Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This is the Baki thread! Here we can talk about the Baki anime and Manga.

Story

There is an underground fighting arena in Japan that only the strongest in the world fight. There a boy seeks to rise to the top in order to gain revenge against his father. THE STRONG IS THE BEAUTIFUL!

Where it was released?

There are four main manga to read, as well as one OVA and an anime. They are the following

Grappler Baki: The first one, ran from 91 to 99, it pretty much is the origin story of Baki and the Maximum Tournament where most of the supporting characters appear.

New Grappler Baki: Serialized from 99 to 08, it has Baki and his buddies fight super dangerous escaped convicts from the world, enter a chinese kung fu tournament and meet Muhammad Ali's fictional son.

Baki: Son of Ogre: Serialized from 08 to 12, here Baki fights against Che Guevara and a superhuman weightlifter on a prison, confronts an unfrozen caveman that ate goddamn tyrannosauruses and has a confrontation with his dad.

Baki Dou: Started serialization this March. Now Baki has to fight... Miyamoto Musashi who has been resurrected!

Characters

Hanma Baki

Baki is a japanese teenager who just happens to be one of the sons of Hanma Yuujiro, the Ogre. Yuujito raped and killed his mother in front of him, and so Baki wants to become stronger so he can kick his dad's rear end.

Yuujiro Hanma

Also known as the Ogre. He's the strongest motherfucker on Earth. Like I'm talking stronger than the entirety of the U.S. Army. He's strong enough to do what he want whenever he want because no one can really stop him, and he is a real rear end in a top hat about it.

Tokugawa Mitsunari

The rich old man who runs the underground fighting rings. He likes to see people beating the poo poo out of each other, so he's what we call the "reader stand-in".

Jack Hammer

Baki's Canadian brother. He's awesome because instead of practicing martial arts he just takes a fuckload of steroids and had surgeries made in order for him to become a 3-meter tall giant.

Yanagawa Kaoru

A giant Yakuza boss who is 19 years old despite looking like that. Has a grip so strong he can explode someone's arm by grabbing them. Actually a sweet guy.

Retsu Kaioh

Chinese Kung Fu fighter. Later starts boxing in America because why not.

Doppo Orochi

He's a Karate fighter, not Muay Thai. He's a badass who killed tigers with his bare hands but ended up having his eye gouged out by Yuujiro. Goddamnit, he's not Sagat!

Why should I read this pile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The art style for the first manga is still a bit rough anyway. I watched the anime and then went for new grappler baki where a lot of awesome fights like Speck vs Hanayama took place.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tsob posted:

Does the mangaka just not know what anatomy is? Or he does and just doesn't care?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh yeah I forgot to mention there are a few spinoffs around like Hanayama's where he fights a giant shark and one about Doppo, but I don't know if the latter was scanlated.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They beat the absolute poo poo out of each other but ended on uneasy, yet friendly terms.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tge manga finally frickin updated

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

musashi is cool and all but hes no pickle the caveman

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a 3 meter tall cannibal caveman who hunted and ate dinosaurs and whose name is freakin' Pickle. Baki owns.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

The strong are the beautiful !! All BAKI Wants Is To Win!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

6 new chapters out of nowhere what the gently caress!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The retsu fight with that bald dude who kept feigning surrender and trying to recruit him as a teacher for his dojo was awesome.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FatSamurai posted:

All I remember about Sikorsky's fights was that everyone kept hammering him in the dick. Speck's was the best, though--it went just long enough to be fulfilling but not so long as Dorian which just kept going forever and ever.

Speck's fight with Hanayama was my all time favorite

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's mondo hosed up that even in hentai the penises now are completely censored, making them mosaic or lightsaber like instead of just putting tiny black bars on the tip like they did back in the day.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

he still didn't beat yuujiro, only made him sweat a lot... also lol @ jack hammer still taking a shitload of roids

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

You are talking about Yuujiro Hanma, the Ogre, the so-called Strongest Man on Earth, the only man on Earth to have a peace treaty with the United States Government, who spends his time traveling across the world looking for fighters and beasts to murder.

This.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shitload of new chapters released....

Seeing Doppo and Karate as a whole bodied like this makes me kinda sour but goddamn what a fight. Musashi is the real deal. Also Retsu is back after his boxing career!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZx-bvbK43o

lmfao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I started reading Tough, and it's pretty good because it's Baki the Grappler, but by the Riki-Oh guy and it's way violent.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Retsu for the motherfucking win

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Che Guevara is stronger;

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Garouden has two versions but one is by the Baki artist ya

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

retsu is going to survive because nobody dies in baki but he might lose an arm this time

It'll be the second leg.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh my god it's Peg-Pelvis Retsu

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New volume was scanlated. Retsu is gonna win by throwing tooth sand at Musashi's face

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's a spinoff starring him but it wasn't scanned yet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only translated Spinoff around is the one where Hanayama fishes a giant shark and beats a 5-meter tall retard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

The entire series is happening solely because Strongman got too strong so he had kids loving everywhere, hopefully so that one or more Strongkids could provide a challenge

Reminder that Strongman is so strong that America signed a nonaggression pact with him, which every President has to renew.

AnonSpore posted:

After the Retsu fight Tokugawa asks Musashi how he felt about fighting Retsu, Musashi replies that it was like the Battle of Sekigahara. Tokugawa then asks him how Retsu would compare to Musashi's legendary rival, Sasaki Kojirou and Musashi goes "Who?"

Sorry that probably wasn't cool to anyone but history nerds like me.

Actual cool poo poo: Shibukawa completely loving owns Musashi the first time they meet because aikido was invented after Musashi's time

Ahh so they are taking the FSN route regarding Kojiro.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New chapters. Goddamn that was close! Seriously, Retsu was almost winning by an inch.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

I just want to see Musashi fight Jack Hammer.

Musashi would compare him to an ancient steroid taking samurai

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pickle ripped half of his face off

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh jesus RIP Retsu

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ancient Reemboweling technique

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

doppo got a heart massage that fixed him.

i hope everyone who reads this also reads tough because its cool imo but i wish someone would finish translating the first part

ehh tough is like baki also by the fact that it's the second part where things get really good and awesome

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

He seemed to almost piss his pants after the encounter, though (and Yuujirou is owning Musashi so far, though given the way this comic goes Musashi will own Yuujirou next).

I don't think you can "own" the Ogre.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nah it's very much possible.
He gets trolled all the fuckin time.

True on that count but he owns people equally as much and is still undefeated on the ring.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Musashi arc is kinda remarkable because he's the only new antagonist on quite a good time that actually relies in his martial skills than sheer physical strength. Well, he broke a frickin quad nunchuck with a single swing but he still uses more martial arts techniques than Yuujiro, Pickle and Oliva.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanted to see Musashi go full Samurai Warriors on the coppers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

Since this thread is also basically the tough thread its become fist of the north star even more lol

I'm pretty sure it was since they introduced the third Miyazawa brother.