Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Schiavona posted:

Fencing is fun and I loved it when I did it years ago, but as soon as we were taught about flicks I decided foil can go gently caress itself forever and switched to sabre. If I remember correctly, hitting someone with the guard counts in foil matches, so if you're insanely aggressive and fast you can basically punch someone with it and get a point. Bad strategy in real matches, great strategy if it's a bunch of teens loving around in fencing lessons.

Quite the opposite - hitting someone with the guard will gain you a card. Depending how far back you're going, flicks in foil aren't as much as a thing since 2005.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

On the subject of the flick - yes, it's a pretty dastardly tactic, but it is by no means easy to pull off. It is possible to parry them and they fail horribly if your distance isn't perfect.
Off the top of my head, the rules were changed relatively recently to discourage flicking, by increasing the duration that the tip switch needs to be closed for in order for the box to register a hit.
Also, if screw up a flick enough you'll end up clubbing your opponent with the blade and getting carded for that too.
Oh yeah, I can see how this would be frustrating for you. Someone charging in for a flick is showing off sport fencing's somewhat abstract nature at its finest :)

The timing changes were done in 2005. I've never seen/heard of someone getting carded for landing flat.

But, on the point of it looking awesome, you can still pull off things like this touch around 1:05:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34VUUyI1_fI&t=1s

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

The thing is I'm not necessarily counterattacking when it happens. I'm maintaining my defensive position, and the attacker is literally running into my weapon. It's where imo things like right of way tend to break down. It assigns absolute roles to individuals (attacker/defender) when in actual swordplay offensive actions have to be defensive simultaneously rather than after-the-fact. It's the difference between swordplay and electric tag.

How does epee compare to this, as double touches and timing lock outs are a common occurrence?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

There's definitely some asymmetry at work in my body, too. My right side (weapon arm) serratus muscles are a bit more developed, and if I am climbing up on to something I'll instinctively put my left leg on it first and use it to lift my body up, like coming up from a squat.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

For anyone who cares, Imboden got gold and Massialas got bronze Challenge International de Paris.

Steam link.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Women's épée wasn't in the Olympics until 96 and women's saber didn't start until 2004. This was also reflected in events worldwide. The U.S. having women's sabre in the 90s was considered early adoption and is arguably why they've done so well internationally.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 19, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

What's wrong with wearing jeans to training?

I was taught to wear jeans at the beginner levels of fencing, when somebody might poke you in the leg with a foil. They don't get a point from it, but they will still stab you in the leg, because they are new at this.

Unless you're wearing skinny Jeans that restrict your movements, or saggy jeans, properly sized Jeans are actually the easiest mainstream purchase to make to get into fencing. All you have to do is buy a pair of pants that fit you.

Warm up pants cost $10 and you don't look silly wearing them while doing an Olympic sport.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

To me that's kind of the fun part of fencing. A 19-year old Adonis can dominate at fencing, but only so much.

Alex Massialas was on the senior world championship team at 15. Race Imboden was taking golds at Div1 NACs and medaling at World Cups at 16.

Tsunemori posted:

Is this normal for many advanced, non-competitive fencers? Or is this an early warning signal to look for a different club?

It's like you said - they're non-competitive. They're fencing to have fun, socialize, and enjoy themselves, maybe hitting up local tournaments a few times a year to get knocked out early but hang out with their buds after. They don't see a need to run daily and lift to supplement their fencing, because they're having a great time doing their own thing.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

I just went to my first session for this year - we just warmed into it with some free bouting, my legs feel surprisingly good today.

The foilists at my blog seem to have an irrational fear of epee, I must find a way to fix this.

Anyway, I have a question: what are the main differences between the French, German and Hungarian styles of fencing foil? I've been told that the Hungarians tend to have a low blade angle when en garde, the Germans have their tips much higher in the air, and the French are somewhere in between. How true is this, and what's the point of these differences?
I'm guessing that lower blade angles mean that your point is on target more often tan not, but there must be more to it than that.

This isn't really a thing anymore.

Back in the day when you were, say, only training in Naples, and you mainly competed in Naples, and had limited exposure to fencers from outside of Naples, yes, you were expected to parry in first and second. When you fenced someone from Budapest, they would parry in three, four and five. Today this isn't the case outside of beginner fencers, because exposure to different styles (alternatively different skill levels), you either evolve past what you were taught in those first few months, or you never make it very far. Coaches are also fairly transient, further hindering the ability for one area to foster a specific kind of (effective) style that you won't see emulated outside of there. Kaidanov came from the USSR to coach to a small and fairly unknown town, while on the other hand, Beguinet came from France to coach in the Deep South. Michael Marx was taught by his mother. It would be a stretch to say that if you took three fencers from these places, you'll be able to identify some kind of Russian/French/Oregon styles of fencing, when it all really comes down to "what works currently in competition?"

You could also watch videos of even Americans fencing Americans, from the same area, and see distinct differences. Imboden and Chamley-Watson's lunges are quite different, but they train only a few blocks from each other.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 27, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Armagnac posted:

Any recommendations for clubs in NYC? I'm in brooklyn if that changes anything...

NYC is where you'll find the best concentration of fencing talent in the country.

Brooklyn Bridge Fencing was founded by Dan Kellner, former Olympian, and also home to Race Imboden, current Olympian. There's also the Fencers Club in Manhattan, home to many Olympians, NCAA champions, etc. Manhattan Fencing Center is also home to a handful of Olympic fencers/coaches.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Kim Jong ill posted:

Would sport fencing be better if it weren't straight back and forth in a line? (IMO this rule basically precludes any comparisons being made with a martial art, because holy hell restricting your movement to one dimension is dumb as poo poo in the context of combat).

In the context of combat, there are no rules. The idea that any combat sport prepares you for real world combat is laughable. This is why you'll even see successful Pride fighters say they completely avoid street fights, because they fight with a ruleset that doesn't exist on a sidewalk.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

The historical reason I was told for the narrow strip was that from a self-defense perspective, you would probably be fighting in alleys between buildings instead of open fields. The real reason is probably just to conserve space, and because the electrical equipment makes running around impossible.

When I played with historical stuff, sparring tended to take up a ton more space, just because of all the circular movements. This meant less people could bout at one time., which was kind of a drag.

Escrime had an article on this awhile ago and basically said that originally it was fenced in a circular piste, but the more successful fencers would resort to fencing in a line, eventually leading to what we have today.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 14, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

It seems like anyone who has fenced a bit of Epee would have have decent enough footwork to notice that someone is aiming for a foot. The forward foot is the easiest, and most most obvious spot to try to score a point. So most fencers learn to avoid attacks aimed at their feet, that's pretty much the reason fencers focus on footwork.

If an epee fencer can't avoid an obvious foot attack without being unbalanced, then they were probably lovely fencers to begin with.

You should stop comparing fencing with striking or grappling.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

This is just demoing the general bladework style and form of attack, right? Otherwise someone should tell these people they really, really need to step back before/with the parry.

Why?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Also worth checking out some of the material posted on the FOC website.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, a priority question for reffy types: in foil, if someone establishes a line and moves backwards while keeping their point in line and arm extended (e.g. stepping back or dodging by leaning their torso back), are they ceding priority? Some people have told me no, as the arm remains out and the line remains unbroken, whereas others have said that any backwards motion of the point cedes right of way.

A line is a line is a line. It exists irrespective of footwork.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPyANhtPuM

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 16, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

And then you lose a touch because your wiggling tip bounced off of the target before the box registered it.

Gotta love the guys who wear chest protectors.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

curious lump posted:

Can anyone recommend a good fencing school near Renton or Seattle? Not really interested in learning, per se, but free sparring and the like.

Salle Auriol has a pretty large space and does open fencing.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

They say the problem with "do X exercise" as a consequence for losing is that you're turning stuff they should be doing anyways into a punishment. Not that anyone likes doing them in the first place, and it's not like there's much other leverage for a coach. Instead of punishing losing, you might want to punish specific actions (like a bad habit they have), with the punishment being something silly. One of my past coaches had been known to mandate the chicken dance if someone tried to parry in a no-parry drill.

Or maybe the club needs some cleaning?

On the other hand, you can make people really good at planks/pushups/burpees/running laps.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

While watching the women's foil div1 final the other day, overheard a spectating ref say that it isn't possible to have PIL and hit off target after that was called :psyduck:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I'm kind of confused by a coach who might in any way be related to a competitive team that would want to teach you "pre-electric fencing."

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 11, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neat vid on Nzingha: https://vimeo.com/176507317

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Olympic schedule + live stream links.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Let's not forget the failed attempt at the clear masks!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

If anyone wants to be horrified, r/the_donald has taken a pretty deep dislike to Ibtihaj Muhammad.

I swear I only go there ironically.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

No specific fencing recommendations, but congrats on the weight loss!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Your feet being T-shaped shouldn't effect your back foot placement.

There's plenty of elite fencers who don't turn their back knee fully out and have their foot closer to 45 degrees than 90. There's fencers who rarely have their back heel down, and fencers that rarely stand up straight. Don't get bogged down because your form isn't perfect to how you idealize it.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 3, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

No idea what the quarte/quinte questions refers to.

Parry 4/parry 5. No one uses parry 5 in foil. Your instructor is doing a parry 4.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Instead of back foot on the en guard line, they made a new line for saber that's like a meter or something closer.

Is this a joke?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

It's been awhile, but my BF blues lasted me for 4+ years of practicing four times a week and going to well over a hundred tournaments. If anything the funny part is that all three of them snapped in the same month.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Perestroika posted:

To be fair, apparently it actually was fairly common practice of cavalrymen in the US Civil War to leave their sabres unsharpened. However, that was not so much due to any practical consideration, but rather because at that point in time the sabre had been largely superseded by carbines and handguns as the primary weapon of choice for cavalry. And when you're dealing with soldiers, the rule #0 is that they'll be looking for any way to avoid whatever work doesn't seem necessary to their immediate survival. While a sharpened sabre would undoubtedly be way more effective, I guess even a blunt one could still be reasonably dangerous in a pinch when swung from horseback. So you'd end up with a whole lot of blunt sabres mostly because their owners figured "why bother?".

It became such a common practice that there's actually a weird (but possibly apocryphal) anecdote about an instance where people went against it. A Union cavalry colonel by the name of Minty ordered his brigade to properly sharpen all their sabres because, well, duh. But when the Confederates learned about it, they threw a complete shitfit. They decried the use of sharpened blades as barbaric and against proper modern gentlemanly warfare, and threatened to immediately execute any prisoner found in possession of a sharp sabre. :shepface:

*hacks at enemy with blunt sword*

We are truly the gentleman's army.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Siivola posted:

You can do it with a butter knife so you should be able to do it with the strong of your sabre as well. The trick is, the bottle is under pressure so if you hit just the right spot, the top of the neck shears itself clean off.

I did it with a spoon once.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Fence epee for a few weeks, it'll teach you real quick to keep your bell up.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Team USA's men's foil crushed it in Tokyo over the weekend :toot:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Technique and skill go out the window if you're huffing and puffing to continue moving. It's a sport.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

BirdOfPlay posted:

What's hosed up is that Imboden had to drop out of college because of his modelling, because the NCAA would've revoked his "student athlete" status if he modeled while going to school.

Never read this, didn’t realize Race started with AFC.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 24, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I don't know if you've heard, but he was randomly assaulted a week or two ago and there is a GoFundMe set up to help him with his medical bills/lost income from the injuries. Not sure if it's against the rules to link it, but you should be able to find it easily on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Penn State fencing assistant coach placed on administrative leave after sexual misconduct violations surface

quote:

Penn State fencing assistant coach George Abashidze was placed on administrative leave by the university, Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics spokesperson Jeff Nelson told The Daily Collegian.

The U.S. Center for SafeSport, a nonprofit organization seeking to end abuse within American athletics, lists sexual misconduct and sexual harassment violations under Abashidze’s name within its database of disciplinary records.

A SafeSport representative declined to provide a comment on specifics in the matter, as well as whether those violations apply to a single incident or multiple. According to the same database, the violations are not final and are subject to appeal.

“We take matters of this nature very seriously. We are aware of this situation and continue to gather information,” Nelson said.

Abashidze would have been entering his 10th year as an assistant coach with the Nittany Lions. He was previously an assistant at Ohio State.

Abashidze, who brought a bevy of international competing and coaching experience, was also suspended by USA Fencing for three years on Aug. 1, a spokesperson from USA Fencing confirmed. That suspension is also subject to appeal.

At the time of publication, Abashidze still appeared in Penn State’s directory and remained on Penn State Athletics’ online fencing roster page.