Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got hosed. 3 hours and 20 minutes til I can access and I'm flying in so downtown is pretty much the only option. hopefully one of the people I hang out with will rent me some floor space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not overly sad we just booked early now. A friend used magic* to find a Hyatt suite using Priceline and we booked that at $320 a person. Badges went on sale Friday and thanks to lovely events happening none of us had the money for a badge so we're stuck with the higher price but at least we have one.

*I say magic because I can't get the Hyatt Regency to show up on any priceline search.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Kaddish posted:

Last year almost everything connected was sold out in about 30 minutes.

But that was with everyone going at once

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
2 hours 14 minutes here. This is a very worrisome process.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Two full hours for me. My friends say anything from 30 minutes, to an hour, to two and a half hours. I just wanted to stay at the Omni again, drat it. :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We have no idea how many people are going in each time segment, so it might not be as dire as it seems. Will report back with what it looks like when I go a little after 1.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Rhandhali posted:

Yeah, I got hosed. 3 hours and 20 minutes til I can access and I'm flying in so downtown is pretty much the only option. hopefully one of the people I hang out with will rent me some floor space.

There is the shuttle that is connected to someone of the outside hotels, including ones near the airport. How reliable that is IDK

http://genconshuttle.com/

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

50 minutes for me, 2hrs 16mins for my friend. Here's hoping 50 mins is actually good enough to get a double at JW.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Okay, this is weird. Both my boyfriend and another friend just bought their badges, and were able to reserve a room immediately.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I took the shuttle 2 years ago when I stayed at candlewood. Was the first time they were doing it. It was reliable except for one afternoon when the driver on that shift was making pickups in the wrong place. It's definitely my plan B.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

morcant posted:

Okay, this is weird. Both my boyfriend and another friend just bought their badges, and were able to reserve a room immediately.

If true that sounds like a super lovely flaw in the system.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

If true that sounds like a super lovely flaw in the system.

It is definitely true - I watched him make the reservation just now, confirmation number and everything. He already had a Gencon account from last year, and so did my other friend, but yeah, that is a severe oversight.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
I got stupid lucky and I've got my room already. :woop:

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

morcant posted:

It is definitely true - I watched him make the reservation just now, confirmation number and everything. He already had a Gencon account from last year, and so did my other friend, but yeah, that is a severe oversight.

That's officially some bullshit

Trip Report Edit:
It seems there are still plenty of downtown hotel spots left. Got a Marriott Downtown room no problem. And the site actually works reasonably well when there's not 20k people on it at once.

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 25, 2015

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That wasn't bad at all. Looked like there were rooms in all the good/downtown hotels still and I was able to get my 2xQueen JW room without a problem.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Lawen posted:

That wasn't bad at all. Looked like there were rooms in all the good/downtown hotels still and I was able to get my 2xQueen JW room without a problem.

Hate you.

Congrats. Going to try for JW and then Embassy. After that I'll settle for whatever.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just got in and booked at the Westin with a king room. Was hoping for other downtown options that had a breakfast and a little cheaper but I'll definitely take it. Don't give up hope, seems to be a good bit of good stuff still.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I had the advantage of 4 of us going this year. One guy got a 5-minute queue, his wife a 50-minute, and me and a buddy got 3+ hour queues. We were able to use theirs to book all our rooms downtown. Omni again this year.

As of right now the downtown stuff is almost gone. Everything by the airport and wherever is still plentiful.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Double bed was booked at JW but I managed to get King. It looked like most of the connected hotels were sold out but I didn't dally for long.

I'll probably go on the waiting list for a double and extension to Tuesday-Sunday if they're doing that this year.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2015

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Nothing further is available within walking distance to the convention hall. Shittiest idea ever, I've been going for 15 years and they screw me over. What the gently caress.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Syntaxed posted:

There is the shuttle that is connected to someone of the outside hotels, including ones near the airport. How reliable that is IDK

http://genconshuttle.com/

Thanks, but I've had friends use it in the past and it sounded like it was a pretty lovely experience. It also cuts out way too early for how I do my gencon. I guess I can look into taxis or something. This sucks; I've been going since 2004.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
My group was all trying today, best queue was 8 minutes with everyone else 2-3 hours. The portal screwed up and wouldn't let him do anything. Tech support was "trying" last I heard but that was hours ago so more than likely we're staying out by the airport. Kinda hate that, I liked being in the Crowne last year, if I decided I wanted to walk to the room to drop stuff off/use the bathroom I could in 20 minutes round trip.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
Had three people in queue, got like 1 hr / 2hr /2hr15. Our 1hr got a double at the JW, (which delighted/shocked me), and by the time it got to our 2hr there was nothing left within walking distance.

The object lesson this year is that everyone must poo poo or get off the pot by hotel signup day and then queue up with the zerg rush. Vacillating when the trip is in the planning stage but then jumping to get in once people are committed and the work is done is useless here, but it's something a lot of people do.

Syntaxed posted:

For those of you debating I'd say don't do True Dungeon. I went last time I went to Gen Con and it was filled with a bunch of racist southerners as a group who apparently were TRUE DUNGEON PRO LEVEL. I just, uh, moved my puck while they did everything as I hung back listening to their racist, homophobic, and awful sounding accents. It was a big waste of time and money that I chose to do over seeing the auction. Let my sorrow be your gain.

True Dungeon is/was awesome if you could avoid pugging it. Now that there are 92 people in the adventuring parties though this is difficult. I haven't been for 3 or 4 years, since that friggin imba dracolich and the lock/tumbler puzzle.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, nothing useful for me is available. How does this waitlisting thing work? I don't see an option anywhere.

Edit - really starting to feel like I just pissed a hundred bucks away.

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 25, 2015

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I believe they will open the waiting list later this week. If it makes you feel any better I got a room off the waiting list a couple years ago. I got put on the list in January and I had a room in June or July.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I thought there was no waiting list this year, you just had to keep checking back to the My Housing Portal and pray?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hmm, yeah the wording is kind of weird. We'll have to wait and see.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
So tell me about options riding in from the airport area. I've heard the shuttles suck and cabs can be expensive. Is there a city bus or something?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kaddish posted:

Hmm, yeah the wording is kind of weird. We'll have to wait and see.

From what I'm getting from Gencon Forum moderators it only works if you have an existing reservation. So if you don't have one of those at a downtown hotel you're hosed.

Pez posted:

So tell me about options riding in from the airport area. I've heard the shuttles suck and cabs can be expensive. Is there a city bus or something?

Uber operates in Indianapolis that look to be cheaper than the taxi service's airport rate for hotels out there.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Got in 4 minutes after noon. Westin booked and done before 12:10.

:smug:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The VIG gets better every year.

:agesilaus:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
The rates I saw on the conference tool were pretty ridiculous given the hotels they were at. Before the conference, I reserved a room at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis Northwest for 189 a night. It is 12 miles away but it's basically an apartment for my wife and I for 2 days.

Also achieved press pass status.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Solvency posted:

Nothing further is available within walking distance to the convention hall. Shittiest idea ever, I've been going for 15 years and they screw me over. What the gently caress.

I dunno, they have to do something. The past few years have been a cluster gently caress for housing and event reg. the convention is growing at a crazy rate. This isn't the gen con of 2003 or even 2010. I wish they would release some numbers about this and previous year badge sales before both hotel reg and event reg to get a good gauge of that growth. This system, despite the glitches, at least was an attempt at fairness through randomization. I didn't have a glitch and my parents, who are attending their first gen con since it left Milwaukee, where also able to get a room without a hitch today 90 minutes after registration opened. I don't know what else gen con can do besides set up shanty towns or move, and the second option isn't happening until after 2020'if it even happens then.

Btw, I wrote gen con customer service about people buying badges after 12 and getting to get a hotel room right away. They actually wrote back to me around 2 saying they heard about it and fixed it it away. I don't know if that's true or not but I am glad they were so responsive on such a busy and probably lovely (customer service wise) day for them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edit: This was meant to be in the chat thread. My bad.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
Uber is in Indy now, right? I imagine you can just Uber from the airport hotels for pretty cheap and they'd have not shortage of customers during the con. Probably wont be all that expensive compared to a downtown hotel anyway.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Syntaxed posted:

Uber is in Indy now, right? I imagine you can just Uber from the airport hotels for pretty cheap and they'd have not shortage of customers during the con. Probably wont be all that expensive compared to a downtown hotel anyway.

Pretty sure Uber's in Indy. We actually used Lyft last year to get to the airport on Sunday. So that's an option too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

head58 posted:

Here's a video of how it's really going to work for us all:
http://youtu.be/2YY0xw5r1ro
ahahahahahaha

I knew coming in here after the housing day had gone down would produce delight.

Pez posted:

I'm trying to go again this year (last year was my first!) but it all hinges on whether we can get a good downtown hotel again and my wife not murdering me for going 2 years in a row. I had an absolute blast and want to make it an every year pilgrimage, only this year we're flying instead of driving from NC to IN.
Just tell your wife that this is THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS TO YOU well as far as things you do alone anyway.

Syntaxed posted:

Awesome the Gen Con thread. I'm going to go this year it looks like. If everyone here can't get a hotel we can all stay with Quarex, right? ARE THERE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE, QUAREX?

*ahem*
Oh dude there are so many stairs in my house. I live on a tri-level, literally and metaphorically. You cannot even handle how Goon this is. And if I did not attend Tha G-C with some people who barely tolerate my presence, let alone people they do not know, I would totally invite people to come join my merry room-band.

And yes, go to the Auction. Go so hard.

Solvency posted:

I feel for you for real, because I am excited to get my walking-distance hotel too, but the first year in Indianapolis I did not know I would be able to go until the Thursday of, so obviously we had to stay a half hour away, and I was surprised how pleasant an experience it still was. I mean, we only paid like $90/night and that meant I had all that much more cash to blow on whatever stupid crap I was into in 2003. Probably D20 Magic Cards.

Did you join the VIG lottery? I do not know if that is already over or what.

PuttyKnife posted:

The rates I saw on the conference tool were pretty ridiculous given the hotels they were at. Before the conference, I reserved a room at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis Northwest for 189 a night. It is 12 miles away but it's basically an apartment for my wife and I for 2 days.

Also achieved press pass status.
Yes! See you there, PuttyKnife. Tell me your confusing story in person if not in a thread before that, haha. Also I think that is the hotel I stayed in in 2003, or at least it was *A* Homewood Suites on the outskirts of town.

Edit: Oh wait:

Pez posted:

I learned a lot from last year- bring comfortable shoes, try to bring my own food to avoid spending so much money on eating, and that it's pretty pointless to bring my own games since last year all my group played was stuff we bought there. I'm also debating on using a technique someone told me for saving on luggage space- take older clothes I don't mind parting with and donate them to local homeless folks before I leave, use luggage to bring back loot. That or I'll do what a lot of the neckbeards I was stuck in close proximity with last year apparently did and not change clothes for 4 days.
I meant to respond to this for selfish reasons

I got married in Iceland, which we did on the condition that my parents would agree to come--my Mom was like "I've wanted to go there since 1965!" and so I was like "oh it is ON!"

So my Mom has not really been known for her fashion sense for the last couple of decades; once we got a cat, she decided she needed clothes to wear around the house that would not get cat hair on them, which basically turned into her rarely dressing up. Hey, whatever; Mom Prerogative and all.

But when she showed up in Iceland, she was rocking what I can only describe as "awesome hipster mom gear" like a sassy tam o'shanter and swank jackets and these cool pants and basically even my wife was like "wow, Mrs. Quarex's Mom, you look awesome!"

The last day of the trip I was in my parents' room and saw the garbage overflowing with clothes. I asked what was going on, and she said she had brought clothes she didn't care about to wear so she could throw them away and bring back lots of souvenirs.

And so that is how I have now forever linked Pez with the story of my mother only wearing nice clothes if she thinks they are awful disposable clothes.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 26, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

nesbit37 posted:

I dunno, they have to do something. The past few years have been a cluster gently caress for housing and event reg. the convention is growing at a crazy rate. This isn't the gen con of 2003 or even 2010. I wish they would release some numbers about this and previous year badge sales before both hotel reg and event reg to get a good gauge of that growth. This system, despite the glitches, at least was an attempt at fairness through randomization. I didn't have a glitch and my parents, who are attending their first gen con since it left Milwaukee, where also able to get a room without a hitch today 90 minutes after registration opened. I don't know what else gen con can do besides set up shanty towns or move, and the second option isn't happening until after 2020'if it even happens then.

Btw, I wrote gen con customer service about people buying badges after 12 and getting to get a hotel room right away. They actually wrote back to me around 2 saying they heard about it and fixed it it away. I don't know if that's true or not but I am glad they were so responsive on such a busy and probably lovely (customer service wise) day for them.

One thing that will help is they are in the process of building another hotel downtown. Basically Indianapolis wants another Super Bowl but can't get it without at least 1 more luxury hotel and a pretty big jump in the number of hotel rooms available.

Lawen posted:

Pretty sure Uber's in Indy. We actually used Lyft last year to get to the airport on Sunday. So that's an option too.

Uber and Lyft are both in Indianapolis now. When it gets closer to the event I will see if I can get some promo codes for you guys from all the drivers I see. Perks of working nights at a gas station near the big bar area.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well June 14 is the last day to get a badge refund if you didn't get a room. I managed to go through Hilton directly and get a VERY expensive room at the Conrad. I might keep it, I might just send my badge in for a refund and cancel the reservation (no fees, unlike with Gencon's housing portal). Gencon without a downtown hotel isn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My hotel booking experience was painless. $92 a night, and since I'm driving 11 hours to Indy instead of flying like a money haver, I have my own transportation! :v: What's another 15 miles?

I'm just glad that I decided 2 weeks ago that "goddamnit, THIS IS THE YEAR" and I have literally everything taken care of.

• Locked thread