Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Only 199 days to go!

I've renewed my VIG so my friends and I will be there again this year. We recorded a Tips for Gen Con episode for our podcast a couple of years ago, if you want to listen it's here. (I've skipped it past the unrelated spotlight at the beginning.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Quarex posted:

NOW 198 OMG sort of related, anyone whose friends DO bail on them and is worried about finding a room should obviously just crash with someone else in the thread whose friends also bail. And if anyone ends up dead the suspect list will be very easy to trace.

I should put your link in the second post since it is sort of like a Goon Event after all. I listened to this last year and I AM LISTENING TO IT AGAIN TODAY

I can barely believe I am about to acknowledge this but I did a few guest stints on some friends' INTERNET AUDIO BROADCAST a few years back, and one of the times they wanted me to come in was when they were doing a Gen-Con special. My favorite moment of the entire thing starts at 38:50 when the guy who has never gone to Gen-Con asks about vices ... and ... oh god. The resolution still makes me happy. But overall this is a nice companion piece to your show, 8one6, because you are the coherent and reasonable counterpoint on the same subject.

I'll be listening to this tomorrow.

We're also putting on our annual starting a podcast seminar: SEM1567950 Starting a Podcast & Sticking with it! Fri @ 2:00 PM (Unless they change it when they approve it.)

Edit: poo poo, top of page 2. Might as well post what I have so far.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 11, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

No, you should totally do this every morning to gain maximum excitement. Actually, if anyone has any great podcasts, videos, blogs or articles on Gen Con's past they should totally post them in here so we can all get pumped up via nostalgia.

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-2014 Gen Con 2014

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-1 Gen Con 2013

If you want '12, '11, or '10 let me know and I can upload them to soundcloud when I get home tonight.

8one6
May 20, 2012

From what I gather from Twitter exhibitors are being put into a lottery for the chance to spend a thousand dollars to exhibit at Gen Con this year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

... Hopefully it works out ok, has to be better then how last year went. every single year Gen Con has been in Indy.

I think the number one benefit of being a VIG is not having to be a part of the Gen Con's scheduled DDOS of the housing system.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Len posted:

What is True Dungeon like? Every year it immediately sells out but we don't know enough about it to attempt getting tickets. It's some sort of larp that you can level up in and stuff? We're under the assumption that you can spend the $40 or whatever and fail meaning you wasted money. Is that the case?

It combines all of the terrible aspects of LARPing with all of the terrible aspects of Magic: The Gathering. If you like any of those things you'll have a decent time. If you happen to like both you'll end up spending $500 on poker chips with little stickers of d20 magic items on them.

8one6
May 20, 2012

PuttyKnife posted:

So I have a question about hotels. I went and reserved a room for my wife and I already. Should I not have done this? Do you get better deals through gencon?

Hold on to the reservation you have now, but try and get something through the Gen Con hotel block in case you can find a closer hotel/better deal. The block rate is usually better, but the downside is you're trying to book in the sabe block as 40k other people (and this year it's an actual, no lottery for rooms).

8one6
May 20, 2012

My friends and I are splitting a VIG and 3 companion badges si it'w going to work out to $250/badge for us.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The VIG gets better every year.

:agesilaus:

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lawen posted:

I didn't even try for VIG this year (tried unsuccessfully last year). Are they just impossible to get because people who already have them, keep them? Did they increase the number of available VIG this year?

I'd gladly split the cost of VIG + a companion with my GenCon buddy if it guaranteed a room and was attainable.

The previous year's VIGs always get a chance to re-VIG. Whichever VIG badges that don't get renewed (which is a pool that gets smaller and smaller every year) were in previous years just added to the available reg pool during public reg. This year however you had to email in your desire for a VIG and they rolled some dice to randomly determine who got to claim the un-renewed VIG badges.

It feels like this year they were trying to seem more fair since they can't wave their hands and make another half dozen downtown hotels appear. I hate to suggest it, but it might be time to revisit the Gen Con west idea, especially now that they aren't shackled to the Star Wars convention.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Quarex posted:

Oh, so anyone who wants to take their chances at being a Very Important Gamer still has time to buy a badge and send the e-mail to the address mentioned in that linked post. You have until EASTERN TIME AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT! GOOD LUCK, VERY IMPORTANT GOONS

Edit: Oh right and

Yeah, I would not argue with them doing something like this. That seems like the sane solution to the crazy people who think Gen-Con would somehow be better off in a place like Las Vegas. "No, Indianapolis is literally the best possible choice, now go have your own convention"

Speaking of cons in Vegas (I'm going to run my own Gen Con! With Blackjack! And hookers!) does anybody know what happened to NeonCon?

8one6
May 20, 2012

The thing about companion badges is they're not guaranteed. While each VIG can upgrade up to three people to companion status there were only 350 available this year, and to my knowledge they are close to sold out already.

8one6
May 20, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

Welp, I got my time off confirmed so this'll be my first GenCon. I'm super excited!

What sort of times do things usually kick off? When should I plan on waking up each day? I work nights and I know my standard sleep schedule is going to get shot to hell so I'm trying to plan ahead.

I don't get up much later than 6am most days of the con, and usually try to get 4-6 hours of sleep a day. The dealer hall opens (I think) 10am, but there will already be gaming going on that day. No matter what kind of gaming you like to do you'll be able to fill your schg.

By biggest recommendation is to avoid the temptation to pack your entire day full. Try to work a half hour break in-between each game at least otherwise you'll burn out Friday night.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Deathlove posted:

...what will likely be the oldest people at GenCon.

No, those would be the Starfleet Battles guys, though they don't actually play, they just haul their stuff to the con, argue about which rules they're going to use for a day and then spend the next three allocating power points.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

I was there that year! I still have my bright yellow BreaKey, unused, in a bits box. Apparently it was supposed to be collectable(!) with some keys stronger than others(!!)

I have a Gleemax brain in a drawer. There was also the miniature war game that also included video game components, but it was 2010 (I think) so there was no phone app, you had to have a laptop there at the table. I think it was called Acellis or something.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Len posted:

I hate to be That Guy but does anyone know the dimensions of that bag? I've been looking for a new one and that looks pretty.

I have last year's green bag. It's about 17-8ish X 10-11ish X 4ish inches. I'm at work and don't have access to a ruler right now. It'll hold one or two hardcover RPG books pretty comfortably, but it's not big enough to haul a lot of gaming stuff so I use it for my work bag.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 23, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

The VIGs for this year are all gone. There were like half a dozen that didn't renew this year so Gen Con had people who wanted to get in email them and the staff rolled dice to see who got the remaining badges. I know for a fact there were no companion badges left for the this year's new VIGs.

Speaking of ludicrous con suggestions, the annual "GenCon needs to make the VIG program suck so people will stop renewing!" thread started before registration even opened this year.

Edit: poo poo, top of the page. Ummm...

I'm running a seminar at Gen Con! "Starting a Podcast & Sticking with it!" SEM1567950 Most likely Friday at 2pm. Most likely in the rear end end of the convention a.k.a. Grand Central Hotel.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

GenCon released a letter today threatening to not renew its contract with Indianapolis when it expires in 2020 because of an about to be signed bill on the Governor's desk that would legalize religious discrimination against LGBT people:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...-bill/70393474/

This is awesome and I love that it's getting covered by a lot of places.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm just waiting to see everyone go "Lav Vegas!" for the where Ge Con should move discussion. Because that will happen and isn't a bad idea.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Len posted:

That's so much farther away though ): Chicago? That's a nice city right?

It'll never be in Las Vegas for a number of reasons, the big one being that the shot-callers at GenCon LLC won't move the con out of east coast driving distance.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The biggest barrier for it to come to Detroit is it has about a fourth of the hotel rooms that Indy has. The regular con goers would hunt us VIGs in the streets for our ability to reserve rooms early.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 25, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Chicago is pretty bad in the crime department as well but has more hotels. :shrug: Why not Cleveland? It's pretty close to the East Coast and it has more downtown hotels.

According to that site it more hotels than Indy but about half the convention space. This year they put every exhibitor who wasn't a $70k con sponsor in a lottery for dealer hall space. I have a few friends who got screwed out of a booth because of it. I can't imagine Gen Con would move somewhere with less exhibition space.

8one6
May 20, 2012

A new Letter from the CEO of Gen Con about SB101

8one6
May 20, 2012

If you can't summon food to you like some sort of wizard you're looking at a wait everywhere within two blocks of the convention center. Part of the Gen Con experience for my group is the annual meal at the Ram. The trick is to have that meal at around noonish on Wednesday before the rest of the nerds show up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Now that it's only about a third of the year left until Gen Con It's time to start the minimum physical endurance buildup to have a good convention experience aka start walking a minimum of 10 minutes a day right now so you're not a grease-sweating air-suck by the middle of day one like I was the first Gen Con I attended. (I'm still fat, but I've dropped 50 pounds since then.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

Deathlove posted:

Train for the OrcStomp 5K on Friday and convention walking will be a piece of cake :getin:

Can you go from 20 minutes of brisk walking to a 5k in a hundred days?

8one6
May 20, 2012

sithwitch13 posted:

Me and the husband are coming back this year. Looking forward to it, especially since I have a better idea what to expect.

Found out that the food truck I was most looking forward to going back to shut down, though, the Indian taco one. It's a small thing to be sad about, but the pakora taco I had was delicious and I haven't been able to replicate it.

If you're looking for Indian food the Spice Box Indy truck is fantastic!

Also, you've all convinced me to go for the Orc Stomp 5k.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Len posted:

We like to play a game where we see how quick it takes to find someone wearing a Portal shirt in 201X. So far it's always been under ten minutes. Nerds bandwagon like crazy for jokes. I don't know why this hobby has so many people that can't actually be funny without just quoting something funnier than they are.

Yup. Those nerds. At Gen Con. Wearing shirts with things they like on them. Am I right?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Someone in the VIG forum just suggested anyone who doesn't normally reserve their second room to do so in 2016 and then pool the rooms to be parsed out to those deserving a room.

OP from the VIG forum posted:

We'd have to develop a criteria for what "we" collectively think deserves a room...

The Mod quickly stepped in to point out the many reasons that is a terrible, terrible plan.

8one6
May 20, 2012

There was some talk about goon-run events, mine is Starting a Podcast & Sticking With It! SEM1567950 Friday at 2:00 PM Crowne Plaza : Pennsylvania Stn A

8one6
May 20, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

I haven't registered for Gencon yet this year since my employer hasn't let us bid for vacations yet. If I get approved what is the best way to find someplace to stay?

Rent a van if you don't have one, get there Tuesday and part in the mall garage before it fills up, and sleep in the van all week.

8one6
May 20, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

A friend mentioned that room blocks often open up around July. How true is this?

That sounds about right, it's around when the last minute life poo poo causes most cancellations.

In other news our suggestions on what to sign up for during Gen Con Event Reg episode is up!

8one6
May 20, 2012

After the year I left my badge at home I will call every time.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

There's finally been some movement on our submitted Spirit of 77 events.

They're now "Accepted for Consideration"

Anybody have an idea how much longer it's going to take before they're actually on the schedule?

It should be some time before the con, but this late in the process it might not get a final approval until the week before.

8one6
May 20, 2012

My podcast just posted out Tips for Gen Con episode here!

Edit: I should mention the episode features fellow goon Bucnasti!

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

The more the better, and by the way, 8one6, I have to say I was a little embarrassed to share that with my Gen Con group this year. I am bringing 3 Gen Con newbies this year, my girlfriend and another couple, and boy oh boy does that podcast make it seem like everyone there reaks like an open sewer.

It's a running joke from our first Gen con tips episode in 2011. I make no apologies in the war against unwashed nerds.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Haystack posted:

I finally found the link to all of the convention maps (here), so it's as good a time as any to remind people attending events that

:siren:The Marriott and the JW Marriott are two completely different buildings:siren:

JW Marriott = Big Blue Curved Glass Brick
Marriott = Generic Looking Hotel

Don't be a chump like Two Years Ago Haystack and get lost in the wrong building.

I've made this mistake at least once.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm packing my bags and going over my checklists right now!
GENCON!!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Made it to Indy, chilling in the hotel waiting for will call to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

nuggets posted:

Is there a good time to hit will call to pick up your badge today? Better at noon or just wait until the evening?

It's likely to get busier throughout the evening, but it shouldn't be terrible until 7ish tomorrow morning.

• Locked thread