Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:siren:This thread will contain spoilers for Season 1. Watch that first you dope.:siren:

DURARARA!! is a light novel series written by Ryohgo Narita, with 13 volumes released from 2004 to 2014. It's pretty much the story of a Dullahan working as an underground courier in the Tokyo district of Ikebukuro and the chaos unfolding around the most dangerous people in the city. It got an anime adaption of its first 3 volumes in 2010, spanning 25 episodes, and now in 2015 it will adapt the remaining 10 volumes in three cours. With the first airing in January, the second in July and third in January 2016.

Yeah, another light novel adaption, but before you go running it might interest you to know the series is penned by the same man who wrote Baccano!, a fantastic series that everyone should watch. While not quite as good I thought DRRR's first season met a similar level of entertainment, although it did have some pacing issues in its second half. Hopefully those issues will be avoided this time though, as it is adapting 3 times the content in not even 2 times the episodes. The novel's its adapting are also a lot better than the first three so it has got that going for it as well. And at the very least it will likely avoid the lame and abrupt ending of season 1. This and Jojo make this season really exciting to me and i'm glad to jump back into this show.

Introduction [Shamelessly taken from the official website]

Ikebukuro...
A city brimming with trouble...and the people who are swayed by them. The leader of the "Dollars" wanders, the missing "Yellow Scarves", the wavering wielder of the demon sword "Saika", the headless rider and underground doctor couple and the young informant who fights the most vicious man of Ikebukuro.
For this new series new players will be joining these familiar faces: a very inquisitive transfer student, a beautiful Russian handywoman, a handsome motorcycle gang leader, and a scarred gangster... each one will surely add to the drama!
Once again the streets of Ikebukuro will witness a series of mysterious incidents involving these eccentric characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsSDzPso2hA

Staff
Official Website: http://www.durarara2usa.com/
Original Creator: Ryohgo Narita
Original illustration: Suzuhito Yasuda
Animation Production: Shuka
Director: Takahiro Omori
Composition: Noboru Takagi
Character Design: Takahiro Kishida
Music: Makoto Yoshimori

Characters

Celty Sturluson
Voice: Miyuki Sawashiro

The "Headless Rider" who appears in Ikebukuro.
She is joined by her familiar--Cóiste-bodhar (a headless horse).
She is a Dullahan originally from Ireland but came to Japan in search of her missing head.

Mikado Ryugamine
Voice: Toshiyuki Toyonaga

A high school student who moved to Ikebukuro to attend Raira Academy.
He admires the irregular lifestyle in the city. He is one of the founders of the infamous color gang "Dollars."

Masaomi Kida
Voice: Mamoru Miyano

Mikado's childhood friend and the one who actually convinces Mikado to transfer to Raira Academy.
His jokes are on the lame side but his personality helps make people feel comfortable.
He was the leader of the color gang, "Yellow Scarves," but disappeared after their clash with the "Dollars."

Anri Sonohara
Voice: Kana Hanazawa

Mikado's classmate.
She is a bespectacled busty beauty with a reserved personality.
She controls the demon sword "Saika" and wields a katana.

Izaya Orihara
Voice: Hiroshi Kamiya

An informant mostly active within Shinjuku.
Shizuo is his arch nemesis. He also possesses Celty's head and is very interested in this specimen.

Shizuo Heiwajima
Voice: Daisuke Ono

A loan shark known as "Ikebukuro's strongest and most dangerous man."
He hates Izaya immensely and is ready to kill him whenever they cross each other's paths.

Shinra Kishitani
Voice: Jun Fukuyama

An underground doctor of Ikebukuro.
He speaks using four-word idioms. He has been in love with Celty since he was very young and now that they share their feelings for each other, he lives a very happy life.

And Many, Many More...

Rules
  1. No Spoilers. The last novel came out a year ago now and the one's they're adapting first way before that. And i'm assuming that the majority haven't read them, so don't be a dick and bring up stuff from future novels, they'll be covered eventually.
  2. Feel free to talk about Season 1 to your heart's content. It's been out for four years now so everyone should have seen it already. And those who haven't should leave this thread and watch the first season. It's on Crunchyroll, you've got no reason not to. It's quite good really.

And before I forget. :siren:Crunchyroll will be streaming the show, so watch it there.:siren:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gonna start this thread off with the unpopular opinion that S1's first OP was poo poo, and I hope we don't end up with another boring first OP this season.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

pandaK posted:

Gonna start this thread off with the unpopular opinion that S1's first OP was poo poo, and I hope we don't end up with another boring first OP this season.
The second OP was poo poo compared to the first one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wasn't impressed by the tracks used in either OP but I really like the structure they had, with introducing all the characters, so I still enjoyed them. Even though it's a different studio I hope they decide to keep with that structure, it's cool and more animes with large casts should do it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The only good parts of both OPs were the Shizuo parts, but while the second OPs song wasn't as well composed as the first, it didn't make me fall asleep to it like the first one did.

But at least I hope we can all agree that the first ED > second ED

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

The first op track is my favorite, I will fight you.

I hope they keep the same design for the op's. It been mostly the same since Baccano and it still owns.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Woah check out pandaK being incredibly wrong about anime music.

pandaK posted:

But at least I hope we can all agree that the first ED > second ED

Except for this part.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thread title is mean to Durarara, stop being mean to Durarara.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Thread title is mean to Durarara, stop being mean to Durarara.

I'm sorry. But it is the truth.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you refrain from saying the truth all the time, because it's rude.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Durarara started pretty awesome, but the second half was hot garbage, and I hate hate hate HATE that girl with the magic sword.

Truth be told, I'm not really looking forward to this, unless this show somehow stops being about the three stupid kids and is more about headless horsemen and, well, anybody but the kids. I'll definitely check out the first few episodes or so, though; there's still hope it'll be more like Baccano!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Sometimes you refrain from saying the truth all the time, because it's rude.

Okay. New Mod when you are chosen please change the thread title to "DURARARA!!x2 - No, the author doesn't know what it means either"

Torquemadras posted:

Durarara started pretty awesome, but the second half was hot garbage, and I hate hate hate HATE that girl with the magic sword.

Truth be told, I'm not really looking forward to this, unless this show somehow stops being about the three stupid kids and is more about headless horsemen and, well, anybody but the kids. I'll definitely check out the first few episodes or so, though; there's still hope it'll be more like Baccano!

Actually Anri was good because in the later half all Masaomi and Mikado did was stare at their phones and be depressed and boring, while she at least tried to do stuff and actively help.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked both halves quite a lot, so I'm pretty stoked for this new season.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The second half was boring because the kids were the most boring of the characters. Hope there is more focus on the others

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I asked this way back in the winter anime thread, but for anyone who actually read the novels, I heard that Mikado was actually toned down in S1 compared to the novels so he became more of a wet blanket. I mention this since I heard his character goes down some interesting routes later on which somewhat conflict with his S1 characterization.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Allarion posted:

I asked this way back in the winter anime thread, but for anyone who actually read the novels, I heard that Mikado was actually toned down in S1 compared to the novels so he became more of a wet blanket. I mention this since I heard his character goes down some interesting routes later on which somewhat conflict with his S1 characterization.

Not really, it's just that over 13 novels all the characters grow and change and the first 3 novels are where he is at his most boring.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

the wildest rear end posted:

The second half was boring because the kids were the most boring of the characters. Hope there is more focus on the others

The entire show is just Izaya parkouring around the city while Shizuo destroys everything behind him.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Allarion posted:

i read a japanese to chinese to english translation of the first 10 novels and this isnt true. like the other dude said all the characters develop more and change. season 1 mikado is just a basic bitch. his time will come

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

But I wanted to fiiiight!

dude plz get off my bike...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

The entire show is just Izaya parkouring around the city while Shizuo destroys everything behind him.

I would watch that every day

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

speaking of the novels looks like Yen Press is going to published them. first novel stated for July 2015

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-09/yen-press-adds-durarara-novels-strike-the-blood-black-bullet-rust-blaster-manga/.83089

----------------

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

speaking of the novels looks like Yen Press is going to published them. first novel stated for July 2015

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-09/yen-press-adds-durarara-novels-strike-the-blood-black-bullet-rust-blaster-manga/.83089

Huh, last I heard Vamp! was the only one of Narita's novels that was considering getting translated since it's much shorter. This has a much higher chance of actually selling though.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Does anyone know the time when the first episode is suppose to air?

I'm looking forward to more Izaya and Shizuo trying to murder each other aka "antics" this season.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Myurton posted:

Does anyone know the time when the first episode is suppose to air?

I'm looking forward to more Izaya and Shizuo trying to murder each other aka "antics" this season.

A little over six hours from now, I think. Maybe sooner if you're actually watching it on Japanese TV.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
OP1 is so QOTSA it hurts.

And it's great.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Durarara got picked up by CR finally, everybody party hard.

e: ...except there's no listing for the coming episode? :shrug:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 10, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Durarara got picked up by CR finally, everybody party hard.

e: ...except there's no listing for the coming episode? :shrug:

Airs at 9am Pacific! In fact it's up now, although I haven't watched it yet.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Xythar are you working on this show?

----------------

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i found them:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hell yes it's those guys! and those guys too! and some new guys!

That pretty much sums up the first episode, but I am so on board with this.

run Celty run! :ohdear:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 10, 2015

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The new murderer is the guy from Hotline Miami.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well that was pretty fun. Not much in the way of plot, but definitely a setup. We didn't see much of the new characters except for the Afro CEO, but They'll get their moments I'm sure.

I hope we get another cameo from the best Baccano characters again.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

the wildest rear end posted:

The new murderer is the guy from Hotline Miami.
BTW is your avatar by per chance Hitagi doing that animation from (Me!Me!Me!)?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
First season owned. This still owns too.

I love that Celty's literally a monster, but she's scared shitless by a completely human cop :allears:

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Cake Attack posted:

i found them:

I'm really hoping Max Sandshelt is actually Issac, it sounds like the same VA. Issac's cameo in the first season was completely unexpected and a huge highlight for me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i found them:

Oh poo poo, I didn't see it when you first posted it. Well played DRRR.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

BTW is your avatar by per chance Hitagi doing that animation from (Me!Me!Me!)?

Yup, that's what it is.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dota-chin, you got poo poo tastes in light novels, man.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Any reason why Celty seems really scared of the cop on the bike? I think it was mentioned last season but I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kleptobot posted:

Any reason why Celty seems really scared of the cop on the bike? I think it was mentioned last season but I can't remember.

No "real" reason, he just creeps her the hell out somehow.

• Locked thread