Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Main and Hastings is a worse slum than anything I've seen in the western US (never been to the east) but you'll never get mugged or be a victim of physical violence there. It's just a bunch of sad mentally ill addicts who congregate there because that's where all the social services and drugs are.

Petty theft is a huge problem though. I parked my car in the longshoreman parking across the rail tracks when I worked there because they know not to gently caress with longshoremen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vancouver's a hosed up place of extremes, not really like the rest of Canada. I live directly north of that slum, across the inlet, where no one bats an eye at $2.5 million for a 1,700 square foot three bedroom condo that looks like this

Don't mind the busy trucking/commuter road, major bus loop, active shipyard and industrial rail lines surrounding you

Listing with more photos/info: http://www.realtylink.org/prop_search/Detail.cfm?areatitle=&ARPK=&ComID=&agentid=&MLS=V1077740

And if you're thinking "well it's a different country, maybe wages are higher etc." no, average income is about $36,000, the local economy is mediocre at best, and its only real draw for Canadians is natural beauty near by and you may not freeze to death in winter. Like if you're into hiking/mountain biking/kayaking it's paradise, but those people aren't dropping 2.5 million loonies on a condo. See china.jpg for who is.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 9, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stickers say "Please Respect Canada's Official Languages."

If you hear seagulls going bananas in the middle of downtown, it's probably because a bald eagle is hunting them

Supervised drug injection site where clean needles are provided free by the government

Indigenous rights protesters

The second widest bridge in the world, at 10 lanes, under construction. Only the new Bay Bridge in San Francisco is wider.

All of these pics are from Vancouver.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 10, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ambrose Burnside posted:

calling vancouver or just BC in general part of "canada" really is misleading + unfair to the rest of hte country

The rest of BC is just like the rest of Canada. Only the big city is the unique horrible snowflake. Or more like rain drop am i rite

Regionalism - the most Canadian thing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

do you have a high res version of this poo poo, nice pic, vancouver rules

5,000+ pixels good enough? The next photo is similar: https://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonymaw/16010207031/

I know the "criminal" car pusher in this, lol. It's by far the famous acting gig he's ever had and it's like 10 years old now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Who's that chunky lady, looks like a wannabe Rachel McAdams

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is pretty accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXQCABue8y8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Surrey, BC, is like that suburb in Back to the Future II after Biff steals the Sports Almanac

Actualy city logo:

• Locked thread