Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
which of these horses would/have you been hosed by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
reykjavik supermarket dot jaypeg

look at that loving pig. look at his eyes. gently caress.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

nomadologique posted:

which of these horses would/have you been hosed by?

Did I accidentally post a picture of your mom again? I'm sorry. How awkward this must be for you.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

they sell luggaeg at the supermarket? everybody is trying to leav eall the time maybe?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Iamblikhos posted:

Did I accidentally post a picture of your mom again? I'm sorry. How awkward this must be for you.

it's only awkward bc you keep bringing it up dude

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE
LOOK AT THEIR SNOUTS!!! JUST LOOK AT THEM!!!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Rough Lobster posted:

If this is Iceland that holy gently caress what does Greenland look like?

Small, icy and with a population of ~56,000. Also, half its federal budget is a subsidy from Denmark (lol).

But yeah, it's smaller than you probably think. Would it surprise you to learn that Greenland is actually 1/14th the size of Africa?

We're accustom to the Mercator Projection, which distorts size as you approach the poles for nautical reasons.

The Dymaxion map is much truer to size and position:

Fun Fact: Under the ice, Greenland looks like this:

But it's mostly covered so this is more typical:

There's splotches of green around the coast, such as the illustrious Paradise Valley:

Which are where most of its settlements are situated:

e.g. The capital, Nuuk, (~15.5k residents):

Here's couple random villages:

Random photos:

Snow!

Soccer!

Interesting geographic formations!

Chips!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Couldn't they just import semen from other countries to solve the shallow pool problem?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Accretionist posted:

i sure hope that's a man and a woman kissing :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun facts about Greenland:
-The ancestors of most modern Greenlanders didn't come to Greenland until the 13th century and are originally from Alaska.
-The first Greenlandic film was made in 2008. The director had to be replaced early in production because of severe depression.
--Greenland's national sport is suicide and alcoholism.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

--Greenland's national sport is suicide by alcoholism.

fixed

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Greenland is melting?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TEAYCHES posted:

iceland seems cool id like to visit. i like barren hellscapes and boring people. not even joking
Barren hellscapes yes, boring people no. Well I did not think anyone was boring anyway. Their lives are too bizarre to be boring. I met a woman whose primary gig was singing at funerals. Singing at funerals? Sure, why not

Node posted:

a black dude is probably a rare sight there but i dont think they give much of a gently caress. people with first hand experience can tell me otherwise of course
I was in Iceland with an Italian guy and he was definitely getting "hmm, why is there a black man here" stares on occasion.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Accretionist posted:

Small, icy and with a population of ~56,000. Also, half its federal budget is a subsidy from Denmark (lol).

But yeah, it's smaller than you probably think. Would it surprise you to learn that Greenland is actually 1/14th the size of Africa?

We're accustom to the Mercator Projection, which distorts size as you approach the poles for nautical reasons.

There's splotches of green around the coast, such as the illustrious Paradise Valley:

Random photos:

Snow!

Soccer!

Chips!

Thank you for the unexpectedly detailed and informative post. Greenland seems pretty awesome.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Random photos:

Snow!

Soccer!

Chips!

this post freakin owns,

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
cool American style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So is there any kind of sociological study on why the best countries in the world to live in (politically) are all a bunch of frozen rear end wastelands? Do hot climates turn people into assholes? Am I just going to have to live with air that hurts my face 6 months of the year if I want free healthcare and a robust social safety net?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Poizen Jam posted:

So is there any kind of sociological study on why the best countries in the world to live in (politically) are all a bunch of frozen rear end wastelands? Do hot climates turn people into assholes? Am I just going to have to live with air that hurts my face 6 months of the year if I want free healthcare and a robust social safety net?

you wont be able to become a citizen anyway, so dont worry about it. they dont want outsiders coming in and loving up their bizarre frozen beautiful lifestyle

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

greenland is a lovely place riddled with poverty and the effects of failed policy. thanks denmark

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Poizen Jam posted:

Am I just going to have to live with air that hurts my face 6 months of the year if I want free healthcare and a robust social safety net?

Healthcare in Iceland is poo poo. It's way underfunded so most young doctors never return home after studying abroad and the hospitals all have really old machinery and are falling apart. It's also partially privatized and plans are underway to privatize it more which sucks because all the privatized clinics are really loving expensive and somehow still shittier than the underfunded public option. Doctors did recently go on strike and manage to force through a pay raise so that might change sometime in the next years.

Go to Sweden or something instead.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You guys are thinking way too narrow. With exception of Russia/US, the nations on the Arctic Council are pretty rad and definitely more left leaning than typical western countries.

I didn't say these countries were perfect, but at least they try to treat their citizens as people.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Poizen Jam posted:

Not so much a study as a simple observation, but you don't really see dark-skinned people living in cold climates.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frog Act posted:

greenland is a lovely place riddled with poverty and the effects of failed policy. thanks denmark

Why does Denmark even subsidize Greenland?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

etalian posted:

guilt

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SniperWoreConverse posted:

cool American style
They sell that "flavor" in Iceland, too. I am pretty sure if they sold t-shirts of that design I would own a dozen of them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

People in Europe generally have no idea what "Ranch" flavor is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Poizen Jam posted:

because if you're florida man you're not going to make it through a northern winter

anyway where are the pics of hot icelandic chicks

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

etalian posted:

After all the ice melts there gonna be a lot of resources to mine

naem
May 29, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

where are the pics of hot icelandic chicks

http://youtu.be/wLATMJdQr-4

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now Franch on the other hand....

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Luckily

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

christ

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

they don't have ranches

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006
Icelandic Horse steaks are quite delicious.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

KaiserKarl posted:

Icelandic Horse steaks are quite delicious.

Frog Act posted:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
arent they trying to revive rare earth/uranium mining to get the economy going in Greenland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'd go to all these white places

• Locked thread