Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Seriously, it's aged really, really terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Because it's stupid horseshit like the Big Gang Bang Theory that retards find funny for some reason.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it's like if you took leave it to beaver and set it in the 90s. everyone in the 90s fantasized about having cool and funny experiences with their friends and drinking coffee too, much like people in the 50s dreamed of having a perfect family like on leave it to beaver.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
it's okay imo

also jennifer anniston = :eyepop: :kimchi:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i really like sitcoms because they're like a weird peep into the past

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

less so with friends becasue i grew up watching it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's weird that they live in this weird version of New York where apparently minorities do not exist.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
noone told me life was gonna be this way

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's weird that they live in this weird version of New York where apparently minorities do not exist.

the optimal situation for a white person in the 90s was to argue in favor of blacks having more rights and being more equal without having to live near or look at actual black ppl

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FuzzySkinner posted:

its a fantasy for white people to live in an enormous apartment in ethnically cleansed new york with zero ties to parents or family older than they are

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

also in these massive luxurious apartments

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
It's a show with easy throwaway jokes with broad appeal that require no knowledge of the characters or previous episodes so anyone can catch a random episode any time and find it mildly humorous. This is in contrast to shows like Arrested Development that make no sense if you turned the TV on and randomly saw season 2 episode 6 with no context, i.e. shows that get cancelled in less than 3 seasons despite receiving high critical praise

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone
How you doin’?
no, how you doin

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The spin-off "Enemies" was better because it was just dead poo poo everywhere, dead poo poo on the floors, dead poo poo draped over countertops. Dead poo poo on the street outside, dead poo poo taking up parking spots.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

"So while it's hard to say exactly what that eclectic apartment would be worth today, Trulia's research shows that the median cost of a two bedroom, one bath apartment in the West Village is $5,100 a month.

And if Monica made upwards of $82,000 as an executive chef and Rachel made $57,000 as a fashion coordinator, they could afford to rent an apartment up to $3,600 a month. "

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

It was great because it was just a show about normal guys like you and your friends. They had normal problems that the general public could relate to, like having crappy jobs, having bad relationships, or having a pet monkey.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Sorry you don't understand friendship, OP.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

The spin-off "Enemies" was better because it was just dead poo poo everywhere, dead poo poo on the floors, dead poo poo draped over countertops. Dead poo poo on the street outside, dead poo poo taking up parking spots.

I'd have watched "Enemies".

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I thought it was an ok show. I just watch reruns of x files and twin peaks for the most part so it actually seems comparatively modern with that in mind.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
F*R*I*E*N*D*S is super crazy popular in China.

I bet they even have smelly cat on the menu.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Huh, a goon not getting the value of friends. Real weird, real strange.

Inevitable posted:

Sorry you don't understand friendship, OP.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHa ya got me

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Looks like a genuine hellhole.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

F*R*I*E*N*D*S is super crazy popular in China.

I bet they even have smelly cat on the menu.

wtf

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the puns and idioms must be insanely dfificult to translate into chinese

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I like how waitresses and out of work actors and museum curators or whatever the gently caress can live in such nice Manhattan apartments

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

"So while it's hard to say exactly what that eclectic apartment would be worth today, Trulia's research shows that the median cost of a two bedroom, one bath apartment in the West Village is $5,100 a month.

And if Monica made upwards of $82,000 as an executive chef and Rachel made $57,000 as a fashion coordinator, they could afford to rent an apartment up to $3,600 a month. "

Chandler Bing posted:

"But more important, because of rent control, it was a freaking steal."

Your whiteness has been revoked

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Na'at posted:

Your whiteness has been revoked

holy mackerel

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah I'd much rather watch Caroline In The City and Mad About You.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They should make a friends style show except for call it "homeless friends" and they can hang out at the soup kitchen and in the parks in which they live

You could even use the same theme song.

'Your jobs a joke, you're broke'
*friend is fishing cans out of a dumpster*

'Your love life's DOA'
*friend is shaking lifeless corpse in the gutter and screaming towards the sky*

BONE DOG fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 8, 2015

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

holy mackerel

Reinstated

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Monica 's grandma was technically on the lease , and it was rent controlled from decades ago, iirc.

Edit: trap sprung

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I just started watching Coach on Netflix for the first time since it was on TGIF and man, I gotta say, that Craig T. Nelson is electric as the titular Coach.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I was gonna start rewatching Friends, but then I saw Coach on there and, you know me;I'm kind of a Coach man.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The real question is why hasn't someone made a sitcom called "Enemies" about six people trying to kill each other each week?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

I was gonna start rewatching Friends, but then I saw Coach on there and, you know me;I'm kind of a Coach man.

A quality choice.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

The real question is why hasn't someone made a sitcom called "Enemies" about six people trying to kill each other each week?

PREMIERING NEXT WEEK ON FOX..

naem
May 29, 2011

It was my favorite when I was like 11

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Sweet Tea posted:

the optimal situation for a white person in the 90s was to argue in favor of blacks having more rights and being more equal without having to live near or look at actual black ppl
This is Portland today.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Now I want to watch an episode of The Single Guy.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Al Cowens posted:

This is Portland today.

ya portland is basically the ultimate city if you love the 90s. source: portlandia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
because it was a funny show with good looking people in it

• Locked thread