Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Protecting the mental and physical health of straight Russians :ussr: posted:

Russia has listed transsexual and transgender people among those who will no longer qualify for driving licences.

Fetishism, exhibitionism and voyeurism are also included as "mental disorders" now barring people from driving.

The government says it is tightening medical controls for drivers because Russia has too many road accidents.

"Pathological" gambling and compulsive stealing are also on the list. Russian psychiatrists and human rights lawyers have condemned the move.

The announcement follows international complaints about Russian harassment of gay-rights activists.

In 2013 Russia made "promoting non-traditional lifestyles" illegal.

Valery Evtushenko at the Russian Psychiatric Association voiced concern about the driving restrictions, speaking to the BBC Russian Service. He said some people would avoid seeking psychiatric help, fearing a driving ban.

The Association of Russian Lawyers for Human Rights called the new law "discriminatory". It said it would demand clarifications from the Russian Constitutional Court and seek support from international human rights organisations.

But the Professional Drivers Union supported the move. "We have too many deaths on the road, and I believe toughening medical requirements for applicants is fully justified," said the union's head Alexander Kotov.

However, he said the requirements should not be so strict for non-professional drivers.

Mikhail Strakhov, a Russian psychiatric expert, told BBC Russian that the definition of "personality disorders" was too vague and some disorders would not affect a person's ability to drive a car safely.

Da, Russian roads would be much safer without those deviant transsexuals having sex change on street! Come drink bottle of Vodka before driving home from job :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is this a thinly veiled Russian Dashcam thread?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's pretty hosed up, even for Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

That's pretty hosed up, even for Russia.

Not now that they've banned all the people causing the crashes from driving :(

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are you implying there will be more dashcam videos worth watching now that transsexuals can't drive anymore? Comrade Putin is cracking down hard on Russia's problems!

(seriously, how far removed from reality do people have to be to think "ban transsexuals from driving" makes sense?)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I know I find it tough to concentrate on driving while I'm trying to put on a pair of size 13 stiletto heels.

This is a good law.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I know I find it tough to concentrate on driving while I'm trying to put on a pair of size 13 stiletto heels.

This is a good law.

Though it's sad that it's real.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
So I'm guessing alcoholism is already on the list?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
"Chicks with dicks can't drive stick." - Russian proverb

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Anosmoman posted:

Alcoholism is considered normal human functioning in Russia.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Anosmoman posted:

alcohol is needing for driving. wearing the dress as man or pants as woman is not

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Archer666 posted:

alcohol is needing for driving. wearing the dress as man or pants as woman is not

This thread actually would be more fun with somebody pretending to be a Russian national defending this insanity.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
The gays are next.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pope Guilty posted:

This thread actually would be more fun with somebody pretending to be a Russian national defending this insanity.

Wait for some posters from the Eastern Europe thread to catch onto this. You'll get your wish.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Question to Radio Yerevan: Is it true that man and woman can copulate while running?

Answer: Normally no, because man with pants down run less fast than woman with skirt up. However, if woman is crossdresser, then possible.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Medicalizing all forms of behavior and then using medical diagnoses to restrict people's behavior is cutting edge authoritarianism. Looks like the Russians have still got it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Given that driving is one of the most dangerous activities in which one may participate, I appreciate the intent behind the new Russian law to protect its treasured sexual minorities from serious injury and death by automobile accident.

Hey does anyone have a link to that article on how evangelical groups from the USA bankrolled anti-gay lobbying in Russia?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Helsing posted:

Medicalizing all forms of behavior and then using medical diagnoses to restrict people's behavior is cutting edge authoritarianism. Looks like the Russians have still got it.

In hell, Andrei Snezhnevsky smiles.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Given that driving is one of the most dangerous activities in which one may participate, I appreciate the intent behind the new Russian law to protect its treasured sexual minorities from serious injury and death by automobile accident.

The US military's goal for years.

http://www.theonion.com/video/gays-too-precious-to-risk-in-combat-says-general,14158/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I really hope so.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The world is increasingly looking like a long stream of articles from The Onion, and not in a good way.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Let's be fair here, Russia's high point in all it's history has been the USSR period, during which political dissidents were thrown in gulags and ineffective half-assed attempts at imperialism were the norm.

Lenin was probably the best leader Russia has ever had, and that says a great deal more about Russia than it does about Lenin.

"And then, somehow, it got worse."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Let's be fair here, Russia's high point in all it's history has been the USSR period, during which political dissidents were thrown in gulags and ineffective half-assed attempts at imperialism were the norm.

Lenin was probably the best leader Russia has ever had, and that says a great deal more about Russia than it does about Lenin.

"And then, somehow, it got worse."

"We wanted the best, but it turned out like always."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

blowfish posted:

"We wanted the best, but it turned out like always."

Moscow wins again, time for round 3434.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yo I can't find any source for this whatsoever coming out of russia

"The government resolution, dated Dec. 29 and signed by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, lists numerous medical conditions, including "mental and behavioral disorders" defined by the World Health Organization, that the government believes disqualify a person for a driving license"
note that the WHO still lists being transgendered as a mental disorder

so did they just use an international standard of health as something to be considered when people apply for licences which has been convoluted into them explicitly banning transgendered people?

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
But do troons have to sit at the back of the bus? And if so is it just so they have room for their long legs and the chips on their shoulders?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vermain posted:

The world is increasingly looking like a long stream of articles from The Onion, and not in a good way.

Imagine how it feels to write for The Onion. It must be very frustrating...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Modest Mao posted:

"The government resolution, dated Dec. 29 and signed by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, lists numerous medical conditions, including "mental and behavioral disorders" defined by the World Health Organization, that the government believes disqualify a person for a driving license"

so did they just use an international standard of health as something to be considered when people apply for licences which has been convoluted into them explicitly banning transgendered people?

Rusadvocat posted:

07.01.15 Russian government has restricted the rights of LGBT, amputee and color-blind to drive a vehicle
As the press-service of the Association of Russian Lawyers for Human Rights said, 06 January 2015 Russian Government adopted the decision №1604 "About the list of the medical contraindications, medical conditions and medical restrictions to driving", which significantly restricted the rights of LGBT people, people with limb amputation and rare, including and hereditary eye diseases, people shorter than 150 cm to drive a vehicle. All these groups may stay without the driving license.
First time Russia included to the list of medical contraindications to driving the group of diseases, according to the International Classification of Diseases №10, the personality disorders and behavior in adulthood F60 - F69. All transgender people, bigender, asexuals, transvestites, crossdressers, people who need in a sex reassignment were recognized by Russian Government as a people with the deviations. The state deprived these groups their rights to drive a vehicle.

According to the decision of Russian Government, Russian well-known artists, such as Verka Serduchka, the parodist Alexander Peskov, who dress up in women's images, the well-known foreign singer Conchita Wurst should be denied of the driver's license.
The achromatopsia also is the reason of the refusal in obtaining of the driver's license, like the amputee.
The experts of the Association stressed, that the decision of Russian Government will cause the serious violations of human rights, the decision demonstrates the prejudice against the groups of citizens.
The experts of the Association said, that the reason of the refusal in obtaining of the driver's license may be, for example, the visit of a human to the sex-shop: if the police get the information about the purchase in the sex-shop (handcuffs, dildo) the human may lose the driver's license.
The women with underdeveloped breasts, men with the deviation in the development of secondary sexual characteristics, man with a thin beard, woman with abundant growth of body hair may lose the driver's license or get the refusal in obtaining of the driver's license. If police get the information about your sexual preferences, for example, the preferences of the elements of the sadomasochism in the intimate sphere, about the couple exchanging underwear, people may lose their driver's license.

Also, the decision allows to use the practice of the writing of the denunciations about the sexual preferences against LGBT.
The restricting of the rights of the amputees deprives them of the driving. The amputees in USSR could use the cars with the special mechanisms, which allowed them to be the equal members of society, people with the growth of 150 centimeters could use the special devices.
The presence of prosthetic limbs, the digital prosthetic eye or eyes do not remove the limitation on driving.

In fact, experts say the Association, the decision demonstrates the invasion of the privacy of each person who plans to drive a vehicle, the resolution discriminates the individuals and the groups of citizens, obviously contradicts the international legal norms and standards, the Constitution the Russian Federation. Also new regulation provides a new growth of corruption.
The experts of the Association of Russian Lawyers for Human Rights will prepare the complaints to the Presidential Council on Human Rights; the complaint to Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation and to the international organizations.

So, no, they did not specifically single out LGBT people, instead adding in certain disabilities and sexual fetishism alongside it. I guess this is okay because these are disorders?

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Effectronica posted:

So, no, they did not specifically single out LGBT people, instead adding in certain disabilities and sexual fetishism alongside it. I guess this is okay because these are disorders?

Effectronica posted:

According to the decision of Russian Government, Russian well-known artists, such as Verka Serduchka, the parodist Alexander Peskov, who dress up in women's images, the well-known foreign singer Conchita Wurst should be denied of the driver's license.

Had to look up the people being forbidden from driving. Jesus has been banned. :( Russia is really trying to distract their population from serious economic and global issues they are currently facing. Is is working as long as people do not riot in the streets demanding change.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Modest Mao posted:

Even IF that's what happened and that's not just a stupid attempt to justify banning transexual people from driving it's still a stupid law because the only impairments that should disqualify someone from driving are ones that affect your ability to drive.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Anosmoman posted:

Tried in the 80s already. The gerontocrats had no idea how good the now older and shell-shocked soviet man was at finding alcohol.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

blowfish posted:

"We wanted the best, but it turned out like the rest."
At least go with the interesting translation.

I'm just waiting for the day that political opposition is reclassified (re-reclassified?) as a mental illness.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Had to look up the people being forbidden from driving. Jesus has been banned. :( Russia is really trying to distract their population from serious economic and global issues they are currently facing. Is is working as long as people do not riot in the streets demanding change.

Considering Putin's approval ratings go through the roof every time he comes up with even worse policies, I'm not holding my breath.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

They did, except it's not exactly a blanket ban of all disorders since some conditions were specifically excluded from the ban list (like tobacco addiction and autism)
OTOH if you got OCD, you can't drive in Russia anymore

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
OCD? How does impair driving.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Kurtofan posted:

OCD? How does impair driving.

How does *THAT* impair drivi -veers off a cliff and dies-

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don't think any of it is rational, unless you look at it from the perspective of getting people who are trans-phobic or don't understand how many psychological disorders work on your side politically. Unfortunately, it is probably then considering Russia at the moment, it is sadly probably a sensible strategy.

As the Russian economy continues to go down the tubes with oil prices, more these laws are going to be passed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

blowfish posted:

Are you implying there will be more dashcam videos worth watching now that transsexuals can't drive anymore? Comrade Putin is cracking down hard on Russia's problems!

(seriously, how far removed from reality do people have to be to think "ban transsexuals from driving" makes sense?)

Sounds more like, rather than "ban all transsexuals from driving", the actual policy was "ban people with mental illnesses from driving" and Russia just so happens to classify transsexuals as mentally ill so it was on the list of things disqualifying people from driving - along with a large number of other things.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Even IF that's what happened and that's not just a stupid attempt to justify banning transexual people from driving it's still a stupid law because the only impairments that should disqualify someone from driving are ones that affect your ability to drive.

Yes, but frame it as what it is - discrimination against the mentally ill and a number of other groups including LGBTs. At the very least it'd probably lead to less lovely jokes than hyperfocusing in on just one of the many groups affected.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Sounds more like, rather than "ban all transsexuals from driving", the actual policy was "ban people with mental illnesses from driving" and Russia just so happens to classify transsexuals as mentally ill so it was on the list of things disqualifying people from driving - along with a large number of other things.

Yes, but frame it as what it is - discrimination against the mentally ill and a number of other groups including LGBTs. At the very least it'd probably lead to less lovely jokes than hyperfocusing in on just one of the many groups affected.

Yeah, I think discrimination of people with OCD and other disorders in which people can still be perfectly functional is just as bad even if it isn't based on identity (although genetics maybe play a part in both, I don't know it is conclusive or not yet). It reminds me of how fearful may people are of their kids being diagnosed with even a learning disability, better it be kept quiet and diagnosed then it being "official" since who knows where it will lead. Just keep your head down, get out of the way of the state.

That said, it looks like the discriminatory laws are only getting more severe alongside the decline of the economy.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Take my freepers, please Russia.

• Locked thread