Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoren posted:

If you told me ten years ago that Baki would end up with Miyamoto Musashi using Baki as a sword...

I wouldn't have been that surprised!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoren posted:

Itagaki stays with the times.

That one guy looks like he has abs on his cheeks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baki needs a scene where a guy punches another guy and the other guy catches the puncher's fist with his cheek ab muscles and crushes his hand.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Who is that ninja guy who talks with Baki's dad in chapter 79 and what do they talk about that seems to make Baki's dad so pissed off?

Hahahah holy poo poo Baki's dad kicks Musashi in the balls

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 21, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

He's Motobe Izou, a master of Jujutsu. He pisses off Yuujirou by saying that Musashi is too strong for him, and that he (Motobe) will protect him from Musashi.

He seemed to almost piss his pants after the encounter, though (and Yuujirou is owning Musashi so far, though given the way this comic goes Musashi will own Yuujirou next).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I love how goofy Musashi's face is. It's like his eyes never point in the same direction and he has this expression that makes him look like a doofus.

edit: I mean seriously:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing i like about manga like Baki is how they seem to interpret human bodies as just being a mass of flesh that can be moved with a person's willpower alone. Like, in real life having a sword stab through your arm or hand would sever a bunch of nerves and muscles that would physically make it impossible to move normally afterwards. This particularly bugs me* in scenes where a guy will let his opponent stab him in the hand with a large blade and then he'll push the blade all the way through and the grab the guy's hand. Like, if you actually had a big blade through your hand like that all the "machinery" of your hand would be hosed up to the point where you wouldn't be capable of moving your fingers normally, much less tightly grabbing something.

* This doesn't actually bother me, I just think it's pretty funny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

It's a good question. Personally, I'm a huge fan. The second series, New Grappler Baki, is my favorite manga. Some of the complaints about Grappler Baki include:

My feeling about Baki is that, while I certainly wouldn't consider it one of my all-time favorite mangas, I also can't imagine why anyone would dislike it. It's just fun and entertaining. Sort of reminds me of Zatch Bell, but with respect to fighting manga instead of shounen/comedy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Why is it again that Musashi now wants to go to war with society or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Using Baki logic I'm assuming Musashi could destroy helicopters with his invisible sword slashes or something. Or make them crash by invisi-slashing their pilots.

Or maybe they could just say his skin is so hard due to chi or w/e that even bullets and explosives cannot harm it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

We do know Musashi can be wounded.

Armed with a bottle of saki and a troll's determination, Motobe managed to inflict a massive wound to Musashi's face. That scar is pretty wicked. Yujiro's kick to the balls knocked him down, and Baki's jab KO'ed him (well, temporarily).

Yeah but that's probably because Motobe infused it with chi or something. Like, we've seen how characters getting attacked by weaker people doesn't do much/any damage to them (like Musashi hitting Yujiro with his sword and doing hardly any damage), so I wouldn't be surprised if a lay person couldn't hurt Musashi in the same way as one of the other uber-fighters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

Hmm, I don't think Motobe is a chi user, or at least that hasn't been stated explicitly. AnonSpore knows Korean, perhaps he can shed some light on us, too.

As far as I can tell, Motobe just relies on ninja tools, as Plutonis mentioned. That includes smoke bombs, Kusari-fundo (weight and chain), a short sword, collapsable spear, and less orthodox weapons, like spiked knuckle dusters, poison, explosives, and a big rear end bottle of sake. His jacket is made out of aramid fiber, and basically acts like chainmail. So it's a mix of modern technology and traditional ninja weapons, plus his jiu jitsu.

Sorry, I didn't mean literal chi, but rather "chi" as a catch-all referring to the same element that makes strong people immune to weak peoples' attacks, even if the weak person is stabbing them with a sword. If dude A is supposed to be a lot stronger than dude B, he'll generally take less damage from dude B's attacks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I googled this Yasha ape (I haven't read earlier Baki) and found the following:

quote:

It was revealed that Yujiro killed the Yasha Ape's wife. In return, Baki returned the skull of his wife as a sign of respect. Likewise, he gave Baki one of his fangs as a gift. It's shown that it is a docile creature and only fights to survive. As Baki departs, it reveals that he was raising three children on his own. Later, it is revealed that he is murdered by Yujiro, who then showed his head to Baki.

Yuujirou is such a shithead. I hope that this series ends in Baki literally killing him instead of coming to some mutual respect (like happened in his fight where they used their imaginations to eat soup or whatever).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want a detailed presentation of how exactly Yuujirou would fight the US Army. Like what does he do about helicopters or guided missiles?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol at "if you shoot a bunch of electricity into someone you'll see their skeleton just like in the cartoons, right?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope non-martial artists defeat Musashi with the power of modern weaponry.

(I'm not expecting this to happen.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Who would win in a fight between Pickle and the giant muscle guy (forget his name, the one who is voluntarily in prison and has the fat wife)? They haven't fought before, right?

Also, I just realized Julius in Kengan Asura has a similar gimmick to that guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Japanese people talking japanese like americans never stops being amusing to me

They usually seem to just heavily emphasize or draw out random syllables when imitating Westerners.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zzulu posted:

So clearly the superstrong in this setting can be shot and cut, like the Yakuza boss being shot by that psycho criminal guy

Even the Ogre got subdued by tranq darts? Yet they keep saying that guys like Ogre could defeat entire armies, to the point where the USA was afraid of him? Wouldn't a bunch of guys with machine guns do him in? What about a helicopter pumping high powered rounds into him? the durability of the people in this series make absolutely zero sense and I love it

He would use that same "make people think invisible things exist" ability to convince all the soldiers that their guns were broken.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nerdz posted:

The latest chapter of Paru's graffiti finally talks about her father. I'm getting yujiro vibes from him. And the way she draws him would raise an eyebrow from many a psychoanalyst

Yeah, I'm getting all sorts of vibes from those two chapters that she's sort of rationalizing things in such a way that leaves unstated the reasons why the family might feel like preparing everything for the dad is some dire urgent issue.

Also the whole "drawing him as some sort of weird demon thing" part

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Joe William...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zzulu posted:

This comic will end with Baki raping his dad to prove that he has surpassed him and his dad being proud of him for doing so

Baki, the manga about being gay with your dad

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

Maybe this is the year of Jack. He's gonna bite everyone. A lot of homoerotic mouth biting, I'm sure

Notice that this follows the emphasis that everyone is a woman to Yujirou.

Jack is going to bite his dick off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That's the face you get from having a lot of testosterone. Back when I was the heaviest into lifting, my face would sometimes do that after working out. Keep an eye out next time you're at the gym.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

man, that was truly gross. Itagaki's still got it.

I feel like it's kind of a dick move to rip off the ears of some guy who you're already easily beating. What was even the point of it when he immediately followed it up by (I think) jabbing his sides, which is what actually ended the match.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

cant stop laughing at kehaya

It's especially funny not being able to understand the text at all due to the Chinese scans.

Just looks like they meet in the hall, have some words, and then Kehaya stumbles towards Orochi and gets punched in the face. There's probably some text in there about the stumbling being "him moving quickly without any Presence" or some such, but without the text it just looks like him stumbling into Orochi like a drunk and getting owned.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I still feel cheated that getting your foot broken wasn't a secret sumo technique, so hopefully getting your ears ripped off is at least.

Ancient sumo sense vibrations through the ground. Losing his ears just allowed him to focus more on those vibrations, giving him superhuman sensory abilities.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

As long as he maneuvers his eyeballs to hit Doppo's fingers from the side he should be fine

He turns his eyes so fast that the torque breaks Doppo's fingers.

This is because sumo need to develop extremely powerful eye muscles to handle being slapped in the face.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God drat, that's brutal. That's the sort of thing that would absolutely make you pass out from pain IRL; the deep inside of the nose/sinuses is incredibly sensitive.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Big boys on the town

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's very funny just watching this guy get owned over and over again

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When's the last time Baki fought?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Biscuit is so cool

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

Biscuit's single eye just staring from within the Pac-Man Ball is haunting

He's so cool. This large muscle guy who enjoys somewhat Yuujiro-esque freedom but isn't a huge rear end in a top hat like him and instead just eats a ton of food with his extremely large wife/girlfriend

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Who is interviewing these bystanders

Are they reporting seeing these fights to the newspaper or something

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Christ it was made in 2015

It always makes me laugh every time I read/see it. "not possible by the laws of human limits"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"No one knows how strong I really am, all those earlier fights don't count, I wasn't really trying my hardest (even though I permanently lost parts of my body)."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This actually owns and this whole sequence of chapters is very funny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I know we act like this stuff is all fun and games, but seeing stuff like this reminds me that it's entirely too real for some people...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Everything with the sumo folk has them getting absolutely clowned on, some of the most decisive victories in this entire series. Then afterwards whoever wins acts like it was an honorable dual that was nearly lost. This is the weirdest Baki arc of all time.

I like how Baki's explanation is "but you're a huge guy, so if I had done a contest of strength you would have won!" like that's supposed to make the sumo guy look any better.

Someone in a much lower weight class beating someone in a higher weight class and going "if I had just let you punch me more, you probably would have won"