Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH
The veil is being raised
For many, it is the end of days
For us, it's only the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
the generation after y/millenials is "digital natives" or whatever the gently caress lol

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is going to work itself out. When the millennials destroy the world in a few years, we surviving Gen-Xers will eat the millennial males because they are slow and pudgy and helpless and taste like butterfat, and we will take the millennial females and mate with them to get the world back on a paying basis.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

420DD Butts posted:

the generation after y/millenials is "digital natives" or whatever the gently caress lol

are these what the 4 year old kids who still swipe on books like they're ipads gonna grow up into?

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

GORDON posted:

The problem is going to work itself out. When the millennials destroy the world in a few years, we surviving Gen-Xers will eat the millennial males because they are slow and pudgy and helpless and taste like butterfat, and we will take the millennial females and mate with them to get the world back on a paying basis.

Can't wait to gently caress up ur world

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Harime Nui posted:

I don't know why a lot of people think it goes Gen X -- > Y ---> Millennials.

It's because the "generation" is a net cast too wide. I'm 34 and technically I'm a Millennial. The 20 year old kid who works our front desk is also a Millennial. A freshman in High School is a Millennial. Baby Boomers had Millennials, Gen Xers had Millennials. A Millennial could have had a Millennial. It's stupid.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Harime Nui posted:

I don't know why a lot of people think it goes Gen X -- > Y ---> Millennials. Probably because like I said I have more in common with someone born ten years before me than someone born five years later, so people feel like there should be another generation there. The difference is if you were born in 1992 or later then you probably had a computer connection by the time you were in 2nd grade v:v:v

I didn't realize I was a millennial neither, but I don't fit the mold. I'm so rich and strong I ate rigatoni AND macaroni for dinner last night and didn't even think twice about it :wotwot:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

mysterious frankie posted:

It's because the "generation" is a net cast too wide. I'm 34 and technically I'm a Millennial. The 20 year old kid who works our front desk is also a Millennial. A freshman in High School is a Millennial. Baby Boomers had Millennials, Gen Xers had Millennials. A Millennial could have had a Millennial. It's stupid.

I like the generation Y - Millenial idea better even if they kind of blend into each other. Y kids being early or middle 80s-early mid 90s, and Millenials being 95 onwards. If it was separated that way, it would make sense because the stereotype Millenial kid is hardwired to technology and that didn't really take off until the late 90s. Then generation Y-ers could be content with just being generation X's retarded little brothers with nothing cool to their name but no Millenial stigma attached to them either

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Cuckoo posted:

I like the generation Y - Millenial idea better even if they kind of blend into each other. Y kids being early or middle 80s-early mid 90s, and Millenials being 95 onwards. If it was separated that way, it would make sense because the stereotype Millenial kid is hardwired to technology and that didn't really take off until the late 90s. Then generation Y-ers could be content with just being generation X's retarded little brothers with nothing cool to their name but no Millenial stigma attached to them either

Um Gen Y gets the coolest title since the last generation that was hosed by a tanking economy - The Lost Generation

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I don't really want a house

I could have to move at like any time in the near future and what if there's never a point in time when I stay in a place long enough to be like "I want a big apartment that is really hard to leave without a big pain-in-the-rear end"

I consciously limit my physical possessions

Will I ever buy a house? Do I need to?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The 5th Foid posted:

boomers are more progressive than millenials on literally every single solitary issue except trannys, gay people, taxes, weed, urban planning, universal healthcare, economic regulation, immigration reform, bombing brown people, willingly living in neighborhoods that have brown people in them, .... except for those issues, boomers are the most progressive generation by far.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i was born in 1990 and i've never lived in a house without the internet

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mysterious frankie posted:

It's because the "generation" is a net cast too wide. I'm 34 and technically I'm a Millennial.

No you're not. you're at the tail end of Gen X. Also every generation could technically have a kid in their own generation due to generations in the US being ~20 year periods

it highlights how dumb the entire concept is, not how one generation makes no sense while the others do

Hungry Joe posted:

Um Gen Y gets the coolest title since the last generation that was hosed by a tanking economy - The Lost Generation

gonna move to France and claim my birthright

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hungry Joe posted:

Nice to know I'm the lovely, vulnerable spacebus bomber to my middle school teacher's badass X-Wing

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

420DD Butts posted:

No you're not. you're at the tail end of Gen X. Also every generation could technically have a kid in their own generation due to generations in the US being ~20 year periods

Wait... I am? HAHAHAHAHAHA FREEEEEEE, I'M FREEEEEEEE!!!! gently caress YOU LOSERS, I'M AUDI 5000 *hits the eject button*

You're technically right and you're technically wrong. Some groups place the cutoff at the late 70s, others go all the way to 84. Because this entire thing is loving retarded.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like I don't really want a house

I could have to move at like any time in the near future and what if there's never a point in time when I stay in a place long enough to be like "I want a big apartment that is really hard to leave without a big pain-in-the-rear end"

I consciously limit my physical possessions

Will I ever buy a house? Do I need to?

no one really needs or wants a house. home ownership is a holdover from when you needed to own property to vote that is propped up by the mortgage lenders.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What about equity?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

there's a reason it rhymes with shmequity

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

no one really needs or wants a house. home ownership is a holdover from when you needed to own property to vote that is propped up by the mortgage lenders.

rent 4 lyfe

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
don't complain about not having any money if u don't even understand property

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

I like the generation Y - Millenial idea better even if they kind of blend into each other. Y kids being early or middle 80s-early mid 90s, and Millenials being 95 onwards. If it was separated that way, it would make sense because the stereotype Millenial kid is hardwired to technology and that didn't really take off until the late 90s. Then generation Y-ers could be content with just being generation X's retarded little brothers with nothing cool to their name

Exactly.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 9, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

420DD Butts posted:

ic an't wait for new generations to be even gayer than us

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we woke up and laughed at picket fence dreams and moved out of our lovely starter home and live in a motorhome. i have no idea why anybody under the age of 30 wants to purchase a house ever lmfao

just wait till all the boomers die and their triple-reverse-mortgaged mcmansions get put on the auction block by the banks, who will own all houses in 2040. scratch your itch when they're on sale at least ffs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Harime Nui posted:

Nice to know I'm the lovely, vulnerable spacebus bomber to my middle school teacher's badass X-Wing

gently caress you ywings own

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

we woke up and laughed at picket fence dreams and moved out of our lovely starter home and live in a motorhome. i have no idea why anybody under the age of 30 wants to purchase a house ever lmfao

just wait till all the boomers die and their triple-reverse-mortgaged mcmansions get put on the auction block by the banks, who will own all houses in 2040. scratch your itch when they're on sale at least ffs

Just move to Alberta where dummies with grade 11 educations making $200k a year in the oilpatch bought $600k houses on 35 year mortgages and whoops oil is $45 a barrel now, foreclosure time.

imma buy 2 houses and use one just for pooping in

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cuckoo posted:

This makes sense to me because I was born in 88 and didn't get a cellphone or pay much attention to social media until the tail end of high-school/start of college. I didn't text my friends I just went over to their place to see if they were free or called if they lived farther.

I certainly played my fair share of video games, pirated music from Napster, and chatted with internet buddies from forums/games on aim/irc/MSN and such, but I don't think my life revolved around technology to the extent people typically associate with millennials.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm 35 and we knew that poo poo was dead and gone when we were in high school. no rug was pulled out from under you

Actually it really was the only message a lot of kids heard, because their parents were just as dumb/ignorant/apathetic as gently caress. Schools harp on "college college must go to college at ANY cost or you will never get anywhere" from grade 1.

Deadbeat Poetry fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 9, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Just move to Alberta where dummies with grade 11 educations making $200k a year in the oilpatch bought $600k houses on 35 year mortgages and whoops oil is $45 a barrel now, foreclosure time.

imma buy 2 houses and use one just for pooping in

hahahahahah

we moved to Denver and as soon as my mom heard she had 2 things to say:

"You know, I heard lots of undesirables are moving there because of the marijuana thing"
"Have you looked into working IT for the oil companies in Fargo or Minot? You should see the growth out there, just rows and rows of big houses going up in the prairie! And it's only 10 hours from Minneapolis so you can come visit"

(she sells synthetic granite countertops she's like peak whitelady koolaid dispenser)

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ArbitraryC posted:

This makes sense to me because I was born in 88 and didn't get a cellphone or pay much attention to social media until the tail end of high-school/start of college. I didn't text my friends I just went over to their place to see if they were free or called if they lived farther.

I certainly played my fair share of video games, pirated music from Napster, and chatted with internet buddies from forums/games on aim/irc/MSN and such, but I don't think my life revolved around technology to the extent people typically associate with millennials.

it's weird to think I used to go over to friends houses all the time to see if they were around but now that's super loving creepy

Jonny 290 posted:

"undesirables"

blagh people

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The only job worth doing in Minot or one of the oil towns is stripping

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

420DD Butts posted:

it's weird to think I used to go over to friends houses all the time to see if they were around but now that's super loving creepy

Yes, this is the sad part. :(

Can't we go back to the ollllld tiimes???

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean I guess I could live in some little house close to me and pay a bit less or the same in mortgage each month as rent (don't know how it would work out with property taxes) but it seems like a pain in the rear end to move which is probably happening in like 2 years or so

but I'm not throwing money away on rent? I dunno ugh

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the more i read about the political difference between my generation and older generations, the more supportive i become of officially introducing carousel into the next version of obamacare

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Whole Internet posted:

the more i read about the political difference between my generation and older generations, the more supportive i become of officially introducing carousel into the next version of obamacare

i don't get it

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
only people old enough to have seen logan's run would get the joke

youre wife
Dec 25, 2014

by Ralp

Jonny 290 posted:

are these what the 4 year old kids who still swipe on books like they're ipads gonna grow up into?

digital natives, gen z, screeners, the as of yet unnamed generation is 17 and under. they're old enough to be a parent to a digital native of their own. say goodbye to the wilting flower of your youth, old.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Savings Coupon posted:

Actually it really was the only message a lot of kids heard, because their parents were just as dumb/ignorant/apathetic as gently caress. Schools harp on "college college must go to college at ANY cost or you will never get anywhere" from grade 1.

That's because back when their parents were young going to college was still something that not everyone did and a degree still meant something so you could graduate, bounce around Europe or wherever for a year or two and easily get a career-type job when you came back just because you had a degree.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean I guess I could live in some little house close to me and pay a bit less or the same in mortgage each month as rent (don't know how it would work out with property taxes) but it seems like a pain in the rear end to move which is probably happening in like 2 years or so

but I'm not throwing money away on rent? I dunno ugh

seven months after we bought our house our state had 'freak' "record" '"'unlike anything any 80 year old man had ever seen '"' ice storms and 3000 pounds of oak tree came through our roof into the kitchen.

then the homeowner's insurance kicked in and helpfully offered to pay 40% of the repair/cleanup bill. They lost a class action lawsuit because of underpayments during that storm and let me tell you, that $42 check in the mail four years later totally made up the difference

if this sounds like your idea of a good time, sign right the gently caress up

Basically if you're rich enough to buy a house you're rich enough to do whatever the gently caress you want so who cares

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

420DD Butts posted:

blagh people

Haha what the gently caress how is that 'creepy'?We still do that. Just ring a doorbell. I have a strong theory that the Internet is twisting Americans. It's making you all retreat from humanity so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

opus111 posted:

Haha what the gently caress how is that 'creepy'?We still do that. Just ring a doorbell. I have a strong theory that the Internet is twisting Americans. It's making you all retreat from humanity so quickly.

No one does this anymore. If I want to hang out I text/call first, if I just started showing up at friends apartments unannounced they'd think I was crazy

• Locked thread