Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saga posted:

Only 5% more free time than Americans? That is retarded, just how long are the shifts at the fish gutting plant?

Iceland's economy is so small if EVE Online went under it would probably cause a country wide crash. +

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
the nature and geography of iceland is p. cool but reykjavik loving sucks

also, it'll always smell of farts whenever you take a hot shower there due to the sulfur gasses in the water/geothermic heating process

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Side note, that Chuck Norris Grill is pretty poo poo, but this is just down the street:
http://lebowski.is

Extremely disappointed that the menu item "The Nihilists" is chicken wings and not lingonberry pancakes.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I flew iceland air a few weeks back. Iceland was warmer than Colorado.

They appear to be experts of both symbolic imagery, and awkward movies.

During the inflight safety video, they showed people camping, in Iceland of course. When explaining the exit procedure, they had people walking through a field or something, while describing the bracing position they had this lady sort of stretching and then leaning over into the bracing position (it looked strange for the lady to be doing that) when they were describing the over-the-wing ramp thing, they showed people jumping off a cliff.

At the airport (loving perfect, immaculately clean bathrooms by the way) they had two pictures of birds. The men's room had a bird facing to the side, with it's beak sort of pointing up. For the women's side, the bird was facing straight ahead with its beak open.

One of the in-flight movies had horses loving. Like a guy was riding his MLP around and the other stallion broke through the fence and straight up mounted the other mare just pounding away. Then later, the guy dug a hole for his prized mare and just shot her. It was odd.

EDIT: The flight attendants were all tall blonds with big blue eyes. You can tell the arctic weather is rough on their skin, but you could tell even the older ladies were smoking hot in their prime.

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 9, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

SopWATh posted:

At the airport (loving perfect, immaculately clean bathrooms by the way) they had two pictures of birds. The men's room had a bird facing to the side, with it's beak sort of pointing up. For the women's side, the bird was facing straight ahead with its beak open.

What were you doing in the male and female bathroom hmmm

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
enjoy it while it lasts op, all the glaciers are gonna be gone in a hundred years and probably all teh weed shortly after

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Accretionist posted:

I believe this has implications on that last item:

(Dang, Iceland)

bulgaria be fuckin :eyepop:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

Please post more stories about your trip. Also please ballpark what it cost you to spend nine days there; thinking my next big vacation will be there.

Including a flight from North America running at least $1000, I'd ballpark at least three grand including the lovely van rental per person. More if you get a real car. The rental and gas was split between six of us though. Hostels varied in price but it was roughly $40-50 per night. All were nice quality.

Food is expensive for a real meal (and often burgers or pizza anyway). But if you stock up on groceries you can save a bit. Eat a puffin at some point. They're delicious and kind of taste like a non greasy duck.

We found this really cool underground hot spring cave which from what we read we're fairly sure is where they filmed that GoT John Snow/Red Head boning scene. The guy who was talking about everything smelling like farts wasn't kidding though. All the cool geothermal related stuff smells like the worst egg farts. Like, this kick rear end place in the north where there's crazy pits of boiling clay and the ground is hot to the touch. There's these weird alien looking vents that constantly spew steam at you. Except you get close and with all the sulphur coming out you realise its the Earth farting in your face.

So many drat sheep though. Like whoever is riding shotgun needs to be on sheep spotting/getting them the hell out of the road duty.

Reykjavik does suck for the weather though. It got progressively less rainy and warmer the more North we went.

I'll post some cool .jpegs when I'm not at work.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol asia full of prudes

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Portugal showing Spain how it's done.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I like the way they need apps for their phones so when they hook up with someone in a night club they can check if they are related.

You know, because of the inbreeding.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kitchner posted:

I like the way they need apps for their phones so when they hook up with someone in a night club they can check if they are related.

You know, because of the inbreeding.

Basically a curse of not attracting much immigration and also how a fairly small number of viking families originally settled the island.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

nomadologique posted:

lol asia full of prudes

its more because they're not taught sex ed. this is true at least in china. for india i guess they're not counting rape

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is basically pure bullshit.

The banks were bailed out, some bankers were investigated and even charged but very few of them have had to serve hard time. The same parties that started Iceland's journey towards financial ruin by privatizing everything and selling it to their friends in relations are back in power and it looks like they're going to do the exact same thing again.

The president is a opportunistic populist. Before the crash he hailed the bankers and businessmen as heroes who represented the "Icelandic Spirit" and dismissed all criticism as pessimistic whining. It should also be noted that he has no actual power and is more of a figurehead like the royals in Scandinavia and Britain except less inbred and not German.

Saga posted:

Only 5% more free time than Americans? That is retarded, just how long are the shifts at the fish gutting plant?

It's probably a bit more if you count maternity/paternity leave. By law the mother gets 3 months, the father 3 months and they have 3 more months they can use as they see fit. Of course it will probably be cut soon like everything else.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 10, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

etalian posted:

Basically a curse of not attracting much immigration and also how a fairly small number of viking families originally settled the island.

I'm not judging Icelandic people for being inbred because they live on a rock that is basically uninhabitable. I'm just saying they are inbred.

I mean we inbreed dogs though, so I guess it's not all bad for the Icelandic people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

etalian posted:

a fairly small number of viking families originally settled the island.

They did raid Scotland and Ireland on the way and take a bunch of slaves. If it wasn't for slavery and rape Icelanders would probably be a hundred times as inbred.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

nomadologique posted:

enjoy it while it lasts op, all the glaciers are gonna be gone in a hundred years and probably all teh weed shortly after

If the glaciers melt won't that make Iceland more habitable?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There's these weird alien looking vents that constantly spew steam at you. Except you get close and with all the sulphur coming out you realise its the Earth farting in your face.

Iceland - It's the Earth farting in your face.

Put that poo poo on a pamphlet.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

a starwar betamax posted:

yep yep yep ice-land sure looks pretty in these enhanced and filtered images... i bet they give a great representation of what day-to-day life is like

Psh, you don't go to Iceland for Reykjavik

You go for Elephant Rock:

Proof that Earth was created by the intelligent hand of Ganesh

(I get your point, though)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Beautiful Ocean Vistas!

Vibrant Downtown Reykjavik!

Famous Faxafloi Island!

Anyone have photos of Reykjavik nightlife?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

Anyone have photos of Reykjavik nightlife?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

*pic contains one full quarter of reykjaviks population

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr. Sharps posted:

A radical population.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

that's cool i should have a pretty good shot at getting laid then

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those are actually all foreign video game nerds lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

Those are actually all foreign video game nerds lol

oh gently caress there's a third one of you?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ok ad mit it. all 3 of you are the same person.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Were all our own each person with wildly different personalities.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Iceland vs Mars:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
so a bunch of sociopaths wrent and lived on a rock while the rest of us invented civilization

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

gggiiimmmppp posted:

iceland is europe's biggest exporter of bananas. they use the hellwater to maintain tropical temperature and humidity in their greenhouses year round

i googled this, even though it's obviously a myth.

the real biggest exporter is of course spain (90%).

however, iceland does grow some bananas for domestic consumption. i had no idea.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

iceland seems cool id like to visit. i like barren hellscapes and boring people. not even joking

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

SopWATh posted:

One of the in-flight movies had horses loving. Like a guy was riding his MLP around and the other stallion broke through the fence and straight up mounted the other mare just pounding away. Then later, the guy dug a hole for his prized mare and just shot her. It was odd.

sounds like a typical icelandic family movie.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

are icelandics xenophobic? are they nice people? do they say hello or good morning to you on the street?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

The Mad Archivist posted:

and then half of them immigrated to north dakota

apparently icelanders are genetically incapable of making good decisions about where to live
As someone living in North Dakota, I can verify this statement. This place deserves all the grief and ribbing heaped upon it.

Why haven't I moved yet? :qq:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

toggle posted:

are icelandics xenophobic? are they nice people? do they say hello or good morning to you on the street?

a black dude is probably a rare sight there but i dont think they give much of a gently caress. people with first hand experience can tell me otherwise of course

didnt a hot dog in iceland almost kill president clinton

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Francis Baconator posted:

As someone living in North Dakota, I can verify this statement. This place deserves all the grief and ribbing heaped upon it.

Why haven't I moved yet? :qq:

Sticking around to enjoy the inevitable meltdown after the oil crash?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sticking around to enjoy the inevitable meltdown after the oil crash?
Trust me, I pray for this every day. But that's an E/N thread all its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

toggle posted:

Sorta, but Not really, Generally Yes, Yes unless their balls are currently being frozen off by the weather in which case they won't say poo poo because they are trying to get where they are going.

• Locked thread