Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This is the Baki thread! Here we can talk about the Baki anime and Manga.

Story

There is an underground fighting arena in Japan that only the strongest in the world fight. There a boy seeks to rise to the top in order to gain revenge against his father. THE STRONG IS THE BEAUTIFUL!

Where it was released?

There are four main manga to read, as well as one OVA and an anime. They are the following

Grappler Baki: The first one, ran from 91 to 99, it pretty much is the origin story of Baki and the Maximum Tournament where most of the supporting characters appear.

New Grappler Baki: Serialized from 99 to 08, it has Baki and his buddies fight super dangerous escaped convicts from the world, enter a chinese kung fu tournament and meet Muhammad Ali's fictional son.

Baki: Son of Ogre: Serialized from 08 to 12, here Baki fights against Che Guevara and a superhuman weightlifter on a prison, confronts an unfrozen caveman that ate goddamn tyrannosauruses and has a confrontation with his dad.

Baki Dou: Started serialization this March. Now Baki has to fight... Miyamoto Musashi who has been resurrected!

Characters

Hanma Baki

Baki is a japanese teenager who just happens to be one of the sons of Hanma Yuujiro, the Ogre. Yuujito raped and killed his mother in front of him, and so Baki wants to become stronger so he can kick his dad's rear end.

Yuujiro Hanma

Also known as the Ogre. He's the strongest motherfucker on Earth. Like I'm talking stronger than the entirety of the U.S. Army. He's strong enough to do what he want whenever he want because no one can really stop him, and he is a real rear end in a top hat about it.

Tokugawa Mitsunari

The rich old man who runs the underground fighting rings. He likes to see people beating the poo poo out of each other, so he's what we call the "reader stand-in".

Jack Hammer

Baki's Canadian brother. He's awesome because instead of practicing martial arts he just takes a fuckload of steroids and had surgeries made in order for him to become a 3-meter tall giant.

Yanagawa Kaoru

A giant Yakuza boss who is 19 years old despite looking like that. Has a grip so strong he can explode someone's arm by grabbing them. Actually a sweet guy.

Retsu Kaioh

Chinese Kung Fu fighter. Later starts boxing in America because why not.

Doppo Orochi

He's a Karate fighter, not Muay Thai. He's a badass who killed tigers with his bare hands but ended up having his eye gouged out by Yuujiro. Goddamnit, he's not Sagat!

Why should I read this pile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have the page where a guy is like looking at a mirror or something and then he pushes his own face into the mirror while making a powerful facial expression and he keeps doing it as he smashes the mirror with his face.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Is that the same shark in 2 of the pics or do they fight sharks more than once?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

chaos rhames posted:

Is that the same shark in 2 of the pics or do they fight sharks more than once?

I think one of those is the T-Rex.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baki is pretty good stuff. I've been watching the anime for the first season here and there since translations of the first manga series don't seem to exist.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but is it as good as shamoe

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

but is it as good as shamoe

Nothing's as good as Shamo but Baki is kinda dope and ridiculous.

edit man gently caress these guys scanning Baki, they hold chapters hostage for donations.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 8, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The art style for the first manga is still a bit rough anyway. I watched the anime and then went for new grappler baki where a lot of awesome fights like Speck vs Hanayama took place.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I really enjoyed the Prison Arc, with the fictional Mike Tyson and Che Guevara.

Right now I'm still kind of miffed the mangaka dropped the whole Retsu Kaioh vs American boxing story thread. It's just gone. Poof. Nothing. The Miyamoto Musashi storyline is silly as hell but I can't wait to see him knock heads with the main cast.

Getting into Baki is a tremendous journey but it's a worthwhile one. Every single arc just pushes your expectations a bit further than before.

Spinyback is actually translating the original manga right now if you're into that. It's the same as the OVA film + the anime, but much, much more brutal.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Thoren posted:

I really enjoyed the Prison Arc, with the fictional Mike Tyson and Che Guevara.

Right now I'm still kind of miffed the mangaka dropped the whole Retsu Kaioh vs American boxing story thread. It's just gone. Poof. Nothing.

I think part of those chapters are simply not translated yet. I remember there being a gap in Son of Ogre or whenever that was.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The art style for the first manga is still a bit rough anyway. I watched the anime and then went for new grappler baki where a lot of awesome fights like Speck vs Hanayama took place.

I love the contrast between Yuujiro in his first appearance and in Baki Dou. It's ridiculous.

Hey guys, remember when one of the prisoners punched the Statue of Liberty so hard it got cracks and nearly would've broken apart hadn't Marines not pushed it back together? That was sick.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
All of son of ogre has been translated now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Well, I'm sold.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
Baki is intensely ugly and terrible and I read every last page of it

Devour or Fire posted:

Do you have the page where a guy is like looking at a mirror or something and then he pushes his own face into the mirror while making a powerful facial expression and he keeps doing it as he smashes the mirror with his face.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Does the mangaka just not know what anatomy is? Or he does and just doesn't care?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thank you

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

tsob posted:

Does the mangaka just not know what anatomy is? Or he does and just doesn't care?

:byodood:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tsob posted:

They look fine when they have clothes on or arent muscle freaks.

The dudes been working on the series for 2 and a half decades and his style hasnt really changed much.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tsob posted:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tsob posted:

Probably he doesn't know and doesn't care. Early on there's a guy who rips out Baki's nerves and Baki is just fine afterwards (also apparently nerves are on the outside of the body going by how it's depicted).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh yeah I forgot to mention there are a few spinoffs around like Hanayama's where he fights a giant shark and one about Doppo, but I don't know if the latter was scanlated.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Has Baki kicked his rape dad in the dick and balls yet or is that the single point the series is converging towards.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They beat the absolute poo poo out of each other but ended on uneasy, yet friendly terms.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Genocyber posted:

Probably he doesn't know and doesn't care. Early on there's a guy who rips out Baki's nerves and Baki is just fine afterwards (also apparently nerves are on the outside of the body going by how it's depicted).

See, this was the guy I would have brought up. In Baki-verse it makes complete sense that he can rip out nerves, because he does it by having fingers that can literally cut through things. (Hence why he is Cord-cutting Shinogi). No the actual problem with anatomy there is him cutting a nerve in Baki's neck which happened to be...his optical nerve!

Thoren
May 28, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

I think part of those chapters are simply not translated yet. I remember there being a gap in Son of Ogre or whenever that was.

Nah it was just never covered by Itagaki.

Genocyber posted:

Baki actually has very well-defined rules and power structures. It's not a manga that makes you feel like the author is doing whatever he wants. Rather, you feel like the established rules are being pushed farther with each fight.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I used to think the mangaka didn't know how bodies worked. Now I somehow am starting to think that perhaps he's correct and somehow it's us who don't know what true anatomy is.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

I love this spread.

Itagaki sure knows how to convey a fight.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tge manga finally frickin updated

Thoren
May 28, 2008
If you told me ten years ago that Baki would end up with Miyamoto Musashi using Baki as a sword...

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Ok I just started reading this series, and I have to ask... Is the translation just stupid, or was the creator loving obsessed with Naruto?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Echoing the ethos of the series, you have to battle your way through the translation to reach the meaning within.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoren posted:

If you told me ten years ago that Baki would end up with Miyamoto Musashi using Baki as a sword...

I wouldn't have been that surprised!

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
I think what I like most about Baki is Itagaki's ability to convey impact and motion. So much of the movement is exaggerated, it gives the action a fantastic, intense feel to it, and I think the super-muscled anatomy he draws only adds to that.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Liar posted:

Ok I just started reading this series, and I have to ask... Is the translation just stupid, or was the creator loving obsessed with Naruto?

Where are you reading it? Which translation?

Baki has a long history of bad translations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Liar posted:

Watch the first 2 seasons of the anime then read the manga from new grappler baki if you can. The translations are always a bit off but the manga translations don't cover what the anime does, only a small bit of it.

I can't wait to see how much more insane Baki gets this series. I kind of assumed the last was the end but bring on the historical dead people

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

musashi is cool and all but hes no pickle the caveman

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a 3 meter tall cannibal caveman who hunted and ate dinosaurs and whose name is freakin' Pickle. Baki owns.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pickle was definitely used in the wrong series but where else can they go except for reviving baki's grandad

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Yep, Itagaki has sure written himself into a corner after these 24 years!

I do wonder if we'll see Musashi versus Yujiro at some point.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
There's yet another Baki book out?! Whaaaaaat...
Musashi's hung like a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Jose posted:

pickle was definitely used in the wrong series but where else can they go except for reviving baki's grandad

Aliens, bro.