Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Texibus posted:

I honestly just want the room perk. Getting into the vendor hall first just means I'd spend more money at Gencon, which I don't need to do.

That's what i want. I have an agreement with friends if someone gets it, we all chip in for it since the benefit on room alone is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
My group is still SOL on a VIG member, so I'm really not looking forward to February. Even with 6 people trying to get hotel rooms last year was a real shitshow for us.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The room is honestly the number one reason I've never considered dropping out of the VIG program.
Don't get me wrong, I like early entry and the lounge is nice, but the extra $400 is only worth it for the VIG housing block.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

8one6 posted:

The room is honestly the number one reason I've never considered dropping out of the VIG program.
Don't get me wrong, I like early entry and the lounge is nice, but the extra $400 is only worth it for the VIG housing block.

You're inviting people to consume you for your power

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there anything you need to do to apply for VIG, or can any dope with the money try to get it?

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's too late for this year but if you email vig@gencon.com you can ask to be put on the interested list for next year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I know its awesome to get the guaranteed room selection with VIG but I don't see it being worth the money, especially now with the fewer companion badges. Hows the swag bag that comes with it?

I forget, were we just going to keep frankensteining this thread for this year's Gen Con or was someone going to make a new one this year?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I really hope I can make it this year, but my usual group seems to be overly full so I'm going to have to find a way to house myself

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

I know its awesome to get the guaranteed room selection with VIG but I don't see it being worth the money, especially now with the fewer companion badges. Hows the swag bag that comes with it?

I forget, were we just going to keep frankensteining this thread for this year's Gen Con or was someone going to make a new one this year?

The swag bag is ok. It's whatever official Gen Con bag they have that year (the messenger bags are really nice and are about $60 retail) and the stuff in the bag varies from year to year. It's usually a Pathfinder hard cover, a booster for some collectable card game you haven't heard of, a small non-collectible card game, and there's always been a collectable from the company that makes Catan (usually a fancy lapel pin and a glass of some sort). The rest varies depending on what the vendors/dealers want to kick in. One year there were a couple of paperback novels, another year geeky clean had "gamer soap". My friends and I usually divvy up what comes in the bag and the bag itself goes to either the person who hasn't gotten the bag for a couple of years or the new person if it's someone's first year.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 1, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

For the last two years you've had to email the VIG coordinator to let them know you're interested. They randomly choose the new VIGs (I honestly think they roll dice) and they can buy a VIG badge when it opens up. If the previous year's VIGs don't renew then the runner's up get notified.
I wish they had actually, you know, told us whether we won the lottery. But obviously noticing that badges are on sale and I do not have a VIG badge tells me I did lose.

nesbit37 posted:

I am in the middle of the 2017 thread first post! Even though it seemed like some people wanted to necromancer this thread forever. I think it will be nice to start over.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope to make it out this year, things are looking semi-optimistic compared to last year. I miss playing board games people just bought and don't know the rules to with too many players in the middle of a crowded hallway.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Got my badge on Sunday and also added a couple more people to my ever growing band of IRL friends at GenCon. Should be good times. Just gotta linke down that sweet JW room.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I am very excited for Gen Con. Sometimes I am overcome with the urge to just scream out, "GEN CON!!!!!!!".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agrias120 posted:

I am very excited for Gen Con. Sometimes I am overcome with the urge to just scream out, "GEN CON!!!!!!!".
Torrent and I literally do this to each other multiple times a year. Often through text, but definitely not always.

I am going to yell it right now, let me know if you hear it everyone

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

8one6 posted:

What is in the lounge? I assume it's a couple of lovely couches and like cases of Costco water bottles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gently caress the Gencon hotel system. For 2016 I stayed 15 minutes away and paid $5 a day to park like 2 blocks away. Total cost was like 1/4th what it was just for hotel in 2015.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hotels are becoming such a hot commodity that they can charge out the rear end because they've probably built as many hotels in downtown Indianapolis as they can. I really think they're going to have to find a new city for the next contract because it's gotten too big for Indianapolis.

I'm not looking forward to the lottery. Our guy who had VIG companion lost it and now the 4 of us have to spin the wheel. We did get in the Omni the year he was gone, 2015, but it's always a headache.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Hotels are becoming such a hot commodity that they can charge out the rear end because they've probably built as many hotels in downtown Indianapolis as they can. I really think they're going to have to find a new city for the next contract because it's gotten too big for Indianapolis.

I'm not looking forward to the lottery. Our guy who had VIG companion lost it and now the 4 of us have to spin the wheel. We did get in the Omni the year he was gone, 2015, but it's always a headache.

There has been progress on getting more hotels built downtown, but I think the closest one of decent size is 2 years out. Basically Indy wants another Super Bowl + things like Gen Con have made it economical to build them.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Which year are we going to AirBNB and make the Goonhouse?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sigma-X posted:

What is in the lounge? I assume it's a couple of lovely couches and like cases of Costco water bottles.
It is actually way nicer than it should be (enormous beanbags, pretty spacious, free drinks of many stripes INCLUDING HOT CHOCOLATE OMG) but it is also a tragedy now that only the actual VIGs get to go in...or maybe that just makes it all the better to be one?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Texibus posted:

Which year are we going to AirBNB and make the Goonhouse?

I live in Indy and would be down for this. My wife and I got rooms downtown the year the JW opened up and I miss the convenience.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I booked my hotel that's a mile away months ago like I did last year. For some reason they are never full up when I try.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
If people get into the Blue Monolith (JW Marriott), try to have some points with them already. Their lounge / food room is glorious - it's a rare day when I can get free bagels and lox.
I'm hoping to stay with a friend during TD installation volunteering, but I would miss not having the skywalk during the actual convention.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

but I would miss not having the skywalk during the actual convention.

I'll be the first to say that not having a connected hotel was inconvenient, but as long as I'm downtown I'll be happy. Being 4 or 5 blocks out isn't amazing, but it beats being 4 or 5 miles out.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Backno posted:

I live in Indy and would be down for this. My wife and I got rooms downtown the year the JW opened up and I miss the convenience.

Make sure to include replacing your toilet in the airbnb rental pricing

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rad Valtar posted:

I booked my hotel that's a mile away months ago like I did last year. For some reason they are never full up when I try.
Yeah that has remained the same, for as much as it is now impossible to get a connected hotel a year out like I used to every time, it does still seem quite doable to get an "eh, decently close" hotel for a while after the previous year's convention.

Also the J.W. Marriott and the Hyatt both make me feel like some sort of out-of-touch loser when I think about the comparative perks to my Hilton Diamond membership. Though the Embassy Suites is still my favorite connected hotel for logistical reasons. CURRENTLY.

Also I apologize for responding to this instead of working on the other thread. Honestly I should just make the first post(s) and then go through and clean it up with suggestions from this thread.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I'm considering trying for the hotel that has the converted train rooms in it. Those are just super goofy and I love it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I've been staying at the sheraton city center every year, because it is reliably still open when i typically get in, and i like the convenient food walk to non-food trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hay Guyz

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808389

• Locked thread