being a nice guy.

We headed outside and I started unlocking my bike. "OK, I've only got room for one passenger. Kimmy I hate to do this but I need someone to run interference with Mom and I think Lisa'd be better at it. I'll pick you up outside the girl's dorms around seven-ish? You can get ready and stuff that way."

She nodded. "O-OK."

I smiled at Lisa. "Hop on the pegs." I know you're not supposed to put pegs on mountain bikes but Jenna is basically a mooch when it comes to rides so I've had them on there forever. I started pedaling towards my house with Lisa hanging onto my shoulders. I took the scenic route, all downhill so it felt like we were flying.

Mom's house came into view after a bit. It's a two-bedroom townhouse type thing, you might call it 'quaint'. There were maple trees in the yard and a bunch of flower beds but it was all dead now thanks to the October cold. I'd spent all last weekend raking leaves but more had fallen in the meantime. I'd probably end up raking those too, drat it. Mom's SUV was in the driveway, so she was home. Good thing I brought Lisa then.

I pulled my bike up to the garage and grabbed the key from under the stone frog statue. The door went up and I rolled my bike inside. Jenna's bike was in the corner collecting dust (like I said, total mooch.) Hers wasn't as nice as mine and it was neon pink, but the tires were good and it'd be easier to learn on a regular 10 speed.

"My bike's kind of tough for a beginner, but my sister's is pretty basic." I said, nodding at it. "If you want to I can teach you."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

We're just about to order when Jacob rings. I make a sweet apologetic smile to the waitress and let it ring whilst I order. I pick up on his second call.

Necroskowitz posted:

"It's gone," I say with exasperation and fear in my voice, "She's taken it, where did Hazel say she was going? Is he there? I need to stop her before gets there!"

"Yooooooouuuuuu." I bite back a lot of curse words. poo poo, this is bad.

"Hazel's with me, but we know where she's going. She's going for the stream where the nasty-rear end willow is, it's pretty close to the party. Go."

I hang up and sigh. This day was going to be great. I was going to get hammered and then get hammered by Hazel (hur hur), and everything was going to be wonderful and I wouldn't have to deal with ghosts and demons and spirits. What a day.

"He's got it under control," I tell Hazel. Not quite true, but River is nowhere the league of, say, a 180- pound ten foot fishman trying to eat your eyes. If he can't handle this, there's no hope for humanity. "We'll meet him there later. See if we're dealing with anything bad or just annoying."

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 31, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

So a plan is devised, and it's my job to be the distraction. That's my favorite job! Plus I'll get to meet Joel's mom, which should be somewhere between amusing and informative. And maybe his sister is there; she seemed cool when I saw her at the movie theater. We better pick Kimmy up quick though. I don't want her to feel abandoned. Plus my skateboard is sticking out of my bag and that's both not that secure and probably not good for anything inside.

Joel and I take off on his bike, with him pedaling and steering and basically doing all the work. I just have to stand on the pegs, not fall off like a big dummy, and more or less hug Joel. Not like there's anything else to hold onto. Not that I mind, Joel's nice and surprisingly huggable. Hadn't realized how chilly out it was until we got going, but between the air and wind it's definitely too cold.

So there's not much to do other than look at stuff as we pass by, so we talk a bit on the way to his house. "So dude." It's either say it near his ear or shout it over the wind, and I'm already basically hugging him. "Uhh, I really appreciate you asking Kimmy to this thing. I know she's not like, Jen Law or anything, but's she totally open and honest about who she is, even when we make fun of her. And that's really cool, right?" I hold him a little tighter as I finish thanking him, my hands having slowly drifted from holding his shoulders to being wrapped around his chest. For stability, obviously.

Turn On Joel: 2d6+2 5 + 3 = 8
Using Unashamed - Joel gets a string on Lisa, and then either gives Lisa a string, promises her something, or gives self.

------------------

As we pull into Joel's driveway, I make sure to jump off a bit before the bike's slowed down to a safe speed, and hit the ground running. I nearly stumble, but I guess I'm just too awesome and graceful to actually fall, so I managed to slow down while laughing and grinning at the exhilaration. As we head into the garage, Joel offers to (re)teach me how to ride a bike. "Uh yeah dude, maybe sometime." I do really appreciate the offer, but I gotta double check with a Faery Queen that I'm allowed to learn again. Maybe that was part of the deal?

"Alright dude. You do whatever, I'll keep your mom busy!" I give Joel's a thumbs up, take off my shoes (gotta be polite,) stash my skateboard and bag by my shoes, and then open the door up into the house proper.

"MRS. NOVAK! HI!" I shout in, and then do a quick sweep of the laundry room. Not in here. But there's like a crazy strong cookie smell, and the sound of someone gasping and almost dropping something. It's a specific sound people make, you know it when you hear it. Anyways, all signs are pointing to there being fresh cookies somewhere, which is my new priorty. I take off into the house at a light jog, only to skid to a stop on the liniolium after all of maybe three steps. Oh, the kitchen's right here, and his mom is the one actively making cookies. Two birds, one stone. She looks kinda bewildered, can't blame her.

"Hi!" I reiterate, and give the confused woman a wave. She's barely taller than me, which is awesome. Also she's making cookies. "I'm Lisa, one of Joel's friends! You know Joel, your son? I think? Anyways, yeah, I'm Lisa Fayette. What kinda cookies are those?" I reach out to grab one of the ones she's just made, and then yank my hand back after I touch it. Ouch. Hot. "Hot!" I confirm.

Manipulate Mrs. Novak: 2d6+2 10
Manipulating Mrs. Novak - I want her to devote her full attention to Lisa's shenanigans so Joel can do his part.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 31, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 1+1/5 | Conditions: Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

The Deleter posted:

"He's got it under control," I tell Hazel. Not quite true, but River is nowhere the league of, say, a 180- pound ten foot fishman trying to eat your eyes. If he can't handle this, there's no hope for humanity. "We'll meet him there later. See if we're dealing with anything bad or just annoying."

I nod. "Sorry about all this, I wish I knew sooner." God dammit River, what the gently caress were you thinking? But then I remember the creature's words: "Soon, nobody will lie to you again, or deceive you, or belittle you." poo poo. Is there something going on with her at school I should know about? And I guess I am keeping a secret, but I don't think that really counts as decieving or whatever because what am I going to do? Say, "Hey River, guess what? I learned how to do-"

Wait no, stop thinking about ths. I'm on a date with Alisha, and Jacob is handling the current problem, and I can figure out what to do afterwards. Right now, let's just focus on hanging out and finally getting something to eat.

When the food arrives, it turns out I am just about ravenous. I loving tear into the burger. God drat, I hadn't realized how long it's been since breakfast. I practically rip the meat out and wolf down the fo-er wait, hang on. I glance awkwardly over at Alisha, with some of the bacon still dangling from my mouth oh my god I must look like an idiot. I try to salvage what's left of my dignity by slowing down.

Turn Alisha On: 2d6-1 5

Marking XP for rolling Hot

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 31, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Untrusted, Chew Toy
----

I can tell Lisa's nervous about tonight, probably because Jacob ran off but it's spilling over onto me too. Well, I'm not Jacob. "I promise I'm not going to ditch Kimmy." I said. "I wouldn't have asked her to come if I didn't mean it."

I think that helps a bit because I get an extra hug for it. I feel a little strange, like what I'd just said was... important somehow. Weird. Whatever, time to get the goods.

Once we're inside the house I'm momentarily distracted by cookie-smell. Mom's chocolate chips are the envy of bake sales across America. Lisa starts running interference and I have to cover a laugh. I've never brought a girl home so she's probably confused as heck.

"I'm just getting some stuff from the upstairs closet!" I yell from the living room, and I run upstairs for a small duffel bag and a hoodie to wrap the bottle in. I don't have a room at the house, but there's a closet upstairs with a lot of my old stuff in it. The booze locker is in the den and it's not locked or anything, so this should be pretty easy. There's a lot of bottles in there, mostly wine (yuck). What about the fat bottles? Cognac? Yeah that sounds expensive. Oof, and heavy. I stashed it in the bag by the door and headed into the kitchen.

"Hey Mom." I said, sneaking a cookie. "I see you've met Lisa."

---
Getting an XP from Lure here, for promising Lisa to take care of Kimmy tonight.
Dropping Terrified because bike rides with pretty girls are way uplifting.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 31, 2015

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

The Deleter posted:

"Hazel's with me, but we know where she's going. She's going for the stream where the nasty-rear end willow is, it's pretty close to the party. Go."

"Got it," I say into my phone as I replace the wood floor beams with my other hand, "and if you see River before me... stay away, she might- listen just stay away." I maneuver myself around and push the carpet back over the sealed entrance to hide my armory once again, "Hazel might be okay, though..." After I stand back up I whisper my final advice to Alisha, "Otherwise, you two crazy kids have fun tonight. Name one of your hairy babies after me, okay?"

Click.

I can't help myself.

---

As I stomp over to my window I hear the ping from Joel's message. He's asking if I'm okay. It's nice to know he still cares. I pull open the window and lean out to reach for the soil below. I brush a thin layer of earth off an old, rusty iron kitchen knife. Strange woodland spirits manipulating children to do bad things? It's fae or my rear end ain't Kosher. I pull the knife up and stow it into my messenger bag.

After I shut my window I turn my full attention back to Joel's text and tap out a response.

Test to Joel posted:

hazels sis stole an old tape from me gotta get it back before she gets hurt. By stream w gross tree.

After the message is sent I push open the sliding door to my closet and reach for the bottle labeled (with helpful annotations by Alisha) "Abel Hunt is a Extra Virgin Olive Oil." I'm about to slide the closet back shut when my eyes land on the words "Manischewitz."

Oh wow, I seriously was about to commit (technically, armed) robbery a few minutes earlier when I had this poo poo in my closet. I got it as a gift from Uncle Ilya in Massachusetts because, "fearless killer of vodyanoy deserves strong drink! But since your mother said no you get this. Sorry." I grab the wine off the shelf and stuff it in my bag beside the oil and snap the whole thing shut.

Believe it or not I'm not terrified anymore. For once today I can actually save an innocent and kill a monster that isn't actually my friend or a Lovecraftian evil that can reanimate the dead. That and the likelihood that it'll run off and leave me alone with my hard-on is pretty low, too!

Lose Terrified because Jacob is P-U-M-P Pumped!

I rush out my door and stop halfway down the hall. I then double back and double check that I locked up this time.

Run Away - To Willow Stream 2d6+1: 7 - Scariest person there gets a string on Jacob.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 31, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 0/5

There's a moment where doubt sneaks into my mind as Joan cries. What if it wasn't her? What if....

No. I can't trust her. She's in theater. Of course she's good at crying and playing the innocent. And maybe she does cry for real because she really doesn't want this to happen. Doesn't mean she didn't do it. And even if it was Laura who did it, doesn't matter. As long as Lisa believes that those things were lies, it'll be all right. So I harden my voice. "Well, either it's you, or it's Laura using you. Anyway, you're going to tell Lisa there's nothing between us, and that I didn't insult her or stab her in the back or anything.."

Alright. Step two. Got to get to Lisa now. Don't want to wait with this, or else Joan here might find some way to get out of this. I take my cell-phone and quickly text Lisa.

txt to Lisa posted:

Someone spreading lies about me. Got proof. Plz let me show it. Just give me a chance.

After that I just stare at my cellphone, ignoring the weeping girl next to me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

Hahaha, Hazel. I supress a snort of laughter. He's cute, he really is. Kind of a dork, maybe? Eeeh, whatever. Dorky is fine.

I'm partyway through my own burger when I get an idea. A wonderful, awful, terrible idea. Let's see how he likes this. I slip my shoe off and let my foot rest on his leg. Oop, it's not staying there. It's going up. I cannot stop it, it is out of my hands. My foot has a mind of its own. I wonder if Hazel ever saw The Graduate.

I give him a grin. "Something up, babe?"

Counter Turn On!
[10:01] (Delopolis) !r 2d6+1
[10:01] (Krysmbot) Delopolis, 9+1 = 10

Alisha takes a string on Hazel.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 31, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

Mrs. Novak seemed stunned, and my cell phone is going off. That's DAMIEN's tone!

Tapping the screen in order to open his message, I'm pretty pissed. I hadn't realized it, but I'd been lucky he hadn't called or texted me before now. Wonder why not. Pretty sure I made myself clear earlier, right?

txt from Damien posted:

Someone spreading lies about me. Got proof. Plz let me show it. Just give me a chance.

I go back to paying attention to Mrs. Novak as best I can, so I don't put the time and energy I would into making my response super horrible like I normally would. Did he expect me to believe the Faeries lied to me? I mean, they were in that horrible spot. And Joel was suspicious. But he doesn't exactly know about Faeries, does he? Neither of them do. They wouldn't lie to me.

txt to Damien posted:

dbt it. fine. u have 1 min @ prty. joan is a dumb name btw.

I am gonna make him pinky swear to me that he won't lie, and then I'll ask him about all that poo poo, and then he is hosed.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 31, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Slimy, Terrified, Threatened

I open my mouth to say "Alisha, what are you doi-" and then suddenly oh god her foot is moving up and I quickly look around to make sure no one else is here. Oh god this is embarrassing but also kind of enjoyable aaaa okay calm down.

"M-Maybe," I stammer out. All right, real smooth there Hazel good job. Honestly though, I do feel a lot better overall hanging out with Alisha. "You-you can put your leg back now." Even if stuff like this happens.

Removing Terrified from relaxing at burger joint and sexy meal time

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 31, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

I smile innocently, and put my shoe back on. Something was definitely up. Heh heh.

I carry on eating, knowing that whatever happened, Hazel and I were gonna have a kickass time.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Jacob: Evening is beginning to fall, and the forest takes on an entirely different character in the dark; menacing and dangerous, but nothing more dangerous than you, right? You find the gnarled willow and the stream soon enough, but you're not alone. River's not there yet, but something is - something swimming beneath the water.

What do you do?

Joel&Lisa: Mrs. Novak almost looks like she doesn't know how to react, now that she's been confronted by the unfettered enthusiasm that is Lisa Fayette. She settles on a somewhat tentative and very motherly talk about how glad she is Joel's making friends, though Joel gets a worried glance if this is the first friend he decided to bring home. She's not off her game for long, though, and is actually quite proud of her baking recipes once Lisa asks about them. Lisa, what does she tell you that reminds you of Faerie? Why does it remind you of Faerie? Joel, while those two are talking, there's a tug at your sleeve, and your sister asks in a mischievous whisper, "what are you doing with all that alcohol, Joel~? Who's your friend~?"

Damien: At length, Joan stops her crying, drying her eyes with her sleeves, shooting you a betrayed look. "So... we go to the party, and you want me to tell this Lisa I made up a bunch of stuff about you, and then what?"

What do you do? What do you plan to do until the party starts?

Alisha+Hazel: Dinner is lovely, and absolutely stress free, thank loving christ. Does this feel like a thing you two could get used to, or just a one night fling? Hazel, Who do you see on the way to the party (not Rebecca) that promises to make this night even more interesting? Alisha, which classmate smells interesting, that didn't smell that way this morning? How do you explain their new smell?

• Locked thread