Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

The moral of this post is that the world needs more Baccano.

You could read the translated novels if you want. They don't have the soundtrack or the accents but they're still fantastic. Hell, most of them were even done by competent translators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It got an anime adaption of its first 3 volumes in 2010, spanning 25 episodes, and now in 2015 it will adapt the remaining 10 volumes in three cours. With the first airing in January, the second in July and third in January 2016.

Hopefully those issues will be avoided this time though, as it is adapting 3 times the content in not even 2 times the episodes.

How is that not a terrible thing. That makes me really nervous. I mean it's one thing if a show is unnaturally long because it's being padded out but if the material's there, I say use it. Good thing I haven't read the novels. I'd probably :spergin: out and vomit :words: about how they aren't doing it right and how I'm going to give it a really low score on MAL and brb killing self

Man it's been almost four years since I last watched any of this. I can't remember who half of these characters are and only vaguely remember what they did. :(

Like who is the girl with Evil Bad Man.... Izaya.

or the girl with Blonde High School Trio Guy... Masaomi (If this is a new character "spoilers" is an acceptable complete answer.)

This is one of the few times I actually wish there was some kind of a recap episode or two since there's no movie(s). Maybe as a special.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zogundar posted:

How is that not a terrible thing. That makes me really nervous. I mean it's one thing if a show is unnaturally long because it's being padded out but if the material's there, I say use it. Good thing I haven't read the novels. I'd probably :spergin: out and vomit :words: about how they aren't doing it right and how I'm going to give it a really low score on MAL and brb killing self

Man it's been almost four years since I last watched any of this. I can't remember who half of these characters are and only vaguely remember what they did. :(

Like who is the girl with Evil Bad Man.... Izaya.

or the girl with Blonde High School Trio Guy... Masaomi (If this is a new character "spoilers" is an acceptable complete answer.)

This is one of the few times I actually wish there was some kind of a recap episode or two since there's no movie(s). Maybe as a special.

I have read the novels and i'm already thinking it, though it's hardly the studio's fault. It's just an inevitable part of an adaption, hell I even thought that way about Baccano after reading the novels, and Baccano is one of my favourite animes of all time. That doesn't mean the anime can't also be good though, and since you haven't read the novels you have nothing to worry about. And about the pacing, two of the novels are basically filler and can pretty much be skipped so i'm not too worried about it on that front. 36 episodes is more than enough.

Also, and about the characters. Read this http://www.durarara2usa.com/character/. The official site has small bios for every character in the show including those who haven't appeared yet so get caught up there. I actually should link this in the OP so thanks for reminding me.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i hope they devote an entire cour to covering the "Lovey Dovey Prattles of an Underground Doctor" parts of the novels

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if the first or second cour will end with volume 6, where very, very interesting things happen...

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
Just wanna preempt people who plan to respond to this and say as the op states no spoilers from the novel's. I know that wasn't necessarily a spoiler but just wanna keep people from responding with such.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Liked the first season less and less as it wore on, as it became apparent that it wasn't interested in taking itself seriously.

Partly my fault for expecting another Baccano, but the show seemed to go out if its way to evoke it with the OP, and the first few episodes being mysterious. Anyway, not sure what I was expecting from a second season; it seems to be continuing in the same goofball vein, which is fine for the folks that enjoyed it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baccano was serious?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Baccano was serious?

Deadly. Isaac and Miria were some stone cold sons of bitches

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CuLT posted:

Liked the first season less and less as it wore on, as it became apparent that it wasn't interested in taking itself seriously.

Just the opposite honestly. It tried to be more serious than it needed to be and didn't do it so well.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Baccano was serious?

"Takes itself seriously" is not the same as "serious."

It has a narrative structure, an overarching plot, and consequences in a way that I don't believe DRRR does. Even Isaac and Miria are somewhat reminiscent of a Greek chorus, unlike their otaku "equivalents" in DRRR.

Maybe I can lean on tvtropes to expand upon the point?

ViggyNash posted:

Just the opposite honestly. It tried to be more serious than it needed to be and didn't do it so well.

I like comedies, but it feels like this show promised something it later decided it couldn't deliver on, and fell back on hijinks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CuLT posted:

"Takes itself seriously" is not the same as "serious."

It has a narrative structure, an overarching plot, and consequences in a way that I don't believe DRRR does. Even Isaac and Miria are somewhat reminiscent of a Greek chorus, unlike their otaku "equivalents" in DRRR.

Maybe I can lean on tvtropes to expand upon the point?

I like comedies, but it feels like this show promised something it later decided it couldn't deliver on, and fell back on hijinks.

The van gang are in no way the equivalents of Isaac and Miria and if you came in expecting Baccano! but in modern Japan, you were going to be disappointed no matter what. Also, I still don't know what you mean by saying DRRR relied more on hijinks, I mean it definitely had some but Baccano was often pretty wacky itself even in serious moments. I suppose it was more grounded in that it didn't have an Irish mythical creature as one of it's main characters, but it's not as if a Dullahan is more out-there than a Wish-Granting Demon and Immortal's.

I do agree that it had far superior narrative structure as they were able to hide how loosely connected the 3 arcs they adapted were by having them happen simultaneously. It also didn't end on a complete anti-climax so it has that over DRRR as well.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Please stop making GBS threads on this show for something it's not. It is what it is, and is still awesome to watch. Baccano's not coming back. Move on.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The van gang are in no way the equivalents of Isaac and Miria and if you came in expecting Baccano! but in modern Japan, you were going to be disappointed no matter what. Also, I still don't know what you mean by saying DRRR relied more on hijinks, I mean it definitely had some but Baccano was often pretty wacky itself even in serious moments. I suppose it was more grounded in that it didn't have an Irish mythical creature as one of it's main characters, but it's not as if a Dullahan is more out-there than a Wish-Granting Demon and Immortal's.

I do agree that it had far superior narrative structure as they were able to hide how loosely connected the 3 arcs they adapted were by having them happen simultaneously. It also didn't end on a complete anti-climax so it has that over DRRR as well.

Honestly I didn't come into it expecting Baccano (only watched DRRR very recently), I only made the connection after the OP was so similar.

Maybe I do just irrationally associate the initial tone / presentation of the show with what I enjoyed in Baccano. Perhaps that's not fair, but, gah, pattern matching :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Anyone who tries to say Durarara takes itself less seriously than Baccano is loving stupid and/or very wrong. Baccano is the least serious most mood-whiplash inducing show to ever exist, and is great partially because of it. Every time Isaac and Miria appear you suddenly go from 'gruesome horrible death and half eaten bodies' to them doing the wave while shouting over each other.

And I don't think the story is any more grounded in reality or far fetched than Durarara.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Anyone who tries to say Durarara takes itself less seriously than Baccano is loving stupid and/or very wrong. Baccano is the least serious most mood-whiplash inducing show to ever exist, and is great partially because of it. Every time Isaac and Miria appear you suddenly go from 'gruesome horrible death and half eaten bodies' to them doing the wave while shouting over each other.

And I don't think the story is any more grounded in reality or far fetched than Durarara.

Woahwoahwoah, calm down buddy. No one else is throwing down with with nukes over this.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ViggyNash posted:

Woahwoahwoah, calm down buddy. No one else is throwing down with with nukes over this.

I don't actually get upset, I just jump to calling things 'loving stupid' real quick, sorry. But I was just doing a rewatch of Baccano and like, you go from an immortal in the body of a child being tortured to death over and over again, to Isaac and Miria... being Isaac and Miria, in the course of one episode.

So it really stood out to me.

Edit: And then after the bloody train massacre arc is over, the first episode after it opens with... everyone building domino things together, and then knocking it over.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, looks like they up and double the cast. This is already getting pretty crazy.

Also Shizuo threw a fit and it was awesome.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This seems like a good excuse to go back and rewatch the original series so I can remember who the hell these people are, and what happened to them. I'll probably catch up to the thread in another 2 weeks or so. For a show with such a high dialogue to action ratio, the episodes pass by remarkably fast.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rangpur posted:

This seems like a good excuse to go back and rewatch the original series so I can remember who the hell these people are, and what happened to them. I'll probably catch up to the thread in another 2 weeks or so. For a show with such a high dialogue to action ratio, the episodes pass by remarkably fast.
It's fairly easy to remember what the characters do, but hell if I can remember any of their names.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

It's fairly easy to remember what the characters do, but hell if I can remember any of their names.

The second op wasn't as good, but at least it made it easier to remember the names by putting them in English

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

drat new kid's a smooth operator

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There had to have been a less awkward way of presenting events in a non-chronological order other than having Shinra explain everything to the audience.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Paracelsus posted:

After seeing their names at the start of each episode I'm good with all names of the first series' characters, the thing I can't remember is how much everyone knows about each other. It's a fair bet that Izaya knows everything about everyone, but I have no idea who knows who in the chat room and who if anyone knows the leaders of the three gangs.

Cake Attack posted:

drat new kid's a smooth operator
After speaking to them outside of the school he's probably wishing he didn't get himself involved though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

After seeing their names at the start of each episode for the first series I'm good with all names of the first series' characters, the thing I can't remember is how much everyone knows about each other. It's a fair bet that Izaya knows everything about everyone, but I have no idea who knows who in the chat room and who if anyone knows the leaders of the three gangs.

After speaking to them outside of the school he's probably wishing he didn't get himself involved though.

I don't think anyone except Izaya knows who everyone in the chat room is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

InspectorCarbonara posted:

After seeing their names at the start of each episode I'm good with all names of the first series' characters, the thing I can't remember is how much everyone knows about each other. It's a fair bet that Izaya knows everything about everyone, but I have no idea who knows who in the chat room and who if anyone knows the leaders of the three gangs.

Celty is probably the only person other than Izaya who knows the kids are gang leaders.

Also in the chatroom, Celty and Anri know each other, Mikado knows Izaya and is pretty sure about Masaomi, and Izaya knows everyone. Masaomi has only had like two scenes in the chatroom so other than Izaya we don't know who he knows.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Celty is probably the only person other than Izaya who knows the kids are gang leaders.
I'd say the most knowledgeable people other than Izaya are Dota-chin and Simon. As far as Dota-chin I remember he knows all about Mikado and Kida, I just don't remember if he knows jack about Anri.

As far as the chatrooms go, the biggest lack of information for is either not knowing who Celty is or Izaya.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Twiddy posted:

I'd say the most knowledgeable people other than Izaya are Dota-chin and Simon. As far as Dota-chin I remember he knows all about Mikado and Kida, I just don't remember if he knows jack about Anri.

As far as the chatrooms go, the biggest lack of information for is either not knowing who Celty is or Izaya.

Kadota knows Mikado's a member of Dollars (and knows jack-poo poo about Anri) but I think only Celty and Izaya know he's the founder, and I don't think Simon actually knows much about the kid's gangs beyond whatever Saki told him about Izaya and Kida. He's just observant enough to realise they are dealing with darker stuff than kids really should.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh poo poo Shinra got nabbed by the yakuza!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

drat those Japanese school girls. Always sniffing paint thinner to get high.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ethiser posted:

drat those Japanese school girls. Always sniffing paint thinner to get high.

And getting their stuff set on fire.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maybe a bit of a callback to how Izaya dealt with that one girl back in season 1. Must be a family thing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I don't think I can stop mentally doing this for the season 2 opening
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=RMZYRRegRf4&video_start=0&audio=eqQgJxA76Bc&audio_start=0

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best and I will probably never be able to unhear it.

Maybe I'll just mute the op when it plays and hum this song.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

This is the best and I will probably never be able to unhear it.

Maybe I'll just mute the op when it plays and hum this song.

Speaking of...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well that's just not fair. We were trying to have a nice friendly knife fight and you bring in an assault rifle.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, ffs man.

How am I supposed to hum them both at the same time?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sweet, had no idea they were making more DRRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
Durarara is cool because the only good way to say it is to make motorcycle noises.

• Locked thread